Perhaps the worst controls for a plane game...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
136 replies to this topic

masterk9 #61 Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:09 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
It took me several games to figure out and tweek the right ( ok the most accurate ) controls for the way I play in WoP..I don't seem to ahve any issues with the controls, but one thing you do have to remember. The control settings you have, aren't going to manuver every plane the same, just because NOT every plane did manuver the same.  Take time ( in the training mode if need be ) and tweek the controls sensitivities guys.

Zergling #62 Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 710 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
People have to remember that a game that takes many hours to learn even basic competancy is going to fail hard at attracting players.

Crag_r #63 Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [ARMDA] ARMDA

View PostZergling, on 20 November 2012 - 05:38 AM, said:

People have to remember that a game that takes many hours to learn even basic competancy is going to fail hard at attracting players.

How come Microsoft flight sim is so successful? or online games like Call of Duty multiplayer when players first start out?

Per Ardua ad Astra "Through Adversity to the Stars"

Royal Australian Air Force

FRAG

Dingleberries_ #64 Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I agree the controls are horrible for me. I have a Saitek ST290 pro. There is noticeable lag and that is with a ping of 120ms. Its currently extremely hard to aim or fly. I have fiddled with the controls changing the deadzone and sensitivity around. I have played a few flight sims and none of them felt like this game.

StockerXray #65 Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I have the same controller and haven't had any problem with lag or otherwise. I have sub-50 pings though.
I have all deadzone at 0 and sensitivity at max.

The only time I get a little problem is trying to hold my gun pip on the target lead pip in medium to max turn angles. It's quite hard, but I think it's natural for this to be hard, so I don't think it's an actual 'problem' with the game or my controller.

Pelegius #66 Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I've very much enjoyed many aspects of this game.  I love the custom paint jobs and hope for more options to be released in coming updates.  The ground targets and flak guns firing up at me was a very enjoyable surprise.  (I hope something similar is implemented in WoT.)  But I do have to agree that the controls are very hard.  Now a lot of my flight sim experience is with modern aircraft so perhaps I simply wasn't ready for the overall sluggishness of these older birds.  So I lowered the sensitivity on my joystick, but even on the lowest settings, I seem to either get no reaction or just spin into the ground and crash.  Doing a slight bank is next to impossible for me.

Hanover #67 Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [HAND] HAND
I agree with the OP.
Control input lag is a problem. the fact that I can increase my turn rate by fire walling my throttel is an afront to pysichs.
I have some real issues with fire control delay.
These things do make the game hard to play, I bring this up not to bash the game but do my job as a beta tester so the dev's might have an idea what needs to be fixed.

3Trip #68 Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
WG needs to take a leaf from MWO, do a simultaneous client and server movement and firing, with the server overriding any discrepancies the client might generate. with this system there is no control delay when turning and firing. With only the occasional jitter when when the server and client don't match, should be much less noticeable when in the air instead of navigating on the ground.

Server side only movement might of worked for slower games like WOT, but not WOWP, I'm surprised this system wasn't scrapped in early beta.

Edited by 3Trip, 24 November 2012 - 08:50 PM.

ShellShooter200 #69 Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Remove this...I refreshed my browser when i was sending my post below because i want it that way

ShellShooter200 #70 Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Soooooooo. The game is more of a WWII Air Combat Sim.

Also somebody give a link to the game controls. I been searching(and i cant view through the game because im still downloading)

TheReverseKill #71 Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I myself have a joystick, and i don't use it. the kind of precision needed to use the machine guns is only available in a mouse. I am content with the current controls, but, as all things in a beta, they coul be made better

nippur #72 Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 64 battles
Heroes in the sky has excellent arcade controls to play, WOWP is impossible to enjoy the flight and the game, the planes are uncontrollable, are completely unstable. I've played plenty of simulators and am a fan of WOT, but in this game I at least I can not enjoy because using either system to fly the plane I find it impossible. Sorry for my english im usisng the google translator

Mercenary262 #73 Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I have been waiting for a rage forum like this.

I couldn't agree more, I use a game pad and aiming is just fucking impossible

They need to map the controls similar to BF3 without all this rudder "physics" and crap like that.

Vautour #74 Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
The flight controls in this game make basic maneuvers hard to execute.

The game tries to force you to level even when you're trying to execute a flight maneuver.

Not everyone has good latency so server side thing can't work because it will prevent millions from playing the game because of horrible lag input.

shwedor #75 Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Personally, I think the control options are great. If you want to go blow money on a uber-HOTAS xmaster 9 billion joystick its an option. If you want to blow money on a "gamepad," its an option. If you think flying with a mouse is an intelligent idea, its an option.

I personally prefer using just the arrow keys and spacebar for effectively controlling my plane/firing my guns. The controls work just fine as far as I am concerned. Lag isn't an issue for me as I am living rather close to the server and I have a decent ISP.

World of Warplanes is a radical change from the norm when it comes to flight games, maybe some of you should accept it for what it is. It is not DCS A-10, you do not need a TRACKIR with uberjoystick 900000 $4,000 setup to effectively play this game. All you really need is a keyboard, keep it simple and stupid. I'm actually glad that the keyboard is so effective at controlling the planes, it doesn't give the massive advantage to those with super-expensive setups as does every flight sim game.

For example, Damsinho's post, "I have played a few flight sims and none of them felt like this game."
This is the complete wrong attitude. The idea isn't to be the same as every other flight sim, its to give the game a unique feel that Non-sim and nonplaneguru types will sit down and enjoy for thirty minutes before going back to work. It is a form of arcade flight game, not flight sim. The current flight model does a great job, it allows those who don't know what a split-S or an Immelman is to succeed. The non-planenuts actually stand a chance, and they don't have to take time to go look up every flight maneuver or the physics behind flying.

Edited by shwedor, 04 December 2012 - 03:28 AM.

Not a poser P51A troll but around 145+ games, 90% win rate, too many to count kills.
Overall: 2300+ games, 85% win rate, 5.3k+ air kills
Potato Team Member - (1st place in all Air Raids and North American tournaments)

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/4478-wargaming-na-for-wowp-completely-incompetent/#entry79586

ALL_41SPYDR_1 #76 Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I played FighterAce for almost 20 years sense it first appeard and went through all the upgrades untill they shut it down. I have been waiting for wowp to come out because it looked like  FA  !! I flew it for a couple of days and it is an arcade game. I tried the mouse, keyboard, and my joystick. To make this short, the controls are bad on all. I turned the sensativity  on all all the way down and still the control is sloppy.  This flight sim is not what I expected it to be. The film trailers look great !!! But when you get in game It's nothing like the film trailers. I have read almost all the posts on this thred and I think you guys would have loved FighterAce..  Wish the oweners of wowp and wot could have bought the rights to FA and improved on it, or just put it up to play as is !! Dont get me wrong. This game is ok for some players. But for those who want real throttle control, gear up and down, take off from a field in a bomber or fighter and feel like ther in a real plane, this is not the game for that. Guess im one of those guys. SO good luck to WOWP and hope they can get it real for you guys. ~S~    SPYDR_1

kilbykiller #77 Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
i agree with some of the control scheme, but i feel like the pilot immediately goes to much from rudder to banking/rudder, throwing off my distance shots. An example of this is when im aiming at a close to 90 degree angle on a plane, and i go a little more because im getting closer, and my guy banks with full rudder and COMPLETELY throws off my aim and i go spiraling into a direction i don't want to go, solely on the fact i added 5% more input.

The point im getting is that its too fast to bank from straight rudder
" Have you seen some of those new German Jet Fighters? They there, They shoot, Than they gone before you even know what happened....." "Red Tails"

LoweGear #78 Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View Postshwedor, on 04 December 2012 - 03:26 AM, said:

All you really need is a keyboard, keep it simple and stupid. I'm actually glad that the keyboard is so effective at controlling the planes,

And this is the majority problem: most of us are frustrated at the game due to the controls not being so effective at controlling the planes. Keyboard flying is great for when you want to go on a sightseeing flight, but dogfighting requires the snap sensitivity and precision that only a mouse or joystick can provide. The problem is that the way the game handles flight controls makes this a very unpleasing affair, especially on mouse & keyboard. Mouse flying involves dragging the plane to the position of the mouse, instead of using the mouse to directly point the nose. This results in a lot of difficulty in handling the aircraft deftly - trying to center the crosshair on a target is an affair in tedium because the systems tends to make the plane overshoot the target each time. Lowering sensitivity solves this problem, but also handicaps the aircraft's snap maneuverability making it an unfair tradeoff, and even that solution doesn't end the problem of the planes being overly sensitive to movement.

Practice will allow players to get the hang of the controls and even excel with them yes. But the very fact that the controls are this clunky in what's supposed to be an arcadey air combat game is what's frustrating, and not every player will have the will or the patience to deal with controls as horrid as this to get to the good gameplay. It's not like these kinds of games haven't been done before: Heroes In The Sky is another online flight combat game that's been out for a while now, and yet its M&KB controls are incredibly intuitive and easy to get into: I was dogfighting within minutes of learning the controls, instead of spending hours wrestling with the controls as is the case with this game.

SofairCZ #79 Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Yeah hadling is just awful :/ I play battlefield 3 and I have no problems handling jets using keybord but in WOWP it's nearly impossible to dogfight or follow other planes... Because of this I don't find the game much entertaining :(

shwedor #80 Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostLoweGear, on 09 December 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

And this is the majority problem: most of us are frustrated at the game due to the controls not being so effective at controlling the planes. Keyboard flying is great for when you want to go on a sightseeing flight, but dogfighting requires the snap sensitivity and precision that only a mouse or joystick can provide. The problem is that the way the game handles flight controls makes this a very unpleasing affair, especially on mouse & keyboard. Mouse flying involves dragging the plane to the position of the mouse, instead of using the mouse to directly point the nose. This results in a lot of difficulty in handling the aircraft deftly - trying to center the crosshair on a target is an affair in tedium because the systems tends to make the plane overshoot the target each time. Lowering sensitivity solves this problem, but also handicaps the aircraft's snap maneuverability making it an unfair tradeoff, and even that solution doesn't end the problem of the planes being overly sensitive to movement.

Practice will allow players to get the hang of the controls and even excel with them yes. But the very fact that the controls are this clunky in what's supposed to be an arcadey air combat game is what's frustrating, and not every player will have the will or the patience to deal with controls as horrid as this to get to the good gameplay. It's not like these kinds of games haven't been done before: Heroes In The Sky is another online flight combat game that's been out for a while now, and yet its M&KB controls are incredibly intuitive and easy to get into: I was dogfighting within minutes of learning the controls, instead of spending hours wrestling with the controls as is the case with this game.

4,983 kills say that using only arrow keys works and is not hard. I have never had trouble getting my crosshair to a point where I could blow the enemy out of the sky. I don't zoom in and try to snipe them using a mouse, it simply dosen't work in a fast fight. You don't have to use the mouse AT ALL. The arrow keys alone work for flying. Quite a few of the best pilots in this game use just the keyboard, and not a mouse.
Not a poser P51A troll but around 145+ games, 90% win rate, too many to count kills.
Overall: 2300+ games, 85% win rate, 5.3k+ air kills
Potato Team Member - (1st place in all Air Raids and North American tournaments)

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/4478-wargaming-na-for-wowp-completely-incompetent/#entry79586

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users