POGO

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

ItsSubmersible #1 Posted 11 January 2022 - 09:31 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 5402 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
I got to stage 58 & decided I was done grinding/playing for canes instead of playing to win. Spent $16 and got the thing. This is one unusual handling plane! It is almost like it pivots around it's tail & turns in it's own length. The guns are real good and take a bit to overheat, almost like Vulcans in the cooldown. Suprised a couple Spits by getting inside of them and then gets to altitude pretty quick for heavies or bomber hunting. Hurt some B29's pretty good with these guns! I might just like this thing!

CorvusCorvax #2 Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:07 AM

Colonel

• 6638 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostItsSubmersible, on 11 January 2022 - 09:31 PM, said:

I got to stage 58 & decided I was done grinding/playing for canes instead of playing to win. Spent $16 and got the thing. This is one unusual handling plane! It is almost like it pivots around it's tail & turns in it's own length. The guns are real good and take a bit to overheat, almost like Vulcans in the cooldown. Suprised a couple Spits by getting inside of them and then gets to altitude pretty quick for heavies or bomber hunting. Hurt some B29's pretty good with these guns! I might just like this thing!

It is a great bomber-killer.  It plays the up/down game with GAAs and bombers, too.  In my last battle, I killed a B-29C twice by just hanging in space under the belly.  It was crazy.

Really turny planes will get inside it, but they have to work hard, and your roll rate actually allows you to scissors effectively even with turnfighters like the Yak-15 and Spit XIV.  I could see how a turn build could be VERY nasty, but I see this plane, at this point, needing a serious speed build.  It is painfully slow.  Not as slow as a Yak-15, but slow.

Captain_Underpants53 #3 Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:16 PM

Major

• 43690 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS
It doesn't seem to have a very big health pool.         :)
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

ItsSubmersible #4 Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:40 PM

• 5402 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 12 January 2022 - 07:16 AM, said:

It doesn't seem to have a very big health pool.         :)

True, but it is not the easiest thing to hit if you keep it moving around.

CorvusCorvax #5 Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:09 AM

Colonel

• 6638 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostItsSubmersible, on 12 January 2022 - 12:40 PM, said:

True, but it is not the easiest thing to hit if you keep it moving around.

The roll rate is outstanding.  And there is the weird thing where the lock-on with the AI turret for bombers is poor inside about 300m.  You can get inside that range and just hover there.  And the long overheat on the cannons means that you can put very long bursts into planes.

Yes, the HP pool is low.  But if you keep your wits, you can protect it.  Of course, keeping my wits is only half possible...

qu33kKC #6 Posted 13 January 2022 - 09:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17074 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 13 January 2022 - 01:09 AM, said:

Of course, keeping my wits is only half possible...

SNURK!

Interesting comment from one person flying the Pogo.  They said that head-ons were to be avoided, due to the wing-tip mounting of the guns. 

I'm still working away at getting my own,   just thought I'd pass the comment along.

CorvusCorvax #7 Posted 13 January 2022 - 10:44 PM

Colonel

• 6638 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Postqu33kKC, on 13 January 2022 - 09:21 PM, said:

SNURK!

Interesting comment from one person flying the Pogo.  They said that head-ons were to be avoided, due to the wing-tip mounting of the guns. 

I'm still working away at getting my own,   just thought I'd pass the comment along.

Clarification:  flying head on with, or against?

ItsSubmersible #8 Posted 14 January 2022 - 12:08 AM

• 5402 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
The wing tip guns can be weird, it's easy to lose your orientation in it. 4 wings/tail surfaces all looking the same. I have been in a roll and not totally level and find the guns can get 'off' then. I try not to do headons anyways, but haven't had an issue when it happens.

hoom #9 Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:01 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 15302 battles

View PostItsSubmersible, on 14 January 2022 - 12:08 PM, said:

The wing tip guns can be weird, it's easy to lose your orientation in it. 4 wings/tail surfaces all looking the same. I have been in a roll and not totally level and find the guns can get 'off' then. I try not to do headons anyways, but haven't had an issue when it happens.

Yep, very easy to wind up not hitting anything if you get too close to your target because of the guns being on the wings or only have one pod hitting even at longer range.

Also yes easy to lose orientation.

In theory people who play with the artificial horizon enabled in GUI options should be able to use it to not get confused but I suspect most people actually use their planes for that which is why I have it off.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

CorvusCorvax #10 Posted 15 January 2022 - 02:08 AM

Colonel

• 6638 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Posthoom, on 15 January 2022 - 12:01 AM, said:

Yep, very easy to wind up not hitting anything if you get too close to your target because of the guns being on the wings or only have one pod hitting even at longer range.

Also yes easy to lose orientation.

In theory people who play with the artificial horizon enabled in GUI options should be able to use it to not get confused but I suspect most people actually use their planes for that which is why I have it off.

IIRC, I have the plane in 3rd person mode, so the horizon stays fixed.  If this game were an actual flight sim, I would pin the view to the pilot view orientation.  

But, due to external view weirdnesses, I prefer the 3rd-person view offered.  Cartoon arcade game played in cartoon arcade game mode, I guess.

ItsSubmersible #11 Posted 15 January 2022 - 02:45 AM

• 5402 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
I turned on the horizon just because of this plane. Don't really need it on anything else.

Dennez #12 Posted 15 January 2022 - 09:20 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1388 battles
  • [COD-] COD-

untill i get one im going to claim that the pogo is OP.

fix it weegee it needs a nerf. 

no one likes getting shot down by a flying x-mas tree.

just a man with a big rooster.

ItsSubmersible #13 Posted 15 January 2022 - 01:27 PM

• 5402 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

Nope, I think it is just about right. If they gave it more speed it would be borderline OP. I think they balanced this one pretty good.

BONUS: If you slam in to the ground, it really does look like a lawn dart!

Edited by ItsSubmersible, 15 January 2022 - 04:30 PM.

Genesect1 #14 Posted 19 January 2022 - 09:20 AM

Senior Airman

• 6274 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
ugly piece of garbage and a waste of time/pixels.  i have shot down many without much of a challenge in a lower tier fighter.  but don't expect much from a free/earned premium from wg these days...

Edited by Genesect1, 19 January 2022 - 09:27 AM.

Flushmaster #15 Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:00 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3703 battles
  • [T_E_S] T_E_S

View PostGenesect1, on 19 January 2022 - 04:20 AM, said:

ugly piece of garbage and a waste of time/pixels.  i have shot down many without much of a challenge in a lower tier fighter.  but don't expect much from a free/earned premium from wg these days...

I don't expect much from half the human pilots in this game. I'm reminded of that every time I see a Spitfire try to chase a P-38 or Me-410 into the upper atmosphere or an XF-90 try to turn fight anything. I've only flown my Pogo a few times and it isn't high priority to spec because I rarely fly light fighters but I've found that it performs pretty well. 

qu33kKC #16 Posted 19 January 2022 - 12:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17074 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Took mine out for a few yesterday.  Did OK with it, definitely some potential tricks available in it.  Had a couple of battles on the Norway maps, and those were a chore.  I don't know if its just me and my system, but I have real issues spotting things in the ground clutter on the Norway maps, and the oddball gun placement made it even harder to get on target.  I also had one tussle where I hit the pitch up to tighten my turn, and ended up nosing down into the turf.  Could have been orientated wrong, could have been goofy pitch mechanics due to the four wings.  I also really have a hard time telling when the flaps are down. 

Still, it's funky, its new, and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with it.

@Corvus a few comments up:  head-ons were to be avoided, due to the wide gun placements.  That was the gist of the comment.  Light fighters don't win headons against much of anything anyways!

jack_wdw #17 Posted 19 January 2022 - 12:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4681 battles
Haven't flown mine yet, but did encounter it several times the past weeks, mostly when flying my ThunderJet.
So far i wasn't impressed much by it.
At first i thought i had to avoid any turnfight with it at all time and use my superior speed to get away from it, eventually BnZ it...
But eventually got lured into a turnfight a couple of times, and actually could even outturn it with my F-84 (i guess because most pogo's are upgraded for speed).

This account is the family car, my other car is wack007@eu

Flushmaster #18 Posted 19 January 2022 - 06:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3703 battles
  • [T_E_S] T_E_S
I don't have any of the issues I've seen some people mention with getting confused about the orientation due to the rear cross section of the plane, but I play with a joystick and my view is always static relative to the plane itself. I'm always using the horizon as my reference point for my roll orientation and the X shape of the plane doesn't affect that. I can see how it could be confusing to those who are regularly viewing their plane from changing angles. 

WhoaBlackBetty #19 Posted 19 January 2022 - 06:34 PM

Captain

• 6997 battles
  • [A_C_E] A_C_E

I was told by a very good pilot last night that he stripped the Pogo, he was so disappointed in it.  Perhaps it will get a buff at some point.

WBB

De-arse your bunks! Man the planes! The Fokkers are in sight! BAM ba LAMMM!
J311yfish: " 'Seal clubbing' and 'head hunting' are an inseparable part of the competitive nature of the game, and both provide a valuable service."
This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by (guess who). View it anyway?

CorvusCorvax #20 Posted 19 January 2022 - 06:49 PM

Colonel

• 6638 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostWhoaBlackBetty, on 19 January 2022 - 06:34 PM, said:

I was told by a very good pilot last night that he stripped the Pogo, he was so disappointed in it.  Perhaps it will get a buff at some point.

WBB

It has some hidden talents that I am not getting the most of.

For one thing, this is not a horizontal turnfighter.  This plane is MUCH better in the vertical.  Another thing is the guns are very slow to overheat, and very quick to cool down.  This implies GOA when specialized, to increase the DPS.

I haven't decided on speed or turn build.  I am guessing I will try a hybrid style.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users