The matchmaking does NOT tell the whole story.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #1 Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:52 PM

Major

• 5306 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Loaded in with my P.1092 for a bit of quick PP.

Looked at the list of planes.

Crud.  Bottom tier, and a flight of specialized Tier X German GAA.  AWESOME.  We have a specialized German T10 GAA on our team, and an unspecialized T9 German GAA.  Rounding out the red team, a human in a specialized P.1092.  Twinsies!

We grab our CC first, and they get theirs not long after.  Run over to the military base JUST IN TIME to see it turn red.  Climb up, shoot down the human P.1092., drop down and remove 2/3rds of the health of one of their human GAA, climb up and kill a bot MRF and one ADA before running off to try and help take the red CC.  Well, in the time it takes me to get there, red has superiority.

Crud.  I'd love to say I didn't expect that, but I actually did.  Flighted GAA on a smaller map means fast caps and quick flips.  It sits like that for a couple of seconds, then I shoot down the human P.1092 for the second time to flip the red CC to blue.  Just in time for our GAA to flip the MB to blue.  Here comes one of the red GAA to the MB, just as I'm getting there - sweet!  he only has about a quarter of his health left.  Tap, tap, tap - full elevator and boost for maximum GTFO of the bomb trap danger zone, and here's squall line.  We are doing pretty well - superiority, but the MB is at about a quarter capped, so time to defend.  Zoom over, zap two bot MRF, head back to the CC I was just at - right into the guns of a bot I-215.

So sad.  Cry for my poor German fighter and it's little, tiny bits floating down from the heavens.

Oh, well, it was hard-fought, totally fun, and win or lose, it was a great battle.  The matchmaking really did favor red, but they made a couple of key mistakes (like not watching where I was on the map, because none of them had much to fear from our bots, LOL), so it was really close.

In the end, we squeaked a win, and I got top of team by 10 whole points, with the T10 German GAA in 2nd place.  If they could have kept superiority for 5-10 more seconds when they had it, they would have won.

NEVER, EVER give up on a battle.  Even if their team gets superiority.  Second time in as many weeks that victory occurred when it seemed as though it was a ROTFLstomp loss from the git-go.

To that point, the previous battle in my B&V P.203 was a laugher - superiority in about 3 minutes, and the battle was over in less than five.  I was top of team with all of 6200 PP.  Was barely worth the 2x XP.

Edited by CorvusCorvax, 01 March 2021 - 11:54 PM.

Corsair4790805 #2 Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:06 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1843 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 01 March 2021 - 03:52 PM, said:

Loaded in with my P.1092 for a bit of quick PP.

Looked at the list of planes.

Crud.  Bottom tier, and a flight of specialized Tier X German GAA.  AWESOME.  We have a specialized German T10 GAA on our team, and an unspecialized T9 German GAA.  Rounding out the red team, a human in a specialized P.1092.  Twinsies!

We grab our CC first, and they get theirs not long after.  Run over to the military base JUST IN TIME to see it turn red.  Climb up, shoot down the human P.1092., drop down and remove 2/3rds of the health of one of their human GAA, climb up and kill a bot MRF and one ADA before running off to try and help take the red CC.  Well, in the time it takes me to get there, red has superiority.

Crud.  I'd love to say I didn't expect that, but I actually did.  Flighted GAA on a smaller map means fast caps and quick flips.  It sits like that for a couple of seconds, then I shoot down the human P.1092 for the second time to flip the red CC to blue.  Just in time for our GAA to flip the MB to blue.  Here comes one of the red GAA to the MB, just as I'm getting there - sweet!  he only has about a quarter of his health left.  Tap, tap, tap - full elevator and boost for maximum GTFO of the bomb trap danger zone, and here's squall line.  We are doing pretty well - superiority, but the MB is at about a quarter capped, so time to defend.  Zoom over, zap two bot MRF, head back to the CC I was just at - right into the guns of a bot I-215.

So sad.  Cry for my poor German fighter and it's little, tiny bits floating down from the heavens.

Oh, well, it was hard-fought, totally fun, and win or lose, it was a great battle.  The matchmaking really did favor red, but they made a couple of key mistakes (like not watching where I was on the map, because none of them had much to fear from our bots, LOL), so it was really close.

In the end, we squeaked a win, and I got top of team by 10 whole points, with the T10 German GAA in 2nd place.  If they could have kept superiority for 5-10 more seconds when they had it, they would have won.

NEVER, EVER give up on a battle.  Even if their team gets superiority.  Second time in as many weeks that victory occurred when it seemed as though it was a ROTFLstomp loss from the git-go.

To that point, the previous battle in my B&V P.203 was a laugher - superiority in about 3 minutes, and the battle was over in less than five.  I was top of team with all of 6200 PP.  Was barely worth the 2x XP.

You should do this commentary over the replay video - I'd watch just for the commentary :)

CorvusCorvax #3 Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:11 AM

Major

• 5306 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCorsair4790805, on 02 March 2021 - 02:06 AM, said:

You should do this commentary over the replay video - I'd watch just for the commentary :)

Frankly, I cannot imagine a more boring video.  Condensing the interesting parts down to 30 seconds of reading...

I have Nvidia cards in my gaming PCs, so I could do the recording thing with the Nvidia SW.

I keep bugging qu33kKC to do flights, it might be fun to do a stream-like thing, except just record them.

Except for every battle like this one, I have 10 like the B&V P.203 one - snooze-fest.  Literally the cure for insomnia.

Corsair4790805 #4 Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:21 AM

• 1843 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 01 March 2021 - 06:11 PM, said:

Frankly, I cannot imagine a more boring video.  Condensing the interesting parts down to 30 seconds of reading...

I have Nvidia cards in my gaming PCs, so I could do the recording thing with the Nvidia SW.

I keep bugging qu33kKC to do flights, it might be fun to do a stream-like thing, except just record them.

Except for every battle like this one, I have 10 like the B&V P.203 one - snooze-fest.  Literally the cure for insomnia.

I record all my battles with my nVidia card, but I've only posted a few (with no commentary or text) on YouTube.   Most of them aren't worth the space the take up on my drive, but every once in a while a great one gets saved. 

Though I have though about doing a series of "What Not To Do" videos....I have a lot of games like that in WoWP :)

CorvusCorvax #5 Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:15 AM

Major

• 5306 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCorsair4790805, on 02 March 2021 - 02:21 AM, said:

I record all my battles with my nVidia card, but I've only posted a few (with no commentary or text) on YouTube.   Most of them aren't worth the space the take up on my drive, but every once in a while a great one gets saved. 

Though I have though about doing a series of "What Not To Do" videos....I have a lot of games like that in WoWP :)

LOL, same.

I have 2 issues with the recording SW.  One is space.  The files are large.  The second is the reduced performance.   I took a big framerate hit when I tried to record last time.

It could be a settings issue  I will admit.

Captain_Rownd #6 Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:23 AM

First Lieutenant

• 4535 battles

View PostCorsair4790805, on 01 March 2021 - 04:21 PM, said:

I record all my battles with my nVidia card, but I've only posted a few (with no commentary or text) on YouTube.   

I tried using Shadowplay and OBS(?) long ago, but could never get them to record anything except a black screen at the time.

Favorites:

SPAD S.510:: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: Caudron C.714 :: Me 329 :: MiG-9

SpiritFoxMY #7 Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:21 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6589 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
I use OBS. Originally I used ShadowPlay but that messed up all the settings of all my other games so I uninstalled it and used OBS. These days my problem is remembering to turn on the recording.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

losttwo #8 Posted 02 March 2021 - 09:00 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 11657 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
:izmena:

jack_wdw #9 Posted 02 March 2021 - 11:19 AM

• 4623 battles
I don't give up on a battle before the battle starts.

But NEVER EVER Give up on a battle ...
sounds IMO a bit like an ad saying " you can never be too thin..."

I check at first respawnl, by then you'll have a good idea how the battle will turn out.
There is no shame leaving at that point.

Corsair4790805 #10 Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:48 PM

• 1843 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postjack_wdw, on 02 March 2021 - 03:19 AM, said:

I don't give up on a battle before the battle starts.

But NEVER EVER Give up on a battle ...
sounds IMO a bit like an ad saying " you can never be too thin..."

I check at first respawnl, by then you'll have a good idea how the battle will turn out.
There is no shame leaving at that point.

I'm not so sure - in my limited experience, I've seen games that were all but won lost in the final minutes/seconds, and games that looked like a runaway defeat being saved by game end.

Just last night I had one where 4 minutes in the red team had capped 4 out of 5 sectors (map had 2 Military Bases, 2 Forward Airstrips, and 1 Garrison).    The only uncapped sector was the northern Military Base, and blue didn't cap that for another full minute.  

However, over the remaining 6/7 minutes of the game blue ultimately achieved superiority and took the win.   If I had dropped after the first respawn, when red held 3 sectors (including one of the Military Bases) and we were losing the one sector we had, and STILL hadn't capped the other Military Base, maybe blue wouldn't have won.

I stick around out of sheer stubbornness and a hope that we can turn things around if they're going badly. 

Captain_Underpants53 #11 Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:32 PM

Major

• 37232 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostCorsair4790805, on 02 March 2021 - 01:48 PM, said:

I'm not so sure - in my limited experience, I've seen games that were all but won lost in the final minutes/seconds, and games that looked like a runaway defeat being saved by game end.

Just last night I had one where 4 minutes in the red team had capped 4 out of 5 sectors (map had 2 Military Bases, 2 Forward Airstrips, and 1 Garrison).    The only uncapped sector was the northern Military Base, and blue didn't cap that for another full minute.  

However, over the remaining 6/7 minutes of the game blue ultimately achieved superiority and took the win.   If I had dropped after the first respawn, when red held 3 sectors (including one of the Military Bases) and we were losing the one sector we had, and STILL hadn't capped the other Military Base, maybe blue wouldn't have won.

I stick around out of sheer stubbornness and a hope that we can turn things around if they're going badly. 

YES!

:medal:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

CorvusCorvax #12 Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:13 AM

Major

• 5306 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 02 March 2021 - 08:21 AM, said:

I use OBS. Originally I used ShadowPlay but that messed up all the settings of all my other games so I uninstalled it and used OBS. These days my problem is remembering to turn on the recording.

I recorded part of an all-bot game.  I got dropped at load in, and had to catch up.

With Shadowplay running, my framerate dipped, but it was acceptable.  I'm more worried about dropping on load in and loadout.

Edited by CorvusCorvax, 03 March 2021 - 10:02 PM.

SkyWolf__WM #13 Posted 14 March 2021 - 07:38 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 16417 battles
  • [I57TH] I57TH

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 01 March 2021 - 06:52 PM, said:

Loaded in with my P.1092 for a bit

Snip

Video or it didn't happen.  :hiding:

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

CorvusCorvax #14 Posted 14 March 2021 - 08:47 PM

Major

• 5306 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 14 March 2021 - 07:38 PM, said:

Video or it didn't happen.  :hiding:

Look who's working hard on getting another forum vacation.

Trolling is going to work, I promise.

SkyWolf__WM #15 Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:34 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 16417 battles
  • [I57TH] I57TH

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 14 March 2021 - 03:47 PM, said:

Look who's working hard on getting another forum vacation.

Trolling is going to work, I promise.

???? Do you report people?? :teethhappy:. Is somebody going to report your L2P and Git Good posts.  :child:

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

WhoaBlackBetty #16 Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:40 PM

Captain

• 5027 battles
  • [A_C_E] A_C_E

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 15 March 2021 - 01:34 PM, said:

???? Do you report people?? :teethhappy:. Is somebody going to report your L2P and Git Good posts.  :child:

"L2P" and "Git gud"  (CorvusCorvax) "are an inseparable part of the competitive nature of the game, and both provide a valuable service."  (J311yfish).

WBB

De-arse your bunks! Man the planes! The Fokkers are in sight! BAM ba LAMMM!
J311yfish: " 'Seal clubbing' and 'head hunting' are an inseparable part of the competitive nature of the game, and both provide a valuable service."
This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by (guess who). View it anyway?

Corsair4790805 #17 Posted 15 March 2021 - 08:40 PM

• 1843 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

L2P and Git Gud would be dismissive - if there weren't plenty of pilots on the forum (and in game/clans) that are more than willing to answer honest questions from pilots looking to understand and improve their play.

There is a ton of good information in the forums, plus replay videos posted on YouTube, even WBB's Night Witches bomber site.

Note that I say honest questions from players looking to understand and improve their play - posting a topic or replying to a topic o whine about how WG or the game is not balanced or not fair or whatever doesn't fall into that category.  Everyone has a right to complain, but constantly bringing up the same complaints, especially when the majority of the player base doesn't seem to have the same complaints, seems pointless.   WG does not appear to be listening, so all that does is beat a dead horse (or unicorn, if the issue is considered mythical by most players).

The game is what it is - a player either learns to maximize the advantages and minimize the disadvantages, or suffers accordingly.   That's a lot like life, come to think of it.

Captain_Underpants53 #18 Posted 15 March 2021 - 09:18 PM

Major

• 37232 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostCorsair4790805, on 15 March 2021 - 03:40 PM, said:

L2P and Git Gud would be dismissive - if there weren't plenty of pilots on the forum (and in game/clans) that are more than willing to answer honest questions from pilots looking to understand and improve their play.

There is a ton of good information in the forums, plus replay videos posted on YouTube, even WBB's Night Witches bomber site.

Note that I say honest questions from players looking to understand and improve their play - posting a topic or replying to a topic o whine about how WG or the game is not balanced or not fair or whatever doesn't fall into that category.  Everyone has a right to complain, but constantly bringing up the same complaints, especially when the majority of the player base doesn't seem to have the same complaints, seems pointless.   WG does not appear to be listening, so all that does is beat a dead horse (or unicorn, if the issue is considered mythical by most players).

The game is what it is - a player either learns to maximize the advantages and minimize the disadvantages, or suffers accordingly.   That's a lot like life, come to think of it.

:medal:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

CorvusCorvax #19 Posted 16 March 2021 - 04:42 AM

Major

• 5306 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostSkyWolf__WM, on 15 March 2021 - 07:34 PM, said:

Somebody who has been around since beta test times should know that there are WG moderators who actually look at what's going on in the forums.  No need to report anything - it becomes obvious who is acting out.

View PostWhoaBlackBetty, on 15 March 2021 - 07:40 PM, said:

"L2P" and "Git gud"  (CorvusCorvax) "are an inseparable part of the competitive nature of the game, and both provide a valuable service."  (J311yfish).

WBB

It is reserved for those who cannot accept that it is their own failings that cause their difficulties within the game. In some ways, all of us need to L2P and git gud, in one way or another.

WhoaBlackBetty #20 Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:46 AM

Captain

• 5027 battles
  • [A_C_E] A_C_E

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 15 March 2021 - 10:42 PM, said:

Somebody who has been around since beta test times should know that there are WG moderators who actually look at what's going on in the forums.  No need to report anything - it becomes obvious who is acting out.

It is reserved for those who cannot accept that it is their own failings that cause their difficulties within the game. In some ways, all of us need to L2P and git gud, in one way or another.

BAM ba LAM yup.

De-arse your bunks! Man the planes! The Fokkers are in sight! BAM ba LAMMM!
J311yfish: " 'Seal clubbing' and 'head hunting' are an inseparable part of the competitive nature of the game, and both provide a valuable service."
This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by (guess who). View it anyway?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users