Bots and Garrisons

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Corsair4790805 #1 Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1791 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

The other night I was in a battle where I performed sub-optimally - to the point that I messaged the other guy on my team to apologize for being a potato.

We chatted for a bit - he wasn't upset, but said he figured I was a newbie since I sent bots to one of the garrisons.   I'm not sure I'd call myself a newbie at 1500 battles, though I certainly play like a noob at times.  He recommended I look at VeeBat's new player videos (I did quite some time ago), as (IIRC) he said VeeBat tells people not to send bots to garrisons.

I did revisit VeeBat's newbie guide on tactics, and it in he discusses sending bots (via F2) to garrisons more than once (or at leas using the F2 key on garrisons).  

My general approach at battle start is to send bots to the 2 or 3 (depending on the total number of sectors) closest sectors, and then I'll head for the one that I'm closest and is most appropriate for my aircraft - sometimes I'll hang for a couple seconds to see where everyone else is going.   I also adjust this as needed based on other factors.

So my question to the crowd here is, is it pointless to send bots to garrisons?   I know that garrisons are the least valuable sector, and maybe that's what he was addressing, though I sent bots to non-garrison sectors as well.

The player was very nice, and I don't have any issues with him and I'm not calling him out (hence no names), just trying to understand if I'm missing something important regarding bots.

Lose_dudes #2 Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:28 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 1814 battles
  • [524] 524

View PostCorsair4790805, on 24 February 2021 - 07:23 PM, said:

The other night I was in a battle where I performed sub-optimally - to the point that I messaged the other guy on my team to apologize for being a potato.

We chatted for a bit - he wasn't upset, but said he figured I was a newbie since I sent bots to one of the garrisons.   I'm not sure I'd call myself a newbie at 1500 battles, though I certainly play like a noob at times.  He recommended I look at VeeBat's new player videos (I did quite some time ago), as (IIRC) he said VeeBat tells people not to send bots to garrisons.

I did revisit VeeBat's newbie guide on tactics, and it in he discusses sending bots (via F2) to garrisons more than once (or at leas using the F2 key on garrisons).  

My general approach at battle start is to send bots to the 2 or 3 (depending on the total number of sectors) closest sectors, and then I'll head for the one that I'm closest and is most appropriate for my aircraft - sometimes I'll hang for a couple seconds to see where everyone else is going.   I also adjust this as needed based on other factors.

So my question to the crowd here is, is it pointless to send bots to garrisons?   I know that garrisons are the least valuable sector, and maybe that's what he was addressing, though I sent bots to non-garrison sectors as well.

The player was very nice, and I don't have any issues with him and I'm not calling him out (hence no names), just trying to understand if I'm missing something important regarding bots.

You're a pretty good player, actually. Proportionally battles to skill, I'm the worst player on the forums :medal:

Destroyers? In my day, we only had torpedo boats!

Captain_Underpants53 #3 Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:37 PM

Major

• 36996 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
I tend to not rely on the bots at all unless I have almost completely wrecked a base.  Even then I am frequently disappointed.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Corsair4790805 #4 Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:46 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1791 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 24 February 2021 - 11:37 AM, said:

I tend to not rely on the bots at all unless I have almost completely wrecked a base.  Even then I am frequently disappointed.

Yeah....I don't count on them for anything, but I figure they can at least distract the red team until myself or another meat bag can get around to taking the sector LOL

LeastWeasel #5 Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:53 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4156 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
Bots can't be trusted for clutch plays - but you can use them to stack odds in your favour. That's kinda the theme. Stack them odds, use them as a backup or fallback point. Depending on what/how you are flying, having a few on hand can open some possibilities. They are the greatest liability when enemy players have set up a blender at a site, and they just keep flying in. If a site is impossible to flip -send the bots (and yourself) everywhere else.

CorvusCorvax #6 Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:54 PM

Major

• 5298 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCorsair4790805, on 24 February 2021 - 07:46 PM, said:

Yeah....I don't count on them for anything, but I figure they can at least distract the red team until myself or another meat bag can get around to taking the sector LOL

I'll always send them to the higher-value sectors.  I'll pass through a garrison on my way there, shooting down ADA if I can, but really, my goal is to go to a non-garrison.  Unless, of course, it's an all-garrison map.  :)

qu33kKC #7 Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 12949 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
if nothing else, sending a bot to a Garrison instead of the Spitfire blender in the central airfield is one less thing for the red team to slaughter there.

losttwo #8 Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:16 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 11615 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Depending on the map you want to send the bots to the highest priority target. 

Do not send bots to mining plant, already captured airfield when it is the only priority target and humans are defending, 

Learn target priority. 

Garrison is lowest on totem pole unless it is 2 garrison /airfield or 4 garrison/ airfield map. 

Do not ping map before battle starts because no commands will register. 

Do not ping multiple locations because only the last command ( attack/ defend sector ) will register. 

I.E. : F2  left military base, F2 right military base, F2 mining plant., F2 Airfield, 

bots that respond will go to airfield and die so red can cap the airfield. 

If you are eliminated do not panic ping a location 

PING PING PING PING PING

Each time you ping a location it resets and starts the command line over. 

It is a good way to lose a match

There are other nuances you need to pay attention to as well. 

Like the clear my tail, attack player, defend player, help   and so on. 

It is very rare that a bomber or GA will respond to a command, 

Corsair4790805 #9 Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:06 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1791 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postlosttwo, on 24 February 2021 - 01:16 PM, said:

Depending on the map you want to send the bots to the highest priority target. 

Do not send bots to mining plant, already captured airfield when it is the only priority target and humans are defending, 

Learn target priority. 

Garrison is lowest on totem pole unless it is 2 garrison /airfield or 4 garrison/ airfield map. 

Do not ping map before battle starts because no commands will register. 

Do not ping multiple locations because only the last command ( attack/ defend sector ) will register. 

I.E. : F2  left military base, F2 right military base, F2 mining plant., F2 Airfield, 

bots that respond will go to airfield and die so red can cap the airfield. 

If you are eliminated do not panic ping a location 

PING PING PING PING PING

Each time you ping a location it resets and starts the command line over. 

It is a good way to lose a match

There are other nuances you need to pay attention to as well. 

Like the clear my tail, attack player, defend player, help   and so on. 

It is very rare that a bomber or GA will respond to a command, 

When you say don't ping multiple sectors, as only the last command will register - I'm not sure that's the behavior I've seen in game.  When I watch the mini map, I see different bots (usually) respond to my F2's on different sectors.  Do you mean that, for example, if I give commands for 3 sectors, only the last one will be carried out, even if 3 different bots responded to the F2 command?

Captain_Rownd #10 Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:10 AM

First Lieutenant

• 4509 battles

View PostCorsair4790805, on 24 February 2021 - 09:23 AM, said:

So my question to the crowd here is, is it pointless to send bots to garrisons?  .

There are rare times I'd send bots to the garrisons, basically when there's nothing more important to do, or if one of the last enemy aircraft is in that garrison.  

Usually when you F2 all that happens is the bot that's already headed there says "yeah, I'm already headed there".  Maybe that could prevent that bot from changing its mind if it might have otherwise.    

Favorites:

SPAD S.510:: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: Caudron C.714 :: Me 329 :: MiG-9

losttwo #11 Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:16 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 11615 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostCorsair4790805, on 25 February 2021 - 12:06 AM, said:

When you say don't ping multiple sectors, as only the last command will register - I'm not sure that's the behavior I've seen in game.  When I watch the mini map, I see different bots (usually) respond to my F2's on different sectors.  Do you mean that, for example, if I give commands for 3 sectors, only the last one will be carried out, even if 3 different bots responded to the F2 command?

Yes. Like an employee that says YES but when you go to check his work, it is still not started.

hoom #12 Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:55 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 13456 battles

Depends on the map & the current state of the caps.

Most of the time you shouldn't be sending a bot to a Garrison because there are better places to send them but there are plenty of circumstances where you should send to a Garrison.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

trikke #13 Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:41 PM

Major

• 5393 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
i would consider sending a bot to a garrison         but only if it was a low priority target that wouldn't attract red humans for a while
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users