suggestions for planes that a brand new pilot would like to fly

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

trikke #1 Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:25 PM

Major

• 6772 battles
  • [CWM] CWM

Piccalow is a great friend and a great pilot    and a great grandfather!   (i don't mean he's a great grandfather, he's like maybe 50  oOo)

but not the best decider on what planes a new pilot would enjoy       sorry, K

his granddaughter is being groomed for wowp, he's started an alt account for her    and he's grinding planes for her

i'm not going to tell you what nations/lines he's working on      because that might embarrass him

while i would certainly enjoy embarrassing him...   no question there        i just don't want to sway the jury

what particular planes would you recommend for his pre-teen granddaughter?        show your work, please

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore     

#smarterpilotscanpostpics

Blaster_63 #2 Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:14 PM

Master Sergeant

• 3501 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I think I had the most fun going up the Bf 109 line, at least through the F.  Lots of firepower, even with the He 112.

Second choice would be the Zero line, (I had to teach myself not to overheat the guns, though.)  Very turny and fun in a furball.

I also liked the German Heavies, at least through the 410.  Very good firepower and speed.

Captain_Underpants53 #3 Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:55 PM

Major

• 42625 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS
The Blenny bomber for Tier 3 and the He-111 H-2 for Tier 4.  Flown high they don't get blasted so often.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Four_Leaf_Tayback #4 Posted 25 November 2021 - 12:30 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 352 battles

At lower T2/T3 any plane that has three or more guns facing forward, or at least one cannon facing forward.

For example, the Hawk 75M has amazing armament for tier and lets you blast planes out of the sky which is fun and entertaining.

I think for a new and younger player, more fun would be found in blasting planes than dropping bombs (sorry Capt.).

Call me Bobby

J311yfish #5 Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6512 battles
  • [343] 343

I would recommend starting with U.K. fighters because they are good all-rounders.  That lets them experience the game, build some confidence, and develop their playstyle -- will they trade in the Spitfire for greater climb/dive?  greater turn rate?  bombs/rockets?  There are also many U.K. premium fighters to help them along.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

Buddha_13 #6 Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:58 AM

Master Sergeant

• 3842 battles
  • [BSSF] BSSF

For a brand new pilot, just fly the freebie Tier 1 multiroles.  When I first started, I don't even know that different nationalities could be on the same team.  I think my 1st plane was the British one, and I was avoiding shooting all UK planes, and shooting at all the other nationalities.

Just play and understand the WoWP mechanism 1st.  Then at higher tiers, she would decide the plane type she wants to fly in.

The UK tech line is good, though personally I like the 109 line the most.  Anyway, I have so many premiums that I don't even have time for them, so the only tech line I went down was the 109 series.  Yes, Spitfires have a good long line too.

12_inch_Hawk #7 Posted 25 November 2021 - 02:29 AM

• 35476 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

I think grinding planes for her is a mistake.  The grind is how you learn to play.  Plus at tier 1 and 2 if you do particularly poorly (less than 3k points) you get an all bot battle.  If he grinds past that for her she will miss out.  If he grinds all the way to tier 8 or higher for her than we got a noob in high tier annoying her team mates.  Probably not the comments a pre teen girl should be getting.  New players should stick to low tiers to learn the game.  

That being said the lines SHE should grind I would also recommend the tier 5 spitfire.  It is good at everything but not great at anything so it is a total noob plane.  I would call it the quintessential noob plane.  New players tend to not do well at the extremes of speed or maneuverability. The spitfire is right in the middle so it is very intuitive and easy to use.  It is very forgiving of mistakes.  It can chase heavies up for a time and turn with turn fighters for a time.  The counter argument is that it can teach bad habits because those aren't the things she should do.  The tier 4 Bf 109B is kind of the same when set up to turn.  As she gets better she can swap out the equipment for pure speed and learn how to boom and zoom.  Fw 57 is good for learning how to use heavy fighters.  The tier 4 Blenhiem and tier 4 hurricane are good for learning how to hit both ground targets and aerial targets to get Gabreski medals.  The Lagg-3(34) is the absolute king when it comes to getting Goblev medals at low tier. Underpants gave some good examples of planes to start out in with bombers.  The Russian GA line is probably the best for GA missions but the Elfimov is elusive until you get to higher tiers.  Ground pounders are probably better for learning what ground targets are worth over bombers.  They are slower and can get a good up close look at the targets without cloud cover blocking her view.  The mix of bombs and rockets teaches how to best manage ordinance to get the most ground targets possible for a given load out in the quickest most efficient manner.   

With just those planes it should be possible to get 14 out of 15 daily token medals (all but the Effimov).  If she cant get her daily medals and the tokens with those planes there is no point moving up the tiers yet.  Getting tokens from daily medals will help her avoid the sucker trap of racing up the tiers to do daily missions.  She can get a new hangar slot every 1-2 days which is far faster than she should be moving up with the time it takes to build equipment to build the next plane or the free xp to research the modules.  

Edited by 12_inch_Hawk, 25 November 2021 - 02:38 AM.

pedro1_3 #8 Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:41 AM

Senior Airman

• 2542 battles
  • [GAVCA] GAVCA

My recomendations are the following:

Fighters: Bf 109(He 112), Spitfire.

Multiroles: Huricane.

Heavys: Fw-57.

GAA: Il-2, Me 265(Me410).

I can't recomend bombers, because I'm not good at them.

Captain_Underpants53 #9 Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:53 AM

Major

• 42625 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS

View PostBuddha_13, on 24 November 2021 - 08:58 PM, said:

For a brand new pilot, just fly the freebie Tier 1 multiroles.  When I first started, I don't even know that different nationalities could be on the same team.  I think my 1st plane was the British one, and I was avoiding shooting all UK planes, and shooting at all the other nationalities.

Just play and understand the WoWP mechanism 1st.  Then at higher tiers, she would decide the plane type she wants to fly in.

The UK tech line is good, though personally I like the 109 line the most.  Anyway, I have so many premiums that I don't even have time for them, so the only tech line I went down was the 109 series.  Yes, Spitfires have a good long line too.

Good advice!  I flew for 2 or 3 months before I realized that you had to assign those skill points my planes were carrying.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Sink_Stuff #10 Posted 25 November 2021 - 04:58 AM

• 3469 battles
like Hawk says NONE. This is because you don't play for someone else. This is especially true for someone of a different age and sex. Sorry, but if she doesn't have the gumption to make her own account and grind her own planes then you are wasting your time and hers. 

CorvusCorvax #11 Posted 25 November 2021 - 05:14 AM

Colonel

• 6415 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Posttrikke, on 24 November 2021 - 08:25 PM, said:

what particular planes would you recommend for his pre-teen granddaughter?        show your work, please

As has been said already, the Spitfire line - because there really is not a noob-friendlier line in the game.  And as also been said, stick to T4 and below for a while - it'll give a chance to gain experience and silver and pilot points in a reasonably friendly circumstance.  Once she can regularly farm tokens in T4, then she'll know which lines to climb on her own.

gerr22 #12 Posted 25 November 2021 - 12:25 PM

• 7454 battles
  • [SS-G1] SS-G1
this is not for Piccalow it s TRIKKE he wants to learn to fly proper lol

CorvusCorvax #13 Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:31 PM

Colonel

• 6415 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Postgerr22, on 25 November 2021 - 12:25 PM, said:

I LOLd out loud.

trikke #14 Posted 25 November 2021 - 04:04 PM

Major

• 6772 battles
  • [CWM] CWM

View Postgerr22, on 25 November 2021 - 07:25 AM, said:

yep, i'm 'asking for a friend'    lol

absolutely the Spit line... great advice, Greg

fw-57 for sure       one GA, just to try it      i loved the Eule      and one bomber, just to try it, too      i also vote Blennie

whenever i show wowp to a house guest, i fly iconic USA planes and the Spit l       just because i read the room

this is a tough one       so few adolescent girls have an affinity for 80 yr old planes from a war so long ago       or any planes from any war       or anything at all

and without K to show her the complexities of this game, she wouldn't have a chance      

don't know her, but adolescent boys would be the first choice for girl games       K, tell her there's a ton of boys that play this 

K is the nicest guy that ever lived      i never met either of my grandfathers, both died before i was born      if i had a choice, i would choose K to be my grandfather

Dennez #15 Posted 26 November 2021 - 09:37 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 860 battles
  • [COD-] COD-

View PostSink_Stuff, on 25 November 2021 - 04:58 AM, said:

like Hawk says NONE. This is because you don't play for someone else. This is especially true for someone of a different age and sex. Sorry, but if she doesn't have the gumption to make her own account and grind her own planes then you are wasting your time and hers. 

yep.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

me myself,i only let my grandkids play the training flight room.

i dont think theres anyone that plays this game under 25 so watch who she chats with.

the ar65 & ar68 are great tier 1 & 2 planes

and also the ao192

a great tier 2  first premium is the xp-31

trikke u forced me to +1 you

Edited by Dennez, 26 November 2021 - 11:23 PM.

just a man with a big chicken.

trikke #16 Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:06 PM

Major

• 6772 battles
  • [CWM] CWM

great post, Dennez

bi-planes might look as ancient to her as a Conestoga wagon does to us

the xp-31 is a perfect starter plane   

and the T3 i fly during SNL RtR, the FW-5something     it looks just like a Cessna 152, but with bigger guns!    minus the legs

remember to tell her why the wheels were retracted      i think it was modesty?

Edited by trikke, 26 November 2021 - 10:06 PM.

Grogg_ #17 Posted 26 November 2021 - 11:29 PM

Senior Airman

• 65 battles

If I can throw in 2 cents, I got the XP31 and Fw 56 Stosser out of crates and they are both fun and super easy to play. So is the P.38, again out of a crate. 

The Ao192 I found tough. It's hard to have the guns on target long enough to bag a kill. Totally different play style with the bombs. Not saying it's bad by any stretch, just for a kid could be frustrating, or a fun challenge, to play something that can't turn.

The Blenheim bomber was fun, with a 20 second reload. The He 111 is too, but with a minute reload more sedate. 

Dennez #18 Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 860 battles
  • [COD-] COD-

View PostGrogg_, on 26 November 2021 - 11:29 PM, said:

If I can throw in 2 cents, I got the XP31 and Fw 56 Stosser out of crates and they are both fun and super easy to play. So is the P.38, again out of a crate. 

The Ao192 I found tough. It's hard to have the guns on target long enough to bag a kill. Totally different play style with the bombs. Not saying it's bad by any stretch, just for a kid could be frustrating, or a fun challenge, to play something that can't turn.

The Blenheim bomber was fun, with a 20 second reload. The He 111 is too, but with a minute reload more sedate. 

the ao192 is a great 1st heavy,if you cant do well in ao192- heavy fighters probably aint your thing.

i agree on the blenheim,its the first bomber i actually did ok in and i suck with all my bombers except the blenheim

Edited by Dennez, 28 November 2021 - 02:50 PM.

just a man with a big chicken.

Grogg_ #19 Posted 29 November 2021 - 06:38 AM

Senior Airman

• 65 battles

View PostDennez, on 28 November 2021 - 02:47 PM, said:

the ao192 is a great 1st heavy,if you cant do well in ao192- heavy fighters probably aint your thing.

i agree on the blenheim,its the first bomber i actually did ok in and i suck with all my bombers except the blenheim

I don't mean to imply it's a bad plane, just it plays different, and for a child just turning and chasing might be more acceptable. 

crzyhawk #20 Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 7561 battles
  • [3D_MI] 3D_MI

View PostJ311yfish, on 24 November 2021 - 08:27 PM, said:

I would recommend starting with U.K. fighters because they are good all-rounders.  That lets them experience the game, build some confidence, and develop their playstyle -- will they trade in the Spitfire for greater climb/dive?  greater turn rate?  bombs/rockets?  There are also many U.K. premium fighters to help them along.

100% all of this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users