Perhaps the worst controls for a plane game...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
136 replies to this topic

virgil1030 #81 Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles
Thank you for the useful information.Some of you have to remember that this game is still being develope and most if not all of the problems will be addressed.

virgil1030 #82 Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles
Thank you for the useful information.Some of you have to remember that the game isn't finsh and still being develope.Most of the problems if not all should be adressed by release.

boxtosser #83 Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 0 battles

View Postshwedor, on 04 December 2012 - 03:26 AM, said:

Personally, I think the control options are great. If you want to go blow money on a uber-HOTAS xmaster 9 billion joystick its an option. If you want to blow money on a "gamepad," its an option. If you think flying with a mouse is an intelligent idea, its an option.

I personally prefer using just the arrow keys and spacebar for effectively controlling my plane/firing my guns. The controls work just fine as far as I am concerned. Lag isn't an issue for me as I am living rather close to the server and I have a decent ISP.

World of Warplanes is a radical change from the norm when it comes to flight games, maybe some of you should accept it for what it is. It is not DCS A-10, you do not need a TRACKIR with uberjoystick 900000 $4,000 setup to effectively play this game. All you really need is a keyboard, keep it simple and stupid. I'm actually glad that the keyboard is so effective at controlling the planes, it doesn't give the massive advantage to those with super-expensive setups as does every flight sim game.

For example, Damsinho's post, "I have played a few flight sims and none of them felt like this game."
This is the complete wrong attitude. The idea isn't to be the same as every other flight sim, its to give the game a unique feel that Non-sim and nonplaneguru types will sit down and enjoy for thirty minutes before going back to work. It is a form of arcade flight game, not flight sim. The current flight model does a great job, it allows those who don't know what a split-S or an Immelman is to succeed. The non-planenuts actually stand a chance, and they don't have to take time to go look up every flight maneuver or the physics behind flying.

Agreed absolutely.  It is easy to get into and isn't "pay to win" from a gear standpoint, yet skill-based enough that if you do know what a split S is or energy management, you can use such knowledge to become even better.

"If it could cook, I'd marry it." - Eugene Valencia (23 kills) on the F6F

The cat in my avatar does the flying, I just feed him.

anna_tankgirl #84 Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1 battle

View PostCrag_r, on 20 November 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

How come Microsoft flight sim is so successful? or online games like Call of Duty multiplayer when players first start out?

Excuse me but I am a WoT player I was under some silly impression the controls for this game would be similar in ease of play, with more advanced options for those seeking them.

I'm looking at this as a marketing issue WoT is easy to get the hang of as to controlling the vehicles and firing, this is hardly near that and that is a big turnoff.

stealth250 #85 Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postvirgil1030, on 10 December 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

Thank you for the useful information.Some of you have to remember that this game is still being develope and most if not all of the problems will be addressed.

View Postvirgil1030, on 10 December 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

Thank you for the useful information.Some of you have to remember that the game isn't finsh and still being develope.Most of the problems if not all should be adressed by release.
double post. epic troll :Smile_trollface:

President and Founder of FRAG
FRAG came, FRAG saw, FRAG countered, FRAG accomplished mission

Crag_r #86 Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [ARMDA] ARMDA

View Postanna_tankgirl, on 11 December 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

Excuse me but I am a WoT player I was under some silly impression the controls for this game would be similar in ease of play, with more advanced options for those seeking them.

I'm looking at this as a marketing issue WoT is easy to get the hang of as to controlling the vehicles and firing, this is hardly near that and that is a big turnoff.

Welcome to the third dimension! Well at least from a game-play stand point, these controls will inherently be more complex with an added axis of movement the same goes with all flying games.

This is an excellent example of the issue WG face, most people are screaming for an increase in complexity of the flight model however you have people as shown^ wishing to have it simplified.

Per Ardua ad Astra "Through Adversity to the Stars"

Royal Australian Air Force

FRAG

anna_tankgirl #87 Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1 battle
I've adapted I'm just never, and I mean never, going to dogfight again I'm focusing everything on bombing and ground attacking and the tactics and skills thereof. No dogfighting means no need to get fancy and use most of the options. I sold everything I had that did not carry a heavy bomb rack OR racks of machine guns and added a heavy fighter.

If an enemy plane happens to pop up in front well I will shoot but won't try real hard as far as I'm concerned its not in my in-game obligations that is what agile fighters are for.

anzacjack #88 Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5 battles
the flight control and fire lag are the biggest problem
I have been checking this out regularly with no real improvement. When I move my joystick, my flight controls move instantly (visually) but its usually about half a second before any response or bullets actually leave gun. This make dog fighting very very frustrating as I usually like to get low for Nap of the earth style.
If this is fixed I cant see any reason why this wont be a huge success

K_Legg #89 Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I have to agree.. the controls are a total piece of crap system... right now it's either go gamepad or go home... so why even bother with the other control options... oh i know cause they want money from everyone one day even if they know the controls are unbalanced and crappy...also the spray and pray unlimited arcade i can't aim worth a crap unlimited ammo is just a joke.. any 5 year old could get kills by just holding down the fire button till you hit something. I already know why i uninstalled this game once now i know why i am doing it again at this rate you guys are going to be in CB forever..

Edited by K_Legg, 15 December 2012 - 08:44 AM.

Proof of Ace : Bf 110B x2 ,Bf 110E(G)

canDarian #90 Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
LOL since when did WG start listening to feedback.

The controls need to be scrapped,sure a small percent like them but unless you like playing with urself they're going to need to have a more universal control system or the common player won't even look twice at this game.

Wingsaber42 #91 Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [NZ-T] NZ-T
I can't wait to get my hands on a joystick.  I have tried numerous combinations with Keyboard and Mouse controls, and all are horrible.  Mainly because there is too many.  Turning could be 1 key per side instead of 2, e.c.t.  Basically, THERE IS TOO MANY KEYS.  YOU DONT NEED THAT MANY Warfaming.Net.  GET RID OF SOME AND MAKE THE GAME A HECK OF A LOT EASIER AND MORE FUN TO PLAY!!!

boxtosser #92 Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 0 battles

View PostK_Legg, on 15 December 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

I have to agree.. the controls are a total piece of crap system... right now it's either go gamepad or go home... so why even bother with the other control options... oh i know cause they want money from everyone one day even if they know the controls are unbalanced and crappy...also the spray and pray unlimited arcade i can't aim worth a crap unlimited ammo is just a joke.. any 5 year old could get kills by just holding down the fire button till you hit something. I already know why i uninstalled this game once now i know why i am doing it again at this rate you guys are going to be in CB forever..

I've been using a joystick since alpha and it's worked fine for me.  Never used anything else.

If you just hold down the fire button your guns would overheat, and in alpha "limited" ammo was often literally thousands of rounds.

"If it could cook, I'd marry it." - Eugene Valencia (23 kills) on the F6F

The cat in my avatar does the flying, I just feed him.

Dingleberries_ #93 Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postshwedor, on 04 December 2012 - 03:26 AM, said:

For example, Damsinho's post, "I have played a few flight sims and none of them felt like this game."
This is the complete wrong attitude. The idea isn't to be the same as every other flight sim, its to give the game a unique feel that Non-sim and nonplaneguru types will sit down and enjoy for thirty minutes before going back to work. It is a form of arcade flight game, not flight sim. The current flight model does a great job, it allows those who don't know what a split-S or an Immelman is to succeed. The non-planenuts actually stand a chance, and they don't have to take time to go look up every flight maneuver or the physics behind flying.

Again, I'm not talking about having the same feel as a sim, I am speaking of the delay between when I move my stick, and when the plane moves. It feels like half a second, and in a game like this, it kills it. It could play like a space sim for all i care, but the lag is gamebreaking.

Haswell #94 Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Alpha tester
  • 125 battles
  • [PTATO] PTATO

View Postboxtosser, on 17 December 2012 - 06:07 AM, said:

I've been using a joystick since alpha and it's worked fine for me.  Never used anything else.

If you just hold down the fire button your guns would overheat, and in alpha "limited" ammo was often literally thousands of rounds.

Over 10k combined...
        shot_006.jpg

WoWP Supertest Coordinator (NA Region) - Volunteer

masterjeddi #95 Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postnokuhobune, on 22 October 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

anyone played "Heroes in the sky" i loved mouse controls they had i know its a old game but still atleast the planes were controlable

Yes, I did play this game.  The control is very nice and responsive even the server is on the other continent.  The issue is just like somebody in this forum mentioned.  They "control" everything in the server.  I stop playing this wowp game now.  There are some good flight sim like sky gamblers storm raiders(ipad) and sky gamblers air supremacy(mac).  The joystick control for sky gamblers in mac is very nice.
By the way, this game is the longest "closed beta" games that i have ever seen.

grimzod #96 Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DV] DV
For the OP:

The mouse and keyboard offer me no delay in control but are a bit wonky as far as yaw.  There is a noticable center point wobble when using a mouse that kicks off my aim.  This is manageable (i've managed 4-10 kills a game for a long time now and i shudder for your sanity if my controls ever work perfectly).  Reagalan, one of the best players in the game, uses mouse and keyboard.  Its a matter of setting the sensitivity to suit your style.

I have tried the joystick controls and gave up immediately - they just aren't mature yet but its beta and they will have to improve.

I see the horizon, its a black line - very noticable.  Are you sure you don't need glasses?

I have experienced fire delay only when i'm losing packets and contact with the server is delayed - its a frustration we will deal with for safety vs hacking morons that would flood and ruin the game otherwise if it were not a server side game.

Huds can be modded later.  Even if they make a horrible one we can make one better.

@redtails94  It IS an arcade game.  They intend to attract as many as possible, not stymie acceptance of the game because its too simmish.

grimzod #97 Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DV] DV

View PostDamsinho, on 18 December 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

Again, I'm not talking about having the same feel as a sim, I am speaking of the delay between when I move my stick, and when the plane moves. It feels like half a second, and in a game like this, it kills it. It could play like a space sim for all i care, but the lag is gamebreaking.

Can you provide a screen shot of one of your matches so we can see your FPS and PING please?

Edited by grimzod, 19 December 2012 - 03:36 PM.

reminisce12 #98 Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
yeah the controls need to be addressed.. at the moment its unplayable with the m+k and xbox gamepad for me

3Trip #99 Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
it's been a few months since I've played, any control lag fix yet?

Dingleberries_ #100 Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postgrimzod, on 19 December 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

Can you provide a screen shot of one of your matches so we can see your FPS and PING please?

Posting a screen in this forum is a pain, but my fps averages 40-60 and my ping 115 to 135

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users