MOUSE vs JOYSTICK

mouse joystick awkward weird improve change inversion keyboard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

kevinchew #1 Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
HI GUYS! i just got accepted into beta yesterday, i installed and played today, and...

i have to say, the controls are weird, its unlike any aviation game i';ve played.

Firstly,
I don't have a joystick, so i've nothing to say about joystick controls being a pain, but i've always used a mouse to control the aircraft.

Secondly,
Mouse controls in this game is weird, i play using Vertical inversion,

Ok let's say i want to turn hard left, in other games, i'll first pull my mouse to the left( turns the aircraft left side ) then keep pulling down and taadaa, i turn like an ace, now its all, abit arcade-dy, i just point where i want it to go and it just keeps going there.

I know some of the new players might enjoy this control style, but i would like to add it as an option to change that into what i wanted, i know it's hard to understand, but i'll give you some examples of the games with aircraft that im talking about, Battlefield series (bf3 etc), Fighter squadron, and many, many other aircraft games.

Introducing a whole new control scheme just makes me not play right, OR have fun. If theres a setting for this, DO LET ME KNOW!, If not, i'd like to be suggesting it controls the same way many other aircraft games do, because Mouse operators have gotten used to them. and sadly i'm one of them! i'm not considering getting a joystick just for a game, i play for fun and for a challenge.

I hope you understand what i meant by now. If not, play BATTLEFIELD 3! haha. or other games with a plane in it that is.

Thanks for your time. Hope im not the only one experiencing this problem.

Burstz #2 Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I tried to play by joystick but it made the difficult on playing (yes, there is no fun)
Even the balloon shooting was too difficult by Logitech Attack3.
So I try the mouse.
By the mouse, it's easier but not make anything more than confusing.

I've ever played Lock On : Modern Aircombat and one arcade game HAWX
but none of them make feel HARD to play.

If this game need to improve, I think the CONTROL is the first one you need.

Anyone feel the same thing with me.

Cormac #3 Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I can't use my flight stick in this game as the throttle controls on my Top Gun Fox 2 Pro will not configure or work in game.
Also the sensitivity is all over the place.
I am not playing this game until I can control the aircraft.
Kim Jung Il tought me how to fry !!!

2viep #4 Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Well I am using  a logitech rumble pad, its way better than using the mouse, but I only have 2 days play time so I have a ways to go.

Tibius #5 Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9 battles
  • [IVI] IVI
Hi,I have been testing for a few days now,the joy stick is not working like it should, and the mouse is a bit strange cause u do not feel like your going under the air flow of the plain,you just wobble around. Also is there a button to level out the Horizon that might help.

x2tino #6 Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I've try to play with my Joystick (Logitek extreme 3D Pro) and it's very hard to hit something  in this game.
Now I'm using the mouse but I don't enjoy because by mouse is not the feeling. It's no feeling at all.
I really hope that, in the end , this game will have a relly nice joystick control.

Belan #7 Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2 battles
  • [ISV] ISV
First thing we need to clear up is BF3 is no where near an "aviation" game.  It's an FPS with planes you can fly.  The controls in WoWP aren't where they should be, but are managable with a Flight Stick, at least to me.  As with all Combat Flight Sims (which WoWP quite doesn't qualify yet, it's still a game) you have to learn the sim's nuances.  "Improvise, overcome, and adapt."  Hopfully, as physics get nailed down, but not get so realistic it stops being fun, the keyboard and mouse will be a moot point with this game.  I'd like to see it be on the same level of Fighter Ace II from the days of old.  Now that was a great MMO CFS.

As veteran CFS players flood this game after release you will find more and more players scoffing at the use of keyboards and mice.  Many posts on the forums raging against the noobs who don't fly with a HOTAS.  And god help the console players when they arrive, my advice to you is to uplug your 360/PS3 controller from the computer and plug it into the console where it belongs. :Smile-_tongue:

This game has the potential to give "Aces High" a run for it's money.

Edited by Belan, 23 September 2012 - 10:11 PM.

Claywoman #8 Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I do also find the mouse is not as good as it could be. Without the pre steering by this awful green circle I do always loose the direction an the overview. If you could make it more like the plane is flying where I move my mouse would make this kind of steering good - I think!
Thank you!

gizmonicpanda #9 Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 826 battles
kevinchew:
i much prefer this mode of mouse control than the one mentioned, where you keep pulling it down and down to keep turning...
1) the flight mechanics behind that style of mouse control are usually horrid enough that you won't lose your banking angle from pulling down oddly
2) that style of mouse control is absolute hell on anybody's hand+wrist+arm with any length of play

custer11:
check the control map in prefs, i believe this button already exists

claywoman:
YES, i keep trying to fire where the green circle is, not the actual reticle, even with hours and hours of playtime under my belt now. if they could ditch the green circle and just stick a small arrow onto the end of the green ray, that'd probly be much less distracting without losing visibility.

Seabee_USN #10 Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:50 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3987 battles
I concur that the Joystick needs to be the main focal point in this game. You wouldnt use steak knife in open heart surgery even though scalpel is more suited.

AngelOfMons #11 Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [TIN] TIN
Just thought I'd add my thoughts. The mouse controls are actually pretty decent, however, I fear that the average player who gets on for the first time that just wants to try it out won't like them and leave without a second thought. I'm a pretty patiant person who likes this game and wants to be fairly good at it. That said, it was quite a chore learning how to properly control my aircraft with a mouse and keyboard and I'm still not 100 percent in control of it. Unfortunetely, I don't think the mouse controls can get any better. The focus now needs to be on joy sticks and it probably is, but from what I've heard about them, they don't seem to be a viable option. No, I haven't used one yet. I went to hook my old one up to my computer and it wouldn't work. I need to go pick up a new one, but I'm hesitent to spend the money if the game is not going to be designed for them.

PJKiller #12 Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1839 battles
  • [524] 524
I just started the game yesterday, and so far my Logitech 3D Gamer Pro joystick works fine.  I still need to assign some of the buttons, but 4 kills in a single battle with an I-15 speaks volumes.  I love how easy it is to look around with the hat on the joystick.

naughtyboy001 #13 Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
hi,i have also tried using the joystik and then the mouse..i think if your playing a flight sim then it only makes sense to use a stik..my one problem is that i,m useing a futretronics genx 500usb and it has a throttle slider ..i can,t find that setting in options(yet).also i have had to turn the pitch and yaw settings way up otherwise i was allover the place with the slightest touch of the stick..anyway i,m off to give it another go..

Kaldesh #14 Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
There is too much delay on the stick, most people do better with the mouse.

SolidBeer #15 Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostPJKiller, on 24 September 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

I just started the game yesterday, and so far my Logitech 3D Gamer Pro joystick works fine.  I still need to assign some of the buttons, but 4 kills in a single battle with an I-15 speaks volumes.  I love how easy it is to look around with the hat on the joystick.

Hey PJ, I have the same stick and I'm having a little trouble getting everything set up right...like the throttle control...any suggestions or maybe an idea of where your settings are? Love the game, but I have to have my stick to play...to many hours in other flight sims with it to use a mouse and keyboard now..

strutter78 #16 Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I'm using an old Microsoft Sidewinder 2 stick with the throttle control...I found it as Axis 6 in the control mapping if that helps anyone.

@naughtyboy....thanks for the tip on the pitch and yaw...I was having trouble with this also...will try your settings when I get home tonight.

Strutter

SIG by cat0020 RIP

Otto_Weston #17 Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [A-G-A] A-G-A
Well, I find the mouse to be a helluva lot easier to use than a joystick, hell I'm actually liking the mouse control.

I've seen a lot of people don't though.

I just hope they don't change the current mouse setup, just add different control schemes.

ViseGrip #18 Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:36 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 29 battles

View PostPJKiller, on 24 September 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

I also have the Logitech Extreme 3D pro Joystick which is workin out perfectly.Buttons where easy to assign if you know what your doin.  Bought mine back in the day when Battlefield 1942 first came out. But like most of you, I think the response time for the stick should be better.

Gunzablazen #19 Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [TWRSL] TWRSL
I just got my beta key a few days ago and find the mouse/keyboard controls very difficult. I haven't set my HOTAS up yet as I wanted to see how it played without it. Has anyone tried the Thrustmaster Cougar yet?

saemann #20 Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:28 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
That green circle... It makes me so angry... i dunno how much difficult to play by joystick, but i found that using mouse/keyboard is easy to play.

sry 4 my eng..

Edited by saemann, 28 September 2012 - 01:30 AM.

Also tagged with mouse, joystick, awkward, weird, improve, change, inversion, keyboard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users