Do you win in a plane then move on?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

BuffaloTime #1 Posted 13 September 2022 - 01:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 22906 battles

I have a pattern. Usually if I win in a plane and get my first Victory bonus, I move on to another plane. If I lose I play the plane until I win or get 4 or 5 losses in it. Then I move on.

What do you do?

Captain_Underpants53 #2 Posted 13 September 2022 - 01:47 AM

Colonel

• 49785 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS
It depends on what I am working for.  Tokens usually but sometimes other priorities.  So I suppose I tend to do what you do most times.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 13 September 2022 - 02:08 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7902 battles
  • [CWM] CWM
I just play whatever I enjoy

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

CorvusCorvax #4 Posted 13 September 2022 - 02:43 AM

Colonel

• 7627 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Depends on my goals.  If I am grinding a line, or grinding for spec, I just play the plane.  If I am tired of a particular plane or tier, there is another spec grind to do.  Or, I could just fly T8 premium planes to buff my bank for the next T10 purchase.

Or I'm just cranking dailies for tokens, and I'm playing the planes that win the tokens.

Sometimes, I'm just flying the planes because I enjoy them.  Like the J8M.  Carry?  LOLOLOL, no.  Win?  Good luck.  Have fun zooming into orbit?  Oh, HELL yes.

I might not be King of the Hill, but I am the Prince of Potatoes.

jack_wdw #5 Posted 13 September 2022 - 08:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4681 battles
Depends.
I only play on EU nowadays.
If i'm grinding a line, i mostly play until i get the x2, x3 or x5 and then move on. If i enjoyed the battle or plane, i might play some more battles in that plane. if i lose two times in a row, i quit that plane for the day and i'll move over to another plane;
If marathon or tokens demand i fly a certain class of plane, i might fly that plane until that goal is achieved.

Most of my grinds are over now, so i'm more focussing on achieving a +60WR in my planes.
I keep on playing a plane until i've unlocked the next plane in that line or until i achieve a +60WR in that plane, after those criteria are met, i mostly don't fly those planes anymore;

This account is the family car, my other car is wack007@eu

gerr22 #6 Posted 13 September 2022 - 01:29 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 9305 battles
  • [SS-G1] SS-G1

how to answer this 240 odd planes some spec ed some not ok a lot not all have their original pilots in them so this is my way of playing grab a plane fly it till spec ed enhance and calibrate to max take pilot to 15 points move to next oh a mission for a special pilot take plane right for job and do it fun times oh and 9 years later playing every day still not done and i still short some planes so how can you guys have a struggle enjoying this game 

if you are selling planes just because you don t like em  you are playing the wrong game all these planes have some good (maybe not the bombers) but i am still working on that.

yes the game has flaws show me one that has none if you love flying or flying games this is the best at the moment and no i do not want a job at WG i just love the game

that s my two cents

BuffaloTime #7 Posted 13 September 2022 - 01:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 22906 battles

View Postgerr22, on 13 September 2022 - 08:29 AM, said:

how to answer this 240 odd planes some spec ed some not ok a lot not all have their original pilots in them so this is my way of playing grab a plane fly it till spec ed enhance and calibrate to max take pilot to 15 points move to next oh a mission for a special pilot take plane right for job and do it fun times oh and 9 years later playing every day still not done and i still short some planes so how can you guys have a struggle enjoying this game 

if you are selling planes just because you don t like em  you are playing the wrong game all these planes have some good (maybe not the bombers) but i am still working on that.

yes the game has flaws show me one that has none if you love flying or flying games this is the best at the moment and no i do not want a job at WG i just love the game

that s my two cents

All my planes are specialized. I don't grind pilots to 15 skills because the grind from 14 to 15 is too much. I wouldn't be flying any other plane for awhile. I agree with your opinion of targets...I mean bombers.

V8Daniel #8 Posted 13 September 2022 - 03:15 PM

Master Sergeant

• 15315 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
I don't play too much, maybe 3 to 6 battles in an average day, so I play with some of the planes I like more, trying to get the 2x or 3x xp and some tokens. Usually once I get the win I move to other plane, but depends on what is going on for the day, like the special missions, operation orders etc.

CorvusCorvax #9 Posted 13 September 2022 - 05:33 PM

Colonel

• 7627 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Yeah, the 14 and some million crew XP to get from 14 points to 15 points is absolutely ridiculous.

I get making the progression harder, and it makes some sense.  But millions and millions of XP to get from 10 to 11, then 10 million and more to get another point past 14?

Absolutely insane.

cundalini_ #10 Posted 13 September 2022 - 05:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 224 battles
I play when the Anniversary for the plane....:hiding:

Edited by cundalini_, 13 September 2022 - 07:34 PM.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #11 Posted 13 September 2022 - 06:33 PM

Major

• 1937 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Postcundalini_, on 13 September 2022 - 12:50 PM, said:

yeah, as I get older me and the plane...

well, we put the grandkids to bed early

maybe open a bottle of wine and

talk about the old days

and how things were simpler then

how the game use to have a purpose

the game felt inviting, life felt good

now it seems to be forced and unsatisfying

:(

pyantoryng #12 Posted 13 September 2022 - 06:34 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5850 battles

View Postcundalini_, on 14 September 2022 - 12:50 AM, said:

Keeping all the planes in the vain hope of it coming back...:(

CorvusCorvax #13 Posted 13 September 2022 - 07:36 PM

Colonel

• 7627 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Postpyantoryng, on 13 September 2022 - 10:34 AM, said:

Keeping all the planes in the vain hope of it coming back...:(

I think XBK told us that it a low priority item, but that it is planned.

Probably right after we get Clan Wars.

cobra_marksman #14 Posted 13 September 2022 - 08:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 14991 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 12 September 2022 - 09:08 PM, said:

I just play whatever I enjoy

Same

Don't really believe in any type of pattern when flying or gaming here. 

The Matchmaker tend to have control on rolling teams, so you are really at its mercy.

A 2-player team definitely has an advantage on the opposing team, but the MM see them as equal. 

Just like spec. & un- spec. planes are considered equal in the MM eyes.

Just fly your favorites, and ignore the wins & losses, (really no one cares about wins & losses anymore with the introductions of dumb bots )

Bots at times tend to control the flow of the game, unless you're a player who tends to use the F-keys to somewhat control them.

Edited by cobra_marksman, 13 September 2022 - 09:16 PM.

Airman_No_23903 #15 Posted 14 September 2022 - 11:04 AM

Master Sergeant

• 2094 battles
 I'm not going to complain about the MM - it's as bad as it is. If it were better, it would lead to longer waiting times and with the small number of players, it would lead to more all-bot games. 
I understood that and accepted it.

But what I can't turn off for me is my primary goal of winning a game. 
How do you do that, keep the game fun when thrown into a team lineup that makes winning nearly impossible?
CC once wrote somewhere that in a season of several weeks there is sometimes a game that is initially predetermined to be lost, but then unexpectedly can still lead to a win.
How do you endure these weeks of predetermined defeats? 
How do you get satisfaction in the multitude of predictable defeats?

edit: Let's assume real quitters in the following paragraph (see jack_wdw's post).
Some use the early exit from the game - quitting - as the only weapon against the MM. I'm not usually one of them yet, because I still need any points to complete the mission objectives and immediately switch out the few daylies witch include win conditions.
However, in my games I experience more and more quitters and when a team member quits, I now quit as well. Is this the future of this game? 

Edited by Airman_No_23903, 14 September 2022 - 01:16 PM.

jack_wdw #16 Posted 14 September 2022 - 11:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4681 battles

View PostAirman_No_23903, on 14 September 2022 - 11:04 AM, said:

However, in my games I experience more and more quitters and when a team member quits, I now quit as well. Is this the future of this game? 

Wait long enough.
Sometimes people are listed as quitter in the pre-battle roster, but they can come back to the battle, mostly after a couple of seconds.
I assume these are the people that experienced a game crash. (and i see this happening a lot lately.)

Wait at least 1 minute into battle and then check your team roster again.
If he's still listed as quitter with 0 points, than it really is a quitter.

This account is the family car, my other car is wack007@eu

Tomsh #17 Posted 14 September 2022 - 12:58 PM

Airman Basic

• 1752 battles
  • [BSSF] BSSF

View PostAirman_No_23903, on 14 September 2022 - 11:04 AM, said:

When I think that the team, however composed, no longer wants to win, I try to concentrate on the fulfillment of the dayly missions.

It still most likely end-up in a defeat but this way you got at least the most out of it.

RoIand #18 Posted 14 September 2022 - 02:20 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6801 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostAirman_No_23903, on 14 September 2022 - 12:04 PM, said:

I'm not going to complain about the MM - it's as bad as it is. If it were better, it would lead to longer waiting times and with the small number of players, it would lead to more all-bot games. 
I understood that and accepted it.

But what I can't turn off for me is my primary goal of winning a game. 
How do you do that, keep the game fun when thrown into a team lineup that makes winning nearly impossible?
CC once wrote somewhere that in a season of several weeks there is sometimes a game that is initially predetermined to be lost, but then unexpectedly can still lead to a win.
How do you endure these weeks of predetermined defeats? 

edit: Let's assume real quitters in the following paragraph (see jack_wdw's post).
Some use the early exit from the game - quitting - as the only weapon against the MM. I'm not usually one of them yet, because I still need any points to complete the mission objectives and immediately switch out the few daylies witch include win conditions.
You can't expect to win every game.
Losing with decency is part of the game and has to be learned.
Compare it to a poker night. When you play poker with friends, you will win some and lose some. The fun is in playing poker together.
If things don't go well for you on one poker night, they might go better on the next.
It's the same here, only bad cards on a poker night is like only bad MM - if all you do is lose, leave the game for today, move on to something else you enjoy and try again later or the next day. 
Giving up by quitting also fits into my poker comparison.
A good poker player tries to get the best out of a bad hand and doesn't throw his cards on the table.
Granted - in an online game, surrendering is easier because you're anonymous. With your poker friends, you wouldn't be invited to the next poker night if you always throw the bad cards on the table.
And yes - in poker you can also pass, but not here.
But every comparison is always a bit lame...

Edited by RoIand, 14 September 2022 - 03:06 PM.

Airman_No_23903 #19 Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:45 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2094 battles

O.K. Roland, your comparison is lame for several reasons.
A quitter may also deliberately misinterpret your advice -
like this:

If things don't go well for you on one poker night game, they might go better on the next. So end it by quitting and start a new.

if all you do is lose, leave the game for today, move on to something else you the next and enjoy a better MM.

Which brings us back to my basic question. Is quitting the future of this game?

CorvusCorvax #20 Posted 14 September 2022 - 10:29 PM

Colonel

• 7627 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostAirman_No_23903, on 14 September 2022 - 12:45 PM, said:

Which brings us back to my basic question. Is quitting the future of this game?

Only for folks who aren't adult enough to play a full battle and lose.

Sometimes the MM deals you a bad hand.  If you have the skill, you can still win.  How can you learn, unless you challenge yourself?  Being on a poor team is a challenge, and you can either fold, or play the hand out.  You already threw in your ante.  Might as well play, to see if you can pull a win out.

There is almost nothing sweeter than a "sure loss" that by sheer will and effort you turn into a win.  Hard to taste that sweetness if you drop to hangar.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users