Help with Ground Attack and Bomber Aircraft

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

PotatoMD #1 Posted 16 May 2022 - 03:47 AM

Airman Basic

• 545 battles
  • [FK] FK

I can't seem to get the hang of these two classes, they seem to be far too vulnerable. Their durability doesn't mean much when they are too slow to run, their defensive turrets only tickle enemies especially heavy fighters, and for bombers the safety of being at high altitude doesn't mean much when high altitude fighters and heavy fighters exist. Granted, I've only ever played the low tier German and Soviet ones, but those were some of the most frustrating experiences I have ever faced in the game. When playing against these classes in my fighter, multirole, and heavy fighters, they tend to just be food, even when they're crewed by humans.

I also just find that the other three classes are just much more impactful in a match, what is there even to do when the caps are all taken? Even in taking a cap, I found that shooting down the bots (if they're available) works much better than taking a ground attack and trying to destroy the buildings.

Edited by PotatoMD, 16 May 2022 - 03:51 AM.

Corsair4790805 #2 Posted 16 May 2022 - 04:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2860 battles
  • [A_C_E] A_C_E

View PostPotatoMD, on 15 May 2022 - 07:47 PM, said:

I can't seem to get the hang of these two classes, they seem to be far too vulnerable. Their durability doesn't mean much when they are too slow to run, their defensive turrets only tickle enemies especially heavy fighters, and for bombers the safety of being at high altitude doesn't mean much when high altitude fighters and heavy fighters exist. Granted, I've only ever played the low tier German and Soviet ones, but those were some of the most frustrating experiences I have ever faced in the game. When playing against these classes in my fighter, multirole, and heavy fighters, they tend to just be food, even when they're crewed by humans.

I also just find that the other three classes are just much more impactful in a match, what is there even to do when the caps are all taken? Even in taking a cap, I found that shooting down the bots (if they're available) works much better than taking a ground attack and trying to destroy the buildings.

I'm only to Tier 6 on the Soviet line, and Tier 4 on the German line.   I've been told that they don't really get good until Tier 8 (maybe 7)?

Having said that, I found the IL-2 (t) to be particularly impactful, especially once I had it specialized.  A couple of suggetions:

1.  Take a look at LMG's guide:  http://forum.worldof...ff-up-properly/

2.  Always use F3 to have someone on your team (bot) follow you and give help.

3.  Use the power of slow - ADA and other aircraft will overshoot you, giving you a chance to shoot them with your forward-firing weapons.

4.  Look for ground targets that have one or two sections left - if you can destroy those sections, you'll get credit for the ground target kill.

5.  Use the rudder and yaw keys when you're in the turret - just beware if you're in hilly/mountainous terrain to pay attention to where you are so you don't run into a mountain side while you're in your turret.

6.  Stay low and try to "sneak" to other sectors, paying attention to the map.

7.  Train your crews - I've gotten many kills with my turret gunners (in both auto and manual).

I suck at bombers, so can't give much advice.  Others here should chime in with advice as well.

It takes a while, but I've come to rather enjoy GAA, even though I'm mainly a light fighter guy myself.

Hit me up if you see me in game - if I'm free I'll flight with you to help as well.

Good luck :honoring:

CorvusCorvax #3 Posted 16 May 2022 - 06:00 AM

Colonel

• 7214 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
I find the T8 German and Soviet GAA to be fun.  The planes before T8?  NOT fun.  I have erased the IL-8 from my hangar, and from my memory.  Even if I have every plane in the game sometime in the future, the IL-8 will be absent.
Forever.

I should have gone with the IL-10.
I might not be King of the Hill, but I am the Prince of Potatoes.

Flushmaster #4 Posted 16 May 2022 - 12:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5726 battles
  • [T_E_S] T_E_S

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 16 May 2022 - 01:00 AM, said:

I have erased the IL-8 from my hangar, and from my memory.  Even if I have every plane in the game sometime in the future, the IL-8 will be absent.
Forever.

Sounds like me with heavies and the F7F. Except I never bought it in the first place. Totally skipped it with free XP. I regret nothing.

Trauglodyte #5 Posted 16 May 2022 - 01:12 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6734 battles

View PostPotatoMD, on 16 May 2022 - 03:47 AM, said:

The role of GAA and bombers is to put pressure, on caps.  That is it.  Low and mid-tier GAA and bombers are sitting ducks, to anything else with guns.  While they have point defense weaponry, you're typically going to be low enough, to where the angle of attack isn't good enough and, of course, the DPS is pathetic - in WG's massive IQ logic, they took the 7.96 mm first gun, on the Ju 87 G, and decided to only give the second gun, which is the Zwiling (German for "twin"), only a +50% DPS increase, despite it going from 1x 7.96 mm to 2x 7.96mm.

Regardless of my ramblings above, your goal is, to grind as quickly as possibly to tier 7.  GAA and bombers, before those tiers, are always going to be fodder.  You can max out their gear and they'll still be terrible.  Chances are good that, other than utilizing map awareness, you're not doing anything incorrectly.  It is just the impact, of the tiers.

RoIand #6 Posted 16 May 2022 - 01:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6319 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

Back then, a long long time ago, before version 2.0, the "whales" were a very successful aircraft class with which I flew 15,000 battles (mainly IL-2, IL-8 and IL-10) on the EU server with pleasure.
As others have already written, this time is over and only from T8 you can really contribute to the success of the game with a GA plane.
So dying through to T8 with GA's is the only promising advice I can give you, too.

CorvusCorvax #7 Posted 16 May 2022 - 01:42 PM

Colonel

• 7214 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostFlushmaster, on 16 May 2022 - 12:59 PM, said:

Sounds like me with heavies and the F7F. Except I never bought it in the first place. Totally skipped it with free XP. I regret nothing.

I also hated the Tigercat.  HATED.  IT.

Then I went back and repurchased it.  Specialized it.  I kinda like it now.

I might not be King of the Hill, but I am the Prince of Potatoes.

Captain_Underpants53 #8 Posted 16 May 2022 - 02:04 PM

Colonel

• 47005 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS

Try the Blenheim IV (e) at Tier III and the He 111 H-2 at Tier IV.  I would NOT recommend flying any bomber if it is not Spec.

The Blenny can get up to 8000-9000 ft.  What makes it still credible at that altitude is it can still use a bomb sight because it not only has the fastest bomb reload time of the bombers, it has the fastest reload on ANY of the 307 planes in the game. Drop two, they are cheap and plentiful.  Only the Fw-57 can get up to it and it wallows at that altitude and you can outrun it.  The Blenny is the fastest bomber at Tier III.

The He 111 H-2 can also get up to 8000-9000 ft.  It has the BEST drop pattern of ANY of the bombers.  At altitude, with Strengthened Hardpoints, it will obliterate any target you drop on.  Not quite as impregnable as the Blenny because there are a few heavies that can reach that altitude but it takes them some time to climb up there and you can run away while your bombs reload.

I consider both of these bombers to be some of the best in the game.

:great:

Honorable mention goes to the Pez Dispenser (Potez 540) because 500 lb bombs at Tier III are unrivaled.  Close is as good as you need to be from 8000 ft.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Viper_7242NC #9 Posted 16 May 2022 - 03:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 20927 battles
  • [VIPR3] VIPR3
If the human(s) on the other side decide you are the biggest threat and come after you, then your GAA is out of the match. If not, focus on soft targets first to move the meter. Soften hard target with guns or a rocket before bombing it. Stay low and if you can, save a bomb for the human that gets too eager to finish you off. Don't drop it too soon. Keep shooting, attacking ground targets and move from sector to sector. A word about plants-IMHO they are most important, if you flip it and the human(s) on the other team attack it, loiter near and flip it again after they leave. Don't go after aircraft except other GAA,  you get points in a GAA for ground targets more than aircraft kills, and choose who you fight, Me365 will kill you in the Il-8 or 10. I had a player tell me I didn't belong in tier 10 because I wouldn't dogfight him in the IL-40P vs IL-40P. You're wasting your time doing that, run out of the sector, crash then start again. Name of the game is flip sectors, focus on that. Can't give advice on bombers, I play them when mission calls for destroying a lot of ground targets, they are good at that but I don't really expect to win in a bomber. 

Edited by Viper_7242NC, 16 May 2022 - 03:49 PM.

So say we all.

PotatoMD #10 Posted 16 May 2022 - 04:37 PM

Airman Basic

• 545 battles
  • [FK] FK
Thank you for all of your inputs. It seems that in general, low tier bombers and ground attack aircraft are utterly terrible, and to get to mid/high tier as soon as possible.

I'm no stranger to terrible grinds, I'm a longtime WoWs veteran. But having several tiers of slogging through what I can only describe as a masochistic experience just doesn't sound appealing. I mean, I only just got to T6 on my American light, heavy and multirole fighters and I actually enjoy playing those.

It sounds like this is a future endeavor, when I amass enough resources to be able to speed through these low tiers.

Blaster_63 #11 Posted 16 May 2022 - 04:51 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5151 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 16 May 2022 - 01:42 PM, said:

I also hated the Tigercat.  HATED.  IT.

Then I went back and repurchased it.  Specialized it.  I kinda like it now.

I had the same sentiment until I learned to stay at altitude after dropping my bomb.  And, ..not turning :)

Captain_Underpants53 #12 Posted 16 May 2022 - 04:58 PM

Colonel

• 47005 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS

View PostPotatoMD, on 16 May 2022 - 11:37 AM, said:

Thank you for all of your inputs. It seems that in general, low tier bombers and ground attack aircraft are utterly terrible, and to get to mid/high tier as soon as possible.

I'm no stranger to terrible grinds, I'm a longtime WoWs veteran. But having several tiers of slogging through what I can only describe as a masochistic experience just doesn't sound appealing. I mean, I only just got to T6 on my American light, heavy and multirole fighters and I actually enjoy playing those.

It sounds like this is a future endeavor, when I amass enough resources to be able to speed through these low tiers.

Read my earlier post again because you seem to have completely missed my points.  Primarily, do not fly an unspec bomber and expect to do well.  Your experience with unspec bombers at ALL tiers will be horrible.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

ItsSubmersible #13 Posted 16 May 2022 - 05:12 PM

• 6691 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
Never had much problem in P1 bombers. They are quite fun and potent, spec them & they get more fun. Lbsh or even Bsh are decent GAA's. Trouble starts in P2. Anything Ru GAA is sloooooowww and a sitting duck. For the german line you want to get to the 265 ASAP. Unspecced P2 bombers are pretty much a points pinata for the reds. Work for speccing them (Use Tokens if you have to). You are still a bit of a points pinata but you can now hurt some of them & you become a much better capping machine. P3 is where life gets good. Especially if you run up the German line. Ju287/EF131 just crush stuff and then outrun/outclimb almost anything if you are paying attention. RB17 is another speedster. Not great bombload but you drop,run,repeat as needed. P3 GAA are quite potent when specced as well. You are almost always going to be the prime target no matter what tier bomber/GA you fly because you CAN carry games by capping. If the reds are smart, they get rid of you first & repeatedly.

pyantoryng #14 Posted 16 May 2022 - 06:00 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5433 battles

You gotta accept that you will die. Sooner or later you won't be able to endure any more AA fire while being chased by enemy planes. GAA moreso than bombers who can hide at high altitude and has better defensive fire. You'll be shooting at targets while under fire. Such is the life of a GAA pilot. You can mitigate AA fire by taking out the gun part of AA emplacements (triangles) ASAP. You'll need to keep flying and shooting and bombing until you get a feel of how much punishment can a given target in the tier take, and you'll become more effective by being able to move onto the next target faster. This applies to bombers too, but in terms of how many bombs and how dispersion might ruin things. Understanding the targets' durability and sectors' layout will be the key to successful attack plane play, GAA and bombers alike.

You'll wish you had these heavy planes at all when there are "heavy" sectors like Mining Plants or Military Bases in the pictures. LFs are often powerless against the former and the small ordnance load of the other two can only do so much. The Miltary Base appears to be easy for fighters because it's so hotly contested that there will be planes flying above. But if it's empty you'd wish you had an attacker to nail off the 80 pointer so you can kill the two ADAs and capture it. Also of note is the command center - you can't capture it on 3 fighter ADAs, but MRF can cover the rest easily with overwhelming firepower or ordnances.

Outside of forward airstrip, an attack plane is assured to have enough points to capture sectors through ground pounding alone - even the airbase, but under the assumption that no one else has been shot down over the sector and in the case of airbase, every single target outside of repair pad are needed for a capture through ground attack alone.

Like Trauglodyte said, this is the one case where rushing up the tiers is advisable and is recommended, especially for GAA. Luckily, you can sidetrack into T7 GAAs on both Germany and USSR through the Me 410 and I-220, respecctively, the former even lets you start the Me 265 somewhat upgraded, with engines and 30mms. Consider this option if you're already on those lines. The attack planes start to be able to do their job by that point, with powerful cannons and ordnances, with more speed to go around the map.

The bombers will manage in lower tiers, but the lack of hard targets and weaker bombs diminish their tactical value until around tier 7, where 3-sector maps stop appearing altogether giving you more sectors to go to. The bombers' ordnance load doesn't change much until the top tier where it truly become ridiculous, but they do go faster than GAAs overall and better at attacking

Maps with no "heavy" sectors such as all garrisons or garrisons+airfields will be disadvantageous to bombers due to overkilling soft targets and the targets worth less per bomb spent, whereas GAA's guns are well-suited to destroy the soft targets while ordnance can be reserved for armored targets or emergencies. In maps with many "heavy" sectors such as double mining plants, is where the bombers shine the most, being able to blow through all the hard targets in one bomb load, potentially capturing in a single pass without giving the enemy time to response.

Remember, the time a GAA spend dogfighting is time it is not working. Disengage where possible and concentrate on flipping sectors. The GAA not doing its job can be a direct contributor to team defeat because the sectors are not flipped back.

I had to re-grind GAAs on Asia, and the USSR low-mid tier isn't a fun prospect. You're too slow and your ordnance too few or too weak. It's not until the IL-8 or IL-10 where you are fast enough and has enough firepower to be truly effective. I sidetracked into Me 265 through the 410 and it served me well on missions that needed ground pounding, the Me 329 beyond it is surprisingly effective, and the German jets are better than the USSR ones in the environment that you need to compete with bombers with their superior speed taking you places faster. The USSR GAA jets (IL-40) has better HP and their guns are better at shooting off soft targets due to higher RoF and overheating less.

Low tier attack planes simply don't have what it takes to do their job well or even at all (The TSh-2 has no ordnance and can't even load ammo to improve fire chance), by the time you stop seeing 3 sector maps they are starting to matter in battles more. There is a reason why people complain and discourse on tier 10 bombers, after all...

PotatoMD #15 Posted 16 May 2022 - 06:03 PM

Airman Basic

• 545 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 16 May 2022 - 04:58 PM, said:

Read my earlier post again because you seem to have completely missed my points.  Primarily, do not fly an unspec bomber and expect to do well.  Your experience with unspec bombers at ALL tiers will be horrible.

I don't follow. From my understanding to specialize a plane you either need a fair amount of battles in it or pay out the nose with tokens.

Your suggestions for low tiers are premium, or at least not in the tech tree, so those are out of the question.

pyantoryng #16 Posted 16 May 2022 - 06:17 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5433 battles

View PostPotatoMD, on 17 May 2022 - 01:03 AM, said:

I don't follow. From my understanding to specialize a plane you either need a fair amount of battles in it or pay out the nose with tokens.

Your suggestions for low tiers are premium, or at least not in the tech tree, so those are out of the question.

You need specialization to use the plane at full power. Some planes have crucial modification or consumable slot locked behind specialization, and therefore some planes are bad news when played unspec...you are in for a rough time going to spec. Also, low tier bombers has this little problem of needing turret kills, but their turrets tend to be very, very weak, and they won't get many pursuers either, so speccing them can be a nightmare if you won't fork over your tokens.

The low tier premiums are cheap, you should be able to afford it after some weeks or a few months and red boxes of gold. Also keep an eye out for any green, red, or special boxes being given through events. That's how you'll earn your gold to afford premium aircrafts...

...and the Potez is too slow to be of much practical use, anyway.

qu33kKC #17 Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:09 PM

First Lieutenant

• 19088 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Took the Tier IV German Tech tree bomber Do-17 out for a spin this morning.  (Daily Mission requiring ground targets.)

Bomber trifecta Doolittle, Thunder, Lang, 21 ground targets, while downtier.

I am not a Ziggy/Prenz/Cap_UP level of a bomber main.  (not even CLOSE!)

Period I bombers can be unbeatable if you know what you are doing, and there aren't humans in heavies in the mix.  As a note, if you get the right map, the He-111 is totally a game changer for a low tier premium.  If you get a map full of garrisons and forward airfields, no so much.

(I can't speak for the Soviet bombers, I don't fly Ruskies out side of freemiums.)

ItsSubmersible #18 Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:25 PM

• 6691 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostPotatoMD, on 16 May 2022 - 01:03 PM, said:

What you can do is most of the specialization except for the ridiculous stuff, like turret kills at P1. You get a discount on tokens needed once you get to a certain point, 1/2 way I think.

Captain_Underpants53 #19 Posted 16 May 2022 - 11:29 PM

Colonel

• 47005 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS

View Postpyantoryng, on 16 May 2022 - 01:17 PM, said:

You need specialization to use the plane at full power. Some planes have crucial modification or consumable slot locked behind specialization, and therefore some planes are bad news when played unspec...you are in for a rough time going to spec. Also, low tier bombers has this little problem of needing turret kills, but their turrets tend to be very, very weak, and they won't get many pursuers either, so speccing them can be a nightmare if you won't fork over your tokens.

The low tier premiums are cheap, you should be able to afford it after some weeks or a few months and red boxes of gold. Also keep an eye out for any green, red, or special boxes being given through events. That's how you'll earn your gold to afford premium aircrafts...

...and the Potez is too slow to be of much practical use, anyway.

True.  But it still can do a lot of good.  Mine does.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

PotatoMD #20 Posted 17 May 2022 - 12:08 AM

Airman Basic

• 545 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 16 May 2022 - 11:26 PM, said:

I am sprry to hear that you can't afford $7.00 for a Blenny.  Goodbye.

Oh.. ok. I don't really see how this is relevant regardless because I was more referring to grinding tech tree bombers.

View PostItsSubmersible, on 16 May 2022 - 11:25 PM, said:

What you can do is most of the specialization except for the ridiculous stuff, like turret kills at P1. You get a discount on tokens needed once you get to a certain point, 1/2 way I think.

I'm still a very new player, and don't have the resource to do that. Hence why I said I'll focus on bombers in the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users