so, just started playing this and well that was actually fun!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

TL_Warlord_Roff #1 Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:54 AM

Airman Basic

• 8 battles

1.   Discovered my trusty old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro works just fine with this game.

2.   Joystick play has it all over mouse play.. dear god I felt like I was pounding pigeons in the park.

3. Only fought 2 battles but easily pulled 10k plus points per fight..first fight make 4k more than the next player, 2nd fight punched 6k more than the next highest player 1st was a loss, 2nd was a win. made 10 kills in each of the 2 fights.

4.  Reminds me a lot of playing Fighter Ace on the old Microsoft Zone.  Same sort of free flowing combat.

The rest I'll figure out as I go along but nice to know I still know how to dog fight like a son of an hawk.  For those that had the misfortune of getting me on their tail worry not.  You will get avenged I promise...someone bound to slap me out of the air!

Warlord sends

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff, 10 January 2021 - 02:55 AM.

Dru83 #2 Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:29 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5292 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Hey Warlord, welcome!

You'll find there's plenty of people around here in both the joystick and the mousekeyteer camps. As for me, give me a mouse and keyboard any day. You've already taken the most important step, which is hanging out on the forums, there are plenty of helpful threads around here. Don't hesitate to ask for help. The rules of Conquest mode can be a little confusing at first, do your best to research all the ins and outs of the game.

Don't try to move up one plane line as fast as possible, there are a few skill walls in the game where the game play changes completely. Tier 4 is where the planes start to have distinctly different abilities and personalities and tier 5 is where things start to get really serious. It takes a lot of flying at lower levels to get ready to advance past tier 4 and 5, so don't rush. Instead, try as many plane lines as possible to see what style works best for you before you move past tier 4.

The two keys to survival in this game are knowing the abilities of your plane and your enemies' planes and maintaining awareness using the maps and looking around. Be aware both of where the enemy planes are around you and which areas they are attacking on the map, so you can counter them before they take over.

Remeber, personal points aren't everything in this game... you can easily get 14k+ personal points and lose if you only defend one area. The trick is to be aware of which areas need to be defended and which areas can be easily attacked. A common thing is for everyone to all attack the center area, but you would have more success attacking an undefended area on the outer edge of the map. Anyway, welcome, keep your eye to the sky and watch your six!

Corsair4790805 #3 Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:20 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1418 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

Welcome to the game Warlord!

I've been playing since August or thereabouts, and you'll find a wealth of information in the forums.  There are many experienced players here who are happy to answer questions and give guidance.

Definitely learn and understand how to capture or flip sectors - as Dru83 mentioned, you can have a high personal score and still lose the game because the other team got more points from capturing and holding sectors.   There's a recent thread here - http://forum.worldof...apturing-zones/ - that talks about this.

As others have said or will say, don't climb tiers too quickly.   Get to learn the fundamentals of the game in the lower tiers.  I've have about 1300 battles and I'm still primarily in Tier 5 and learn new stuff just about every day.

Don't forget to train your pilots - the skills they can learn will help in higher tiers.   Also, if you transfer a pilot to another aircraft, don't forget they need to be retrained (either 50% for no cost, 90% for 100,000 silver or 400 gold for 100%).   They'll suffer a skills penalty (25% at 90% proficient) until they reach 100% proficiency, and experience earned will go towards their proficiency and not new skills until they're 100%.

Definitely try out the different lines of aircraft, both nations and type.  I didn't start playing with Ground Attack and Bombers until recently, and now I'm playing catch up and taking a beating doing so.  Which is not to say I don't take beatings regularly otherwise....I do.

The community here is great, and I would recommend considering joining a clan, as you can get a lot of advice and tips and tricks from your clan mates, and it can sometimes be easier to find someone to flight with from within your clan.

I would also recommend taking the time to specialize your planes once all the upgrades are done.   Specialization gives you the opportunity to add equipment that improves various aspects of the aircraft, and this equipment can be enhanced and calibrated via silver and materials - and you get some materials from every battle you win.

I look forward to seeing you in the skies - best of luck :)

TL_Warlord_Roff #4 Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:42 PM

Airman Basic

• 8 battles
I've been playing WOWS for the last several years and it finally getting stale and dumb for me so yea time for the sister game..I will definitely take the advice of "Take yer freak'n time son!"  I'm one of then old ancient guys that player Wing Commander and Sierra's Red Baron and even a touch of Microprose Falcon.. None of this Falcon 2, or 4 or allied forces... just Falcon.  So the flying part I almost don't even need to think about, but yes I am seeing there is a operational element to the game.. and oh surprise surprise.. it's not exactly simple..I did try some game play way back.. I may just go with my alt account for this game, that way I'll have a totally fresh starts.   If you see a "deadeye_pete" (I know I know, pretentious.. whaddya expect, imma fighter pilot!) that'll be me on the alt account.-

crzyhawk #5 Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6657 battles
  • [3D_MI] 3D_MI
welcome to planes...I ditched ships a long time ago, the changes are too stupid over there.

USA: XP31; F11C-2; YP29; F2A-1; XF4F-3; P36C; Hawk 81A1; P38F; XFL; XF4U-1; P39N; XP55; P-47B; F4U1,4; P51H  

UK: Goldfinch; Skua; Type 224; Wirraway; Bristol 146; Blenheim F; Fantome; Hurricane I, II, IId; Beaufighter, V, ; Mosquito; Boomerang; Venom; Spit I, Ia, V, Vb, IX, XIV; Tornado; Mustang I, Ia; Tempest; Seafang; Vampire |   

| Germany: FW56; AR67; Do17Z7; BF109B, E, E-3, F, G; Bf110B; Me209v4; Spit V DB605, FW190A5   | Japan: Ki5, 61, 84, 88; A6M1, 3, A7M; | 

ROC: Hawk II; Ki43c; Tomahawk IIb; Mosquito 26; P51K | EU: S510; B534; S199 | VVS: LaGG 3(4); P40M105; Yak7M82, 1, 1M, 3; La5

trikke #6 Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:06 PM

Major

• 5213 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

welcome, Roff(pete)!

can't emphasize enough what others have mentioned...     

do not rush up the tiers, each tier's planes teach lessons needed for the next tier       

learn to fly all the classes, even the types of planes you've not familiar with       learn to fly them so that you can learn how to kill them safely 

most important tip?      have fun flying, even if you're getting beat a lot      it's a difficult, frustrating game at first, more than either tanks or ships     but it gets better 

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

SkyWolf__WM #7 Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:28 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 15460 battles

View PostTL_Warlord_Roff, on 09 January 2021 - 09:54 PM, said:

1.   Discovered my trusty old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro works just fine with this game.

"Old", "Logitech 3D Pro" and "works" cannot be used together in the same sentence.      :sceptic:

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

_Bronze_ #8 Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

Senior Airman

• 10 battles

View PostTL_Warlord_Roff, on 09 January 2021 - 09:54 PM, said:

For those that had the misfortune of getting me on their tail worry not.  You will get avenged I promise...someone bound to slap me out of the air!

Definitely, since they were most likely bots you shot down.  All hail our Robot Overlords!

ItsSubmersible #9 Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:20 AM

Senior Airman

• 260 battles

View PostTL_Warlord_Roff, on 10 January 2021 - 09:42 AM, said:

I've been playing WOWS for the last several years and it finally getting stale and dumb for me so yea time for the sister game..I will definitely take the advice of "Take yer freak'n time son!"  I'm one of then old ancient guys that player Wing Commander and Sierra's Red Baron and even a touch of Microprose Falcon.. None of this Falcon 2, or 4 or allied forces... just Falcon.  So the flying part I almost don't even need to think about, but yes I am seeing there is a operational element to the game.. and oh surprise surprise.. it's not exactly simple..I did try some game play way back.. I may just go with my alt account for this game, that way I'll have a totally fresh starts.   If you see a "deadeye_pete" (I know I know, pretentious.. whaddya expect, imma fighter pilot!) that'll be me on the alt account.-

Same. Just now playing around with t3-4 range of planes. Trying them all and trying not to be a lawn dart in Ground Attack planes. Crates keep giving me T5's so the temptation is there!

CorvusCorvax #10 Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:41 AM

Major

• 5154 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostItsSubmersible, on 13 January 2021 - 02:20 AM, said:

Same. Just now playing around with t3-4 range of planes. Trying them all and trying not to be a lawn dart in Ground Attack planes. Crates keep giving me T5's so the temptation is there!

Which T5 planes did you get?  The Me-209V4 is hard to fly unless you understand its limitations.  The XFL-1, however, is much easier.  The XP-77 is fun.  Spit Ia is fun, as is the Hurricane Ia.

ItsSubmersible #11 Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:46 AM

Senior Airman

• 260 battles

ME210 (I actually did ok in this when testing it out)

Boomerang (so-so when testing)

HE100d1 (Not good, like how it handles, but either crap guns or crap pilot)

Hurricane IId (Did ok in this one)

(Ok is defined as not being dead last and contributing nothing! I usually ended up in the middle/upper half of the team, except for the HE100 that I just can't make work)

Edited by ItsSubmersible, 13 January 2021 - 02:48 AM.

crzyhawk #12 Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6657 battles
  • [3D_MI] 3D_MI
The Boomerang is excellent when you are comfortable enough to fight in loops rather than circles.  If you use the brakes while climbing, your nose snaps around and you can really surprise people.

USA: XP31; F11C-2; YP29; F2A-1; XF4F-3; P36C; Hawk 81A1; P38F; XFL; XF4U-1; P39N; XP55; P-47B; F4U1,4; P51H  

UK: Goldfinch; Skua; Type 224; Wirraway; Bristol 146; Blenheim F; Fantome; Hurricane I, II, IId; Beaufighter, V, ; Mosquito; Boomerang; Venom; Spit I, Ia, V, Vb, IX, XIV; Tornado; Mustang I, Ia; Tempest; Seafang; Vampire |   

| Germany: FW56; AR67; Do17Z7; BF109B, E, E-3, F, G; Bf110B; Me209v4; Spit V DB605, FW190A5   | Japan: Ki5, 61, 84, 88; A6M1, 3, A7M; | 

ROC: Hawk II; Ki43c; Tomahawk IIb; Mosquito 26; P51K | EU: S510; B534; S199 | VVS: LaGG 3(4); P40M105; Yak7M82, 1, 1M, 3; La5

ItsSubmersible #13 Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:42 AM

Senior Airman

• 260 battles

View Postcrzyhawk, on 12 January 2021 - 10:02 PM, said:

The Boomerang is excellent when you are comfortable enough to fight in loops rather than circles.  If you use the brakes while climbing, your nose snaps around and you can really surprise people.

Going to try this out next time up in it. Thx!

CorvusCorvax #14 Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:46 AM

Major

• 5154 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostItsSubmersible, on 13 January 2021 - 02:46 AM, said:

ME210 (I actually did ok in this when testing it out)

Boomerang (so-so when testing)

HE100d1 (Not good, like how it handles, but either crap guns or crap pilot)

Hurricane IId (Did ok in this one)

(Ok is defined as not being dead last and contributing nothing! I usually ended up in the middle/upper half of the team, except for the HE100 that I just can't make work)

YES!

The Me-210 is excellent - especially the guns.  Having an internal bombload really helps with speed penalties - you don't have any.  And they do decent work on ground targets.

The He-100 is weird.  Fast, good altitude, and turny.  But those guns, whew.  They take forever and a day to shoot anything down.

The Hurricane IID is hilarious in the double-DERP of those 40mm cannon.

The Boomerang is my least favorite of these, because it is too slow for my playstyle.  But the vertical turning thing is pretty hilarious.  You'll surprise everyone with that trick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users