Still, Invisible Ground Target bug after over two years?

Still bug

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Captain_Underpants53 #1 Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:50 PM

Major

• 37259 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

The Invisible Ground Target bug has been with us entirely too long.  Over two years and counting!

Some days it's not too big of a deal.  Shows up occasionally but not too often.  Sadly those days are rare.

Other days you get it every other game if you don't run Check and Repair after every battle.  Most common.

But then you have days like today.  Each and every battle and Check and Repair is no help.

Any updates on this bug?  It has been a very long tome since we got an update on it.  Or is it some backdoor method of nerfing bombers?  Please advise.

Edited by Captain_Underpants53, 30 January 2021 - 12:24 PM.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

comealong1 #2 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:21 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11830 battles
  • [_EFF_] _EFF_

Yes this is a problem for me as well when I do fly a bomber, which is not often at all.. How am I supposed to get good at bombers?? How am I supposed to set good bombing routes, if I can't see them to begin with?? Fighters are sure easier, just blast whatever is red.

Captain_Underpants53 #3 Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:30 PM

Major

• 37259 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
You can fly the fast bombers for tier.  I suggest the Russians.  Then scoot over to a red base and there you will be able to see the targets again.  Just don't run out of boost, speed is life for the Russians.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Thorondar #4 Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5082 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
Just be patient, they will fix that bug in the fall of 2019 when they will expand the USA Bomber line.

losttwo #5 Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:03 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 11669 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Have you tried calling the FIST  to lase the targets or pop smoke.

I have not had the same problem with invisible targets but i do not or have not  played many bomber or GA lately

jack_wdw #6 Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:37 AM

• 4630 battles
The targets are still there?
I see this a lot when flying MR's.
The target marker is gone, but the actual target is still there.
If you bomb or shoot at it, you can still destroy it.
Takes a bit more effort though.

I get another bug lately which is much worse (in my opinion).
Crosshair disappears suddenly during battle
Then it becomes really impossible to continue the battle.

losttwo #7 Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:00 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 11669 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

It might be your graphics card.

Would suggest discussing it with your graphics card company and WOWP Support. 

jack_wdw #8 Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:05 PM

• 4630 battles

View Postlosttwo, on 29 January 2021 - 01:00 PM, said:

It might be your graphics card.

Would suggest discussing it with your graphics card company and WOWP Support. 

Nvidia GTX2060 ?

trikke #9 Posted 29 January 2021 - 09:17 PM

Major

• 5433 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

i see unlit GTs all the time, when i fly heavies with bombs     even at 1 or 2k feet

but i do like the challenge of picking out the high val targets 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

Four_Leaf_Tayback #10 Posted 30 January 2021 - 04:56 AM

• 352 battles

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 29 January 2021 - 10:47 PM, said:

36 hours and <crickets, crickets, crickets>

It's now the weekend in Kazakhstan (or wherever).

Captain, a suggestion, you might want to use the Full Editor to change the title of this post to something like "Invisible Ground Target Bug is Two Years Old" or similar if you want to get some attention to this.

For a long time I thought this bug was just you, but in recent events, I have been playing bombers A LOT.  I have seen this issue in several battles.  You are right in that the clouds make this bug incredibly difficult in the first bomb run against an enemy stronghold.  I was playing a lot of Russian bombers so it was not that big of a deal while I dive bombed.  But then spamming German bombers it became a real handicap..  

Previously, I only saw it once in a blue moon in ground attack, but in playing bombers day after day, it really is a pain the the rear.    

Saving my last two forum warnings since July 31, 2019.  

Master_Cylinder #11 Posted 30 January 2021 - 04:24 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 200 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 28 January 2021 - 04:50 PM, said:

The Invisible Ground Target bug has been with us entirely too long.  Over two years and counting!

Some days it's not too big of a deal.  Shows up occasionally but not too often.  Sadly those days are rare.

Other days you get it every other game if you don't run Check and Repair after every battle.  Most common.

But then you have days like today.  Each and every battle and Check and Repair is no help.

Any updates on this bug?  It has been a very long tome since we got an update on it.  Or is it some backdoor method of nerfing bombers?  Please advise.

now as of the last update we have "Phantom Bomber" 

So when looking at the large raidar you will see up to 2 bombers that are really not there.  I confirmed it today when I shot down the 2 real bombers within seconds of eachother then we had two more but you could not find them visually or on the small raidar but when the tab key was hit there they be!!!!

Maybe they will go away if I use one eye like Lionitus!!!!

trikke #12 Posted 30 January 2021 - 04:34 PM

Major

• 5433 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostMaster_Cylinder, on 30 January 2021 - 12:24 PM, said:

now as of the last update we have "Phantom Bomber" 

So when looking at the large raidar you will see up to 2 bombers that are really not there.  I confirmed it today when I shot down the 2 real bombers within seconds of eachother then we had two more but you could not find them visually or on the small raidar but when the tab key was hit there they be!!!!

Maybe they will go away if I use one eye like Lionitus!!!!

"seeing double" might be explained by something else entirely        but i've seen that phantom bomber thingy on the minimap, too

i see dead bombers      Bruce Willis is going to make a movie about us

Mudguts_ #13 Posted 30 January 2021 - 11:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 464 battles
Hey...maybe post it in the Questions to the Developers thread?  Here's the link: http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/53489-questions-to-the-developers/

"Push me, shove you."

"Oh yeah, says who?"

Captain_Underpants53 #14 Posted 31 January 2021 - 07:36 PM

Major

• 37259 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

This is posted in the bugs/error reporting section.  They monitor that.

I mentioned blindfold by name.  Their trawler picks that up.

If getting any new updates on this bug is a problem, a courtesy reach around would do.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Captain_Underpants53 #15 Posted 01 February 2021 - 12:10 PM

Major

• 37259 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
And so, this thread sinks slowly into the sunset, ignored and unanswered.  I should not be surprised but still, I am.  And disappointed.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

blindfoId #16 Posted 01 February 2021 - 02:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 8 battles

I'm sorry Captain_Underpants53, but what kind of an emergency answer would you like to hear? 

If there were any updates I would gladly report them on the forum. However, this issue has an irregular character: there are no 100% steps to reproduce it, and without knowing what exactly causes this rare problem there are no chances to fix it. Some players report that using Windows 7 compatibility option when running the game helps (I believe I mentioned it as a recommendation the last time), others still report missing markers. As soon as this issue is investigated and fix is prepared, the fix will be surely shipped, however we cannot give any ETA.

And by the way, I don't use any "trawlers" so it doesn't matter if my nickname is mentioned in the thread or not :)

TeamTerrence #17 Posted 01 February 2021 - 07:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6 battles
  • [S_S_G] S_S_G

View PostblindfoId, on 01 February 2021 - 09:33 AM, said:

I'm sorry Captain_Underpants53, but what kind of an emergency answer would you like to hear? 

If there were any updates I would gladly report them on the forum. However, this issue has an irregular character: there are no 100% steps to reproduce it, and without knowing what exactly causes this rare problem there are no chances to fix it. Some players report that using Windows 7 compatibility option when running the game helps (I believe I mentioned it as a recommendation the last time), others still report missing markers. As soon as this issue is investigated and fix is prepared, the fix will be surely shipped, however we cannot give any ETA.

And by the way, I don't use any "trawlers" so it doesn't matter if my nickname is mentioned in the thread or not :)

i get the same way after the 10th person in 1 day cusses me out for a bomb or rocket kill

Tried cutting back my coffee intake but i just snapped at the 1st remark.

Corsair4790805 #18 Posted 01 February 2021 - 07:39 PM

• 1850 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

I wonder if it would be possible for WG to publish a list of known defects, along with estimates on when/if they will be addressed, plus any known workarounds?

As a senior developer myself, I know how hard it can be to reproduce bugs, especially when they're not consistent.   The fix is usually pretty straightforward, but identifying the items that lead to the bug showing up can be a tedious and frustrating process.

However, at least knowing that WG is aware of defects and has a plan to address them would go a long way in building trust with the player base.

Just my opinion, and since I'm still pretty much a noob take it for what it's worth :)

J311yfish #19 Posted 01 February 2021 - 07:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 5607 battles
  • [343] 343
I wonder if it is possibly related to visibility/detection mechanics.  If so, that might be one way to explain why it is highly situational and/or hard to duplicate.

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

trikke #20 Posted 02 February 2021 - 09:21 PM

Major

• 5433 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostJ311yfish, on 01 February 2021 - 03:51 PM, said:

I wonder if it is possibly related to visibility/detection mechanics.  If so, that might be one way to explain why it is highly situational and/or hard to duplicate.

absolutely this! ^^       and could there be a difference between AMD and Nvidia users?         

much props for debuggers in general...   

there are so many possible reasons for an issue to appear because of diff windows vers, and diff hardware      it's surprising that any bug gets fixed

Also tagged with Still, bug

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users