Something desperately needs to be done about the XP-54, it's ruining Tier V and VI

• Please log in to reply
523 replies to this topic

Poll: XP-54, bad for the game? (127 members have cast votes)

XP-54, bad for the game?

1. Yes (52 votes [40.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.94%

2. No (64 votes [50.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.39%

3. I don't know (11 votes [8.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.66%

XP-54 owners, do you think it is overpowered?

1. It's overpowered (30 votes [23.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.62%

2. It's not overpowered (46 votes [36.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.22%

3. Haven't played it enough to say for sure either way (2 votes [1.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.57%

4. I don't own an XP-54 (49 votes [38.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.58%

Non-XP-54-owning players, do you think it is overpowered?

1. It's overpowered (40 votes [31.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.50%

2. It's not overpowered (30 votes [23.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.62%

3. I haven't faced it enough to say for sure either way (7 votes [5.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.51%

4. I own an XP-54 (50 votes [39.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

legoboy0401 #1 Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:30 PM

First Lieutenant

• 3130 battles

How to explain what's wrong with the XP-54, hmm. Well, let's start with what ISN'T wrong with the XP-54:

What isn't wrong with the XP-54:

• It's somewhat fragile
  • its energy retention isn't that great

Yes, that's it.

EVERYTHING ELSE is wrong with the XP-54, namely:

• Against fighters, your only chance is to delete them in a head-on, which you're more than capable of forcing, and their only chance is to dodge, and if they do, you're toast. But that's super easy, barely an inconvenience, since your 37s don't fire shells, but homing missiles with ABSURD autoaim, ensuring you almost NEVER miss.

• Against multiroles, it's a little bit more dangerous, because some multiroles have rockets, and multiroles tend to have more firepower than fighters, but usually you still can get away with deleting them in a head-on.

• Against other heavies, your speed is more than adequate, and you outturn basically all of them. So Tier V and VI Heavies that aren't another XP-54 are toast, they have no chance at all whatsoever.

• Against GAAs, well, homing/radar-guided 37s and insane turning ability for a heavy fighter dispatches them insanely quickly.

• Against Bombers, ditto.

This plane has MICROSCOPIC weaknesses. A good player with it will wreck every other Tier V and VI plane EASILY.

A nerf is wanted, a nerf is needed, an nerf is imperative.

Discuss.

Edited by legoboy0401, 13 June 2021 - 08:31 PM.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

Cenotaph #2 Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3307 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR
Ehh... I've already seen several competent pilots say it's nothing special to fly against... especially with Me 410s and Ki-102s in the mix
I don't want to hurt you... I just want to kill you!

Corsair4790805 #3 Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 3499 battles
  • [A_C_E] A_C_E

I'm around 3-5 against human driven XP-54s, and 3 of those Ls came at the hands of a clan mate who routinely smacks me around :)

I haven't found it to be particularly scary.   It's something to watch for, but it doesn't terrify me like some other planes in the game when they show up on the red team.

_Bazinga__ #4 Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:55 PM

Master Sergeant

• 7812 battles

Had a game vs 2 gooses. 1 Specced.

I was downtiered in my Emil.

Killed both together in the same cap.

And then several times in the battle.

We won.

Yes i have the replay. I think is not needed... 

They are great, they are easy to play. They are not invincible. 

(Killed lots of them with p38f, beuV, mig3,  tornado, p39n, xp55, ki102, p38j, eeetc)

Captain_Rownd #5 Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:01 AM

First Lieutenant

• 4862 battles

View PostJu4mpi, on 13 June 2021 - 01:55 PM, said:

Had a game vs 2 gooses. 1 Specced.

I was downtiered in my Emil.

Killed both together in the same cap.

So you used the most OP plane in the game to take out other slightly less OP planes, LOL.  You're evaluating the players, not the plane.  

Favorites:

SPAD S.510 :: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: MiG-9 :: MiG-15 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: LaGG-3 (34) :: Me 329 

teeaichsee #6 Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:06 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9403 battles
  • [THC-] THC-

it seems like a real good plane but it def.aint overpowered and doesnt need a nurf.my f4f has no problem with them neither does my s199 or ascender.i dont feel the swoose is all that much of a threat,now the pilot flying it makes all the difference.my f4f took a couple already with head ons by using my missles but will admit he got me too(mutually assured destruction)..what im tryin ta say here is,if it aint a threat for a f4f it def.isnt overpowered.but i still want one.there are other planes at tier 5-6-7 that do make me worry when i see them on the other team but not the swoose.i dont always win but i dont always lose either, same as any other plane i been against.

i vote no nurf

there are some human pilots that need to be nurfed tho.they are just too op and dangerous

Edited by teeaichsee, 14 June 2021 - 12:12 AM.

Zombie_Snuggles #7 Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:37 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1840 battles

It's very strong but easy to kill. That sounds strange to say but I feel it fits. And the best pilots are going to do really well in it. Duh, like all good planes, and the XP-54 is a really good plane. I don't think it should be nerfed because people paid real money for it, and I feel WG is responsible for what they release for sale not the customer. I've said this already so nothing new but you asked:)

I was just thinking about SpiritFoxMY's argument that it was to easy to play and then I heard PostalMonkey saying the same thing. I do get that argument but pilots are still going to have to play with good SA or this plane gets crippled and dead quick, so it's also easy to die in for newer pilots.

J311yfish #8 Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 8314 battles
  • [343] 343
Learn how to play against it and be thankful that the game has variety that requires you to learn and adapt.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War // History of World of Warplanes

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

teeaichsee #9 Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:13 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9403 battles
  • [THC-] THC-

View PostJ311yfish, on 13 June 2021 - 07:51 PM, said:

Learn how to play against it and be thankful that the game has variety that requires you to learn and adapt.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

short ,sweet and to the point.i love it.

SpiritFoxMY #10 Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:20 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7902 battles
  • [CWM] CWM

The key to the XP-54 is its opening moves - you need to survive its first two turns, after which you have a chance to engage it like you would a Ki-102 or P-38J. The really oppressive nature of the XP-54 are those opening moves. You cannot ignore an XP-54. If you give him the jump on you, you're dead. Much deader than even against an Me-410 and Ki-102 because the 410 only gets one pass before reset while the Ki-102 bleeds a lot of speed in its turns so in both cases you can dodge and reset the engagement. 

The XP-54 gets two firing windows - initial pass and reset. In a plane that kills 90% of its opposition in six hits or less, this is absolutely insane. Top that off with a massive autoaim bonus and you have a plane that you simply cannot safely ignore in a fight which always means something else has to be ignored instead which in turn messes up your combat priorities.

Once you get over this - the XP-54 isn't completely broken. Its strategic mobility is somewhat lacking and like the Ki-102 its fragile. It also suffers from having only one engine in the back so if you have to run... sometimes you can't because the guy on your tail has just broken your engine. As mentioned in other threads, its ability to dominate the vertical space is somewhat restricted because its climb is lacking and you still do depend on those two RNG guns in your nose so sometimes you just get trolled and they go whizzing by.

Also everything I've said about it only applies if you're in a 1v1 duel. I've had plenty of instances where I have a player dead to rights and his bots just descend on me like a ton of bricks because apparently bots like to tag team good players to save bad ones I suppose (whoever you were in that P-47N - you got lucky three times with your goddamn guardian angel bot).

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

SpiritFoxMY #11 Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:36 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7902 battles
  • [CWM] CWM

I guess what I'm arguing here is that:

a) The plane is overpowered, but probably not all that much more so than the Ki-102
b) The plane feels bad for the game because of its dominance in the hands of a vaguely competent pilot in the same way the Spitfire is. But its still a bit too early to declare it absolutely busted.

And I suppose c) would then be - since Wargaming isn't going to do anything about it for the foreseeable future (blindfold has said so), you can do your part by dominating in it so hard that it makes the plane's winrate spike like a goddamn middle finger on their stats and force them to fix it by making tier 5 - 7 so intolerable for players of all stripes that it becomes such an obvious deadzone that they HAVE to fix it.

Don't complain about the cancer - become the cancer. I mean - given the response on this forum of "oh I kill it all the time" (which IMO is a silly and shortsighted argument that ignores the bigger picture), arguing isn't going to do anything. So go forth and break tier 5 - 7 so hard that it makes everyone cry uncle.

Then you'll get the nerf. And it you don't, you'll have padded your stats to make it look real good on the HoF. Better than KSK20 and his period 1 shenanigans at any rate.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 14 June 2021 - 01:41 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

_Bazinga__ #12 Posted 14 June 2021 - 03:47 AM

Master Sergeant

• 7812 battles

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 14 June 2021 - 12:01 AM, said:

So you used the most OP plane in the game to take out other slightly less OP planes, LOL.  You're evaluating the players, not the plane.  

You can do it, keep reading one more sentence...

Then if you still need it i explain all the planes

12_inch_Hawk #13 Posted 14 June 2021 - 03:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 39588 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
Somebody need to hit you with a nerf bat....repeatedly,.....and hard,....and preferably with the nerf removed.  I thought you were done with this whining stuff.  If you want to whine about stuff being overpowered go on a chess forum and whine that the queen is too OP. Try ruining that game instead of this one.  It's part of the game and if you don't like it don't play.

losttwo #14 Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:14 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 13712 battles
  • [SS-G1] SS-G1

I rarely fly mine because I am always shooting them down

So tired of buying lemons from Wargaming

Azis_ #15 Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 5442 battles
  • [RBL_] RBL_

I think like all promoted new planes it has those advantages of the MM mainly and not having one not knowing how to attack it, or defend. If you fly that tier be ready for them and take an appropriate plane. I have been using the KI, the Mossy and the P47 and winning most of the encounters against them.

Just like many other fads, this too will pass and you will rarely see them in the skies IMO.

rblsquad.com                                                                                              Key vehicle - Bristol Beaufighter

vuuduu #16 Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:18 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 12188 battles
  • [FK] FK

Why is it that every time something fun to play comes along, there is inevitably someone screaming "take it awayyyy, make it stoppppp"?

Every bleeepin' time.

It dies kinda easy. It is not overly hard to kill when you aim at the right places. When I got mine, it reminded me of way back when, when this game was exceedingly fun to play. We're talkin' years ago.

For the most part, it reminds me of a slightly more agile Me-410. And even one of those can kill the Goose if you catch the guy while he's not paying attention. I would add to that it's best to obliterate him first pass, because if you don't, he will become pissed, and chase you all over. The Goose obviously turns better than the 410. But, that's the plane it most reminds me of.

They can be killed in most anything when circumstances allow and you use your own plane to all it's best advantages.

Please stop talking about castrating this plane. It was a lot of work to get. If I wanted to fly a DC-3 in battle, I would petition WG.

P.S. If you have a Me-109F, use one of those to kill it, or even an E will do the job, it just takes a bit longer.

Edited by vuuduu, 14 June 2021 - 04:20 AM.

...look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky...

_Bronze_ #17 Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:34 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 10 battles

All these DRACS coming out of the woodwork lately!

I'd apply...

vuuduu #18 Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:40 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 12188 battles
  • [FK] FK

View Post_Bronze_, on 13 June 2021 - 11:34 PM, said:

All these DRACS coming out of the woodwork lately!

I'd apply...

I probably shoulda stayed in the woodwork, but, I just love airplanes too much. It's my Dad's fault, really. His dad was a B-26 pilot in Europe in the latter part of the war. He told my Dad stuff, my Dad told me stuff, and I've just loved all things aviation ever since. Real airplanes, model airplanes, you name it. As long as it's an airplane, and it isn't crashing with me in it, I love 'em.

...look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky...

_Bronze_ #19 Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:46 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 10 battles

View Postvuuduu, on 13 June 2021 - 11:40 PM, said:

I probably shoulda stayed in the woodwork, but, I just love airplanes too much. It's my Dad's fault, really. His dad was a B-26 pilot in Europe in the latter part of the war. He told my Dad stuff, my Dad told me stuff, and I've just loved all things aviation ever since. Real airplanes, model airplanes, you name it. As long as it's an airplane, and it isn't crashing with me in it, I love 'em.

They should have recognized your 50k battle milestone, but they didn't...  Good to see you back vuuduu  (it's BZ by the way in case you didn't put 2+2 together)

legoboy0401 #20 Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:50 AM

First Lieutenant

• 3130 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 13 June 2021 - 05:36 PM, said:

I guess what I'm arguing here is that:

a) The plane is overpowered, but probably not all that much more so than the Ki-102
b) The plane feels bad for the game because of its dominance in the hands of a vaguely competent pilot in the same way the Spitfire is. But its still a bit too early to declare it absolutely busted.

And I suppose c) would then be - since Wargaming isn't going to do anything about it for the foreseeable future (blindfold has said so), you can do your part by dominating in it so hard that it makes the plane's winrate spike like a goddamn middle finger on their stats and force them to fix it by making tier 5 - 7 so intolerable for players of all stripes that it becomes such an obvious deadzone that they HAVE to fix it.

Don't complain about the cancer - become the cancer. I mean - given the response on this forum of "oh I kill it all the time" (which IMO is a silly and shortsighted argument that ignores the bigger picture), arguing isn't going to do anything. So go forth and break tier 5 - 7 so hard that it makes everyone cry uncle.

Then you'll get the nerf. And it you don't, you'll have padded your stats to make it look real good on the HoF. Better than KSK20 and his period 1 shenanigans at any rate.

Couple of things. First, I don’t have it. Second, are you saying that if you truly think something is OP, farm with it to the point that even WG can’t deny it needs a nerf? Players have been doing that with Spitfire Is, Ki-102s, Ju-287s, and EF-131s for a long time now, and they haven’t gotten nerfed.

An average player with an average goal: greatness, someday. Today, mediocrity will have to suffice. But no matter, I will always play to the best of my ability, and I will always strive to make the best of my ability just that little bit stronger and better.

#Failureisalwaysanoption

#Givingupneveris

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users