Mouse Control: follow a carrot on a stick ! no thx

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
127 replies to this topic

vondemon #41 Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
  • [8PANZ] 8PANZ
Yeah, I wouldn't personaly play this game without a joystick but I know people who simply never think to purchase one even though they're playing a fighter sim.  I agree with the suggestion to use the BF3 mouse/keyboard controls as a model for this game.  It keeps the barrier of entry lower for new players who don't want to invest in a joystick.

Bandet #42 Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Playing this game with a mouse reminds me of Freelancer.

And that is why I use a joystick instead.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

Eat_this #43 Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
As I am a semi good pilot in battlefield 1942, and a very good one in Star wars battlefront two, I say the controls should be like those games

Slev #44 Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I'm awful with a joystick but relatively good with a mouse and keyboard. I just want the nose of the plane locked to the mouse, like BF2/3.

Atypicality #45 Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 16 battles
I've been playing this game all day now, and I can't work out if the lag on the mouse control (and indeed the keyboard) is inherently related to the controls, as many people say, or mostly due to server latency?
I'm in Australia, and get around 250ms ping; so I'm aware there is obviously a lot of latency to deal with here - but just trying to work out where the line is.
I will try with my old gamepad later, see how that handles.

Slev #46 Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I have <60 ping always and feel as though I don't get any lag. Having flown fighters at pings ranging from 30 to 150 in BF3, there's definitely something to the slight lag in this. That, and the wonky keyboard controls that don't quite feel right.

Atypicality #47 Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:00 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 16 battles
Looks like I can't do better than 250ms... tried the gamepad, it seemed to skittish even with vastly reduced sensitivity.
I guess it's weird keyboard or buy a joystick :/

lincolnphay456 #48 Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Agreed, that's probably why I play Minecraft more, If it had BF3 plane controls I would be addicted. More than the best game to the world :Smile_smile: WG might even add this since we're beta testas and still in closed beta, and that carrot on a rubber band control doesn't allow me to even move when I have my ping 500+, so yeah 8)

Edited by lincolnphay456, 25 August 2012 - 02:05 PM.

SquadronROE #49 Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [SEAMN] SEAMN
Counter-point: As someone who always had a hard time flying aircraft in BF1942/2/whatever, I'm finding the flying in this game refreshing. I'm not having to drag my mouse all over the place, I don't have to break out my joystick and memorize a keyboard layout.. I can just hop on, lead my pilot around with a carrot on a stick, and shoot down some Capitalist Swine. I agree they should probably remove the deadzone from joystick controls, but keep at least the current mouse controls. I can do Immelmans, split-s, or just endlessly turn just fine.

MajorStoffer #50 Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:13 AM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 0 battles
Seems that recent patches improved sensitivity and reduced the input lag; I've become a much more proficient pilot using this current system.

I still can't say I'm a huge fan of it; yes, it allows you to do more complex maneuvers than other mouse and keyboard systems, but it remains rather impercise; easy to pull off all many of twist, turn, dive and roll with relative ease, but keeping your plane on track behind an enemy aircraft so you can pump shots in to them is still fiendishly difficult, even when they're flying straight and level.
Do Want:
A6M Zero | J2M Raiden | J7W2 Shinden-Kai | Me-262 | FW-190 | Yak-9 | MiG-17

whitelighter66 #51 Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostErazor, on 05 June 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

This game is unflyable with the mouse in it's current state.
Im a good pilot on BF3, and Im using the exact same configuration as BF3 for controls in WoWP but those planes are uncontrollable.
The weirdest thing is that green vector+dot. You dont control your plane, you make it follow a carrot on a stick which gives a terrible sensation of laggyness and unprecision.
I don't know who had this terrible idea but you need to get rid of that garbage, or at least give us the possibility of controlling our plane like in BF3 with the mouse.
We want our mouse to "be" the plane and respond to it's movement immediatly, not this horrible thing you invented.

im not flying again untill this is fixed.

I am using a mouse but instead of a mouse pad I am using a 3 foot squared ottoman.

Bremen68 #52 Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 1207 battles
  • [-TRP-] -TRP-
My joystick (may it RIP) gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago and I've been doing the keyboard/mouse combo to fly... Very painful.

The control for the mouse is sluggish, does not have a true response feel, and makes control extremely difficult.  When using the mouse the rubber band analogy is probably the best one.  And I have yet to get a consistant feel for what the plane will do depending on how I move the mouse.  It's more like you're coaxing the plane in a direction than actually flying it.

I won't say all of the folks who try this will use the mouse, but a large portion of your audience is going to be mouse enabled, and they are not gonna stick around long with the current control feel.

My suggestion is to get rid of the "follow the bouncing ball" concept and directly link the mouse in the same way a joystick would be.  Let the individual figure out their axis if a simple "move right/bank right" "move left/bank left" "move forwards/Dive" Move back/climb" concept doesn't work for them.

I consider myself a decent pilot when it comes to flight games, the mouse control on this is driving me to absolute distraction trying to get it to work.

Please examine alternative controls for the mouse before you go live.

"Insanity is only disturbing to those burdened with reality"

lt_jaeger #53 Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I'm a long time flight sim addict, used to fly with a thrustmaster combo. I sold this stuff after my kids were born and now try to master wowp with a mouse. theoreticly I know bfm and some tricks about energy management of ,especialy, prop planes, but flying with this mouse control I can't use this knowlege. I'm just chasing "the ball" to no avail. What to do to make it better... ?
I have no idea, but the current controll methode is a killer for me. No way a newbee can master this (in my opinion).

Edited by lt_jaeger, 28 August 2012 - 06:10 PM.

Tubbytron349 #54 Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:04 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I've played a good amount of flight sims and i'm good at them but this terrible feature was the first thing i noticed when i jumped into the tutorial. on other games im a great pilot but this thing makes the aircraft so hard to control and confuses me at times which leads to my demise in combat. makes me wonder if the dev team ever played a different flight game while making this one.

Edited by Tubbytron349, 29 August 2012 - 03:04 AM.

decca7 #55 Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Hey guys new here and checking in.

I find that green arrow absolutely makes it impossible to fly here by mouse (no stick here)
It makes me concentrate on it rather than anything else oh like planes, flying, etc.

Please tell me there is a way to turn it off.

Thanks for the beta invite !

Lackanookie #56 Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 22 battles
I concur the green arrow is distracting. It would be better if the nose of the plane is locked to the mouse this would be easier for people who prefer keyboard/mouse over joystick.
Problem or Inconvenience?

Balerioun #57 Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
i have Joystick and gamepad too, but i prefer using Mouse, Installing game now, curious to see how it works, been ages since decent simulator have come along!

Carlos280291 #58 Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Well i join yesterday and i spent a lot of time playing and if just matter of get use to it first time was enoyng but now i can get a few kills or at least criple a few planes.

Celes #59 Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I played played both War thunder and WoWP, and coming directly from War thunder and going into warplanes was quite disappointing, and the biggest problem being ofcourse the sad excuse for mouse controlls Warplanes currently has.
So I hope Wargaming can sneak into the War thunder beta and take a look how properly done mouse control should be/feel like.

Fist_NZ #60 Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [TAB] TAB
I pretty much never play flight sims but do a lot of other gaming. Played WOWP for the first time over the week end. Controls were the number 1 thing I had to complain about. The bouncy rubber band like style of mouse controlls is very unussual and took ages to get used to, but even then it was hard to keep a steady bead on a plane once you get a lead with the crosshair. You end up bouncing aroudn like a frog on a dynomite pond.

I have not tried joystick controlls yet but it has to be better then the mouse. I can get hits consisstently on planes and manouvering is fine too but keeping crosshair on the enemy with mouse is very hard due to bounce.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users