target sight

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

daddywoofdawg #1 Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles
how do you make the target sight move as fast as the circle with a dot?when I turn and by the time the sight lines up the plane is gone.

DerRittmeister #2 Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [8PANZ] 8PANZ

You'd have to move/ turn your plane faster. The red circle is kinda like a electronic/reflector/hud sight showing you in range/ deflection-lead,etc.

PrettyWoods #3 Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8 battles

You just asked pretty much the biggest question in the game, and the answer will be different for almost every situation you're in.

The circle with the dot is where you want the plane to go.  You can move that around as fast as you want.  The problem is, your plane can only turn and climb at a certain rate.

You have to learn how your plane acts, and make sure it can turn and climb fast enough to do what you want it to.  If it can't, then you're in a bad situation and need to adjust your play style.

For example:  If I'm in an American fighter, and I'm chasing right behind a Japanese fighter at the same speed and they turn left as fast as they can, there's no way for me to turn left and keep up with them.  I can tell my plane to do it, but it just can't turn fast enough that way.  (If you're in that situation you can try flying away with greater speed, climb and add a vertical element to your turn, stay as close behind them as you can so they can't get right on your tail, etc).

If I'm in an American fighter right behind a German Heavy Fighter though, and the same thing happens, my plane can turn left a lot faster than their plane can.  In that case my target sight will always catch up with the enemy plane.

---

Finally, sometimes you will face an enemy where you will never be able to have your target on them for a long time.  If you look at where they are going though, and where your target sight is going, you can hold down the trigger and intersect their path.  An example of this is if you're turning up, and an enemy is turning left.  Your target sight might only pass over them for a split second, but that can be long enough to do major damage if you're ready.

losttwo #4 Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

The black circle is where you want your pane to go or the mouse cursor. The other colorful circle and cross hair combination is where your plane is actually pointing and where the bullets will go.

It is like when you drive a car and looking down the road your eyes are already out of the turn and and looking ahead but your car is still making the turn.

Or you are throwing a pass in football to the receiver. You throw to a specific area in front of him as he is running to meet the ball.

When hunting you often times have to lead a target when it is moving.

Toggle #5 Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 4657 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

This is one of those times I appreciate flying with a joystick.

DeadFishStink #6 Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

Master Sergeant

• 0 battles

Joystick for the win.   Not sure if this helps, or just muddies the water more...  I wonder if he is talking about the red "lead" indicator vs. his actual gunsight?    The red circle represents where you need to be shooting in order for

your bullets to intersect the path of your target.   .Bullets travel in a straight line, and take time to go from point A to point B.   This is the "lead" you need on a moving target since it won't be in the same place it was when you pulled the trigger.   The further away you are, the further in front of your target you need to be aiming at.    Start paying attention to the direction your target is headed, or most likely will head, and try to get your actual gunsight in front of the target.   That way, when your red "lead" circle shows up, you wont need as much time to correct your aim to let loose with some gun fire.   If you are close to your target, the lead time is much smaller, and like Prettywoods said, you may only have a split second to get on the trigger.

triptyx #7 Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

Flying Llama

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [FLLMA] FLLMA

View PostDeadFishStink, on 10 January 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

Joystick for the win.   Not sure if this helps, or just muddies the water more...  I wonder if he is talking about the red "lead" indicator vs. his actual gunsight?    The red circle represents where you need to be shooting in order for

your bullets to intersect the path of your target.   .Bullets travel in a straight line, and take time to go from point A to point B.   This is the "lead" you need on a moving target since it won't be in the same place it was when you pulled the trigger.   The further away you are, the further in front of your target you need to be aiming at.    Start paying attention to the direction your target is headed, or most likely will head, and try to get your actual gunsight in front of the target.   That way, when your red "lead" circle shows up, you wont need as much time to correct your aim to let loose with some gun fire.   If you are close to your target, the lead time is much smaller, and like Prettywoods said, you may only have a split second to get on the trigger.

No, I'm very sure he's confused about the default mouse mode where you put your dot-pointer where you want the plane to go and wait for the plane's crosshairs to "catch up" to it, hopefully managing to place them over the enemy plane's lead indicator to get a shot in.

His plane isn't turning as fast as he'd like (or he's not leading the target enough to force a tighter/steeper maneuver), hence his question.

Golde #8 Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles

View PostToggle, on 10 January 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

This is one of those times I appreciate flying with a joystick.

indeed..

Claudio67 #9 Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 517 battles
Sometimes slowing down or raise flaps will enhance your turn rate so you can reach the lead and then fire, at a cost, obviously, you lose speed and you can't last much time without speed to keep your plane flying. But for "that" little you may need to finish off the kill, try pressing S to set throttle to 0 or E to raise your flaps (both are default keys, may be remapped in Options)

daddywoofdawg #10 Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

I should of said the cross hairs.the circle is there but by the time the cross hairs move up the target is gone.

Also when flying a plane with a seat in the back how do you make the guy shoot?never see him fire.

Edited by daddywoofdawg, 15 January 2014 - 07:42 AM.

triptyx #11 Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

Flying Llama

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [FLLMA] FLLMA

View Postdaddywoofdawg, on 15 January 2014 - 01:34 AM, said:

I should of said the cross hairs.the circle is there but by the time the cross hairs move up the target is gone.

Also when flying a plane with a seat in the back how do you make the guy shoot?never see him fire.

The answers you were given are the answer to your question.  Move the circle ahead of the aircraft you're trying to shoot.  IF you can out-turn him, you'll see your crosshairs catch up to the plane, but they'll remain behind the circle at all times if you're in a hard turn.  You have to lead the plane enough with the circle so that the crosshairs lead the plane enough to fall over the little red lead indicator that indicates where you should shoot to hit the plane.  If you can't move the circle enough to get the crosshairs to fall over that lead helper, you're being out turned and need to find a new strategy, fast!

Here's a video that gives a good demo of target leading:

Does that help or am I missing your question?

JDuxFlyer #12 Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

Senior Airman

• 0 battles

View Posttriptyx, on 15 January 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

. . .

Here's a video that gives a good demo of target leading:

. . .

Thanks for the video. I've been playing around with training and been having a time with the targeting. This video helps. 

I think I'm going to invest in a joystick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users