Mouse Control: follow a carrot on a stick ! no thx

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
127 replies to this topic

Slev #61 Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
It definitely feels like of all the possible mouse control we could have, we have the worst.

Terminatorder1 #62 Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Yeah, i hope there will change something because the controls are very different from all flightsimulations i ever played. The would be the first thing that the developers have to improve.

Edited by Terminatorder1, 02 September 2012 - 10:17 PM.

whitelighter66 #63 Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:31 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
The more I play the more I hate the COAS flight system, I can understand using the COAS to show your angle and help you gage the speed of your turn. However it shouldn't be the whole control system to the plane. It just doesn't feel right or even close to responsive enough. I agree with everyone saying the mouse should control the plane not the COAS.

SquadronROE #64 Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [SEAMN] SEAMN
It's weird. The more I play, the more I get used to the current system and the more I genuinely like it. I think I'm in the minority, but I'm finding that as I get used to it (which I'm okay with, considering I've always been terrible at flight games without using a joystick) I'm getting far better at piloting.

Now I'm up to Tier VI planes, having never touched a joystick for this game, and I really don't feel like I'm at an advantage/disadvantage whatsoever. I've never even touched the sensitivity options.

I do find the green line a little distracting, but I think the green Orb of Pointing is very helpful as I try to line up a gun run. If they were to change anything, I'd be happy with them adding that as an option to remove in the cockpit menu and adding a BF3 style flight system as another option.

xXThe_GodFatherXx #65 Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
It's almost like they thought the controls were too good in the alpha so they decided to nerf it in the beta :Smile_teethhappy:

Brasileirinho #66 Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I didn't like this system either. The plane should not fly to the cursor. In fact, there should be no cursor at all. The plane should move it's nose acordingly to your mouse position/speed, not increase speed when the mouse is farther away from your reticle.

Edited by Brasileirinho, 08 September 2012 - 02:19 PM.

JD595 #67 Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
http://forum.worldof...hx/page__st__40

steiljeds #68 Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:34 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostErazor, on 05 June 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

This game is unflyable with the mouse in it's current state.
Im a good pilot on BF3, and Im using the exact same configuration as BF3 for controls in WoWP but those planes are uncontrollable.
The weirdest thing is that green vector+dot. You dont control your plane, you make it follow a carrot on a stick which gives a terrible sensation of laggyness and unprecision.
I don't know who had this terrible idea but you need to get rid of that garbage, or at least give us the possibility of controlling our plane like in BF3 with the mouse.
We want our mouse to "be" the plane and respond to it's movement immediatly, not this horrible thing you invented.

im not flying again untill this is fixed.

+1 for this.

Mouse control is damn garbage

ATownGtr #69 Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
So tell us how you all feel about the mouse controls, lol.

I would have to agree after playing flight sims for the last 20 years that I have never seen controls like this before. I can't make a final judgement until I have had the chance to get a joystick for the game but the current mouse controls are a total distraction from the flying aspect of the game and even more so when it comes to combat.

Cosmas_Damian #70 Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:04 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 62 battles
My two cents: I'm having a terrible time getting used to the current mouse control system. It's counter-intuitive for me to constantly keep moving my mouse in order to follow a turning target. Instead of the "carrot-on-a-rubber-band" as it's been described, I'd like to see an optional mouse-configuration where the mouse behaves like a plane's control yoke (with the option to invert axes and with optional auto-rudder, as there is now).

My idea: Imagine a rectangle about 1/4 of the size of the screen, centered on your plane's firing reticle. The Mouse cursor's position within the rectangle would mirror the plane's yoke, determining the plane's pitch and roll (depending on how you have your x- and y- axis configured; inverted or not). The center of the box naturally would be the neutral position, with all elevators and ailerons level. We could even keep the current green circle-and-line direction indicator. If the cursor travels beyond the bounds of the box, the indicator remains at the box's extremes, but continues to follow the direction of the cursor. This would be equivalent to holding the yoke at the extremes of its range.
This would allow a pilot to go as crazy with the mouse as he wants while evading, while also permitting him to steer by keeping the cursor closer to the center of the screen for more precision while targeting.

Again, I'm not necessarily suggesting this completely replace the existing control system, only that it be an option, so that players can choose whether to guide their plane or to fly their plane. I am convinced that this sort of control-system would result in far less mouse movement, especially in having to pick up and re-center the mouse.

(Edit:) Also, I want to see Throttle (and therefore speed) separate from mouse operation, unless it could be controlled by the mouse's scroll-wheel.

Second Edit: I just re-posted this in a suggestion-for-mouse-control-changes poll topic: http://forum.worldof..._60#entry113006

Edited by Cosmas_Damian, 11 September 2012 - 03:31 AM.

Kaiten425 #71 Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 812 battles
  • [POLIS] POLIS

View Poststeiljeds, on 09 September 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

+1 for this.

Mouse control is damn garbage

I feel the same way about this but I know these things take time.  I think that some time tonight I might get my XBox pad out and tinker around with it and see if I can get out of it.

Keep up the good work all :)

Ghoullees #72 Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I'm a flight simmer and know I have been spoiled.  But at the same time, I enjoyed the arcade flying of BF3 with mouse and keyboard.

So far, the implentation of the mouse and keyboard in the Beta here just feels VERY wrong.  I've never been seasick, carsick, airsick or motion sick from playing games, IN MY LIFE.  But I come close with the mouse flying in WoWP.  Never experienced that before!  It's just WROOOOOOONNNNNNNGG.  :)

So far Joystick is giving me the best natural experience of 'flyability'.  So far though, controller response is way too slow and retarded to leave players feeling like they are flying with skill.... just dumb spray and pray luck so far.  Fingers crossed for future tweaking.

Suggestion:  Rather than the carrot on the stick, suggest designing the mouse to behave like a joystick...not a 'lead the green carrot over there' mechanism you currently use.  Instead, 'pull back' on the mouse and your plane moves up ( or invert the controls as per preference ).  This would be a more natural imput, and one familiar with 360 controller users as well.  Theoretically, this seems more logical to me.

Edited by Ghoullees, 11 September 2012 - 04:32 PM.

ATownGtr #73 Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostGhoullees, on 11 September 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

I've never been seasick, carsick, airsick or motion sick from playing games, IN MY LIFE.  But I come close with the mouse flying in WoWP.  

Exactly, I was wondering if it was just myself feeling that way. I have to zoom all the way out from the plane view or else I can't even play the game due to this. It's the constant back and forth of flying evasively mixed with the fixing of your moves do to over compensating with your adjustments. I imagine with hundreds of flight hours it may improve as you get used to it but I shouldn't have to eat Dramamine just to play the game without feeling sick afterwards.

imlost19 #74 Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 51 battles

View PostNoMoreChillies, on 11 June 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

My BF3 controls :
Mouse controls Yaw and Pitch (turns left / right and up / down)
A+D controls roll.
W+S control engine speed
Spacebar bound to pull nose up
Mouse buttons for shoot

Simple controls that are easy to learn and very effective.
Also the controls are client side, thus no delay after pressing fire and seeing my tracers.

I stopped reading at this.

Give me this.

please.

Ruivo #75 Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Just got into closed beta today. What is the main difference between Standard and Mouse 0.2.3? I noticed that the second scheme has less rubber banding. I agree that the current control scheme with the mouse needs to be improved upon, but i can't put my finger on whats wrong with it. It works very well in games such as Freelancer, however it is terrible in WoWP.

Helmut_Lent #76 Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I must agree with most of you, the mouse control is terrible. Sure, i didn't practice much yet (due to 12hr shifts atm), but especially in this game the controls should be easy to learn, not only for us more experienced gamers, but also for the casuals.
The game should be perfectly playable without extra hardware, lots of people want to play it during a break at work, or on trips where they can't plug in sticks or pads.    

PS.: love the smilies here :Smile_great:

Ozymandius #77 Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:06 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I support, every flight game i've played to date has the "BF2/3" controls,

ALL OF THEM.

My philosophy on this is "if it 'aint broke, don't fix".

holyterr0r #78 Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:10 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
yes these crappy mouse controls have to go its horrable please change this if not i sadly say i will not be playing this if it goes live like this world of tanks is great try to simplify the controls a bit more please.

t42592 #79 Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
My very first impression of the game controls was, "I need to visit the settings menu--before I make a post in the forums about this."  At first, I pushed all the sliders to medium, to which the sim was more responsive.  For giggles, I maxed out the sensitivity for both k/b and mouse, to which I am grateful I did--I have have almost as much responsiveness with them as I do with my stick.

As for the bounce, I'm guessing this has to do with the in-game vibrations of the aircraft closing on a target, be it in the air or ground.  Even with the sensitivity maxed, I can zero in, manage my sight picture well enough, that my shot-group hits what I'm targeting.

Axis decay and null zones aside, the in-game setting menu provides a wide array to adjust individual preferences.  However, I know some games that provide fewer options, and some with much more features, that considering what is available for WoWP, I'm satisfied with the control process.

ADDENDUM:

I would hate to see BF flight model introduced to WoWP, insofar as speed control.

View PostFist_NZ, on 02 September 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

I pretty much never play flight sims but do a lot of other gaming. Played WOWP for the first time over the week end. Controls were the number 1 thing I had to complain about. The bouncy rubber band like style of mouse controlls is very unussual and took ages to get used to, but even then it was hard to keep a steady bead on a plane once you get a lead with the crosshair. You end up bouncing aroudn like a frog on a dynomite pond.

I have not tried joystick controlls yet but it has to be better then the mouse. I can get hits consisstently on planes and manouvering is fine too but keeping crosshair on the enemy with mouse is very hard due to bounce.

View PostSlev, on 02 September 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

It definitely feels like of all the possible mouse control we could have, we have the worst.

View PostTerminatorder1, on 02 September 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

Yeah, i hope there will change something because the controls are very different from all flightsimulations i ever played. The would be the first thing that the developers have to improve.

Edited by t42592, 16 September 2012 - 03:54 AM.

Uninstalled World of Tanks, Warplanes, and Warships

Tridgit #80 Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [EP1] EP1
I'd like to add myself to the list of people in the 'hate plane chasing cursor' camp.

The first thing that immediately struck me is the lack of 'hard' control. sure u can concentrate on putting your cursor on a target, and your plane will eventually point directly at it. However that is not flying the plane, and its very very distracting an awkward for pilots comming from other sims.

The addition of an option to lock your mouse to the axis and remove the cursor chasing from mouse control will make this game a hit.

I saw earlier in this thread some guy posted about how he simply persisted and got used to the current mouse mechanic, and here is my rebuttal to you. Why would I invest my (limited) time fighting the controls of a game instead of having fun?

Of the three design pillars this game has  Combat and Camera. However immediately I'm thrown off and frustrated by Controls.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users