A brick - with wings and a propeller

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
87 replies to this topic

CAMN #81 Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [HARM] HARM
The way other games solve this is by making separate servers for players, if you have less than 500 battles then you can join the "noob" and "experienced" servers (names totally made up) and once you hit 500 you can't enter "noob" but you can now enter the "experienced" and "masters" servers.

Some even add an incentive like 5% extra credits per battle to the "masters" server. That way, people who have been playing for long won't feel the need to go and stomp on the new guys and will usually face other masters at their own server.

But I doubt WG will do that for this game.

spittoon #82 Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
hmmm... that is even easier to code, camn!

we just have to come up with a 'noob world' marketing term, that english-speaking gamers wouldn't cringe when they want to choose it to learn the ropes

experience and credits they earn, plus the planes they fly, would be available in both worlds until they reach 500 battles, or 400 or 300 or 200

is 100 battles enough to learn survival skills?

honoring all those who fought, and especially all those who fell

CAMN #83 Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [HARM] HARM
Well, FPS games use military ranks to name the servers that separate the "noobs" from the "experienced" and the "masters".

WG could use the same but with airforce ranks.

Sky_Bear #84 Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View Postspittoon, on 11 October 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

again... excellent thoughtful posts, camn

i agree, millions of tankers are going to try this and even if every control mode was perfectly tuned...

i'm afraid that it will still be too hard to pick up in same timeframe as wot, sadly... and those guys will drift away, cursing this title to all who will listen

i wish there were firm plans for a protected tier 1 and 2, a protected 3 and 4... and all with no pro pilots allowed

how can we lock the experienced pilots (like me) out of the playpen, so that new guys can develop survival skills?

WT has both plane tiers and pilot levels, so that would work nicely...  wowp only has credits and experience, but your player profile totals your entire game history!

so... how about:
new guys can choose either path, the protected sandbox or the original best-of-luck-to-you-bucko path

once you reach 5000 exp in the protected tier 1-2, you are auto-booted up to the 2nd protected sandbox
once you reach 7500 exp in the protected tier 3-4, you are booted out into the cold mean world
(or whatever exp numbers seem more appropriate)

of course there would be the original battle tiers from t2 on up, just as we have today... open to all, just as there is today
the sandbox guys would just be invisible to the rest of us

only new guys would have the option to fly in either 'world', and when they reached the threshold exp limit(whatever that is)... they are out the door, and can never go back

That is something I posted elsewhere, that people with actual experience get frustrated due to the lack of pilot ability of players just starting out. I still cannot believe some of these guys are up to tier 6 and still not able to fly. (I use that to make them crash, when riding my tail well enough that I cannot shake them, as they have no concept of a 3 dimensional universe viewed from a 2d perspective.) My suggestion was not exactly the same though, my suggestion was to make different modes, Easy Mode, Medium, Hard and Hardcore (historically accurate, no HUD, Radar, no painted targets, no IFF, Limited Ammo, take off and landing required). Easy mode would earn nothing and lose nothing, with no stats being kept.

I like your idea too though as well as the reasoning. There is a chance they might implement something like that but at the moment I do not think there are enough testers to do that as the queue time is already long unless your on at prime time.

Tufton #85 Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [1RPD] 1RPD
Shouldn't we put all these grouping and tiers suggestions in the suggestions forum instead of the game controllers forum?

"Doesn't matter I guess when you've already tried, convicted, and sentenced them in your own mind."
Tufton: Judge, Jury, Executioner.

commanche65 #86 Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostCAMN, on 13 September 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

I don't want this post to turn into a long read but it just might... so bear with me, it's hard to explain my point while trying to make it sound like constructive criticism (as it's intended) and not like some crazy dude just came to the forums to whine about not being able to fly his planes.

I have HUGE issues with the way the flying part of the whole simulation is being done in this game. I love flight sims, but there are so few games who get it "right" that I don't get to play this type of games too much.

So I'll begin by pointing out the games I played before:
  • Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War: aweseome game, flawless game mechanics and very nice simulation all around. Played this on my PS2 some years ago, still enjoy it to this day.
  • Crimson Skies: really fun game, decent enough simulation. Played this many years ago on my PC with a joystick. Not as good on the movement simulation as others, but lots of fun when shooting at other stuff.
  • Blazing Angels 2: terrible simulation, fun to shoot stuff around... when I wasn't too busy trying not to crash my plane. Played this on my PC with a joystick.
  • X3 (and the expansions): I know this isn't really a "flight simulator" but more of a space simulation, yet the game shares some of the core mechanics to move the ship around. And it works like a charm I must say, moving a spaceship around and flying into small places and just doing stunts around space stations feels so easy... and fun. Still playing this on my PC with my PS3 controller and my keyboard for some simple commands.
Now to talk about the controls I use to play this game:

I use my PS3 controller plugged into my PC using the USB cable and using the "Motion in Joy" program to make it work like it should (Windows doesn't like controllers).

And now to my problem with WoWP:

I want to like this game, I really do, but the controls are just not good for me. The simulation feels like you are controlling a brick, a brick with wings and a propeller.

There is no simple way to explain what the problem is, this seems to be a thing about how the plane responds to commands input from the player. Making a turn makes the plane jerk to a side, instead of flowing into the motion.

It is VERY hard to move the plane since every action sends the plane into strange movement patterns and you are left to fight those instead of the enemy. It's almost impossible to make subtle movements and taking a ride with your plane goes from "it's so nice to be flying... it's like you can touch the sky" to "OMG! I'm gonna crash! I'm gonna crash! HELP!" every time you move the plane in any direction.

Now, I've read several posts and people blame this on control sensitivity and some other things, but pushing the sensitivity down just seems to make the plane move slower when doing maneuvers instead of making those movements more fluid.

Now, I don't think this is actually a problem with the control itself, I believe this is something deep in the core of the game. And I say this because this is the same problems I had with Blazing Angels before. The planes don't move as you would expect, it's more of an arcade game than a simulation.

The problem is, it's none of those, it's a mixture of them. It's an arcade game in the controls and a simulation when shooting. The game needs you to control your plane very well in order to line your shots into the enemy, but those controls are not responding the way they should (at least to me).

I played several battles about a month ago... and thought the game was too "raw" yet and couldn't have fun with it so I left. Came back last night to see if it worked better this time around... but it's pretty much the same game with better looking stuff.

I'm not sure if the devs know about this (I assume they do considering the number of posts about the controls), but I don't think they got the whole movement of the planes right on this game. It's not a fluid motion. There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with the physics... and I lack the knowledge to point it out exactly.

I wish I could be of more help, and I truly wish I could enjoy this game and help to test it. But the current state of the controls and the way these planes respond is all too weird and unnatural to me. I hope something changes along the development here.

I don't know if anything will change at all, but for now... this game is not for me. Will have to stick to WoT. Good luck to the develpment team, I know it's not easy and I know it takes a whole lot of time.

Well, thank you for your time and sorry for my lack of "help".

Do you use a joystick? I think the controls are fine with a joystick
I defy everything you say about me and declare myself a tea kettle!

CAMN #87 Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [HARM] HARM

View Postcommanche65, on 16 October 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

Do you use a joystick? I think the controls are fine with a joystick

I'm just gonna quote myself here to answer you, someone already said that:

View PostCAMN, on 03 October 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

That is what worries me, I don't want this game to become a "joysticks only" kind of game. Sure, aces will mostlikely be using that to play the game, but having a bad time with anything but a joystick will make the player base even worse than in World of Tanks.

And also this:

View PostCAMN, on 10 October 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

My main issue with the controllers is the STEEP learning curve WG seems to be placing every new player into. This would be OK for a retail game, where you expect people to spend the time to learn the basics of the game the spent 30-60$ to buy. But this is a F2P online game, people will not come if the game isn't fun. When there is no money lost in it, there is nothing stopping anybody from just giving it a try, getting upset about the clunky controls and just walking away from the game.

It's the same issue people face in World of Tanks every day. New players have to learn the basics before they can become true masters of their tanks, but that doesn't mean you should have a terrible time while you are learning the basics. That is what WoT does get right, you have fun even when you are doing it wrong sometimes.

And like I've said in previous posts... this game WILL NOT enjoy the "free pass" that WoT has had for the last 2 years, this game has at least 2 other big competitors going for the exact same player base that WoWP wants. If people have a terrible time during their first 2 hours of gameplay, they will probably just go and give the competition a try.

That is where we come in and that is what WG needs to pay attention to. Right now, this game is not very fun for your average player. Sure, those who have played IL2 and those with real flying experience might get an easier time when working with the settings and the controllers, but I doubt there are enough of you to keep this game going with a healthy player base. :Smile_amazed:

spittoon #88 Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostSky_Bear, on 15 October 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

My suggestion was not exactly the same though, my suggestion was to make different modes, Easy Mode, Medium, Hard and Hardcore (historically accurate, no HUD, Radar, no painted targets, no IFF, Limited Ammo, take off and landing required).

Easy mode would earn nothing and lose nothing, with no stats being kept.

not exactly the same as mine... your ideas are better, and easier to code, too!

except how would you buy the next higher plane in easy? or would it just be a tier 1 sandbox?

and we have to help WG with ideas for better, more manly-sounding names than 'easy mode', etc... russian translations sometimes sound unusual to english-speakers

honoring all those who fought, and especially all those who fell

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users