A brick - with wings and a propeller

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
87 replies to this topic

NZVeritas #41 Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I thought it was ping/server lag causing the plane movement to be horrible as mentioned but as I thought it is the game itself.
Last time tested the BETA the controls were sluggish and from what i am reading here they still are.

I would expect the aiming to be affected by ping but not the controlling of the plane.
Either I have placed input by submitting a ticket and hopefully it will help to some degree with the current issue with input lag when using gamepad or keyboard.

DeutschPantherV #42 Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [ROSE] ROSE
For me at least, I usually am comparing this game to battlefield 1942, which is the only other flight game i have played. However, even being many years older, I am starting to think I like Battlefield 1942 more. The controls in this game are messed up, no two ways about it. I usually go full keyboard, and even when I am not pressing anything the flaps visibly move to one side (or up or down) slowly and make the airplane travel off course. Additionally, when you are flying I agree with the brick analogy. It takes so long to turn that maneuverability is the only significant advantage between tiers 4 and 6, because you can't aim when pressing a button either makes the plane move a millimeter or a mile.

Crackedcanadian #43 Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

?The squirtgun of doom?

• Alpha tester
  • 52 battles
  • [WARRP] WARRP
try turning off the "slip compensation" option in the settings to fix the rudder issue.

Are you varying your speed when turning? the slower you go the tighter the turn is. Engage flaps "E" on the KB to turn even tighter.

Keyboard is an on/off type of control. Use the mouse for fine control if you think you can get used to it. i use Jstick only for the most part its a bit hard to aim but i like the feel of how it flies.

wait it could be slight movements are causing your ailerons to do that.

Edited by Crackedcanadian, 23 September 2012 - 08:09 PM.

Aced: Pegas, P-36, Tsh-3, 109Z, I-15 BIS, BF110 B

verbul #44 Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [MEAN] MEAN
I think that the most accurate description i've read so far is the "follow the carrot" description of the green flight icon. I flew aces high 2 for years, and i think that it has ingrained the "in the cockpit, fly by the gunsight" into me. the outside the plane put the site one way, while aiming the plane the other way in a roll chase seems a little overdone to me. Even if i still fly outside the plane, at least do away with the green icon of doom, and let me fly by the gunsites. Aiming the plane, and letting the bullets fly based on trajectory seems a more intuitive way to control your plane.

spittoon #45 Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles

View PostxRedBarronx, on 21 September 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

what do you expect from ww1/ww2 era planes?... primitive flying technology(they ran in hydraulics controls rather than modern fly-by-wire) :P

still hydraulic... i think that you know it's not really 'wires' that operate your control surfaces

you do know that, right?

honoring all those who fought, and especially all those who fell

Toggle #46 Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 4593 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postspittoon, on 24 September 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

still hydraulic... i think that you know it's not really 'wires' that operate your control surfaces

you do know that, right?

Where did they get that anyway?  The J3 on the other hand,  was truly fly by wire.  :Smile_teethhappy:

Kaldesh #47 Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Yes it feels like flying a drunken brick but I see some players have gotten the hang of it and are scoring +6 kills regularly.  It must be a control setting adjustment.  Hopefully we will get more info on it soon.

I seem to do a lot better with the mouse than joystick, kinda wrong if you ask me:p

CAMN #48 Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [HARM] HARM

View PostKaldesh, on 24 September 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

Yes it feels like flying a drunken brick but I see some players have gotten the hang of it and are scoring +6 kills regularly.  It must be a control setting adjustment.  Hopefully we will get more info on it soon.

I seem to do a lot better with the mouse than joystick, kinda wrong if you ask me:p

Maybe joystick is the only way to make it work better... my PS3 controller works great with other games, not so much on this one :(

Jiggiwatt #49 Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Just adding my 2 cents to this thread.

I just joined up yesterday, as I'm sure 25,000 others did. My very first impression of WoWP so far is miserable just because of the controls. I played for 30 minutes in training with various different configurations of the controls trying to put together a half decent setup and I still couldn't point my aircraft in the right direction. Here's the major issues as I see them:

Setup: Mouse and Keyboard.

1) Even if I turn off rudder control from the mouse, it still seems that I'm yawing when trying to move just the ailerons.
2) When trying to perform a simple climb or dive, the controls seem to throw some rudder and roll into the mix and I end up slewing 45 degrees left or right while I'm trying to nose up/down.
3) I'm not sure if it's part of regular gameplay, but the little green arrow that shows where your current flight controls are going to send you causes some serious intuition problems. I'm used to playing arcade type flight sims with inverted vertical axis (moving mouse down noses the aircraft up). When I move my mouse down, this cursor moves up my screen and I find it enormously distracting because I'm used to moving my mouse UP to move a cursor up.

I gave up after trying to use inverted/non-inverted axis, modifying the controls to various different combinations of keyboard buttons and mouse axis to smooth the controls out and generally trying to learn how to use the default system the game has set up. It's going to be a few days before the frustration wears off enough for me to actually try playing again, nevermind actually jump into a pub and embarass myself. I'll also try plugging in my old Top Gun joystick, I think I still have a gameport/USB adapter kicking around somewhere...

My primary flight sim experience comes from the IL-2 series of games. I have probably somewhere in the range of 2000 hours of flight time in that series. Coming into a more 'arcade' style game and being unable to quickly master a simple dive, nevermind something like an immelman or split-S...very disheartening.
Nos morituri te salutamus

NeoGodHobo #50 Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostCAMN, on 13 September 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

I love flight sims,

So I'll begin by pointing out the games I played before:
  • Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War: aweseome game, flawless game mechanics and very nice simulation all around. Played this on my PS2 some years ago, still enjoy it to this day.
  • Crimson Skies: really fun game, decent enough simulation. Played this many years ago on my PC with a joystick. Not as good on the movement simulation as others, but lots of fun when shooting at other stuff.
  • Blazing Angels 2: terrible simulation, fun to shoot stuff around... when I wasn't too busy trying not to crash my plane. Played this on my PC with a joystick.
  • X3 (and the expansions): I know this isn't really a "flight simulator" but more of a space simulation, yet the game shares some of the core mechanics to move the ship around. And it works like a charm I must say, moving a spaceship around and flying into small places and just doing stunts around space stations feels so easy... and fun. Still playing this on my PC with my PS3 controller and my keyboard for some simple commands

I dont want to be a pain, and I dont know if someone said it already as I didnt read the whole thread. but none of these games are Flight simulation. I will send you a list of good Flight Sim in PM. since I cant say them on here ( Already got warned for "propaganda" )

Edited by NeoGodHobo, 26 September 2012 - 04:37 PM.

CAMN #51 Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [HARM] HARM

View PostNeoGodHobo, on 26 September 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

I dont want to be a pain, and I dont know if someone said it already as I didnt read the whole thread. but none of these games are Flight simulation. I will send you a list of good Flight Sim in PM. since I cant say them on here ( Already got warned for "propaganda" )

Oh, I know these are not "sims", but I also don't consider any WG game to be a simulation type of game. They usually tweak stuff around to make it balanced and it all ends up closer to an arcade game than a simulation of anything.

To be honest I expected this game to be something like Crimson Skies (as old as it is)... too bad it's not, that was a fun game with a good mix of simulation and arcade stuff in it.

Harnisfechten #52 Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
wait.........so the Devs.........PURPOSELY made the planes bleed obscene amounts of speed in a climb, in order to make TERRAIN play a role!?!??

um. It's a game about airplanes. Terrain doesn't need to play a role. The "Terrain" that plays a role in air combat is the air itself. The energy fight, the most important concept of air combat.

Also, good call on not being able to "boom and zoom". I noticed it too.

bulldakrakkakilla #53 Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

Senior Airman

• 237 battles
  • [-VETS] -VETS
For all the reasons above, I stick with GA/HF. I can't get on target to dogfight in a nimble plane, so I try to take out GT with bombs, rockets and guns.  I put myself in the below average group just because of the flight mechanics.

Tedward01 #54 Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
The input delay makes it extremely frustrating to just fly, let alone dogfight, and the issues appear to be in the base network positioning, and I suspect that the joystick is moving a carrot for the plane, which forces some corrections, which with the delay become even tougher.

Elios0 #55 Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 27 battles
well put op you can add HAWXS to that list of games with a well down flight model

Edited by Elios0, 29 September 2012 - 02:19 AM.

Compass 6HV_______________________________25% Edge 540

Elios0 #56 Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 27 battles

View PostHarnisfechten, on 26 September 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

wait.........so the Devs.........PURPOSELY made the planes bleed obscene amounts of speed in a climb, in order to make TERRAIN play a role!?!??

um. It's a game about airplanes. Terrain doesn't need to play a role. The "Terrain" that plays a role in air combat is the air itself. The energy fight, the most important concept of air combat.

Also, good call on not being able to "boom and zoom". I noticed it too.

YUP and make the climb stats totally worthless only thing that matters is the size of the guns and how fast you can turn

rabidgwen #57 Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:24 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I agree with the OP.
I tried using a ps3 controller, turned the sensitivity ALL the way down and still found it next to impossible to execute a banking turn without the aircraft doing insane pitching and rolling.
The mouse on the other hand is quite capable of controlling the aircraft, it's much more fluid - like it should be.
I hope this is resolved, I'd prefer not to be forced into using a mouse for a "flight sim".

stamplicker #58 Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
while you guys are on the subject I feel like even when I pull the flaps out it doesnt help hardly at all on my p36 and I miss the sound of my wings flapping in the wind if im trying to turn too sharp in other sims I feel like its restricting my turns with numbers not physics.

Elios0 #59 Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 27 battles

View Poststamplicker, on 29 September 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

while you guys are on the subject I feel like even when I pull the flaps out it doesnt help hardly at all on my p36 and I miss the sound of my wings flapping in the wind if im trying to turn too sharp in other sims I feel like its restricting my turns with numbers not physics.

thats becouse thats what it IS doing

Valorin #60 Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:28 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostCrag_r, on 16 September 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

I'm fine, but i guess i am a pilot in real life so i am cheating. I use a joystick and have played around extensively with my sensitivity to play how i like.

Hey, Devs Words not mine. I don't like it either!

Which joystick are you using? Is it the X52? If so, could you send me a profile and a list of changes you made? Please and thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users