learn to use bot commands

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

12_inch_Hawk #1 Posted 05 January 2022 - 03:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 38913 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

The best way to learn to use bot commands is set up a training room by yourself.  The purpose of this exercise is to get the 11 bots on your team to win consistently against the 12 bots on the other team without you firing a single shot or interfering in any other way besides using bot commands.

The best plane to use for this exercise is a good AEWAC's plane (airborne  early warning and control).  Think of yourself as an E-2 Hawkeye or E-3 Sentry.  You want long detection range and high cruise speed.  The detection range is so you can see what is going on and the cruise speed is so you can get around the map to issue orders to the various bots.  Boosting or firing your guns will reduce your detection range and increase the range you are detected by the enemy so you want cruise speed not boost speed.

Examples of good AEWAC's planes in game are the BVP203 or Tu-1.  In the case of the BVP203 use the German girl as the pilot.  Her special skill dazzling star increases view range by 40%.  Cruise flight will give you another 20%.  Vigilance on the gunner will give you another 10%..  Ultimate navigational radio equipment when fully calibrated will give you 14.6% plus another 10% as a bonus.  With everything that is 94.6% increase to detection range.  In other words it will almost double.  

Pinging the map does nothing.  I will say it again for those in the back; PINGING THE MAP DOES NOTHING!  Pinging the map is for when you are in a flight and you want to communicate something to your flight mate.  BOTS DO NOT RESPOND TO PINGING THE MAP!  I'm using capitals to emphasize this point because noobs that aren't flighted ping the map incessantly and it is annoying.  It is distracting and provides no useful information.  Some people use it to say this is where I'm going PING! even though it clearly says "attention to" in the chat when you do it.  Some people use it to say this is where I'm not going so you should go over here PING!  Without any context it is useless so should only ever be used when you are in a flight  and on coms.

When you issue a bot command using the F keys 1 and only 1 bot will respond with an affirmative in the chat.  It is usually the closest bot that can execute that order.  A bomber or GA bot will never reply to orders to defend a sector, cover somebody or attack an enemy aircraft.  That bot will follow that order until distracted by something else in its algorithm like being engaged by an enemy.  For example if an enemy is chasing one of your bots and your bots algorithm is to run away than using the command to attack the enemy bot is useless.  Your bot that is being chased is the closest so will be the one to respond and it will say affirmative but since it is being engaged it will continue to run away instead of turning around.  It would be better to use the cover command to tell another bot to save the bot being chased in that case.

While in the training room play with the different commands.  Take note of what bot responds in the chat and what they do.  Once you understand how they work you can start stringing commands together.  For example at the beginning of the battle you say attack that sector and a bomber bot responds.  Than you can say cover that bomber and a heavy responds.  Than you can say cover that heavy and since it can't cover itself and the bomber can't cover anybody a third bot will follow along to the sector the bomber bot is attacking.  If you fly over to the other side of the group so as to not disrupt any of the 3 bots that are already doing what you want you can say requesting support and get a fourth bot to follow you.  You can drag him to the sector you sent the first three or you can drag him somewhere else. During the battle tell one of your bots to defend one of the important sectors.  If you see a bot defending a useless sector fly over to it and tell it to attack another sector or enemy that doesn't have any of your other bots closer to it.  Otherwise say requesting support and drag your bot somewhere useful than say attack.

When you can win consistently using nothing but bot commands you have successfully completed the exercise. 

12_inch_Hawk #2 Posted 05 January 2022 - 03:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 38913 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

*note* CONSISTATLY is the key word.  Running the exercise successfully once is meaningless.  All bots vs all bots you expect to win half the time anyway.

If you are unfamiliar with how bots behave on a specific map you may want to run through it once without issuing any commands to ensure you are actually changing their behavior.

Edited by 12_inch_Hawk, 05 January 2022 - 03:40 AM.

12_inch_Hawk #3 Posted 05 January 2022 - 03:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 38913 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

Other uses for bot commands in actual battles;

If you are defending a sector and bots keep "stealing your kills" tell them to F(fly) OFF by telling them to attack another sector or cover a plane out of sector.

If you want to drag out a battle to make more points tell your bots to defend useless sectors near your spawn point so they don't take sectors too fast.

If you have the situational awareness to keep track of what your bots are doing you can request support, fly to an enemy human that you can't quite match and tell the bot to attack that human.  You make an attack run on the human first and than as the human is trying to kill you your bot is on their tail.  Purposely fly in a manner that will give your bot a good shot on the enemy human.

If you hit the command to tell a bot to attack a human and you don't have a bot supporting you already fly towards the bot that says affirmative not away from it.

If you request support than fly away too fast that the bot can't keep up eventually it will give up when you get too far away.

Simply pressing bot commands when there is no bots nearby that can follow that command is useless.  

Bobby_Tables #4 Posted 05 January 2022 - 06:58 AM

First Lieutenant

• 15954 battles
  • [DIXX] DIXX

Thanks for this 12.

I admit, I will not try this out in training until the event is over as my time here is limited. But it did encourage me to use the bot commands more often and the results have been good.

Things like this not only help the newbies, but the veterans as well. I often fall back on old habits and welcome any "wake up calls" that get me out of my slumber.

Corsair4790805 #5 Posted 05 January 2022 - 07:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 3010 battles
  • [A_C_E] A_C_E

This is good stuff, Hawk.

I never thought of chaining commands for bots - that's a really great idea that I'll have to give a go when I get back in the skies in a few days.

I'm not consistent in using bot commands (about the only thing I'm consistent in is being a potato LOL), but I have found them useful when I remember to use them.

One thing I was thinking of when reading your overview is I think it's also important to be as aware of where your bots are as well, so that you don't inadvertently pull a bot doing something important for a less important task.   Thoughts?

pedro1_3 #6 Posted 05 January 2022 - 07:17 AM

Master Sergeant

• 3475 battles
  • [GAVCA] GAVCA

Good idea, will try it later on, but:

View Post12_inch_Hawk, on 05 January 2022 - 03:09 AM, said:

The best plane to use for this exercise is a good AEWAC's plane (airborne  early warning and control).  Think of yourself as an E-2 Hawkeye or E-3 Sentry.  You want long detection range and high cruise speed.  The detection range is so you can see what is going on and the cruise speed is so you can get around the map to issue orders to the various bots.  Boosting or firing your guns will reduce your detection range and increase the range you are detected by the enemy so you want cruise speed not boost speed.

The blue bold part made me go to https://blog.worldofwarplanes.com/mechanics/visibilty-system-20/ to verify if it is correct, and it might be?

There is noting saying that boosting and using the guns affect view range, but it does affect camo, but since this is old it can have changed, so other than addecting the camo rating we can't say it affects anything else in the vision system.

jack_wdw #7 Posted 05 January 2022 - 09:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4681 battles
Make sure you have some situational bot-awareness before giving bot commands.
Your commands can make a bot go away from its current sector (where it might be doing something useful);
I have seen people giving the 'attack 2nd plant' command, while all their GAA and Bombers were still over the other plant.
This command made one of the GAA to disengage the attack on the current plant and it reverted its course (cpt slow) to the other side of the map.

Edited by jack_wdw, 05 January 2022 - 09:56 AM.

This account is the family car, my other car is wack007@eu

12_inch_Hawk #8 Posted 05 January 2022 - 12:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 38913 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View Postpedro1_3, on 05 January 2022 - 02:17 AM, said:

Good idea, will try it later on, but:

The blue bold part made me go to https://blog.worldofwarplanes.com/mechanics/visibilty-system-20/ to verify if it is correct, and it might be?

There is noting saying that boosting and using the guns affect view range, but it does affect camo, but since this is old it can have changed, so other than addecting the camo rating we can't say it affects anything else in the vision system.

That is where I got my info and you are right.  It has been awhile since I looked at it.  The line should read Boosting or firing your guns will  increase the range you are detected by the enemy so you want cruise speed not boost speed.  the point is to detect the enemy without them detecting you and boosting or firing your guns is counterproductive to that.

TeamTerrence #9 Posted 05 January 2022 - 01:06 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6 battles
  • [SS-G2] SS-G2

https://www.youtube....h?v=d4JBFPFDEUo

12_inch_Hawk #10 Posted 05 January 2022 - 01:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 38913 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostCorsair4790805, on 05 January 2022 - 02:04 AM, said:

This is good stuff, Hawk.

One thing I was thinking of when reading your overview is I think it's also important to be as aware of where your bots are as well, so that you don't inadvertently pull a bot doing something important for a less important task.   Thoughts?

View Postjack_wdw, on 05 January 2022 - 04:53 AM, said:

Make sure you have some situational bot-awareness before giving bot commands.
Your commands can make a bot go away from its current sector (where it might be doing something useful);
I have seen people giving the 'attack 2nd plant' command, while all their GAA and Bombers were still over the other plant.
This command made one of the GAA to disengage the attack on the current plant and it reverted its course (cpt slow) to the other side of the map.

Situational-awareness is my favorite word because it is always the most important skill a pilot (or player) can have.

To be successful in the AEWC's role, it is the same OODA loop (Observe, Options, Decide, Act) that makes you successful in a 1 vs 1 dogfight.  I do it without thinking so I didn't even think to mention it.  Observe what your bots are doing.  Ask what Options you have.  Decide what you want your bots to do.  Act to issue a bot command or issue no command to allow them to continue doing what they are doing.  Than you are right back to observe to see if they are actually doing what you want them to do.  Continue going through the OODA loop until the battle is over.

Edited by 12_inch_Hawk, 05 January 2022 - 01:45 PM.

vuuduu #11 Posted 05 January 2022 - 01:49 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 10298 battles
  • [FK] FK
I've done some of the dumb stuff you mention here, and wasn't even aware the rest existed. This is a lot for a 62yr old chemically altered brain to remember lol, while being constantly shot at, but I'm gonna give it a go. Thanks for the info.
...look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky...

CorvusCorvax #12 Posted 05 January 2022 - 04:06 PM

Colonel

• 7305 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Postvuuduu, on 05 January 2022 - 01:49 PM, said:

I've done some of the dumb stuff you mention here, and wasn't even aware the rest existed. This is a lot for a 62yr old chemically altered brain to remember lol, while being constantly shot at, but I'm gonna give it a go. Thanks for the info.

Add to that the fact that you have other human team mates who distract the bots you've assigned to go do dumb stuff, and pretty soon you just facepalm and carry on doing your thing.

Sometimes it works out - you can stack bots to defend a high-priority target.  The most I've ever gotten to stay in one place is three MRF and an HF at a Mining Plant.  They did a credible job against two bot bombers and two bot GAA, allowing me to do LF stuff.

But that is the only time I remember the bots actually doing what I told them AND being reasonably competent at it.  It took some time to set up as well, because there's proximity, availability, and time limit between commands - AND hoping that your other humans don't distract the bots with their own commands.  And, during that time, you have to not actively be engaged in your own fight.

The Tu-1, with it's own special Radar Nav Equipment, is fantastic at doing the AWACS thing.

I might not be King of the Hill, but I am the Prince of Potatoes.

TheDuckOfDeath_ #13 Posted 05 January 2022 - 04:28 PM

Master Sergeant

• 10326 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Excellent post Hawk, thanks for sharing.

Dennez #14 Posted 05 January 2022 - 10:20 PM

• 2176 battles
  • [GOM] GOM

mr.hawk i dont know what to say other than- thank you-.

you have been my go to guy on the forum since my second week of playing.

all the stuff youve posted here on the forum is gold.

i encourage all new pilots to go back and read all of hawks stuff.

you are my worldofwarplanes guru sir. i have alot of respect for your knowledge of the game.:honoring:

just a man with a big rooster.

Silvin #15 Posted 06 January 2022 - 05:04 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5361 battles
  • [SF] SF

Excellent post Hawk!

I only use F2 so I should definitely try this exercise once I give up grinding the holiday event.

My 100 tier 10 vehicles

WoT (28): Sheridan, M48A5 Patton, M60, T110E5, T57, T110E4, E 50 M, E 100, Maus, Jagdpanzer E 100, G.W. E 100, T-100 LT, Object 140, IS-7, Object 277, ST-II, Centurion AX, Super Conqueror, AMX 13 105, EBR 105, Batignolles-Châtillon 25 t, AMX 50 B, AMX 50 Foch B, AMX 50 Foch (155), B.C. 155 58, 60TP, Strv 103B, Progetto 65

WoWP (21): F-84F, F-86A, F7U, XF-90, Yak-30, Mig-15bis, La-15, I-215, IL-40P, Su-10, Me P.1101, Fw 252, BV P.215.02, Me 262 III, Me P.1102 B, EF 131, J7W3, Ki-162-III, Swift, Hunter, Javelin

WoWS (51): Shimakaze, Harugumo, Zao, Yoshino, Yamato, Hakuryu, Gearing, Des Moines, Worcester, Puerto Rico, Salem, Montana, Vermont, Ohio, Midway, FDR, Khabarovsk, Grozovoi, Moskva, A. Nevsky, Petropavlovsk, Stalingrad, Smolensk, Kremlin, Slava, Z-52, Elbing, Hindenburg, Großer Kurfürst, M. Richthofen, Max Immelman, Daring, Minotaur, Goliath, Conqueror, Thunderer, Audacious, Marceau, Kléber, Henri IV, Colbert, République, Bourgogne, Venezia, Napoli, C. Colombo, YueYang, Halland, Småland, Gouden Leeuw, Vampire II

Master_Cylinder #16 Posted 06 January 2022 - 09:01 AM

• 200 battles
  • [FK] FK
personally I do not use the keyboard, instead I use voice commands that way I only use the keyboard for thrust, brakes & flaps.  Every once in a great while I will use the rudder keys to allow the gunner to shoot down a plane.

Dennez #17 Posted 08 January 2022 - 12:42 PM

• 2176 battles
  • [GOM] GOM

been trying my best with your advice and it does seem to work like you say,but still sometimes the bots dont follow commands.

im getting better at directing bots day by day thanks to mr.hawk.:honoring: how does one get this topic pinned in the newcomers section?

just a man with a big rooster.

2bdeyes #18 Posted 25 February 2022 - 08:57 PM

Senior Airman

• 9244 battles
Sorry for the ignorance but this all sounds like gobbly goo to me. I've heard people talk about bots but never really understood what their purpose really was or even what they are. I see red and I try to shoot it - that's all I know. I don't use a headset or whatever, in fact I usually listen to music when playing. I guess I'll keep getting botted around! Thanks for the info. tho - take care all.

PatStadderr #19 Posted 08 June 2022 - 08:57 PM

Senior Airman

• 134 battles
  • [FTR] FTR
Good information,I had no clue.

RoIand #20 Posted 08 June 2022 - 09:24 PM

• 6467 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostPatStadderr, on 08 June 2022 - 09:57 PM, said:

Good information,I had no clue.

Welcome to this forum! :great:

You are a very talented new player.

You've only been on the team for one day, you haven't lost a single game, and you're averaging almost 15 kills with your three planes.

It's been a long time since we've been able to meet such a promising newcomer here on the forum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users