Which Joystick Do You Use and Does World of Warplanes Nerf Planes?

Joystick

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Whistling_Death_ #1 Posted 29 May 2021 - 10:42 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2459 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

Hello everyone. :)

With world of tanks self-destructing by ruining artillery and H.E. rounds, thereby destroying many tanks that use large caliber guns and firing H.E. rounds, (which is easily over 100 tanks, like the KV-2 for example), and I'm also just sick to death of the constant nerfing/gutting of tanks, i.e. artillery, light scouting tanks, the Japanese heavy tank line, the AT 2, the AMX ELC bis, the VK 36.01 (P) being changed from a very good medium tank to a heavy tank, the KV-1S being moved from tier V to VI, the infestation of tier-rushing rookies causing chaos at higher tiers and causing loss after loss for their teammates, the hide-in-the-backers, etc, etc., etc,  I'm sick to death of spending a lot of time, effort and money too in developing a given tank, (or an entire class of tanks, like artillery), only to have them nerfed and my time, effort and money totally wasted. World of Tanks is committing suicide and I've just had it. Enough is enough.  This is the straw that is breaking the camel's back.  So I want to get back into World of Warplanes.  World of Tanks doesn't want to keep players, so fine, I'll come here instead.:)

Firstly, I hope World of Warplanes doesn't constantly nerf planes like World of Tanks nerfs tanks so frequently?

Secondly, I had to stop playing World of Warplanes last fall because my old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick finally bit the dust.  With this pandemic of fear, Logitech is having a difficult time getting this great joystick back in stock.  I have been waiting six months and they still don't have it in stock.   Yes, I'm aware it's available from other sources, but I refuse to be price-gouged by greedy, evil people asking $50+ for a $30 joystick from Logitech.  There's nothing wrong with a fair profit and I'm fine with that, but price-gouging I will not support.  I know I can use my keyboard, but it's not as effective and as intuitive as an honest to gosh joystick.

So does anyone here have a recommendation for a good joystick that is reasonably priced, or do you know of a source that is selling the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick for a fair price?

Thanks for any responses and have a super day! :)

Edited by Whistling_Death_, 30 May 2021 - 04:59 AM.

DrSinister #2 Posted 29 May 2021 - 11:12 PM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 128 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Unfortunately it looks like all the sticks are overpriced.  TM16000 was $50 now its $80.  Also finding a stick priced as the 3D Pro is hard to find that is not cheap and has compatibility issues.

HoujuuNue #3 Posted 29 May 2021 - 11:21 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11522 battles
  • [PZMOE] PZMOE
I got mine from Amazon.ca in February for $40 CAD ($33 USD). It's currently $50 CAD ($41.43 USD) with 2 left in stock

hoom #4 Posted 29 May 2021 - 11:46 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14204 battles

Mouse & keyboard here.

There hasn't been a lot of development last few years so not much opportunity for nerfs but one of the last big changes was nerfs to tailgunners.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Captain_Rownd #5 Posted 30 May 2021 - 12:15 AM

First Lieutenant

• 4803 battles

I use CH Products' Fighterstick USB and Pro Throttle USB.  Don't think they're expensive, but whatever they cost I was more concerned with quality and longevity, and these were recommended to me.  

Favorites:

SPAD S.510 :: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: MiG-9 :: MiG-15 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: LaGG-3 (34) :: Me 329 

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #6 Posted 30 May 2021 - 12:34 AM

Major

• 1565 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Posthoom, on 29 May 2021 - 06:46 PM, said:

Mouse & keyboard here.

There hasn't been a lot of development last few years so not much opportunity for nerfs but one of the last big changes was nerfs to tailgunners.

well yeh, for some people that's good...

me, I'm a paper and pencil kind of guy

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Captain_Rownd #7 Posted 30 May 2021 - 02:32 AM

First Lieutenant

• 4803 battles

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 29 May 2021 - 02:34 PM, said:

well yeh, for some people that's good...

me, I'm a paper and pencil kind of guy

I like those old school wargames with the dozens of little counters and hex maps

Favorites:

SPAD S.510 :: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: MiG-9 :: MiG-15 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: LaGG-3 (34) :: Me 329 

Corsair4790805 #8 Posted 30 May 2021 - 02:47 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2366 battles
  • [A_C_E] A_C_E

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 29 May 2021 - 06:32 PM, said:

I like those old school wargames with the dozens of little counters and hex maps

Me too.  Played a lot of those in HS and college.  Avalon Hill (long gone now) was king.

no_trace_of_sanity #9 Posted 30 May 2021 - 02:58 AM

Master Sergeant

• 6021 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
Sadly, given the condition of tech availability these days even if you find a 3-D-pro in stock it won't be for the original price range. I had to replace mine last year and even then pickings were scarce. Count on any that you find being closer to about double the price it was last year as that seems to be the trend. I made sure to buy 2 the last time i did so a spare is on hand. Good luck in your search.

12_inch_Hawk #10 Posted 30 May 2021 - 03:31 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 32807 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

Warplanes does nerf things from time to time but it is rare.  The community has been really good about making fun of people relentlessly who even suggest nerfing a plane or saying that a plane is too OP.  

As for joysticks I highly recommend not using one.  The physics in this game are NOT like a real plane and you can actually do more with a mouse.  I have the whole thrustmaster set with the joystick, throttle, and rudder pedals and don't use it for this game.  I tried but it just isn't as good.  Get yourself a good gaming mouse and maybe the throttle but not the joystick.  The throttle itself won't work in this game but the buttons on the throttle plus the buttons on the gaming mouse gives you a HOTAS setup so you don't need to use the keyboard. That is the setup I use.

Edited by 12_inch_Hawk, 30 May 2021 - 03:33 AM.

cddlbunny #11 Posted 30 May 2021 - 06:26 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3093 battles
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro here. Bought it cannot remember what year when I first started playing this game. Use the J2 key mainly for flaps in the higher end of the tech tree. While others think that it is not the best stick to use, I have kept it but do not use all the buttons on the body but the top ones mainly for bomber. While the J2 in sniper mode is good, it has to be used with enough lead to hit the target. But overall, I like it and will use it until it breaks.

Whistling_Death_ #12 Posted 30 May 2021 - 09:17 AM

Master Sergeant

• 2459 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

View Postcddlbunny, on 30 May 2021 - 06:26 AM, said:

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro here. Bought it cannot remember what year when I first started playing this game. Use the J2 key mainly for flaps in the higher end of the tech tree. While others think that it is not the best stick to use, I have kept it but do not use all the buttons on the body but the top ones mainly for bomber. While the J2 in sniper mode is good, it has to be used with enough lead to hit the target. But overall, I like it and will use it until it breaks.

I agree with you.  I am very familiar with this great joystick as I used it to reach the #1 ranking in the world in the skies of Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator.  It's very comfortable to use and is also very intuitive with all the buttons and controls within easy reach.

I wish I could get a straight answer from Logitech as to why they are having problems getting this joystick back in stock.  They tell me it's not discontinued, but I wait and wait.  I am guessing it probably has something to do with the pandemic of fear that's going on.  Our world is so messed up right now.  If not for video games to keep my mind occupied and off of the world news, I'd probably have lost my marbles long ago. lol  :)

Buddha_13 #13 Posted 30 May 2021 - 04:01 PM

Master Sergeant

• 3070 battles

When I switched over from mouse control to joystick, I've been using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro ever since till now.  I also the joystick top buttons for fire groupings.  But I find the speed toggle lever on that joystick awkward, so I still use "w" & "s" keyboard keys.

The joystick does drift maybe once a month so I need to switch computer ports in the middle of a game.

Buddha_13 #14 Posted 30 May 2021 - 04:09 PM

Master Sergeant

• 3070 battles

View PostCorsair4790805, on 29 May 2021 - 06:47 PM, said:

Me too.  Played a lot of those in HS and college.  Avalon Hill (long gone now) was king.

I still play boardgames...too bad all the hobby shops are gone...I went there every weekend to browse.  I still have Victory Games, AH...

I do find the 2 big remaining online firms, MMP & GMT, still making fine boardgames.

Sorry for posting non-WOWP stuff here.

crzyhawk #15 Posted 30 May 2021 - 04:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 7380 battles
  • [3D_MI] 3D_MI

View Post12_inch_Hawk, on 29 May 2021 - 10:31 PM, said:

Warplanes does nerf things from time to time but it is rare.  The community has been really good about making fun of people relentlessly who even suggest nerfing a plane or saying that a plane is too OP.  

As for joysticks I highly recommend not using one.  The physics in this game are NOT like a real plane and you can actually do more with a mouse.  I have the whole thrustmaster set with the joystick, throttle, and rudder pedals and don't use it for this game.  I tried but it just isn't as good.  Get yourself a good gaming mouse and maybe the throttle but not the joystick.  The throttle itself won't work in this game but the buttons on the throttle plus the buttons on the gaming mouse gives you a HOTAS setup so you don't need to use the keyboard. That is the setup I use.

^^

This is the way.

Thorondar #16 Posted 30 May 2021 - 08:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6469 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
Even though mouse and keyboard is the  way to go for better play, I prefer Joystick/throttle.  I started with the Logitech 3D Pro but they give out after about a year and I went through 2 of them.  I did use the mini throttle and all the buttons on the 3D pro.  The only time I went to the keyboard was for bot commands.  When my 2nd 3D pro shot craps, the prices started skyrocketing on them.  I went to my local Micro Center store and bought the Logitech X52 HOTAS.  Now I don't go to the keyboard except to hit Alt or Tab.  It is all a matter of personal preference.  If you ask a question and 20 different ppl answer...you will get 20 different answers.

trikke #17 Posted 31 May 2021 - 04:14 AM

Major

• 6178 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i had trouble 'looking over my shoulder' when i flew with a stick      went key/mouse and never looked back

actually, not looking back is my #1 problem still, so...

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

Also tagged with Joystick

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users