Jump to content


Blohm und Voss BV P.203: Ready for battle!


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Content_WG #1 Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:26 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Developer
  • 0 battles
  • 1,228
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
Open the Hangar gate for the German Blohm und Voss BV P.203 heavy fighter!

Full news text

trikke #2 Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:27 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 5302 battles
  • 5,159
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
well, it's been several days.    Did anyone buy it?

I've had it for a while.      I guess it's a 410 with some jet assist?
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

CorvusCorvax #3 Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:32 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 5233 battles
  • 6,034
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Posttrikke, on 23 January 2021 - 01:27 PM, said:

well, it's been several days.    Did anyone buy it?

I've had it for a while.      I guess it's a 410 with some jet assist?


That's about how it flies.  Sort of like how the XP-58 is the P-38 of T8.

It can be VERY effective - those sniper cannon can totally crush bombers out of the sky, and make short work of unsuspecting LFs, but the F-82/P-82 combo is more interesting.

 



trikke #4 Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:16 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 5302 battles
  • 5,159
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

well...   i certainly can see others doing well in it      (you, in SNL last night!)      but i've never felt comfortable in it

 

feels kinda gangly, awkward...  like a pubescent teen boy trying to play football with guys only a year or two older        they're lightyears ahead of him

 

i'll keep it, of course, but i'm getting shelled in it now        i'm currently devoting training room time to the 38J, in a final attempt to get that 37 to hit reliably 

 

flew it several times with SFMY yesterday       did okay!        first 10k+ in it ever, but the skies had already been cleared of mean humans by him      ty, btw


Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

CorvusCorvax #5 Posted 24 January 2021 - 05:28 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 5233 battles
  • 6,034
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Posttrikke, on 24 January 2021 - 04:16 PM, said:

well...   i certainly can see others doing well in it      (you, in SNL last night!)      but i've never felt comfortable in it

 

feels kinda gangly, awkward...  like a pubescent teen boy trying to play football with guys only a year or two older        they're lightyears ahead of him

 

i'll keep it, of course, but i'm getting shelled in it now        i'm currently devoting training room time to the 38J, in a final attempt to get that 37 to hit reliably 

 

flew it several times with SFMY yesterday       did okay!        first 10k+ in it ever, but the skies had already been cleared of mean humans by him      ty, btw

You have to get CLOSE for that 37 to do good work.  Yes, it says 600m or whatever, but wait until your at 2/3rds of that before letting it rip. 



wylleEcoyote #6 Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:35 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 8730 battles
  • 1,272
  • [ALAS] ALAS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012
 People say the BV 203 flies like an Me 410

Seemed legit to me so i went with it.

I even went so far as to use my Me 410 crew; Charlotte von Staufen and her trusty tail gunner Werner Hahm, because premium planes can do that. 
Not gonna lie that combined +70% to detection range means i can see heavy ADA or bombers from two cap zones away.
And I can hit them from the far side of a cap zone, thanks the the mk 103 cannons. 
So I use a gunsight and long barrels.
The result: There really is no hiding from this plane. 

Me 410's do their best when able to manage energy properly 
So with that in mind i gave the BV 203 a booster and polished skin.

Spoiler

Which means that you can run but you will just die tired. 

Even in tier 9, as often as not.

After flying for an hour of battle time ...

Spoiler

I wind up having a 5 to 1 Kill ratio.  
with the current personal  best in points being 15,410.   
and i am almost at the half way mark for specialization
Which is petty good, i think. 

Fair disclosure: Your Mileage Might Vary
these results are after 122 hours and 41 minutes spent flying other german heavies.
75 of those hours were in tier 8 thus the tester was very familiar with both the plane and its environment. 
 

Edited by wylleEcoyote, 24 January 2021 - 06:38 PM.

Fair warning. My success rate at speculative guesswork is on par with my WinRate. Hit or Miss.
 I start on the right track and then sometimes make a weird left turn and get lost in the weeds ... 

Specialist Planes earned: Japan, USA, UK, Germany, USSR, Europe
Light Fighters:  Ar 68/80, Bf 109 B/E/E-3/F/G, Fw 159, He 51/100 D-1/112, Ho 229, Me 209 A/ v4/ P.1092/1101, Spit.V DB605​, Ta 152 
Ki-5/8/10/27/43-I/43-II, A4N, A5M, A6M1/2/3, Hurricane Ia, Bristol 146, Spitfire Vb IM, DH.100 F1, I-17Yak-1MiG-3
P-23/36/36C/39N-1/40, XP-31/36F/55, Hawk 75M, Model 81A-1, , P-51A, XF15C

MultiRole Fighters: Type 91, P-12/26/35/43, XP-44, P-47B, F11C-2, F4F/U-1, 
TyphoonAr 65, Fw 190 A-1/5/D, BV P.210/212.03, I-5/15/16(e)(l)

Heavy Fighters: P-38 F/J, XP-58/75P-82 B, Beaufighter/ VAo 192, Fw 57, Bf 110 B/C-6/E, Me 410, Bf 109 Z, Do 335 A-1, BV P.203, Me 262, Tu-1, SE 100,

Attack Aircraft: BSh-2, All zeGermans, Wirraway
Bombers: B-17 G, Do 17 Z / 217 M, He 111 H2, Ju 288 C, Pe-2 

 


wylleEcoyote #7 Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:03 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 8730 battles
  • 1,272
  • [ALAS] ALAS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Posttrikke, on 24 January 2021 - 11:16 AM, said:

    i'm currently devoting training room time to the 38J, in a final attempt to get that 37 to hit reliably 

 

flew it several times with SFMY yesterday       did okay!        


THIS is the joy of the Chain lightning. The XP-58 already flies pretty much just like the other lightnings in lower tiers.
The primary difference being that in tier 8 the chain lighting is NOT the fastest plane in the sky. so one has to factor that in. 
Also those 37mm cannons are tricky to get used to.
But they do smash ALL of the things once you get "dialed in" to using them (over the course of 2-5 battles of warming up in a credit printing teir 8 premium machine)
using a pilot with Marksman II and a good set of Long barrels really speeds this process along. 

The really NICE thing about this process is that once you are dialed in you can immediately hop into a either P-38 in the tech tree and everything translates perfectly.
The cannon on the F/J is the exact same one as the 4 you get on the 58. Only it is even more accurate due to its centerline position.
And as a bonus the cannon and the 4x HMG all have the same range and ballistics in game.
so aim at the target like you were aiming the 58's cannons and everything on the 38 will still hit. 

As for flight handling once again a perfect duplication of what the 58 felt like.
Only with the added bonus of the 38's being the fastest machines (with only one exception off the top of my head) with the largest altitude bands for their respective tiers.       


Fair warning. My success rate at speculative guesswork is on par with my WinRate. Hit or Miss.
 I start on the right track and then sometimes make a weird left turn and get lost in the weeds ... 

Specialist Planes earned: Japan, USA, UK, Germany, USSR, Europe
Light Fighters:  Ar 68/80, Bf 109 B/E/E-3/F/G, Fw 159, He 51/100 D-1/112, Ho 229, Me 209 A/ v4/ P.1092/1101, Spit.V DB605​, Ta 152 
Ki-5/8/10/27/43-I/43-II, A4N, A5M, A6M1/2/3, Hurricane Ia, Bristol 146, Spitfire Vb IM, DH.100 F1, I-17Yak-1MiG-3
P-23/36/36C/39N-1/40, XP-31/36F/55, Hawk 75M, Model 81A-1, , P-51A, XF15C

MultiRole Fighters: Type 91, P-12/26/35/43, XP-44, P-47B, F11C-2, F4F/U-1, 
TyphoonAr 65, Fw 190 A-1/5/D, BV P.210/212.03, I-5/15/16(e)(l)

Heavy Fighters: P-38 F/J, XP-58/75P-82 B, Beaufighter/ VAo 192, Fw 57, Bf 110 B/C-6/E, Me 410, Bf 109 Z, Do 335 A-1, BV P.203, Me 262, Tu-1, SE 100,

Attack Aircraft: BSh-2, All zeGermans, Wirraway
Bombers: B-17 G, Do 17 Z / 217 M, He 111 H2, Ju 288 C, Pe-2 

 


trikke #8 Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:42 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 5302 battles
  • 5,159
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 24 January 2021 - 01:28 PM, said:

You have to get CLOSE for that 37 to do good work.  Yes, it says 600m or whatever, but wait until your at 2/3rds of that before letting it rip. 

 

that is the best tip ever!       i'm so used to long range guns        i will print this out so i can remember        just push my ugly mug right in their faces!

 

ty, wylie!     more great tips!        i'm excited to add the xp-58 and J back into my mix of 'each session' planes

 

but i would kiss a horse on the mouth for the opportunity to fit 20mms to all of the p-38 variants       

 

WG, are you listening?       you could sell a boatload of them        just like you did the Beau V       

 

and just like the V, all you have to do is just fiddle with the art and stats       and you're done       watch the USDs roll in

 

 

oooooo    wouldn't the Spits complain about the p-38 cancer!


Edited by trikke, 24 January 2021 - 09:58 PM.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

CorvusCorvax #9 Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:59 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 5233 battles
  • 6,034
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 24 January 2021 - 06:35 PM, said:

 People say the BV 203 flies like an Me 410

Seemed legit to me so i went with it.

I even went so far as to use my Me 410 crew; Charlotte von Staufen and her trusty tail gunner Werner Hahm, because premium planes can do that. 
Not gonna lie that combined +70% to detection range means i can see heavy ADA or bombers from two cap zones away.
And I can hit them from the far side of a cap zone, thanks the the mk 103 cannons. 
So I use a gunsight and long barrels.
The result: There really is no hiding from this plane. 

Me 410's do their best when able to manage energy properly 
So with that in mind i gave the BV 203 a booster and polished skin.

Spoiler

Which means that you can run but you will just die tired. 

Even in tier 9, as often as not.

After flying for an hour of battle time ...

Spoiler

I wind up having a 5 to 1 Kill ratio.  
with the current personal  best in points being 15,410.   
and i am almost at the half way mark for specialization
Which is petty good, i think. 

Fair disclosure: Your Mileage Might Vary
these results are after 122 hours and 41 minutes spent flying other german heavies.
75 of those hours were in tier 8 thus the tester was very familiar with both the plane and its environment. 
 

Mr. Coyote, super-genius, I remember way back when....

 

When this plane first came out, I bought it, because German heavy fighter.

 

In the course of flying it for the first couple of battles, the gun arrangement gave me the Me-410 feels, but it slowly dawned that this plane flies that way too.  I came back to the forum and reported my feels and was given some guff about how much (little) I had flown the plane, plus my overall win rate, blah, blah, blah.  I will make another observation, again.  This games flight physics are not nuanced.  You can get a pretty good idea of how a plane flies in one battle.  If you're clever, you can also find out a plane's dominant soft stats in a battle or two.

 

Your observation on equipment and pilot choice is interesting.  I might spend some tokens and switch around the equipment, and will try Charlotte.  My pilot of choice has MMII on him, but I might try her, too.

 

Since she can see bombers two caps over and all....

 

:)






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users