Gems and Lemons

good bad easy fun

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Leadlooser #1 Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:34 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 11127 battles

What planes have you flown and discarded only later to find them enjoyable?  Also, which planes are the least fun in your opinion?

Personally, the US P-38 was awkward, and there isn’t one in my hangar.  Savvy pilots mention this line as one of the better ones – grinding through this line was,… grinding, particularly as I hadn’t an idea about energy fighter gameplay.  As a ‘not bomber,’ the Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV, A-26B, and the Petlyakov Pe-2 M-82 seem more engaging = fun.

All planes are competitive in the reigns of competent pilots, but as a lesser, share your insights.  Tell us the diamonds and those destined for the rubbish bin.

ItsSubmersible #2 Posted 13 June 2021 - 12:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4409 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
I found the Ar197/Mig3 to be an absolute blast to play. Only thing 197 lacks is speed. The I210 is the bane of my existence. I swear it has nerf guns instead of 20mm cannons. Almost past it and it is GONE. I was reading all the posts on how difficult the Fw190 line can be. I actually like them! Just unlocked the 190d and am enjoying it. I like all the bombers, quirks and all. I like the Me line of Heavies but struggle with the UK line. Not bad enough to junk them, just need to learn how to use them better. In all , I can work with just about any of them and the i210 is the only one destined for the junk pile.

losttwo #3 Posted 13 June 2021 - 12:31 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 13391 battles
  • [SS-G1] SS-G1

That really is a hard call to make. 

It may be a conspiracy theory created with in my own realm of imagination. 

There are so many planes that I can fly on a particular day and score 0XP with a string of losses.

Then turn right around and dominate in the same plane on a different day. 

They just seem to be all based on either daily missions or special events. 

You need 200 ground target sections then fly a bomber and win most of the games. 

You do not need the ground targets for a mission then fly a bomber and lose every game. 

But I am sure it is just me and my hyper focused goals. 

It is all coincidence 

Captain_Rownd #4 Posted 13 June 2021 - 12:50 PM

First Lieutenant

• 4803 battles

View PostLeadlooser, on 13 June 2021 - 01:34 AM, said:

What planes have you flown and discarded only later to find them enjoyable? 

Pe-2 - it took a while to figure out how to get it to work.

Favorites:

SPAD S.510 :: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: MiG-9 :: MiG-15 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: LaGG-3 (34) :: Me 329 

J311yfish #5 Posted 13 June 2021 - 12:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6447 battles
  • [343] 343

First of all, it's all relative to what you have available in your hangar.  I think you mean, "If you had every aircraft in the hangar, which would you start to eliminate or sell, in order to be most productive with the limited time available?"

If THAT is your question, then the answer (for me) is -- certainly Miles M.20 at tier V, and more generally, almost everything tier IV and below because of the reduced payout.  However, the daily missions can counter-balance this natural tendency by requiring you to use aircraft of certain types, or incentivizing the play of certain nations (currently U.K. heavy fighters of all tiers).  So, I think selling the aircraft is short-sighted, unless there is some other compelling reason, such as hangar load times.  Also, the introduction of new pilots/abilities (such as Millie Elliot / Elliot Millie) or mission types may change your perspective further down the road.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

Captain_Underpants53 #6 Posted 13 June 2021 - 01:34 PM

Major

• 41518 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS
I find the B-17D and, to a lesser extent, the A-26B torture to fly.  I only fly them at all out of a sense of duty.  Duty to what, I have no idea.

Edited by Captain_Underpants53, 13 June 2021 - 09:59 PM.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

trikke #7 Posted 13 June 2021 - 01:35 PM

Major

• 6437 battles
  • [CWM] CWM

l do enjoy some low tier planes, but let's talk about my personal disappointments in mid and high tiers

Horten and Vampire...  couldn't hit anything in the Horten    and the Vampire should be dead easy, but isn't for me       both are dead to me now

almost all of the Yak line up, not even gonna        same for every Mustang except the twinstang B, cannot put anything down in that E

couldn't get the p-39Q to work, but did well in the N

hardly ever could finish off anything in the Goblin       complete waste of good USD for me      other pilots are phenomenal in it       Thorondar is the best

the Gustav      i love everything in the 109 line from the Bertha all the way to T10       the G...  nope

but the 209 v4 is my great secret disappointment        i laughed about it's shortcomings, but i secretly really wanted to click with that tiny b****

most heavies of all nations seem to fit my brain, as long as i don't turn      but i turn      almost every time      sometimes it works out

except the Goose      i see others do so well      i'm so jelly       i've had one good battle in it

the Tu-1 has paid for itself many times over      and has paid for many other planes as well      sniper guns shouldn't work for me, but that one is solid

i click off on any plane after a few attempts      there are just so many planes that do well for me...    why keep things around that don't bring you joy?

edit:   completely forgot about every nation's MR lines       thumbs down      why tack bombs on fighters?     except...  the Corsairs

Edited by trikke, 13 June 2021 - 01:42 PM.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore     

#smarterpilotscanpostpics

teeaichsee #8 Posted 13 June 2021 - 02:53 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6600 battles
  • [THC-] THC-
the whole republic line for me.i still like them, just liked them least,but i want that last jet in the line so grind away for me.    the f4f is my gem.with my p80a and sakeen tied for second.my fav, seal clubber is the spad.

Edited by teeaichsee, 13 June 2021 - 03:00 PM.

CorvusCorvax #9 Posted 13 June 2021 - 04:07 PM

Major

• 6183 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
A couple of planes I couldn't wait to be rid of: the I-210 and the F4F.  The planes that other folks don't like much, but that I seem to do OK in:  FW-190A-5, the Ta-183 and the XP-72.  I will admit to not caring much for the Mosquito, and I sold it to not have to buy a hangar slot.  Maybe someday I will rebuy it.  I am currently not liking the Hornet much either, but I will wait until Conquest Mode to see if I like it better.  Looking forward to U.K HFs with the Adens.  HFs with 30mm cannon are more my style.

SpiritFoxMY #10 Posted 13 June 2021 - 04:30 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7460 battles
  • [CWM] CWM

The P-38F would actually be one of those planes I came back for a second look. I played it fairly early on and found it... decent but not spectacular. It wasn't until a lot lot later that I came back to the P-38F. It was during the 2019 deadzone when there was no new content coming out and I was pretty bored. So I decided to pick a couple of planes to REALLY break tier 5 and 6 and on the recommendation of a few of the fine fellows over on Discord, I rebought the P-38F and discovered that when flown well, its virtually untouchable. Its just so absolutely stupidly dominant at tier 5 that there's little reason to play anything else unless you're on a mission. 

The Hornet is a one of my earliest "rethink" planes. I had a lot of issues with it when I first unlocked it - it was slow, lumbering and unmaneuverable and I just kept getting shredded in it. Then after a bit of theorycrafting with Reitousair, I decided to ditch the rockets and just keep the bombs... and to my amazement, this simple change turned the Hornet from a plane I absolutely despised into one of my go-to tier 7s. Its just such a versatile plane properly loaded out - with two 1000lb bombs, and a ton of horsepower behind it to back up its steady and reliable 20mms. Absolutely superb plane. It outruns Zwillings too as long as he doesn't have the advantage of a dive on you.

The Bf109F was a huge chore to learn. I hated it when I first flew it, I hated it when I dusted it off and tried again. It wasn't really until the Lightning vs Friedrich event that I learnt to appreciate this little machine. Its lack of firepower is chronic but by holding my fire until I'm within 300m, a lot of the issues with poor DPS disappears and I quickly learnt that with the proper skill setup, I could out-turn Spitfires while outclimbing Mustangs. The plane's performance is just so exceptional that its puny firepower is the only thing really holding it in check. I still don't fly it much but that's simply because it isn't a hard carry plane. But as a pure duelist and dogfighter? Accept no replacements.

As for planes I find a chore - the Ki-84, Ki-94-II, Yak-1, Yak-1M, Zero, Yak-15, Yak-19... all of these are really like pulling teeth. I'd rather get a root canal than fly any of these hunks of junk. They're slow, they're fragile, in 5 out of 7 of those the guns are garbage, either being too erratic (Ki-84, Ki-94-II) or just puny (Yaks) and they rely on your opponent basically being dumb enough to come down and play with you. I hate flying turnfighters in general and these things are the purest forms of turnfighter. Just a constant series of impotent screams as you crawl around unable to get anywhere fast enough or survive long enough to greatly affect 90% of the battles you get into.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Captain_Underpants53 #11 Posted 13 June 2021 - 04:50 PM

Major

• 41518 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS

View Posttrikke, on 13 June 2021 - 08:35 AM, said:

l do enjoy some low tier planes, but let's talk about my personal disappointments in mid and high tiers

Horten and Vampire...  couldn't hit anything in the Horten    and the Vampire should be dead easy, but isn't for me       both are dead to me now

almost all of the Yak line up, not even gonna        same for every Mustang except the twinstang B, cannot put anything down in that E

couldn't get the p-39Q to work, but did well in the N

hardly ever could finish off anything in the Goblin       complete waste of good USD for me      other pilots are phenomenal in it       Thorondar is the best

the Gustav      i love everything in the 109 line from the Bertha all the way to T10       the G...  nope

but the 209 v4 is my great secret disappointment        i laughed about it's shortcomings, but i secretly really wanted to click with that tiny b****

most heavies of all nations seem to fit my brain, as long as i don't turn      but i turn      almost every time      sometimes it works out

except the Goose      i see others do so well      i'm so jelly       i've had one good battle in it

the Tu-1 has paid for itself many times over      and has paid for many other planes as well      sniper guns shouldn't work for me, but that one is solid

i click off on any plane after a few attempts      there are just so many planes that do well for me...    why keep things around that don't bring you joy?

edit:   completely forgot about every nation's MR lines       thumbs down      why tack bombs on fighters?     except...  the Corsairs

You better hope yer wife don't accept this philosophy.

:hiding:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Viper_7242NC #12 Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18027 battles
  • [VIPR3] VIPR3
  1.  IL-2 ( I bought the IL-2 mod)
  2.  I-210 - no, no, no
  3.  Fw252 - Used tokens to specialize ( got it to halfway ), just to say it's special ( it ain't )
  4.  Bombers - Flew the Ju88A in the Flaming Hawk, a dang Bf-110 C derped me twice. No thanks
  5.  Won't comment on Premiums, they are what they are. M.20 got for free so there's that.
  6.  B-25 ( Oh wait we didn't get that ) really disappointing.
  7.  P-61 ( ditto )
  8.  B-29 ( ditto )
  9.  F6F Hellcat ( ditto )

So say we all.

Corsair4790805 #13 Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:16 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2366 battles
  • [A_C_E] A_C_E

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 13 June 2021 - 05:34 AM, said:

I find the B-52D and, to a lesser extent, the A-26B torture to fly.  I only fly them at all out of a sense of duty.  Duty to what, I have no idea.

Wait - so they are expanding the US bomber line and gave you a toy to test play with? :)

Captain_Underpants53 #14 Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:59 PM

Major

• 41518 battles
  • [94APS] 94APS

View PostCorsair4790805, on 13 June 2021 - 04:16 PM, said:

Wait - so they are expanding the US bomber line and gave you a toy to test play with? :)

LOL, fixed it.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

trikke #15 Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:20 AM

Major

• 6437 battles
  • [CWM] CWM

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 13 June 2021 - 12:30 PM, said:

The P-38F would actually be one of those planes I came back for a second look. I played it fairly early on and found it... decent but not spectacular. It wasn't until a lot lot later that I came back to the P-38F. It was during the 2019 deadzone when there was no new content coming out and I was pretty bored. So I decided to pick a couple of planes to REALLY break tier 5 and 6 and on the recommendation of a few of the fine fellows over on Discord, I rebought the P-38F and discovered that when flown well, its virtually untouchable. Its just so absolutely stupidly dominant at tier 5 that there's little reason to play anything else unless you're on a mission. 

The Hornet is a one of my earliest "rethink" planes. I had a lot of issues with it when I first unlocked it - it was slow, lumbering and unmaneuverable and I just kept getting shredded in it. Then after a bit of theorycrafting with Reitousair, I decided to ditch the rockets and just keep the bombs... and to my amazement, this simple change turned the Hornet from a plane I absolutely despised into one of my go-to tier 7s. Its just such a versatile plane properly loaded out - with two 1000lb bombs, and a ton of horsepower behind it to back up its steady and reliable 20mms. Absolutely superb plane. It outruns Zwillings too as long as he doesn't have the advantage of a dive on you.

The Bf109F was a huge chore to learn. I hated it when I first flew it, I hated it when I dusted it off and tried again. It wasn't really until the Lightning vs Friedrich event that I learnt to appreciate this little machine. Its lack of firepower is chronic but by holding my fire until I'm within 300m, a lot of the issues with poor DPS disappears and I quickly learnt that with the proper skill setup, I could out-turn Spitfires while outclimbing Mustangs. The plane's performance is just so exceptional that its puny firepower is the only thing really holding it in check. I still don't fly it much but that's simply because it isn't a hard carry plane. But as a pure duelist and dogfighter? Accept no replacements.

As for planes I find a chore - the Ki-84, Ki-94-II, Yak-1, Yak-1M, Zero, Yak-15, Yak-19... all of these are really like pulling teeth. I'd rather get a root canal than fly any of these hunks of junk. They're slow, they're fragile, in 5 out of 7 of those the guns are garbage, either being too erratic (Ki-84, Ki-94-II) or just puny (Yaks) and they rely on your opponent basically being dumb enough to come down and play with you. I hate flying turnfighters in general and these things are the purest forms of turnfighter. Just a constant series of impotent screams as you crawl around unable to get anywhere fast enough or survive long enough to greatly affect 90% of the battles you get into.

always enjoyed reading your posts     well-written and helpful     i can hear you saying those words now, in my brain     you write just like you talk

same with flighting with you      everything i know about this game came from you     ty, brother      outta plus ones       i owe you bunches

trikke #16 Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:24 AM

Major

• 6437 battles
  • [CWM] CWM

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 13 June 2021 - 12:50 PM, said:

You better hope yer wife don't accept this philosophy.

lol     i personally wouldn't bring that up around her, and you keep your dern mouth shut whenever we meet up 

jack_wdw #17 Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4669 battles
Rediscovering the lower tiers on EU:

I found out XP-44 and Hurricane IID are more fun then they used to be.
Also P-43 and LaGG-3 are way more fun than i remembered them (all flown during v1.x times)
I really hated those planes back then.

Captain_Rownd #18 Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:24 PM

First Lieutenant

• 4803 battles

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 13 June 2021 - 06:30 AM, said:

As for planes I find a chore - the Ki-84, Ki-94-II, Yak-1, Yak-1M, Zero, Yak-15, Yak-19... all of these are really like pulling teeth.

Wut on Earth did I just read?  :unsure:

Favorites:

SPAD S.510 :: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: MiG-9 :: MiG-15 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: LaGG-3 (34) :: Me 329 

CorvusCorvax #19 Posted 14 June 2021 - 03:03 PM

Major

• 6183 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 14 June 2021 - 01:24 PM, said:

Wut on Earth did I just read?  :unsure:

I actually agree with him.  The lack of speed just makes this old crow sad.  Once you've had a taste of getting around the map, it's hard not to go back for another fix.

Spinning at the central airbase killing bot MRF isn't fun.

Leadlooser #20 Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:45 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 11127 battles
It's great to see the diversity of opinion here.  The topic choice was specifically chosen to highlight the subjectivity of the World of Warplanes experience.  Your input is valued and appreciated.  Your triumph and suffering is an indicator of others' potential challenges and rewards.  Take it easy fliers!

Also tagged with good, bad, easy, fun

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users