Sometimes, I'm The Donkey

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Trauglodyte #1 Posted 22 November 2021 - 12:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3802 battles

I'm a competitive person.  I hate losing and only somewhat accept it, when I'm outplayed by better players.  That being said, I'm not above making stupid mistakes - we all do it.  Anyway, I recently bought the Junkers Ju 287.  I've had it, for about it a week, but hadn't played it.  Last night, I decided to take it out, for my last game of the day.  I get the (imo) awful map, Northern Bridgehead (btw, that map absolutely sucks, for GAA, due to how small and tight those bases are).  I'm cruising around and enjoying the speed and dropping bombs.  I was absolutely amazed at the reload speed of 30 seconds and thought, "No WONDER 287s and EFs are so amazing at capping!"  I finish that game, with an unfortunate loss, and I look at the end plate only to see a pretty piddly score of like 6k personal points.  I had already raged a bit, about some beautiful drops that just RNGed into nothing and grumbled about how my thousand KG bombs seemed to be just completely wasted...

....then I got back into the garage, looked at my modules, and realized that I was 100% stock.  I could have sworn, that I used free XP to upgrade everything.  Nope!  I was in pure base mode rocking it like a super donkey.

Happy early Thanksgiving!

losttwo #2 Posted 22 November 2021 - 12:36 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 13520 battles
  • [SS-G1] SS-G1

Even a donkey got a dragon

Posted Image

RoIand #3 Posted 22 November 2021 - 01:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5299 battles
It sometimes happens to me, when I dust off airplanes after a long time and fly them again, that the blue ammunition is no longer there. The ammunition slot is simply empty, even though I have always equipped all aircraft with blue ammunition and the check mark for automatic refilling is always set.
Of course I always start the game with emptying the cache at the same time. 

Most of the players are just mediocre. It's good to be part of the majority and by now I don't want anything else.

trikke #4 Posted 22 November 2021 - 01:56 PM

Major

• 6717 battles
  • [CWM] CWM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 22 November 2021 - 07:29 AM, said:

"No WONDER 287s and EFs are so amazing at capping!"  

not me       seriously considering mothballing the EF      fully/completely/totally upped, i still average 8k     

just two weeks ago, i noticed that i was dropping everything too soon       today i had a 13k, so obviously the stupid thing had heard me talking crap about it

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore     

#smarterpilotscanpostpics

CorvusCorvax #5 Posted 22 November 2021 - 03:08 PM

Colonel

• 6394 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

There have been plenty of times I have just YOLO'd somewhere just because I wanted to.

I once was super-competitive about video games, too.  Then I realized that too many factors were out of my control - that even if I played perfect every single battle, I'd still only have a mid-to-upper-60s win rate.  Banging my head against the wall, when I draw team mates below 40% WR (how on this Earth do you get a T9 German GAA with that kind of win rate???) and draw maps in a LF that are really not suited for LF play...

Well, raging against it all is not helpful or healthy, so I just said "eff it", and unless I have a flight mate counting on me to perform, I just play per how I feel at the time. Knowing how to maximize the performance of a plane for the full battle is nice, but I am not going to bust my huevos doing it. 

The downside is that every so often, a maximum-effort battle gets you a win when everything looked lost at the outset.  But those don't happen often enough for me to not YOLO when I'm not feeling like giving my all for 40% WR folks. 

But let me put it this way - if you were on my team, I'd try harder.  If some other folks were on my team, I might YOLO more.  ;)

tdave1953 #6 Posted 22 November 2021 - 03:22 PM

Master Sergeant

• 6139 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
My donkey moment is forgetting to make sure the correct pilot is back in the aircraft they're supposed to be in. I move them about to premium planes for training. End up wondering why the plane is sluggish and armaments are ineffective. Afterwards I realize what I had done. Duh... And I've done this a number of times! On the other hand I now have +4 skills to apply to a pilot I hadn't been using :D...

Edited by tdave1953, 22 November 2021 - 03:22 PM.

Trauglodyte #7 Posted 22 November 2021 - 03:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3802 battles

View Posttdave1953, on 22 November 2021 - 03:22 PM, said:

My donkey moment is forgetting to make sure the correct pilot is back in the aircraft they're supposed to be in. I move them about to premium planes for training. End up wondering why the plane is sluggish and armaments are ineffective. Afterwards I realize what I had done. Duh... And I've done this a number of times! On the other hand I now have +4 skills to apply to a pilot I hadn't been using :D...

That was the other part of my donkeyness.  I had forgotten to retrain my crew.  So, on top of being stock, I also had a 75% crew, from the Ju 288 C.  I completely shat the bed, on that one.

ElkjinxFTP #8 Posted 22 November 2021 - 04:16 PM

Airman Basic

• 1342 battles

Things I have noticed about Trauglodyte:

1 Reasonable and even humble in the forums

2 Salty in game

Leaning towards liking you sir.

cobra_marksman #9 Posted 22 November 2021 - 05:03 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 12870 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View Posttrikke, on 22 November 2021 - 08:56 AM, said:

not me       seriously considering mothballing the EF      fully/completely/totally upped, i still average 8k     

just two weeks ago, i noticed that i was dropping everything too soon       today i had a 13k, so obviously the stupid thing had heard me talking crap about it

Both German tier 9 and 10 are my best bombers.:medal:

They both carry ( 4 ) 1000lbs. bombs and have one of the fastest reload speed.:honoring:

It can bomb effectively at 8 to 9k alt., which keeps it away from most fighters in the game.

Bombing the biggest and best targets on the map is what it was made to do.

After you drop your load, move on to the next biggest target base, land allow your team clean up.( unless your the onlly one their )

Between attacking bases spend time in the gunner seat to protect yourself, and supply support for your team.

Last thing....when bombing , pull back on your throttle to bullseye your target better.:great:

Sink_Stuff #10 Posted 23 November 2021 - 04:40 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 3469 battles

Well then here is my advice for you and anyone who hates losing. 

1. Don't focus on winning. 

Here is the reality. No one is perfect. Everyone sucks as some things. So, just like at your real job at work you focus on just doing it well. Did you do the best you could? Then leave it at that. Instead of focusing on winning you focus on getting better and learning more. 

2. Bail from the certain losses. 

Now if you do number in this list correctly then you shouldn't have to worry about bailing right? Just do your best no matter what? The problem here though is that when the game is basically rigged against you then you are just wasting your time and it doesn't matter if you did your best. Essentially, you are prevented from ever doing your best. This will only frustrate you on the certain losses and it's better to simply bail from them. Only once in ten bails did the game actually win when I wasn't there. That's a 90% success rate on judging the game right off the bat. You could say I am causing the outcome when i bail, but it doesn't matter. If I feel the game is so stacked against me that it isn't worth wasting my time then I need to bail because I woln't do my best at all anyway. 

3. Play when most other people aren't and don't play tier 10. 

Playing with morons is never fun. If there was a bot only game mode in this game I would never play with another human being in this game ever again. So, I play often late at night, after most people are gone. That's when I can have fun. 

4. Do something else with your time

If you focus on winning then you are not going to have fun in this game a lot of the time. Do something else. I grill BBQ, I sew, I just bought a Kitchenaid mixer so I can learn pastry. I cook. Learning these things will always put a smile on your face and give you a good feeling of accomplishment. You can do things for other people and you can always be proud of what you have learned. The game, well, you are only ever going to play this game to your regular abilities. You are not going to pour into it. You do this for fun, not a job. So leave it there. Just play for fun. If you arn't having it bail from the game. Play at a different time. Forget your win rate. This game means nothing. Learning to cook a lasagna, strudel, chili, or BBQ ribs, or sew your own cloths, or make stained glass (I also did for 2 years) to an excellent level is 10,000 times more satisfying than this game ever will be. Get some real life hobby skills. That's what is actually satisfying. 

Edited by Sink_Stuff, 23 November 2021 - 04:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users