Mouse?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

bud_tugly #1 Posted 17 May 2022 - 10:01 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 414 battles
  • [GOM] GOM

What brand of mouse do you use for the game?

I see on the internet there are many to choose from.

If you could pick any mouse,Which one would you choose?

Is a joystick a better option to the mouse?

Get Off My Grass !

Deltavee #2 Posted 18 May 2022 - 01:48 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 5938 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View Postbud_tugly, on 17 May 2022 - 05:01 PM, said:

What brand of mouse do you use for the game?

I see on the internet there are many to choose from.

If you could pick any mouse,Which one would you choose?

Is a joystick a better option to the mouse?

Logitech G-602 wireless mouse is what I use after trying several brands.

After playing the game for some years I finally wound up using the mouse and keyboard by default.  The aiming is more precise with the mouse, I've found. 

In addition the camera is more usable with the mouse than the flat plane that the joystick hat gives you.  I reprogrammed the hat for other functions.on the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro until the half the hat functions and the fire button went west and I didn't bother to replace it which told me all I needed to know about which I preferred.  Also I've seen posts here and there about the stick not lasting all that long as in less than two years before replacement was required.  Mine bit it at about the two-year mark.

The Logitech G-602 fits the palm nicely, has 6 "programmable" side buttons, another two on the edge of the left top key closer to the front plus the regular two on top and mouse click.  You can mount almost everything you will use regularly on the mouse leaving the other hand on the keyboard for just flying and a special button or two.  Battery life is very good.

There are factions that recommend the stick and swear by it and the same with the m&k folks.  I just ran both until one of them broke.

Edited by Deltavee, 18 May 2022 - 01:58 AM.

Deltavee

Sic Itur Ad Astra

Such is the pathway to the stars

Flying NA and EU

pedro1_3 #3 Posted 18 May 2022 - 02:21 AM

Master Sergeant

• 3137 battles
  • [GAVCA] GAVCA

I use a HP M260 mouse, it has a 125Hz polling rate and can output in the following DPI settings: 800-1600-2400-3200-4800-6400.

I use 2400DPI with a raw input sensitive multiplier of 0,4 to get 960 true DPI, in game sensitivity is 40.

If I could chose any mouse it would be the Logitec G502 Hero or one of it's clones, since it allows you to unbind machineguns and cannons, as well as binding in a bomb and rocket drop on the mouse for easier time droping, my current mouse only allows for either the machineguns or the bomb and rocket drops.

From what I understand current World of Warplanes likes the accuracy and awareness of mouse better than the control precision of joystick.

pedro1_3 #4 Posted 18 May 2022 - 02:40 AM

Master Sergeant

• 3137 battles
  • [GAVCA] GAVCA

View PostDeltavee, on 18 May 2022 - 01:48 AM, said:

Logitech G-602 wireless

Interesting choice, I would add that it might be a better idea to get the G604 Lightspeed Wireless, since the G602 is out of manufacture since 2017. Also since the G600 series it uses AA bateries it might be a bit too heavy to some people.

J311yfish #5 Posted 18 May 2022 - 04:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 8051 battles
  • [343] 343

I had an Anker mouse with 4 thumb buttons (about 5-7 years ago) that was exceptional for this game because you could bind boost, guns/cannons, etc. to the thumb -- really great.  It is no longer available. It was once offered also under the Rosewill (Newegg) name but no longer.

I am using a Mionix Naos 7000 and have no problem recommending it (great x5 years).  It has been replaced by the Mionix Naos QG and Pro.  Alternatively, I would have considered the Microsoft Intellimouse reboot (the shape of which was copied by Razer Deathadder), but had Mionix Naos 7000 already.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War // History of World of Warplanes

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #6 Posted 18 May 2022 - 05:15 AM

Major

• 1853 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

I use a chicken... small but it has an optic ball

I'm anti mouse as well as anti russian

it's just me, I built it because I hate russia

again, it's just my chicken and opinion

Edited by Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo, 18 May 2022 - 03:30 PM.

bud_tugly #7 Posted 18 May 2022 - 06:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 414 battles
  • [GOM] GOM

View PostJ311yfish, on 18 May 2022 - 04:31 AM, said:

I had an Anker mouse with 4 thumb buttons (about 5-7 years ago) that was exceptional for this game because you could bind boost, guns/cannons, etc. to the thumb -- really great.  It is no longer available. It was once offered also under the Rosewill (Newegg) name but no longer.

I am using a Mionix Naos 7000 and have no problem recommending it (great x5 years).  It has been replaced by the Mionix Naos QG and Pro.  Alternatively, I would have considered the Microsoft Intellimouse reboot (the shape of which was copied by Razer Deathadder), but had Mionix Naos 7000 already.

You got me with the lasting you 5 years.Thanks to all.Great recommendations.

Get Off My Grass !

RoIand #8 Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6335 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

If you're looking for a mouse, there isn't one that's best for everyone. You'll just have to try out which one suits your needs best.
The price, but also the functions you want to use the mouse for in the game, play a big role.
Personally, I tried out several leading, very expensive gaming mice with a lot of buttons and then ultimately stuck with a mouse that only has two additional thumb buttons.
For me, the priority then was the accuracy and fast response time that my mouse delivers. In addition, you can use your keyboard for other functions and thus distribute the load over two hands.
Above all, it has to feel good in your hand so that you don't experience any signs of tiredness when playing or even pain when gaming for longer periods of time.
I then ended up with the "logitech G MX-518", which I have now been using for 2 years without any problems. I deliberately chose a mouse with a cable, because the transmission time via cable is still better than with a wireless mouse and you can never have a mouse failure in the middle of the game because of weak battery power.

RC30m1 #9 Posted 18 May 2022 - 12:02 PM

Master Sergeant

• 5667 battles
  • [T_E_S] T_E_S

Corsair Nightsword.

This is a corded mouse and my WoWP setting is 6700 dpi.

Fire on left button, flaps on right.

To get technical...very little movement needed, I hold the mouse on it's sides with my tips of my ring and pinkie finger resting on the desk, then just tilt my fingertips to aim, helps alot with accuracy IMO.

Evasive maneuvering It moves around a little bit more, but well within the size of a small mousepad.

Edited for content.

Edited by RC30m1, 19 May 2022 - 12:06 AM.

Master_Cylinder #10 Posted 18 May 2022 - 12:36 PM

• 200 battles
  • [FK] FK
would not use a mouse or a joystick neither work for me

qu33kKC #11 Posted 18 May 2022 - 01:28 PM

First Lieutenant

• 19168 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Viper from RAZOR.  I'm a lefty, and finding an ambidextrous mouse limits my options.  it's got side buttons that I've keyed to yaw, although I'm not very good about using them.

Flushmaster #12 Posted 18 May 2022 - 01:40 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5822 battles
  • [T_E_S] T_E_S
I use a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro joystick. I had one that worked for about a year, spent 6 years in a dank basement, then worked for another six months before some of the buttons got sketchy. Replaced it about six months ago with another one. It costs like $30. I have everything on the stick buttons except for a few bot commands. I don't really use the hat to pan view around on the flat plane, I have a button set to snap to target and use that to keep accurate track of anything I'm actively dogfighting with. That takes some getting used to but between that and keeping an eye on the minimap I can maintain good situational awareness. 

SenatorTH #13 Posted 18 May 2022 - 04:27 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 10151 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

A joystick is hands down the best device for flying.

But if we take a mouse, then IMO there are two best options: Logitech G300s and G502. Both because of their additional buttons AND their exact placement.

And taking into account that last time I saw G300s being $15 on Amazon, it's literally hard to beat ))

Deltavee #14 Posted 18 May 2022 - 08:09 PM

• 5938 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

View Postpedro1_3, on 17 May 2022 - 09:40 PM, said:

Interesting choice, I would add that it might be a better idea to get the G604 Lightspeed Wireless, since the G602 is out of manufacture since 2017. Also since the G600 series it uses AA bateries it might be a bit too heavy to some people.

I went with what was on my desk, not from the Logitech site, peedro.

Five years is a good lifespan for a gaming mouse but I will check out the G604. 

Anyone that can't handle the weight of two AA batteries should probably be using a joystick anyway.

:facepalm:

Deltavee

Sic Itur Ad Astra

Such is the pathway to the stars

Flying NA and EU

aquabat #15 Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha Test Veteran
  • 6965 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
I use an old Corsair Vengeance M65 and it works well for me.

CorvusCorvax #16 Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:14 AM

Colonel

• 7229 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

I use a Corsair 8-button gaming mouse.

I might not be King of the Hill, but I am the Prince of Potatoes.

No_habla_ingles_ #17 Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:04 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 11054 battles
 Logitech Extreme 3d Pro joystick

Flushmaster #18 Posted 20 May 2022 - 12:14 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5822 battles
  • [T_E_S] T_E_S

If you're going to use a mouse I might suggest one with a bunch of buttons on it. I have a Logitech G-600 that's designed and marketed mainly for MMORPGs where you have a bunch of different skills and such, but the same usefulness can apply to things like flaps, brakes, consumables, bot commands, etc. There are similar designs from other companies. It has 12 buttons on the left side for use with your thumb in a 3x4 grid with slight angles to them to create tactile grooves that aid in identifying which buttons you're clicking; you hit the front two vertical columns of three with the tip of your thumb and then kind of rock back to hit the back three with the inside of your knuckle. It sounds a bit ridiculous and does take a bit of practice but once you've learned it and developed the muscle memory you have a full two dozen keys literally under your thumb (there's a third "main" button that you click with your ring finger that functions as a shift key for the thumb buttons, doubling the bindings for them). Additionally the wheel can be clicked as normal for "mouse 3" but it also can be bumped to either side for mouse 4 and 5. In total it gives you a maximum of 29 unique programmable keystroke functions all in your right hand that you don't have to take eyes off the screen to look for. It also has a wide range of DPI settings and you can save three different ones to be toggled with a button behind the scroll wheel.

I got mine for playing Guild Wars 2 and it took me about two weeks to teach myself to fully and reflexively use it which I did by slowly using it for more and more functions, gradually abandoning the keyboard as I did so. It might be worth noting that I have fairly large hands but I came to find it perfectly comfortable after a while even if my first impression was that it felt like I was roughly groping a brick with half a keyboard wrapped around it.

That being said I'm still sticking with my $30 stick of joy for flying digital airplanes. If you're curious about price, my G-600 set me back about $60 iirc, and it still works fine after going on two years now.

Edited by Flushmaster, 20 May 2022 - 12:29 AM.

Corsair4790805 #19 Posted 20 May 2022 - 05:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2887 battles
  • [A_C_E] A_C_E

View PostFlushmaster, on 19 May 2022 - 04:14 PM, said:

If you're going to use a mouse I might suggest one with a bunch of buttons on it. I have a Logitech G-600 that's designed and marketed mainly for MMORPGs where you have a bunch of different skills and such, but the same usefulness can apply to things like flaps, brakes, consumables, bot commands, etc. There are similar designs from other companies. It has 12 buttons on the left side for use with your thumb in a 3x4 grid with slight angles to them to create tactile grooves that aid in identifying which buttons you're clicking; you hit the front two vertical columns of three with the tip of your thumb and then kind of rock back to hit the back three with the inside of your knuckle. It sounds a bit ridiculous and does take a bit of practice but once you've learned it and developed the muscle memory you have a full two dozen keys literally under your thumb (there's a third "main" button that you click with your ring finger that functions as a shift key for the thumb buttons, doubling the bindings for them). Additionally the wheel can be clicked as normal for "mouse 3" but it also can be bumped to either side for mouse 4 and 5. In total it gives you a maximum of 29 unique programmable keystroke functions all in your right hand that you don't have to take eyes off the screen to look for. It also has a wide range of DPI settings and you can save three different ones to be toggled with a button behind the scroll wheel.

I got mine for playing Guild Wars 2 and it took me about two weeks to teach myself to fully and reflexively use it which I did by slowly using it for more and more functions, gradually abandoning the keyboard as I did so. It might be worth noting that I have fairly large hands but I came to find it perfectly comfortable after a while even if my first impression was that it felt like I was roughly groping a brick with half a keyboard wrapped around it.

That being said I'm still sticking with my $30 stick of joy for flying digital airplanes. If you're curious about price, my G-600 set me back about $60 iirc, and it still works fine after going on two years now.

This probably a silly question (but I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy).   What does DPI have to do with how good a mouse is or isn't?

Sniider #20 Posted 20 May 2022 - 06:10 PM

Airman Basic

• 9455 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

DPI is dots per inch. Higher DPI means less mouse movement to move the pointer from A to B, so less mouse mat real-estate is needed. The mouse that I have has two buttons to increase/decrease DPI, comes in handy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users