Using the P-51D against superior odds: How to make your Pony run

von_Krimm P-51D BoomNZoom

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

von_Krimm #1 Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Community Ace
  • 435 battles

Posting this video to showcase the P-51D (aka Pony, Runstang, Dweebstang) and its awesome abilities.

ps.  Thanks to _LASERGUIDED_ for FRAPing it!

Before the video begins and what you do not see is me clicking on each of the Bf-109Zs to evaluate their threat level; in fact i click on each of the tier 7s and tier 6s to evaluate their threat level and assist me in planning my initial move.  What i determined is that one Z is set-up with hub 30mm and wing 20mm and the other has all 30mm.  Since both Zs have a higher altitude band than anyone on my team and, surely, know this fact, then I need to be on high cover for my team...I climb sharply but staying near two of my team's other tier 7 planes that are best suited for high altitude (the 109G & F4u-4) if the Zs do what I expect and come in high.

Finally at 4k meters and with the main body of my team a 3 minutes into the match, I get a red carat at a higher altitude than myself coming from the SE and see that i am the only one on high cover.  I lock the lone Z as my target and see it is the player with the 30/20 set-up and by locking him as the target, the four indicates below tell me that I do not want to accept a head-on pass with him, that top speed differential is negligible (I have a slight advantage), that i am superior in the turn-fight, and that the advantage for altitude band differential is negligible (he has a slight advantage) all of that coupled with him having a real altitude advantage tells me I will need to manage my energy state while converting the fight from BnZ where he holds the advantage into a turn-fight where I hold the advantage.  Things start well with the initial merge where he misses me and I start to work in on him and get some licks in and have him down to 50% and I'm relatively whole until about the 4 minute mark in the video when he decides to extend out to try and come back at me with the HO where his superior firepower can obliterate me.  Taking a few pings of damage from him seems to encourage him to turn sooner and try to repeat the maneuver.  here is where I realize that this is about to become the turn fight, nose down to pick-up a smidgen more E and get set to capitalize if a maneuver presents itself where I can get on his six.  At last I'm on his six and dispatch him. 

I Quickly look at the rosters and minimap, see we are 3 vs. 6 with a two point superiority and that one of my last two team mates is surrounded, that the other has my six and looks to be engaging the red guy behind me.  I immediately head SE to assist but estimate that it is going to be a 2 vs. 5 in short order; oops, 2 vs. 6 happens while I'm diving into the fight.  Will all this smash (i.e. speed and thus energy) I have, I decide to go BnZ on the least healthy enemy, the A6m5, who I also estimate to be the biggest threat to me if I decide to go after another plane before I extend out (the zoom part) as the a6m5's turn-rate can allow him to get guns on me quickly.  I also see our 410 headed into the fray and decide I must try and get one more enemy; a P-51A presents itself but I can't do enough damage to put him down and I abandon our 410 to his fate so I can retain speed and convert it into altitude. The 410 does take an enemy with him and makes it a 1 vs. 4 fight and I know that their 410 is porking ground targets.

I consider taking on the 3 planes behind me but eschew it for taking-out their 410 because I evaluate it to be the greatest threat to me and a victory with its cannons; also, it is alone and I'd rather go one-on-one rather than three-on-one.  I turn for where I recall the 410 last hitting GTs at and think he'll be pretty low and that i won't need to pick-up any altitude...wrong!  When i locate him i see we are co-alt and that he is offset and fast.  I evade and take him up hoping that i can convert this to a turn fight before help arrives for him; he declines and spends not too much time with me before extending to his buddies.  Enter the P-51A, I cannot do anything but accept the HO with the P-51A and hope that my higher DPS and health are enough against him; we merge and turn and i put him out of the fight, but that 410 is back along with the M.20 and the last p-51A!  Back on the 410 I go as it is still the biggest threat to me and a win.  The guns on the M.20 I discount as I'm out running him and the Pony-A is no where to be seen I turn on the 410. The 410 goes down but the M.20 now has an altitude advantage and I don't know where their Pony-A is, so I decide to keep the M.20 in visual range and gain some altitude; when I lose sight of the M.20, I turn back and find the Pony-A has joined him; I turn away and keep my speed up, lose visual again and reacquire

I see that the Pony-A has moved off, probably to go hit GTs and re-set Supremacy so i move to engage the M.20 and accept the HO....bad choice on my part and I pay for it...BUT without support I know the M.20 is done and go another round with him and expect that he may try to ram...yup, he does try.  I select  a loop and complete the maneuver with him where I can get guns on him.  It is now a 1 vs. 1 with Supremacy in our favor, no idea where their last plane is or how high he is, low altitude and low health; i elect to run-out Supremacy unless he hits a GT and makes the minimap flash, in which case I'll then go after him.  We get the supremacy victory.

Summary, evaluate each enemy plane versus what your team has; check the stats of each enemy plane and make an initial plan for what you are going to do in the match.  Pay attention to how things evolve on the minimap, team roster, and Supremacy counter.  KEEP YOU SITUATIONAL AWARENESS AT ALL TIMES; SA is key to knowing when to stay in the fight and pursue a BnZ, convert to a turn fight, and when to extend so you may regain altitude.  Never fight your enemy on their terms in the Mustang, the P-51D has too many aspects that it is good at for you to be "forced" into fighting a fight that lets the other guy have the advantages.

Edited by von_Krimm, 11 March 2014 - 10:23 PM.

I like my <CENSORED> like I like my <CENSORED> ; aged <CENSORED> to <CENSORED> years and mixed-up with <CENSORED> .If you take fire from the spouse-AA about the former, launch flares and dump chaff: $$$visa$$$amex$$$vonKrimm2.png

FlakValleyExpress #2 Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

Captain

• 64 battles

Wow, never knew planes could go so high in altitude.:ohmy: And another factor it's good to see other pilots stomping on the boost beyond endurance just like me. :great: One day I will get the P-51D to fly too. Good match example. :great:

1.X WoWP veteran - Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0 - Non-Russian

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature- Let's be Professional, Fix it! - Be the gold standard for MMO warplanes. Ditch the Zero and get with a Hero WoWP - Best troll game in 2018/2019

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

TheWhiteRaven #3 Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 301 battles

Excellent job, sir.

- TWR

White Raven Gaming - a Community for Gamers that Play Hard and With a Sense of Humor

Find us on YouTube (search White Raven Gaming) for Ace matches, funny moments, and tips and tricks!

Creator of WoWP Flight Log (wowpflights.com), a replay site for World of Warplanes

von_Krimm #4 Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Community Ace
  • 435 battles
Updated with narative.  (Shameless bump)
I like my <CENSORED> like I like my <CENSORED> ; aged <CENSORED> to <CENSORED> years and mixed-up with <CENSORED> .If you take fire from the spouse-AA about the former, launch flares and dump chaff: $$$visa$$$amex$$$vonKrimm2.png

SkywhaleExpress #5 Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Very well done, von_Krimm. Although, I do say it helped to be in an OP plane... you were doing it solo style, and against some other very OP planes.

I LOVE the altitude you chased him to, lol. Bet he was sweating the whole time. :veryhappy:

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

roneth #6 Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
Thanks for this.  I want to do well in the P-51D as it is an iconic plane but I am struggling a bit in the 51A still.

SkywhaleExpress #7 Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postroneth, on 11 March 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

Thanks for this.  I want to do well in the P-51D as it is an iconic plane but I am struggling a bit in the 51A still.

Fly it in the fashion that vK just displayed, and you'll at least have a high survival and kill rate.

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

HEAVEYGEAR #8 Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 699 battles
Bookmarked, awesome example of flying skills!  :playing:

I've knocked on death's door.....no one answered.....I don't complain much anymore.

Me.

CrazyBricker #9 Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
Ssssssweeeet!!!!

209 #10 Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:31 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
Nicely done, what I was looking at was your 95 fps and 1ping. I have no problem with the fps sure wish my ping was lower. I run around 95 t0 120 ms.

petersleepy #11 Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:33 AM

TnB Rights Activist

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [MLPVA] MLPVA

View Post209, on 11 March 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

Nicely done, what I was looking at was your 95 fps and 1ping. I have no problem with the fps sure wish my ping was lower. I run around 95 t0 120 ms.

The ping is 1 on replays because it is all client side. When actually playing, his ping will not be that low.

"It's only game, why you heff to be mad?" ~Ilya Bryzgalov

F50ACE #12 Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:35 AM

Boom'N'Zoom rights activist

• Community Ace
  • 8 battles
  • [PTATO] PTATO

View Post209, on 11 March 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

If I recall, Replays are on the local system, so that's why you get such a low ping. If it's the same computer that the WoWP client made the replay on then the FPS will be the same.

Peter: :ph34r:

PantherIsReady #13 Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
nice tip. :great:

TRN2LA #14 Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 272 battles
Yeah Im a proud owner of a P51-D Pony and I aint doing so well in it. Im having all sorts of issues getting controls working right (thats a seperate issue though) but im gettin taken out the back and flogged by many craft below my tier :/ Hopefully this helps me out a little! :D

Edited by Supercell_Kid, 13 March 2014 - 06:14 PM.

Don't Tread on Me! Liberty or Death

Capt_SkyWulf #15 Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

Master Sergeant

• 293 battles
Dam fine flying I'd say, and a good pilot knows his plane and how to best use it. good work!

losttwo #16 Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
:great:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users