Do the bots pay any attention to the yellow dots you place on the map?

bots yellow dots

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Captain_Underpants53 #1 Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:25 AM

Colonel

• 49862 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS

I think the answer is no but I have no proof.  It does seem like a very common belief with new guys so maybe I am wrong.

You can always tell you got that noob on your team because he clickety-clicks the map like he's trying to paint it yellow.

The F keys work (sometimes) but I don't think the bots respond to clicking everything.  If they did it would just confuse them even more than usual.

I just had a guy on my team clicking every base on a five base map.  This was at Tier X!  All he succeeded in doing was confusing me as to his intentions.  But he did have a whopping 47% win rate.  I knew I was in trouble right from the jump.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

CorvusCorvax #2 Posted 14 October 2021 - 03:13 AM

Colonel

• 7627 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
The answer is no.
I might not be King of the Hill, but I am the Prince of Potatoes.

losttwo #3 Posted 14 October 2021 - 04:13 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 13712 battles
  • [SS-G1] SS-G1

Before the countdown ends to battle start. NO  NO and NO No and No

After the battle starts : Clicking the map, my thoughts would be NO

DO bots respond to the F keys. YES but only if they are in range of you

What that range is I am not exactly sure. 

I have never taken the time to measure the distance. 

You also have to be careful with the F key commands. 

The closest or 2 closest bots will accept the last command you entered. 

Occasionally you can get a bot to " cover you " and a second bot to " attack sector " 

But you have to watch closely because sometimes the " cover " bot will " attack sector " instead of having a secondary bot. 

12_inch_Hawk #4 Posted 14 October 2021 - 04:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 39729 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

no.  the only purpose "attention to map sector" serves is when playing in a flight.  While on coms I can ping the map to tell my wing man where to go or tell him an enemy of interest is here, ping.  Usually that means human but it could be a red bot GA if he has a mission for GA kills.  The main thing is that we are on coms so I am telling him why I am pinging the map.  The reason it is a separate function than the f keys is so I can tell my wing man to go left with a ping, tell the bots to go middle with the F keys and than go right myself.   That's just one example.  Maybe I want to tell him where the bot GA's are for his mission but I don't want the bots to take his GA kills.  There is a lot you can use it for but it is always in a flight and it should be while on coms or at the very least have a prearranged reason for pinging with your wing man if not on coms. 

There is one reason to use it when playing solo.  If you would like to tell the other humans on your team that you are a noob and have no idea what you are doing than pinging the map helps them know not to count on you.  

Edited by 12_inch_Hawk, 14 October 2021 - 04:22 AM.

Captain_Underpants53 #5 Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:55 AM

Colonel

• 49862 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS
I do like to use it if another player on my team is in a bomber or GAA so they know it might be a waste for them to go there too.  But also if there is a heavy on my team they might like to cover me (not likely) for the win.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Dru83 #6 Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:20 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6189 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Captain, that's the problem with both the pinging and the F keys. I never know if the other guy is saying I want you to attack over here or if they're saying hey, I'm going here, you should go somewhere else. Or maybe they're trying to say, hey let's send the bots here and we'll attack over there. I think both pinging and the F keys are pretty much useless for communicating with humans unless you're typing or on voice comms as well.

The funniest one for me is when you're in a bomber or GA and the other guy is pinging a blue base like he wants someone to defend it even though it's just you and him on your team.

losttwo #7 Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:28 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 13712 battles
  • [SS-G1] SS-G1

View PostDru83, on 14 October 2021 - 05:20 AM, said:

Captain, that's the problem with both the pinging and the F keys. I never know if the other guy is saying I want you to attack over here or if they're saying hey, I'm going here, you should go somewhere else. Or maybe they're trying to say, hey let's send the bots here and we'll attack over there. I think both pinging and the F keys are pretty much useless for communicating with humans unless you're typing or on voice comms as well.

The funniest one for me is when you're in a bomber or GA and the other guy is pinging a blue base like he wants someone to defend it even though it's just you and him on your team.

Even funnier are the ones complaining about the lack of team work. 

from the other side of the map attacking a Mining plant in a light fighter

While you are attacking a military base

qu33kKC #8 Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:24 AM

First Lieutenant

• 20670 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

@Cap&P, I bet I can guess who that ping-ping-pinger was.

On the rare occasions where there are other humans in blue in ground-pounders, I will usually just say "I'm going here" or ask them where they are headed, hoping to avoid duplication of effort.  Doesn't work most times.   I darn near got teamkilled yesterday by a joker in a SU-10 who went after a CC instead of the Plant in the other direction.  I figured any human bomber is going to be headed for a Plant, so I'd GAA somewhere else.  :facepalm:

Master_Cylinder #9 Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:19 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 200 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 14 October 2021 - 02:25 AM, said:

I think the answer is no but I have no proof.  It does seem like a very common belief with new guys so maybe I am wrong.

You can always tell you got that noob on your team because he clickety-clicks the map like he's trying to paint it yellow.

The F keys work (sometimes) but I don't think the bots respond to clicking everything.  If they did it would just confuse them even more than usual.

I just had a guy on my team clicking every base on a five base map.  This was at Tier X!  All he succeeded in doing was confusing me as to his intentions.  But he did have a whopping 47% win rate.  I knew I was in trouble right from the jump.

I needed to chime in here... ... ...

According to a conversation with Blindfold and I quot " Marking a Sector and Marking the Map are the same when it comes to bot response"

Also in another conversation Blindfold said that camouflage on a plane has the same end effect no matter if you fly on the deck or at 10K feet.

In both cases I disagree.  As I fly on the deck all the time and not one bot within their gun range comes after me. Now I understand that part of that is due to the fact that they are usually at 3K or higher and I am below 500 feet or lower.

Back to the original question... I have yet to see a bot respond to a map marker but they always do with a sector mark.  Also, in addition to, if you are in a GA or Bomber never ever mark a sector instead ask for support.  With the support request you will usually get all three types of fighters to respond, when you mark the sector you will most likely get a GA or Bomber responding which is not good for your sections of ground targets destroyed. 

Now let us talk about marking planes, when you mark with a pilot you get a bot to respond about 50% of the time when you do it with a gunner they respond 100% of the time.

just my thoughts

Thorondar #10 Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7838 battles
  • [DIXX] DIXX
When I encounter to noob-spam-the-map-player I will always hit the F "negative" key to annoy them.

Dennez #11 Posted 05 November 2021 - 11:54 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2340 battles
  • [GOM] GOM

well i was told recently ingame that pinging the map does nothing but yell "IM A NOOB"

actual words were---pinging does nothin dumba&$

i will never ping again. i promise.

just a man with a big rooster.

trikke #12 Posted 06 November 2021 - 04:05 PM

Major

• 6810 battles
  • [CWM] CWM

View PostMaster_Cylinder, on 14 October 2021 - 01:19 PM, said:

Now let us talk about marking planes, when you mark with a pilot you get a bot to respond about 50% of the time when you do it with a gunner they respond 100% of the time.

just my thoughts

so... why do your bots only respond 50% of the time?        i'm at a solid 100%, whenever i mark a plane from the cockpit 

i tip my servers, cheapskate     lol        or did i misread your sentence?

edit:   you meant because we don't see a response at the bottom left of the screen?       ah

Edited by trikke, 06 November 2021 - 04:09 PM.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore     

#smarterpilotscanpostpics

jack_wdw #13 Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4681 battles
Don't know if this is relevant to this topic, but here it is:

I had a battle today (alpine map, 2 CC's, center airfield and one Garrison).
our team started north (very close to a CC, but all other caps were south)
I was flying a P-47B.
I F2'ed the CC that was near our spawn point at the start of the battle.
I saw a lot of our planes going there, so I took the liberty of going straight to the garrison. And pressed F3 - in the meantime, to have some bot- cover.
I solo-capped the Garrison (killed two heavy ADA's + 1GT), before our team could cap the CC in the north. By then, the reds already capped their CC, so i pressed F2 to attack their CC...
(I also press F4 when i see a red target that's almost dead and some blue bot is very near that target.)

At that time one of 3 humans in my team got extremely pissed. He texted in-game  that i should rather fight instead of pinging all the time, and when i ping to attack a cap, at least i should attack that cap,...
Anyway, he called me Mr.PingPing for the rest of the game
Since i was very short to the southern CC, i started capping that CC, but i didn't get any support and died (chased by a p--51D out of cap, pressed F7 to no avail)
ATM the red CC-cap was only 1/4 red anymore...
In the meantime, the airfield had also been capped by our team blue...
He said i'd rather had to destroy the red bomber-stream (which was heading for our garrison) instead of pinging the map all the time.
According to him, I should also rather defend more caps instead of attacking caps.
In the end, red bombers took the garisson, our bombers finished off their CC. Our team won (already superiority before 400 pts) quite easily.

He ended with a HOS and 14k points in his P-38J, i got 3 chevrons and 8K in my P-47B,...
He called me n00b before he left and that concluded this battle.

No my question is: Do you guys consider F-commands the same as pinging (i never point with my mouse 'attention to this area', i only use F-commands)? And do you consider someone giving F-commands as annoying?
When F2 is pressed to attack a cap, do you guys expect that the one who issued this F2, will also follow through and attack that cap?
Should i have joined him in capping that first sector? (i deliberately went to the garrison, because there were just too much blue going to that cc cap, and because its pretty close to go next to their cc)
This account is the family car, my other car is wack007@eu

CorvusCorvax #14 Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:43 PM

Colonel

• 7627 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Postjack_wdw, on 25 November 2021 - 03:23 PM, said:

No my question is: Do you guys consider F-commands the same as pinging

I do not.

I ping once at the beginning of a battle to tell my guys where I'm going, and if I am flighted with someone, I ping to suggest a place we go next.  Otherwise I use the F-keys.

I think what you did in the battle was all very reasonable, other than trying to solo-cap the CC when you were at half-HP or so.  BUT, maybe your work helped delay them enough so that they forgot about the high-value CC and concentrated on the now-taken airfield? 

And the fact that the guy had a higher score doesn't mean anything.  Circling around a captured airfield shooting down bot MRF is not an indicator of talent or ability.

I use the F-keys about like you do, and not once has anyone ever griped about it.  I don't use the mouse to ping the map, really, so I've never heard anyone gripe about that, either.

As far as attacking the sector I F-keyed the bots to, not necessarily.  But the problem there is that the bots that were already going to that sector will reply, so you've gained nothing.  I will F3 a bot to follow me to go somewhere - about 50% of the time, it'll peel a bot off from whatever it's original mission was.  The rest of the time, I'll get a reply from a bot that was already going where I was going.  I'll use F4 when I get to the sector to assign a bot to a particular ADA - like one of the HF ADA, so I can attack the other one.

I am happy to allow the bots to cap garrisons by themselves, but I rarely trust them to take high-value targets on their own.  I once assigned bots to take a plant (I was in a light fighter) and I went to the other plant to try and disrupt red capture.  My shooting down of enemy planes in that plant capped it before my own bots had even taken the other one half way.  I had to fly all the way back to help cap the original plant.

The bots are almost worthless without babysitting, and sometimes even hurtful to your cause by getting shot down in-sector.  But F keys allow you to babysit them more effectively, IMO.

Edited by CorvusCorvax, 25 November 2021 - 04:29 PM.

I might not be King of the Hill, but I am the Prince of Potatoes.

Also tagged with bots, yellow, dots

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users