Boosters increase losses.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

vuuduu #1 Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:43 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 8686 battles
  • [FK] FK
That's my experience. What's yours? Change my mind.
...look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky...

Whistling_Death_ #2 Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:45 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6963 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD
A Wargaming Community Contributor tested that suspicion and found it to be false.  I have too.

vuuduu #3 Posted 12 May 2022 - 04:52 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 8686 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostWhistling_Death_, on 11 May 2022 - 10:45 PM, said:

A Wargaming Community Contributor tested that suspicion and found it to be false.  I have too.

I'll have to track results I guess. Wasn't looking forward to that. I play this game for fun, not to make work for myself. All I know so far is Boosters- loss/loss/loss/loss/loss/etc/ad infinitum. Boosters expire- immediate win/win/win/loss/normal course of events. I can't say I am rock solid set on my position. But, when you play this game a lot, you notice patterns. This has been the pattern, for me, since I discovered boosters even existed. I know my win rate certainly recognizes the pattern.

Corsair4790805 #4 Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2872 battles
  • [A_C_E] A_C_E

View Postvuuduu, on 11 May 2022 - 08:52 PM, said:

I'll have to track results I guess. Wasn't looking forward to that. I play this game for fun, not to make work for myself. All I know so far is Boosters- loss/loss/loss/loss/loss/etc/ad infinitum. Boosters expire- immediate win/win/win/loss/normal course of events. I can't say I am rock solid set on my position. But, when you play this game a lot, you notice patterns. This has been the pattern, for me, since I discovered boosters even existed. I know my win rate certainly recognizes the pattern.

I think Captain Underpants  and others have made similar observations - or maybe it was being bottom tiered when running boosters.   Now I'm curious and might run an experiment or two....problem is I'm only up to T8, so I can't gather data on T9 or T10.

I can say, however anecdotally, seeing you on Red tends to increase the likelihood of me being on the losing team (but not always) :honoring:

Edited by Corsair4790805, 12 May 2022 - 05:47 AM.

Whistling_Death_ #5 Posted 12 May 2022 - 08:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6963 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

View Postvuuduu, on 12 May 2022 - 03:43 AM, said:

That's my experience. What's yours? Change my mind.

So what are you suggesting?  That for some unknown reason World of Warplanes is committing fraud, a crime?  Why would they ever do such a thing?  What is the motivation and benefit of them paying huge financial penalties and facing potential criminal charges?

Captain_Underpants53 #6 Posted 12 May 2022 - 12:18 PM

Colonel

• 47059 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS
What I have noticed is that the frequency of being low tier in battle is increased using boosters.  Maybe I will fool with them again this weekend and document the results.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Flushmaster #7 Posted 12 May 2022 - 01:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5747 battles
  • [T_E_S] T_E_S

My experience is that your statement is baseless and uninformed. I've recently been using a bunch of boosters I've had piled up to grind XP to buff up some pilots and I've been consistently winning at least 70% of my games. Which is what I've been doing for the past several months, despite my overall WR being (at last check) 62.25% (when you improve your skills after already racking up a few thousand games on your record it takes a while for the overall stats to catch up).

All that boosters do is increase your payout in XP and/or credits after the game. They have no effect on gameplay. You make a blanket statement that they "increase losses" with no evidence to support that. Have you considered the possibility that you just aren't as good at this game as you think you are?

_Bronze_ #8 Posted 12 May 2022 - 01:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 10 battles

I suspect it's because you no longer have access to the Drac Hacks vuuduu :P  traitor! :kamikaze:

:D

Airman_No_23903 #9 Posted 12 May 2022 - 01:50 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1003 battles

View Post_Bronze_, on 12 May 2022 - 01:31 PM, said:

I suspect it's because you no longer have access to the Drac Hacks vuuduu :P  traitor! :kamikaze:

I understand about the traitor, but what's with the "Dracs Hacks"?
Or was that not meant seriously?

Viper_7242NC #10 Posted 12 May 2022 - 02:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 20966 battles
  • [VIPR3] VIPR3

View Post_Bronze_, on 12 May 2022 - 08:31 AM, said:

I freaking knew it.:D

So say we all.

_Bronze_ #11 Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:11 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 10 battles

View PostAirman_No_23903, on 12 May 2022 - 08:50 AM, said:

I understand about the traitor, but what's with the "Dracs Hacks"?
Or was that not meant seriously?

Forum search dracs hacks, tongue in cheek reference to accusations over the course of early WOWP years.

vuuduu #12 Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:44 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 8686 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 12 May 2022 - 07:18 AM, said:

What I have noticed is that the frequency of being low tier in battle is increased using boosters.  Maybe I will fool with them again this weekend and document the results.

Maybe that's what it is. But, I find myself low tier most of the time, unless of course it just "seems" that way. Possible, I suppose.

As for the haters...doesn't being that hateful for so many years just get boring after a while?

You cannot be a "traitor" to something that exists in name only. But hey, you do you.

These replies (aside from a few) are a perfect example of "why bother asking there?"

CorvusCorvax #13 Posted 12 May 2022 - 03:59 PM

Colonel

• 7224 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 12 May 2022 - 12:18 PM, said:

I attribute losing to "trying too hard" and pushing, instead of just having fun.  Or doing a line grind where you are just trying to amass plane XP to get to the next plane.  If I am just flying around, playing the planes I like and avoiding grinding for XP or spec, I don't notice any difference in W/L rate or tier placement.

What I might do is run one of the new 4.5x silver boosters and then do my T8 premium rotation, and see exactly how much silver I can make, just playing for fun, and not grinding or trying to make specialization, or anything like that.  It would be amusing to see if I can actually crack 20 million silver in a single session.  Then I can grind for my Yak-30 and my J7W3!  :)

In any case, I am guessing that peoples' behavior changes somewhat when running boosters, and this can tip some battles the wrong way.

I might not be King of the Hill, but I am the Prince of Potatoes.

vuuduu #14 Posted 12 May 2022 - 04:05 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 8686 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 12 May 2022 - 10:59 AM, said:

I attribute losing to "trying too hard" and pushing, instead of just having fun.  Or doing a line grind where you are just trying to amass plane XP to get to the next plane.  If I am just flying around, playing the planes I like and avoiding grinding for XP or spec, I don't notice any difference in W/L rate or tier placement.

What I might do is run one of the new 4.5x silver boosters and then do my T8 premium rotation, and see exactly how much silver I can make, just playing for fun, and not grinding or trying to make specialization, or anything like that.  It would be amusing to see if I can actually crack 20 million silver in a single session.  Then I can grind for my Yak-30 and my J7W3!  :)

In any case, I am guessing that peoples' behavior changes somewhat when running boosters, and this can tip some battles the wrong way.

That's entirely possible. I don't know that it's the case, but it is possible. Mentioning winrate was only to illustrate how many losses in a row I accumulated while running boosters. Because I have not done spreadsheets and retoaccumulatoryspecificnonspecific analysis, winrate is the only measure I have to go by. You're absolutely right about just playing and enjoying, I agree 100%. But, when one goes 20 games inna row with nothing but losses, the joy tends to be nonexistent.

Trauglodyte #15 Posted 12 May 2022 - 04:15 PM

• 6755 battles

This is more about the game's abysmal MMer and the community population, than anything else.  The three most popular tiers are tier 5, tier 6, and tier 8.  That holds true, as well for WoT and WoWS.  So, if you're playing tier 4, tier 5, and tier 7, the chances are good that you're going to be down tiered, in matchups.  It is also why tier 4 and tier 7 are the worst tiers, across all three games.  At least for WoT, tier 8 is also where new mechanics pop up, thus making the life of tier 7 that much more difficult.  That doesn't exist, in WoWPs.  BUT, you've got a large inventory, of tier 8 premium planes, and we all know how much newbies LOVE buying tier 8 premiums, thus crapping on tier 7 even more.  And more, tier 8 typically has larger guns and more punching power, than those at tier 7 which makes the disparity greater.

Boosters are irrelevant, to the impact of the MMer.  It is all about population, tier popularity, and putting big holes in planes.

vuuduu #16 Posted 12 May 2022 - 04:19 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 8686 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostFlushmaster, on 12 May 2022 - 08:16 AM, said:

My experience is that your statement is baseless and uninformed. I've recently been using a bunch of boosters I've had piled up to grind XP to buff up some pilots and I've been consistently winning at least 70% of my games. Which is what I've been doing for the past several months, despite my overall WR being (at last check) 62.25% (when you improve your skills after already racking up a few thousand games on your record it takes a while for the overall stats to catch up).

All that boosters do is increase your payout in XP and/or credits after the game. They have no effect on gameplay. You make a blanket statement that they "increase losses" with no evidence to support that. Have you considered the possibility that you just aren't as good at this game as you think you are?

Well, the term "user experience may vary" certainly does not make my claim "baseless and uniformed". Boosters have a tremendous effect on gameplay. They increase free xp, among other things, which makes it faster to gain skills for pilots. The more skills the pilot has, the better he does, which is why they have skills in the first place. Never heard anyone say "hey, I wanna keep this pilot/gunner as skillfree as possible because skills have no effect on gameplay and they just take up extra space in the airplane." Nope, never heard that. Not once.

As for "not being as good as I think I am", quite the contrary, I have a pretty good picture of my ability in this game. I'm fair/average and certainly nothing to write home about. There's tons of people better and more and knowledgeable at/about this game than I. I am often frustrated at not being better/more knowledgeable regarding this game after this many battles. Some people simply amaze me with there abilities, and I'm like "how'd he do THAT"? But don't for a minute think I consider myself a "terror of the skies". Nothing could be further from the facts.

Edited by vuuduu, 12 May 2022 - 04:29 PM.

vuuduu #17 Posted 12 May 2022 - 04:22 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 8686 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostTrauglodyte, on 12 May 2022 - 11:15 AM, said:

This is more about the game's abysmal MMer and the community population, than anything else.  The three most popular tiers are tier 5, tier 6, and tier 8.  That holds true, as well for WoT and WoWS.  So, if you're playing tier 4, tier 5, and tier 7, the chances are good that you're going to be down tiered, in matchups.  It is also why tier 4 and tier 7 are the worst tiers, across all three games.  At least for WoT, tier 8 is also where new mechanics pop up, thus making the life of tier 7 that much more difficult.  That doesn't exist, in WoWPs.  BUT, you've got a large inventory, of tier 8 premium planes, and we all know how much newbies LOVE buying tier 8 premiums, thus crapping on tier 7 even more.  And more, tier 8 typically has larger guns and more punching power, than those at tier 7 which makes the disparity greater.

Boosters are irrelevant, to the impact of the MMer.  It is all about population, tier popularity, and putting big holes in planes.

I have to agree with you about 4/5/7. I sometimes wonder if they just have them in game as something for 5/6/8 to aim at.

vuuduu #18 Posted 12 May 2022 - 04:28 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 8686 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 12 May 2022 - 07:18 AM, said:

It would be really interesting to see what your results are. Weren't you also gonna release some results you had about some other research you recently did? Low tier/high tier maybe it was.

_Bronze_ #19 Posted 12 May 2022 - 04:41 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 10 battles

View Postvuuduu, on 12 May 2022 - 10:44 AM, said:

You cannot be a "traitor" to something that exists in name only. But hey, you do you.

Touched a nerve, sorry vuuduu.  It was all in jest, there's no point to any clans in this incarnation of the game.  Thought we were good as clan mates, not sure what's happened..so many vets with pent up hate and conspiracy theories..someone recently claimed DRACS were wargaming employees in a recent DM tirade...think I'll write it off to coma's, Alzheimer and senility.  :(

vuuduu #20 Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:25 PM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 8686 battles
  • [FK] FK

View Post_Bronze_, on 12 May 2022 - 11:41 AM, said:

Touched a nerve, sorry vuuduu.  It was all in jest, there's no point to any clans in this incarnation of the game.  Thought we were good as clan mates, not sure what's happened..so many vets with pent up hate and conspiracy theories..someone recently claimed DRACS were wargaming employees in a recent DM tirade...think I'll write it off to coma's, Alzheimer and senility.  :(

Not sure it touched a nerve so much as I felt sort of bad leaving DRACS. But, the fact is that aside from one or two guys, DRACS have ceased to exist in this game. That is why I moved on. I think they only let me join in the first place because they felt sorry for me lol. Great players all, though. The best I've seen, that's for sure. It's sort of a shame they aren't around anymore.

If we were clanmates I am sure we were good. I liked and admired nearly every single DRAC I ever met. I'm sure I got along with you, but I have no idea if this is a new name for you or not, because Bronze is not ringing a bell. That is probably entirely due to age and my short/long term memory loss lol. Truly, I have trouble remembering what I did last Friday, let alone all the DRACS I haven't seen for ages. And just to put a fine point on it, DRACS are the best there ever was or is likely to be. I still think of them as legendary.

But, nice to see you. Wish I knew if this is your regular name, because for the life of me I cannot remember a "Bronze". Remember some guy names "something Nue"? Or "Shwedder", or "Bandit", or even "Crayola"? Those dudes kicked  a$%.

Edited by vuuduu, 12 May 2022 - 05:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users