No matter how bleak it looks, never, ever, give up on a battle.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #1 Posted 22 February 2021 - 04:44 PM

Major

• 5252 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Tier IX, Me-262 HGII, map is the mountainy one with the two CCs, two garrisons, and a central airfield.  Red team human in a Me-P.1092.

The 15 bomber/GAA mission for a crate thing has been fun, and I applaud WG for giving us easy crates this weekend.  I was loving the opportunity to do what HFs do, which is shoot down bombers and GAA.  Anyway, I'm on my second battle, with 8 more bombers/GAA to kill for the crate, and I am not really caring too much about win/loss, since I don't have any human team mates to work hard for.  I'm just here for the crate, friends.

Well, the battle see-saws over the first part, and I have opportunities to flip caps on my way to killing the two bot Ju-287s that are out there.  Having already played a battle in the HGII, I have the cannon aiming thing dialed in, so I'm not fighting THAT part of my game.  The map is slowly, slowly headed red, but we're still mostly tied on capture points, with blue a little down.

I'm working near a CC that's nearly flipped blue, when all of a sudden, red has superiority, and it's 20 seconds from squall line.  Oh, crap.  Well, it's been fun, kids.  I don't think I have my 8 bombers yet, so that means another battle.  No problem, I guess.  See a bot HF low on health over the CC, and go ahead and knock him down to at least slow the tide of capture points.  Nice.

Lo, and behold, it's like the two bombers were just waiting out of view range to come over and recap this newly-blue sector.  OK, well, I *think* that'll give me eight, so I'm excited and go and try and kill them.  While I am killing them, my bot MRF take back the airfield, and have shot down three red enemy planes.  I finish off the bombers, and here comes the bot IL-40, with 63 (!!!) hit points left.

Well, OK - that surely means I have the crate now, right?  Cool.

Hey, that B&V P.212 over there is smoking, and I'm right here so...BLAP.  We have now three of the 5 caps, and red is still leading in cap points.  The red bomber flight is not going to get anywhere in time, so I can ignore them.  (I hope.  If I don't have a total of 8 bomber/GAA, I'm gonna be peeved, because that was the whole reason for lighting the game up in the first place!)  But I want to win.

I see a light fighter off in the distance, and hit the boost consumable to go get it.  It's the human, chasing one of my bot LF at the airfield.  He has about a third of his HP left, and as I get into range, he's just turning for me to have a stern shot, and its a tap-fire kill.  I type "GG" in the chat, then hit the tab key to see that I have a bot F2H left, and there he is over my blue CC. 

After finishing him off, it was a 763-792 attrition win.  Yes, I had arguably the best aircraft at T9 to get that particular job done, and I got lucky that the red team's bots were at a low overall health state at squall line, and I was in a high health state because i really hadn't been mixing it up with other planes, and hitting the bot bombers when they didn't have me in their defended zones.  Most certainly, there was some good fortune on my part, no doubt.

But if you don't stay in the game, how can you benefit from that good fortune?  If you don't play until the end, how do you know that your bots won't pull out a miracle in the end?  (I have had not a few battles where blue was VERY behind, then got superiority and held it.)  If you don't stay, you can't have any effect on what happens, and what happens might be great, and you could be part of it.  A come-from-behind victory is the best kind.

Yes, I got my crate.  And it had mechanical parts in it!  Yay!

Corsair4790805 #2 Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1621 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 22 February 2021 - 08:44 AM, said:

But if you don't stay in the game, how can you benefit from that good fortune?  If you don't play until the end, how do you know that your bots won't pull out a miracle in the end?  (I have had not a few battles where blue was VERY behind, then got superiority and held it.)  If you don't stay, you can't have any effect on what happens, and what happens might be great, and you could be part of it.  A come-from-behind victory is the best kind.

Good write up - I completely agree with staying until the bitter end, as I've seen more than one battle go from a defeat to a win in the final minutes of the match.

I've also seen defeat snatched from the jaws of victory as well more than once, but those come from behind wins are some of the mos satisfying in the game.

Captain_Underpants53 #3 Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:17 PM

Major

• 36147 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 22 February 2021 - 11:44 AM, said:

Tier IX, Me-262 HGII, map is the mountainy one with the two CCs, two garrisons, and a central airfield.  Red team human in a Me-P.1092.

The 15 bomber/GAA mission for a crate thing has been fun, and I applaud WG for giving us easy crates this weekend.  I was loving the opportunity to do what HFs do, which is shoot down bombers and GAA.  Anyway, I'm on my second battle, with 8 more bombers/GAA to kill for the crate, and I am not really caring too much about win/loss, since I don't have any human team mates to work hard for.  I'm just here for the crate, friends.

Well, the battle see-saws over the first part, and I have opportunities to flip caps on my way to killing the two bot Ju-287s that are out there.  Having already played a battle in the HGII, I have the cannon aiming thing dialed in, so I'm not fighting THAT part of my game.  The map is slowly, slowly headed red, but we're still mostly tied on capture points, with blue a little down.

I'm working near a CC that's nearly flipped blue, when all of a sudden, red has superiority, and it's 20 seconds from squall line.  Oh, crap.  Well, it's been fun, kids.  I don't think I have my 8 bombers yet, so that means another battle.  No problem, I guess.  See a bot HF low on health over the CC, and go ahead and knock him down to at least slow the tide of capture points.  Nice.

Lo, and behold, it's like the two bombers were just waiting out of view range to come over and recap this newly-blue sector.  OK, well, I *think* that'll give me eight, so I'm excited and go and try and kill them.  While I am killing them, my bot MRF take back the airfield, and have shot down three red enemy planes.  I finish off the bombers, and here comes the bot IL-40, with 63 (!!!) hit points left.

Well, OK - that surely means I have the crate now, right?  Cool.

Hey, that B&V P.212 over there is smoking, and I'm right here so...BLAP.  We have now three of the 5 caps, and red is still leading in cap points.  The red bomber flight is not going to get anywhere in time, so I can ignore them.  (I hope.  If I don't have a total of 8 bomber/GAA, I'm gonna be peeved, because that was the whole reason for lighting the game up in the first place!)  But I want to win.

I see a light fighter off in the distance, and hit the boost consumable to go get it.  It's the human, chasing one of my bot LF at the airfield.  He has about a third of his HP left, and as I get into range, he's just turning for me to have a stern shot, and its a tap-fire kill.  I type "GG" in the chat, then hit the tab key to see that I have a bot F2H left, and there he is over my blue CC. 

After finishing him off, it was a 763-792 attrition win.  Yes, I had arguably the best aircraft at T9 to get that particular job done, and I got lucky that the red team's bots were at a low overall health state at squall line, and I was in a high health state because i really hadn't been mixing it up with other planes, and hitting the bot bombers when they didn't have me in their defended zones.  Most certainly, there was some good fortune on my part, no doubt.

Well said!  And it's even the truth for a change!

:medal:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

losttwo #4 Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:13 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 11325 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Video or it didn't happen :great:

losttwo #5 Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:17 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 11325 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I agree.

Never give up the battle. 

You could easily be the last man alive and be the determining factor on that blue bar holding too the win.

Or being able to shoot the last enemy plane to steal the match, 

It happens more often than not.

Unless you are a token ho and needing an airfield on a map that has no airfield. 

There is no excuse to leave a match. 

<<<<<<<<< clears throat >>>>>>>>    Cobra, Cobra

anyone seen Cobra

CorvusCorvax #6 Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:31 PM

Major

• 5252 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 22 February 2021 - 06:17 PM, said:

Well said!  And it's even the truth for a change!

Oh, man.  You're mean.

Captain_Underpants53 #7 Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:03 AM

Major

• 36147 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 22 February 2021 - 03:31 PM, said:

Oh, man.  You're mean.

Thank you.......thank you very much.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Wrongway_Conway #8 Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:03 PM

Master Sergeant

• 8 battles

View Postlosttwo, on 22 February 2021 - 07:13 PM, said:

Video or it didn't happen :great:

Why doubt him? Anything can happen with the super crazy RNG this game has.

From shutouts:

with my getting #1 team ranking (how the hell did that happen?) to:

Ace score and 6 tokens scored on a lowly 3 sector map flying the I-17.

The huge range of RNG can swing wildly from a superiority losing battle (game over man... or so you think) to in less than a minute later my side now has superiority and wins the battle.

It's crazy bad.:playing:

Wg should fix this (narrow the min/max ranges) but won't as they think we like huge volatility even though we don't.

Edited by Wrongway_Conway, 24 February 2021 - 06:04 PM.

Corsair4790805 #9 Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:14 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1621 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

I don't think the RNG is as widespread as you make it sound.

For February, I've flown 124 battles so far.   I have stats on 120 of those battles, and they have the following breakdown:

Downtiered: 40.83%

Blue team with twice the number of battles as the red team:   28.33%

Red team with twice the number of battles as the blue team:  24.17%

Red and blue less than twice the number of battles as the other team:  44.17%

Individual battles will stand out in our memories for good and bad reasons, but overall, at least in my subjective experience, it more or less evens out over time.

Captain_Underpants53 #10 Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:17 PM

Major

• 36147 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostCorsair4790805, on 24 February 2021 - 01:14 PM, said:

I don't think the RNG is as widespread as you make it sound.

For February, I've flown 124 battles so far.   I have stats on 120 of those battles, and they have the following breakdown:

Downtiered: 40.83%

Blue team with twice the number of battles as the red team:   28.33%

Red team with twice the number of battles as the blue team:  24.17%

Red and blue less than twice the number of battles as the other team:  44.17%

Individual battles will stand out in our memories for good and bad reasons, but overall, at least in my subjective experience, it more or less evens out over time.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Lose_dudes #11 Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:35 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1814 battles
  • [524] 524

View PostWrongway_Conway, on 24 February 2021 - 06:03 PM, said:

Why doubt him? Anything can happen with the super crazy RNG this game has.

From shutouts:

with my getting #1 team ranking (how the hell did that happen?) to:

Ace score and 6 tokens scored on a lowly 3 sector map flying the I-17.

The huge range of RNG can swing wildly from a superiority losing battle (game over man... or so you think) to in less than a minute later my side now has superiority and wins the battle.

It's crazy bad.:playing:

Wg should fix this (narrow the min/max ranges) but won't as they think we like huge volatility even though we don't.

Oh no, Marco, not you AGAIN!

How many ALTS do you have?

Everything's stupid, everything's wrong

MGs are too weak and cannons too strong

The ju-87 is simply a waste

xp past the do-17z with great haste

Ju4mpi #12 Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:58 PM

Master Sergeant

• 5999 battles

View PostWrongway_Conway, on 24 February 2021 - 06:03 PM, said:

Why doubt him? 

Because he lies about things and numbers  we can all see...

Imagine about stories we cant...

CorvusCorvax #13 Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:21 PM

Major

• 5252 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostJu4mpi, on 24 February 2021 - 06:58 PM, said:

Because he lies about things and numbers  we can all see...

Imagine about stories we cant...

LOL, OK.

Wrongway_Conway #14 Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:16 AM

Master Sergeant

• 8 battles

Take a queue from Peter Gabriel:

Peter Gabriel - Don't Give Up

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users