American Aces of WW1 - Raoul Lufbery

RaoulLufbery america france ww1 ace air pilot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

mrcanadian4 #1 Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
American - French pilot Roaul Lufbery served in the US army air service in WW1. 17 confirmed victories.
In 1916, a group of American volunteers formed the Escadrille Américaine (shortly to be renamed N-124 Escadrille Lafayette) to aid France’s war effort against the Germans.
The squadron was largely made up of upper-class Americans with little flight experience. Lufbery, as an American citizen with aeronautics experience, was recruited and joined the unit on 24 May 1916 and was assigned a Nieuport fighter.

On 19 May 1918, Lufbery took off in his Nieuport 28 in an attempt to intercept a German Rumpler reconnaissance machine near to the 94th's home airfield. Closing in to attack, the German gunner's fire hit the Nieuport.

http://www.tao-yin.c...ishy.jpgLufbery and his pet Lion.

11kfrank #2 Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:07 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Jeff Shaara's book, To the Last Man, does a GREAT job of dipicting Lufbery's life as a fighter pilot among others. I just plain love all of Shaara's books. he does great research, enough that he can tell the stories in first person, and he tells the story of the war from both sides points of view as generals, infantry, tankers, sailors, and pilots.

StinkerAce__ #3 Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:19 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
there is a really good movie based on the laffeyette squadron from WW1, they have 2 lions, one of them is named soda, the move is called Flyboys. its one of my favorite movies

Captain_Dreddlin #4 Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
It's interesting that Lufbery was not a naturally skilled or gifted pilot but he had three things: bravery, determination, and attention to detail with mechanical matters with his plane. This is a good lesson for all pilots in WoWp. Tactics, determination, understanding of flight dynamics, a good control system, and a well chosen plane can win out over more naturally gifted pilots in higher tier aircraft.

Edited by Captain_Dreddlin, 10 August 2012 - 05:01 PM.

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down." - Chuck Yeager