Perhaps the worst controls for a plane game...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
136 replies to this topic

Magisterex #1 Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Game controls are simply unacceptable for a 2012 game.

1. Control lag.
2. Lack of control feedback.
3. Artificial horizon is either non-existant or hard to see.
4. Firing latency simply atrocious.
5. Bad rudder control.
6. Throttle control is horrible.
7. Throttle corresponds to engine revs, not speed.
8. HUD is severely lacking in information, display and/or usefulness.

Server-side calculations might cut it for World of Tanks but for World of Warplanes are unacceptable.

bitterdeath #2 Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
It's a game breaker for me too, I'm not sure why people are so willing to accept it.

Pyrodunces #3 Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postbitterdeath, on 05 October 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

It's a game breaker for me too, I'm not sure why people are so willing to accept it.

It takes time to learn the controls, if you're really struggling that bad try lowering your sensitivity.

View PostZaratank, on , said:

I'm the ghost of search functions past, present, and future. I have a message for you. Use the search function.

RedTails94 #4 Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
my sensitivity is still lowered and it sucks as controls we just simply need battlefield style controls not some messed up crappy arcade style control scheme

TwixOps #5 Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 16 battles
  • [BUNEH] BUNEH
First of all, remember, this is a CLOSED BETA.  You do not have any requirement to play the game, if you aren't going to be helpful, don't play.  Do you have any suggestions on how to improve the controls?

View PostMagisterex, on 05 October 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

1. Control lag.
This is an ongoing problem, and one that they have been trying to fix for a long time.  They have made some improvements, but there is still a ways to go.  

2. Lack of control feedback.
I do not know what you mean by this, but it may just be me.  

3. Artificial horizon is either non-existant or hard to see.
So do you have any suggestions?  They have changed the markers in every single patch so far, maybe you it should be darker, something with a little more contrast to be seen against the dark oceans?  I do not know as I do not use it.  

4. Firing latency simply atrocious.
This may have to do with your connection speed or bandwith, where are you located, whaat is your ping?

5. Bad rudder control.
What do you mean by "bad?"  Not sensitive enough?  To sensitive? historically inaccurate?  

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?

6. Throttle control is horrible.
Again, how so?

7. Throttle corresponds to engine revs, not speed.
Of course it does, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  That is how a throttle works, these are not modern planes that can break the sound barrier in a vertical climb, they are WWII prop planes.  If the throttle directly controls airspeed then all strategy is removed from the game.  

8. HUD is severely lacking in information, display and/or usefulness.
Again, WWII? what would you rather see? Everything that needs to be displayed is, any more would make the game more complicated, something that the devs want to avoid at all costs.

Magisterex #6 Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Hi there. I'm very glad you asked! Here's what I want to see:

1. Control lag, let's hope it gets better. Because as things stand now, its impossible to play.

2. What I mean is aircraft 'handling' characteristics should change with respect to climb rate, speed, turning rate. For example: it should 'feel' more heavy during a climb or a high speed turn. In other words, G-force related control interaction. High g's, low manoeverability. Low g's the plane is more nimble.

3. A simple 'white up, black down' artificial horizon gauge below the aircraft. As things stand now I have no idea where my nose is pointing. On top of that, the altitude and speed gauges on both sides of the firing reticle have to go. Ideally these should be placed on the left and right side of the proposed artificial horizon.

4. No excuses here. I had more responsive controls way back in Aces High days before broadband internet. WG can get away with that in World of Tanks but not with this game.

5. Bad as in 'one time its arcade, the next time is realistic'. It's not consistent. Either keep it 'arcade' or 'sim'. You can't have both ways. As it is now most of the time the aircraft is 'fishtailing' then abruptly levels. Is it arcade rudder i.e. 'push and rotate' or realistic 'gentle rudder to level and compensate for roll'?

6. Tried all deadzones, sensitivities, the thing is either full on or full off. No throttle control at all.

7. So let me get this straight, half controls are 'realistic' and half are 'arcade'. Look, this game is not IL-2, from a gameplay point of view throttle could be related to speed, not engine revs. It's an arcade game after all.

8. Here's what I want to see: Artificial Horizon 'bubble', revs and altitude in METRIC system UNDER the plane not next to the aiming crosshairs. A working rear view mirror could help too so I could assign the picture-in-picture view on something else. As for WWII, we've got a CAMERA that CENTERS on your TARGET, threat/target indicators are not much WWII are they?

While we're at it, inverted flight seems almost impossible. I mean you can do an Immelmann but a reverse Immelmann i.e. Split-S is impossible i.e. roll 180 then pull back on the stick to reverse your course.

Edited by Magisterex, 05 October 2012 - 10:37 PM.

bitterdeath #7 Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:52 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostPyrodunces, on 05 October 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

It takes time to learn the controls, if you're really struggling that bad try lowering your sensitivity.

I never said I was struggling. I asked the questions as to why so many people are accepting of these controls.

This game is awesome! After getting beta I leveled USA to the P-51 along with some other trees along the way. I can "cope" with the controls, but at that point I'd rather find a better game.

Jinxed_Katajainen #8 Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

Feedback Airedale

• Alpha tester
  • 47 battles

View Postbitterdeath, on 06 October 2012 - 02:52 AM, said:

I never said I was struggling. I asked the questions as to why so many people are accepting of these controls.

Other than the flight model issues, I haven't seen any of the problems with input lag or firing delay...  so honestly, there's no problems to accept and the game flies fine enough to test.

Magisterex #9 Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
So you're telling me that 1 second firing delay is fine on a dogfight game of 2012?

Jinxed_Katajainen #10 Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Feedback Airedale

• Alpha tester
  • 47 battles

View PostMagisterex, on 06 October 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

So you're telling me that 1 second firing delay is fine on a dogfight game of 2012?

No, I'm not saying it's ok.  If there's control problems, it should be fixed right away.
But during my testing sessions, I'm not experiencing it when I play.  I pull trigger, plane fires immediately.  I push joystick in a direction plane rolls/pitches/yaws immediately.
So I can't relate to these input lag/control lag issues that people are reporting since I am not seeing it on my side.

There's minor control issues stemming from the current flight model but that's another problem altogether.

bitterdeath was asking how people can be accepting, I'm just saying there are no problems on my side to even accept.

Slavo97 #11 Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [4SAKN] 4SAKN
When my brother tried out the game the controls were way too sensitive, hopefully a lower sensitivity will fix it.

Crag_r #12 Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [ARMDA] ARMDA

View PostMagisterex, on 06 October 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

So your telling me you don't understand the concept of the idea that a game in beta is not finished?

Per Ardua ad Astra "Through Adversity to the Stars"

Royal Australian Air Force

FRAG

Magisterex #13 Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I see. A 'developer's white knight'. Keep at it, you might get a job @ WG some day if you don't already have one that is.

KaleBane #14 Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Idk maybe I have been super lucky , but I don't have any of these lag issues at all ? So far the game has performed great for me , it is beta .... I would love to see an option for more realistic controls and physics also .

" I honored the fallen enemy by placing a stone on his beautiful grave ! " ~ Manfred Von Richthofen ~

GrouchySmurf #15 Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 7 battles
  • [-D_D-] -D_D-

View PostMagisterex, on 09 October 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

I see. A 'developer's white knight'. Keep at it, you might get a job @ WG some day if you don't already have one that is.
I have to admit  when i see these guys writing about how gr8 this game is and how "manageable" the controls are, I have to wonder what game they are playing because it is surely not WOWP. I agree with most of what you posted, your right on target. You are also correct about the WG "Yes Men" , everytime we try and critique this game they come out of the wood work bashing us and telling us how gr8 WOWP is. Well the simple plain truth is, as tons of testers have noticed, this game is flawed in the very basic aspect of flight controls. In my opinion WOWP  should still be in Alpha. But it seems that WG is determined to just force this game forward and march it to market. This theory of "getting the game to market" is ruining it. Developers, SLOW DOWN, listen to your testers, there's a reason we are all saying the same things. Do you think it's a conspiracy that most everyone is complaining about the flight model???????? This game IS seriously flawed and until the dev's decide to start taking our suggestions into consideration, this game will never be a viable product..................

Edited by GrouchySmurf, 09 October 2012 - 04:24 PM.

By The Time You See Me On Your 6, You've Already Been Smurfed!!!!

7chanspiderexpert #16 Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I gotta say after playing my first match, the controls feel worse than the ones in BF 1942 ; and that game came out in 2001 and wasn't even dedicated to aircraft.

KaleBane #17 Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I'm not bashing anyone for their opinion ... Slow your roll . Nor am I a dev sheep . Take a look at the game itself , it's not supposed to be a perfect sim . If you don't like it don't play it , it does need work ... Nobody has said it doesn't ?

" I honored the fallen enemy by placing a stone on his beautiful grave ! " ~ Manfred Von Richthofen ~

akhbar #18 Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Hi.
I'll have to agree to the fact that the controls are far from optimal.
What I would like to see is it behaving more like you are sitting in the cockpit. The situation now is: You move the controls, then the airplane moves (after some lagtime), then the horizon moves.
They all need to move together and at the same instant the control input is issued.

My 10 cents so far :)

/Akhbar

DrSinister #19 Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 121 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
One thing that most people need to understand, the reason that the controls most of the time feels sluggish deals with Ping times.  WG's client is based off server side actions to combat against hacking.  So if you have high Ping like in the 120+ you are going to see sluggish response with any controllers.  WG's is not going to change this because they have been using this technique since WoT.  If they do then they would have to shut down WoT and WoWp and do a complete remake of them.

For me I don't see this sluggishness because I am always around 30-40ms Ping. I pull the trigger it shoots, I go left it rolls left, I go right it rolls right.

Now don't get me wrong, this server side managing all actions does suck for a Flight Combat game where response times is a huge deciding factor if you shake someone or not or get a kill.  For WoT and heck even for WoWs you won't see a big problem with this.

Now for the rudder controls, they are weird but you learn to get use to it.

The HUD does need some tweaking, there is a lot in the center of the screen that really does not need to be there.  Also the reticle needs to be able to be changed in color and size.  Which if its like WoT there will be user mods to adjust these when that time comes.

Elios0 #20 Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 27 battles
im with you on every thing but no. 7 OP as thats the one thing they got kinda right

Compass 6HV_______________________________25% Edge 540

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users