Mouse Control: follow a carrot on a stick ! no thx

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
127 replies to this topic

Erazor #1 Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 165 battles
This game is unflyable with the mouse in it's current state.
Im a good pilot on BF3, and Im using the exact same configuration as BF3 for controls in WoWP but those planes are uncontrollable.
The weirdest thing is that green vector+dot. You dont control your plane, you make it follow a carrot on a stick which gives a terrible sensation of laggyness and unprecision.
I don't know who had this terrible idea but you need to get rid of that garbage, or at least give us the possibility of controlling our plane like in BF3 with the mouse.
We want our mouse to "be" the plane and respond to it's movement immediatly, not this horrible thing you invented.

im not flying again untill this is fixed.

himat007 #2 Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:33 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [M4ACE] M4ACE
Agreed. I want the BF 2/3 controls!

NoMoreChillies #3 Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [AFD] AFD
agreed
I need BF3 controls, or cannot test this game

oversoul #4 Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:03 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
"Give me joystick control or give me death" --Thomas Paine zombie playing WoWp

Balddik #5 Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

Airman Basic

• Alpha tester
  • 8 battles
  • [-R-] -R-

View PostErazor, on 05 June 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

This game is unflyable with the mouse in it's current state.
Im a good pilot on BF3, and Im using the exact same configuration as BF3 for controls in WoWP but those planes are uncontrollable.
The weirdest thing is that green vector+dot. You dont control your plane, you make it follow a carrot on a stick which gives a terrible sensation of laggyness and unprecision.
I don't know who had this terrible idea but you need to get rid of that garbage, or at least give us the possibility of controlling our plane like in BF3 with the mouse.
We want our mouse to "be" the plane and respond to it's movement immediatly, not this horrible thing you invented.

im not flying again untill this is fixed.

More like a carrot on a rubber band. If it was carrot on a stick it would be much easier. Since the stick isnt elastic.

AurenNorizawa #6 Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:06 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I have to agree. Just joined closed beta today, and now that you point it out, it is -very- difficult to control. I have also tried it with a keyboard(shame on me, I don't have a joystick yet on this computer), but it feels unresponsive by half a second or so. It doesn't help that my rig is somewhat unsuited for WoWP, having only 10-14 frames at best, even on lowest custom settings.
We shall see how long it takes to get into WoWP
I actually don't remember, and I wasn't able to get into Alpha, but Closed Beta said "Okay!'
Yay~!

xunda #7 Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:55 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5 battles
  • [-I-I-] -I-I-
just a suggestion maybe add an option to remove the "carrot on a stick" in the game controls, or maybe an option to change its opacity.

also adding sensitivity setting for in the circle for finer ajustments to aim might help make flight a little easier for us keyboard and mouse users.

im finding it extremly difficult to get and stay on target even when its not moving e.g ground targets etc

Pirabee #8 Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [JG26] JG26
There seems to me a definite time-gap or lag between pressing the trigger on my MS Forcefeedback Joystick and the actual eruption of my guns. I'm always opening fire after the target has skidded far away from the cross-hairs. Then I dont think there's anything wrong about borrowing a good thing. The feel of flight in WoWP is definitely lacking as against air-war games such as IL-2 Sturmovik or Rise of Flight. Surely the devs here could re-tinker these even if it means copying the methods of those other games.

Pirabee (Beta-tester)

Galdor302 #9 Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1 battle
  • [BH_] BH_
I'm seeing suggestions about BF2/3 control with a mouse. Perhaps you guys could explain what it is as reading your posts I really don't understand what you are wanting to change the mouse controls to. Like a few other people flying in the beta (and maybe the developers) I don't have any experience with BF2/3.

I do feel that this game is more suited for a joystick, but a mouse will suffice if a person has patience and doesn't get into aggressive dogfights. One thing I will like to add, however, is that I find I enjoy using the mouse on ground attack missions as I can aim at the targets with extreme precision.

Erazor #10 Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 165 battles
So after raging quiet a lot on the mouse control as you can see on my original post on my first day of beta and my unability to fly properly with it, I tried pretty much all control schemes:

- I went trough the hell of configuring my Ps3 sysaxis gamepad with the game, thanks to Motionjoy freeware for allowing that by the way, but I didnt like it either, because the two small joystick on it lack some amplitude of movement and therefore, in my opinion lack of precision.
- Tried the full keyboard configuration with yaw+boost/flaps on WSAD and pitch+roll on Arrows, but I didnt like it either, lack of precision too.

So at this point it was either buy a joystick, but I dont want to spend money on something that will invade my desk that much, or try harder to masterize this weird mouse control.
Im at 162 games right now and I must say im starting to like it quiet a lot but it took me a good hundred games to start being competitive in dogfights with it.

So it's hard to master and even more if you''re used to BF3 mouse control style, but in the end it definetly has a major advantage over the classic "BF3" mouse control style, is that you don't have to replace your mouse on your desk after a 360° dogfight (where your mouse almost fell of the deak after each loop haha, exagerating a bit there but you see what I mean :P ) and loose some precious time doing that. On BF3 long dogfights doesn't happen that often so it's managable, but in WoWP it's pretty much all about dogfights so im really not sure I would enjoy the classic mouse control now that im getting more familiar with this one.

So one advice, persist, persist, persist. You'll get used to it, and probably enjoy it.

himat007 #11 Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [M4ACE] M4ACE

View PostGaldor302, on 07 June 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

I'm seeing suggestions about BF2/3 control with a mouse. Perhaps you guys could explain what it is as reading your posts I really don't understand what you are wanting to change the mouse controls to. Like a few other people flying in the beta (and maybe the developers) I don't have any experience with BF2/3.

I do feel that this game is more suited for a joystick, but a mouse will suffice if a person has patience and doesn't get into aggressive dogfights. One thing I will like to add, however, is that I find I enjoy using the mouse on ground attack missions as I can aim at the targets with extreme precision.

It has instant reaction and consistant speed in rolling/pitching.
The only flaw would be that to do an Immelmann turn you have to move the mouse form the one end of the desk to the other or do small jerks many times.

MorganTheManOrgan #12 Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:09 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
After I first downloaded the game I found the mouse/ keyboard controls to be really awkward and had troubling following a target much less hitting one. On the second night of playing I really got into the flying/ maneuvering aspect and started to enjoy it a lot more. Now on my third night of playing I can say that I really enjoy the game, the dog fights, the difference in planes, and adjusting to each plane's abilities. In my 3rd battle tonight I managed to get 6 kills in the I-16 Type 24 in a tier IV match only to run out of ammo right when my last team mate died and I had one enemy left to kill.

I will say that bf2 and bf3 are great games for flying but they are not purely flight simulators. And this only being closed beta the game still has a ways to go and people that are playing now have plenty of time to adjust.

Erazor #13 Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 165 battles
pretty much what I said in my 2nd post ;)
yes it's awkward and painfull for a good numbers of games untill you get used to it and understand it's subtilities, and after that step, it's amaaaaziiiing (LA chicks accent)

NoMoreChillies #14 Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

Senior Airman

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [AFD] AFD

My BF3 controls :
Mouse controls Yaw and Pitch (turns left / right and up / down)
A+D controls roll.
W+S control engine speed
Spacebar bound to pull nose up
Mouse buttons for shoot

Simple controls that are easy to learn and very effective.
Also the controls are client side, thus no delay after pressing fire and seeing my tracers.

Edited by NoMoreChillies, 11 June 2012 - 06:01 AM.

Fishyhunter #15 Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
I also find the bungy carrot on the stick an odd way to control the plane, I use a mouse and its damn hard!

Welsige #16 Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
Agreed, controls need a lot of improvement, especially yaw movement with mouse.

An_Average_Jho #17 Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

Helvetic Polyglot

• Alpha tester
  • 2946 battles
  • [WWPD] WWPD

Go see the thread I opened about 4 months ago on this topic. Explains everything: http://forum-na.worl...mouse-controls/

Everything tastes better if it tries to eat you before you eat it

I named my airplane Iosef because it kept on Stalin

"My centre is giving way. My right is in retreat. Situation excellent. I attack" -General Foch

TlGERACE #18 Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 58 battles
what if you have a joystick and don't know how to set it what would you do ?

ComradeTony #19 Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 14 battles
Agreed. I honestly cannot play the game with the controls in their current state. BF 1942 had far better mouse/keyboard controls years ago.

TlGERACE #20 Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 58 battles
I just got a game pad and yes its by far better then the joystick

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users