Perhaps the worst controls for a plane game...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
136 replies to this topic

gristle #101 Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Just my 2 cents ... not bashing the game or anything but with my ping (120's-150's) it is unplayable due to the control lag issue.  I have no problem playing WOT and have played flight sims since Harrier Jump Jet but this game is simply unplayable for people with anything but the best ping's due to the server side calculations and the delay/lag this induces in the controls.  I don't think most of us with this issue have any complaints about realistic vs arcade etc ... we just want to be able to move the joystick (keyboard, mouse) and have it feel like the plane responds.

I realize they are working on it but if nothing improves this game will end up with a very limited player base due to this issue alone.  I wish I could get better ping but in western Canada this is what I get and I don't think I am alone for thinking a game should be playable with a 150 ping.  Anyway I hope it improves as I really want to like this game.

mld0806 #102 Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Played for 30 minutes trying to hit 2 planes.  Agree, crap controls.  In fact, missed my beta invite by almost a month and now I'm sorry I found it.

I am an AVID flight simulator fan, and an AVID warbird fan.  That said, I didn't like Combat Flight Simulator.  I've played combat flight sims since Lucasart's Battle of Britain.  Give me that.  Screw yaw, forget yaw.  Mouse is good for 2 directions, not 3 as we are moving it on a 2 dimensional space.  Lag in controls is a no go.

I'm sorry, yes I've seen a lot of people saying, "You just gotta learn the controls."  No, I want to shoot crap in a cool airplane.  Not figure out that a 5 degree shift between up-left and left-up is the difference between yawing to aim better and my plane spinning wildly across the sky.  And I'm not willing to toy with mouse sensitivity settings every time I play the game, or adapt my play to different sensitivities on different machines.  Nope, not gonna.

Thanks for the invite, I'm out.  Back to WoT for me.  At least there if I move the mouse a little too far left, I miss a shot, not go skewing wildly into a mountainside.  I've played there for a couple months, spend about $100 bucks.  You lost a GREAT customer to this game (still gonna play WoT, this isn't a "WG is a bunch of morons, I'm taking my money and going home" post) by making this an exercise in frustration.  If I didn't need my mouse for WoT, it would've made a nice impression in my wall when I quit the game.

You CAN NOT make the learning curve on the basic controls so difficult that you cannot play the game out of the "box" per se, and that is what this is right now.  Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna be an ace right away, I know you gotta learn to fly your planes like you gotta learn to drive your tanks.  But when the first plane is UNCONTROLABLE, I'm done.

Edited by mld0806, 28 December 2012 - 04:05 AM.

GrouchySmurf #103 Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 7 battles
  • [-D_D-] -D_D-

View Postmld0806, on 28 December 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

Played for 30 minutes trying to hit 2 planes.  Agree, crap controls.  In fact, missed my beta invite by almost a month and now I'm sorry I found it.

I am an AVID flight simulator fan, and an AVID warbird fan.  That said, I didn't like Combat Flight Simulator.  I've played combat flight sims since Lucasart's Battle of Britain.  Give me that.  Screw yaw, forget yaw.  Mouse is good for 2 directions, not 3 as we are moving it on a 2 dimensional space.  Lag in controls is a no go.

I'm sorry, yes I've seen a lot of people saying, "You just gotta learn the controls."  No, I want to shoot crap in a cool airplane.  Not figure out that a 5 degree shift between up-left and left-up is the difference between yawing to aim better and my plane spinning wildly across the sky.  And I'm not willing to toy with mouse sensitivity settings every time I play the game, or adapt my play to different sensitivities on different machines.  Nope, not gonna.

Thanks for the invite, I'm out.  Back to WoT for me.  At least there if I move the mouse a little too far left, I miss a shot, not go skewing wildly into a mountainside.  I've played there for a couple months, spend about $100 bucks.  You lost a GREAT customer to this game (still gonna play WoT, this isn't a "WG is a bunch of morons, I'm taking my money and going home" post) by making this an exercise in frustration.  If I didn't need my mouse for WoT, it would've made a nice impression in my wall when I quit the game.
Hey bro i understand your frustration, because mine is through the roof too. However i would urge you to give WOWP another chance after the next patch. In the next patch they are addressing and overhauling the Flight Model and I have HIGH hopes this may fix most of the basic control issues. In the mean time check out War Thunder to pass the time until WOWP is fixed. Best of luck my friend! :Smile_izmena:

By The Time You See Me On Your 6, You've Already Been Smurfed!!!!

mld0806 #104 Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostGrouchySmurf, on 28 December 2012 - 04:05 AM, said:

Hey bro i understand your frustration, because mine is through the roof too. However i would urge you to give WOWP another chance after the next patch. In the next patch they are addressing and overhauling the Flight Model and I have HIGH hopes this may fix most of the basic control issues. In the mean time check out War Thunder to pass the time until WOWP is fixed. Best of luck my friend! :Smile_izmena:

My frustration is that I SOOOOO want to like this game, and I SOOOO want to play this game, but if I can't due to controls, that's not cool.  A turning dogfight against a bot that just basically flies a traffic pattern and I can't even get a hit lined up or turn without gaining/losing 500 ft of altitude, or going from gently turning toward the target to rocketing around in a high G wing-stand and overshooting.  It's simply unplayable.

DrSinister #105 Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 128 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
There is 2 new control schemes Shooter Mouse and MouseJoy, have you tried those?  They are different compared to the Mouse 0.2.3 and Mouse 0.2.4.  If I remember correctly the Shooter Mouse puts the yaw on the right and left of the mouse where as the MouseJoy gives you the pitch when you move the mouse up or down and it just rolls the plane if you go right or left (instead of adding the yaw with the roll like the Mouse 0.2.3 and 0.2.4 does).

Med1cated #106 Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 28 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_
Funny, but every change has a little learning curve to me and i adapt to it. Some were easier to pick up on. My main problem is being able to see daylight above ground targets then being sucked down into a building that seemed 30 feet shorter on apporach. Feels like the plane just falls into it. Some ships seem to do it more than others. But, it seems to be improving or im adapting again. Anyway, I love the game and after all its an ongoing test. Not a representation of the finished product id say. So stop whining about the beta and do your agreed part of the deal. They arent your momma so stop whining. Test this rendition and give feedback. I've found it playable in every version and ive had every plane in the hangar but the new Japs above tier 6. Good job so far devs.

BTW...I could live very much easier without the blurry crap on accel.

Med1cated #107 Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 28 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_
Another thing on controls. Airplanes have sticks. 20 bucks on newegg will cure your mouse problems.

SkyWolf__WM #108 Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 16024 battles
And then you will have Joystick Problems.
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

StockerXray #109 Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I despise the title of this thread. It is so completely false and should be locked and thrown away.

mld0806 #110 Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostMed1cated, on 28 December 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

Another thing on controls. Airplanes have sticks. 20 bucks on newegg will cure your mouse problems.

Sounds good, but seems the joystick won't work in the tutorials.  Which is where most of the playerbase will stop first.  Or I'm just having joystick issues.

Med1cated #111 Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 28 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_
Setting up your stick may cure the problem. Windows cant do everything you know. If it wont work in tutorials then WG needs to do something.

anzacjack #112 Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5 battles
still no progress on the control lag. Such a shame because this is the one thing that I think is going to stop a huge success of this game

SkyWolf__WM #113 Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 16024 battles
I had a day here where my cable was SLOW... I just didn't play. Most of the time my ping is around 50 and I have no lag problems at all.

The Rudder is screwed up... you can't skid an aircraft.. but you can pretty easily use it and they are aware of the problem (if they decide it is one).

There is a difference between constructive critism and whining. You are BETA TESTING....... you aren't playing a finished product. You are here to help make the game better. Help... don't whine.

Razstrelnikov #114 Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I've found that the "Standard" control setting is one of the least noob-friendly ever.

I hadn't done any flight simulators prior to WoWP, and the "Airplane follows mouse" thing confused me quite a lot.

Basically, my first 20 games consisted of seeing the little red markers for enemies and pointing my plane toward them, hoping to get in range to shoot.  :facepalm_wowp:  

I inevitably lost all energy every time and ended up stalling out at like 10 metres above the ground >.<

The current standard setup completely eliminates 3D understanding of the battle and turns it into a point-and-click experience for the average noob.

I've been experimenting with other control setups, but the "Standard" setup has corrupted my understanding of flight and I keep forgetting which way to point the joystick to go where I want to.

Just the 2 cents of a noob (I feel like I should be really good at this game, but the controls have completely derailed my understanding of flight):

killerzero58 #115 Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
I do wish the controls were more realistic, but as i have no real idea as to how I might fix this problem, I shall now terminate this message. Good day.

InventorOfEvil #116 Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 32 battles
I shouldn't HAVE to buy a stick to enjoy WoWP, but it's looking like it's a necessity; this is not conducive to keeping players.

I haven't played very many battles, but each time I have, I find myself fighting the controls. Saying that it just takes time to learn the controls is a valid point, however, it's not how it ought to be. WG wants to repeat the success of WoT (a game I absolutely love), but a lot of the appeal of WoT is that it's easy to pick-up, but difficult to master. WoWP is difficult to pick-up.

Anyone who I've shown WoT to, whether avid gamer, casual gamer or not a gamer at all, has been able to pick-up the controls in a matter of minutes. As someone who's been playing games all my life, from First Person Shooters to 4x strategy games, I'm having enormous difficulty getting used to the controls and it's just flat-out not fun to be fighting them the entire game. I feel as though I can be doing better, but the controls won't let me because of the fickleness of them.

I love World of Tanks and have thrown a lot of money at WG because of it. I want them to succeed, but they're not going to have any luck retaining a player base for WoWP with such frustrating controls. I shouldn't have to go out and buy a joystick to do well, I should just innately be able to pick-it up and kill some planes. When I decide I want to step-up my game is when I should go out and buy a joystick. I played WoT for quite awhile and eventually picked-up a $70 gaming mouse that had DPI adjustments just to be able to play better. Was it a necessity? No, not at all, but it helped me take my tanking to the next level. This is the model that WoWP ought to be following.

paintballfreaks #117 Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMagisterex, on 05 October 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

Game controls are simply unacceptable for a 2012 game.

1. Control lag.
2. Lack of control feedback.
3. Artificial horizon is either non-existant or hard to see.
4. Firing latency simply atrocious.
5. Bad rudder control.
6. Throttle control is horrible.
7. Throttle corresponds to engine revs, not speed.
8. HUD is severely lacking in information, display and/or usefulness.

Server-side calculations might cut it for World of Tanks but for World of Warplanes are unacceptable.

It must be you

SkyWolf__WM #118 Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 16024 battles
You need a stick for any combat Sim/Game that involves aircraft. The whole mouse thing is silly. There just isn't any way op make a mouse work very well in the air.  :Smile_amazed:

Shutov #119 Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [OBALL] OBALL
Lots of Aces use the mouse.

I cannot fly the airplane correctly while using the mouse, but targeting in the air is much easier ... even for me. Many Aces are using mouse/kb and some are even just using the arrow keys on the keyboard with excellent results.

I have purchased two joysticks solely to play WoWP but peeps dont need a joystick to play ... you might just need to get shot down a lot before you master whatever input you are using.

Most of us are not natural Aces ...

:Smile_popcorn:

Edited by Shutov, 05 January 2013 - 08:47 PM.

woodrowgraham #120 Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I dont know about you guys but i paid alot of money ($0.00) to play this game and for the money i paid it should be perfect,
shame on WoWp for not Beta testing.The Devs should be working on all the things night and day.

No one should have any thing to say until they have 250 battle or so.
Time and  hard work by some tester and the Devs and new updates are making this Game better and better.
Thanks DEVS and tester for your time

If you press the Q key this is me on your ***!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users