heat wave in California

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

tdave1953 #21 Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 13491 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostWhistling_Death_, on 08 September 2022 - 12:50 AM, said:

97% of scientists agree with whomever is funding them.

It's been several decades since I went through the research funding grind, but this statement isn't accurate, as Corvus noted. But I would like to add here that all research goes through a rigorous independent peer-review before publication, and that process is very exacting. I know that firsthand. Research results that are not published in major peer-reviewed journals simply are not taken seriously by the scientific community. The funders are not involved in that process. Oh, businesses that fund research may want to see certain results, and may even create their own "scientific" publications or organizations to disseminate results they like. But a detailed peer-review weeds out obviously shoddy research design and data analyses.

Edited by tdave1953, 08 September 2022 - 07:38 PM.

Flushmaster #22 Posted 08 September 2022 - 09:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6232 battles
  • [T_E_S] T_E_S

89.43% of all statistics including this one are made up on the spot.

Hey, check it out! I can use big letters and say numbers too! That means I'm obviously an expert, right?

CorvusCorvax #23 Posted 08 September 2022 - 10:39 PM

Colonel

• 7627 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostFlushmaster, on 08 September 2022 - 01:28 PM, said:

89.43% of all statistics including this one are made up on the spot.

Hey, check it out! I can use big letters and say numbers too! That means I'm obviously an expert, right?

Obviously.

I might not be King of the Hill, but I am the Prince of Potatoes.

Captain_Underpants53 #24 Posted 09 September 2022 - 12:03 AM

Colonel

• 49786 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 08 September 2022 - 09:02 AM, said:

This is nothing but a lie.

Anyone who knows anything about grant funding knows that major academic granting is a process that is exactly 180 degrees opposite of this.  In fact, you don't get funding if you can't support your hypothesis with SOMETHING other than your opinion.  And that "something" has to be hard data, and hard data, when looked at carefully, won't crumble.

"Follow the money" assumes some intent.  Without proof of intent, is nothing more than disinformation, propaganda, or just plain lies.  So far, I have never seen a single piece of evidence of intent from granting agencies to push some agenda, let alone proof.  The circular reasoning of "they are all in on it" isn't proof or evidence.

All anyone has to do to prove this to themselves is actually look up what is required to fund a grant request.  I have actually gone through the process, so whenever this kind of stuff comes up, I always laugh at how gullible some folks are.

On the whole, I completely agree with every part of this.  On the other hand, there is the case of the Englishman you decided that vaccinations were causing kids to go nutso autistic.   I'm pretty confident that there are others like him out there.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

CorvusCorvax #25 Posted 09 September 2022 - 12:35 AM

Colonel

• 7627 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 08 September 2022 - 04:03 PM, said:

On the whole, I completely agree with every part of this.  On the other hand, there is the case of the Englishman you decided that vaccinations were causing kids to go nutso autistic.   I'm pretty confident that there are others like him out there.

There are.  He was indicted for fraud, because he invented his test results.  That was found when other researchers tried to replicate his findings, and could not.

Mistakes do happen, but that's the beauty of the scientific method  - mistakes are corrected in due course of time.

The truth always comes out.  Always.

I might not be King of the Hill, but I am the Prince of Potatoes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users