How To Judge Success?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Corsair4790805 #1 Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:27 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1405 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

This is probably a question with a very subjective answer, but I've been trying to figure out how to judge my success/skill level in this game.   Initially I was thinking W/L ratio, but I'm not so sure that's an indicator (or at least, not THE indicator).  What other data points would be good indicators?   A certain level of personal points per battle?  Making a certain grade for aircraft type every battle?  Kills per battle for fighter types?  Ground target  destruction for attack types?

Figuring this out, if there is an answer, would help me determine when I'm ready to move up a tier.   I'm looking forward to getting to higher tiers, but I'm not in a hurry to get there, as I believe each tier should serve as something of a building block for the next tier.

At the end of the day, it's a game and the enjoyment of the game is the most important part (for me), but if anyone has suggestions or ideas on how I can self-gauge my skills/(in)competence, I'd love to hear them.  

HoujuuNue #2 Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10424 battles
  • [PZMOE] PZMOE
Sectors captured and your ability to kill enemy planes without dying

Captain_Underpants53 #3 Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:09 AM

Major

• 34880 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
If you are consistently coming in (win or lose) in the top three on your team.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

losttwo #4 Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:48 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 10929 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

What do you consider a successful battle.

My opinion is scoring in the number 1 position with a win.

Doesn't matter what you are flying.

Captain_Rownd #5 Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:19 AM

First Lieutenant

• 4153 battles

There's nothing magical that happens between Tiers.  Once you've gone through the growing pains of the rapidly diverging capabilities of planes in Tiers 5 & 6 it's just a matter of grinding your way through whatever interests you after that. 

Favorites:

SPAD S.510:: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: Caudron C.714 :: Me 329 :: MiG-9

Captain_Underpants53 #6 Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:41 AM

Major

• 34880 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
I think when the jets start showing up in the higher tiers there is an adjustment to be made if, for nothing more, the sheer speed of the battle.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

WhoaBlackBetty #7 Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:19 AM

First Lieutenant

• 4254 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 27 November 2020 - 07:19 PM, said:

There's nothing magical that happens between Tiers.  Once you've gone through the growing pains of the rapidly diverging capabilities of planes in Tiers 5 & 6 it's just a matter of grinding your way through whatever interests you after that. 

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 27 November 2020 - 07:41 PM, said:

I think when the jets start showing up in the higher tiers there is an adjustment to be made if, for nothing more, the sheer speed of the battle.

As you progress, you will face more experienced players.  The planes change like they change, but the skills developed in the humans you face as you go up tiers will generally get better, that will change more than the planes change sometimes.  Staying in a tier until you feel you are ready to move up will still make you face veterans to learn from, but fewer the lower the tier.

I have no idea how to answer your question ..... perfectly.  I do feel that win rate can be an important indicator depending on what you fly.  There are planes that are not made to "carry". There are planes that are made for one  thing only (GAAs, bombers, some multi roles, some low alt turnie burnies with no armor, etc...)  Some of these planes you look at aerial damage, ground damage only (you can get a Hero of The Skies in a GAA and still lose too many times so you look at ground damage and sectors taken), some you look just at sectors taken, etc...  Therefore, consider the plane you are flying, what it is supposed to do, and do that, keeping in mind sector taking and holding must be done to win.

And that's my two cents.  Mostly, just have fun flying a plane the way it is supposed to be flown.

WBB

De-arse your bunks! Man the planes! The Fokkers are in sight! BAM ba LAMMM!

Also: J311yfish: " 'Seal clubbing' and 'head hunting' are an inseparable part of the competitive nature of the game, and both provide a valuable service."

hoom #8 Posted 28 November 2020 - 02:20 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12979 battles

I have a rough guideline of 60% winrate, frequently hitting 10k PP & something like 4.5 kills/sortie as a min target.

There's a bunch of caveats but if you're hitting something like that to start with you're doing ok IMO.

Looking for aid/ideas is a key indicator also.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Viper_7242NC #9 Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 15181 battles
  • [VIPR3] VIPR3

View PostCorsair4790805, on 27 November 2020 - 06:27 PM, said:

At the end of the day, it's a game and the enjoyment of the game is the most important part (for me), but if anyone has suggestions or ideas on how I can self-gauge my skills/(in)competence, I'd love to hear them.  

I think you defined success. Really, I've been playing a long time. I still enjoy the game and I don't have a great win rate. 

Han shot first.

SpiritFoxMY #10 Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:21 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6255 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

When I was a newbie, I set PP goals for myself - 5k, 7k, 10k. After that I kinda realized that the number of PP you had could be negatively affected by how successful you are (since short games mean less PP all around)

These days my only measure of how good I've done is whether I won and if I did, how much did I contribute. High capture points is probably a decent enough stat measure but sometimes its as subjective as killing the right plane at the right place at the right time and there's no measure for that.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Captain_Rownd #11 Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:32 AM

First Lieutenant

• 4153 battles

View PostWhoaBlackBetty, on 27 November 2020 - 04:19 PM, said:

As you progress, you will face more experienced players.  The planes change like they change, but the skills developed in the humans you face as you go up tiers will generally get better, that will change more than the planes change sometimes.  Staying in a tier until you feel you are ready to move up will still make you face veterans to learn from, but fewer the lower the tier.

All Tiers have the same players.  Tier 1 is the only exception.  Tier has nothing to do with "skill", individual or average or anything.  

Favorites:

SPAD S.510:: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: Caudron C.714 :: Me 329 :: MiG-9

SenatorTH #12 Posted 28 November 2020 - 06:35 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6584 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Wondering why no one mentioned the existing parameter "effectiveness"? And, btw, it means what it says :D

Master_Cylinder #13 Posted 28 November 2020 - 10:37 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 200 battles
  • [FK] FK

View PostCorsair4790805, on 27 November 2020 - 11:27 PM, said:

This is probably a question with a very subjective answer, but I've been trying to figure out how to judge my success/skill level in this game.   Initially I was thinking W/L ratio, but I'm not so sure that's an indicator (or at least, not THE indicator).  What other data points would be good indicators?   A certain level of personal points per battle?  Making a certain grade for aircraft type every battle?  Kills per battle for fighter types?  Ground target  destruction for attack types?

Figuring this out, if there is an answer, would help me determine when I'm ready to move up a tier.   I'm looking forward to getting to higher tiers, but I'm not in a hurry to get there, as I believe each tier should serve as something of a building block for the next tier.

long term success is where you stand in the Hall Of Shame, for me it is not how successfull I am but rather how bad I suck

I'm hungry, anybody have a cat???

Zigfreid #14 Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 22715 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

WG does it for you with efficiency very good snapshot.

When in hanger go to profile on the right side is efficiency.

15% - 20% average

20% - 25% good

25% - 30% very good

30% - 35%  out standing

35% - >  Hero

Kills, wins, sectors flipped, etc. makes your efficiency go up.

SkyWolf__WM #15 Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:41 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 15389 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Posthoom, on 27 November 2020 - 09:20 PM, said:

I have a rough guideline of 60% winrate, frequently hitting 10k PP & something like 4.5 kills/sortie as a min target.

There's a bunch of caveats but if you're hitting something like that to start with you're doing ok IMO.

Looking for aid/ideas is a key indicator also.

It's good to know that after playing since Closed Beta I have achieved that classification of "Okay".  :teethhappy:

***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

Captain_Underpants53 #16 Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:06 PM

Major

• 34880 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostZigfreid, on 28 November 2020 - 07:47 AM, said:

WG does it for you with efficiency very good snapshot.

When in hanger go to profile on the right side is efficiency.

15% - 20% average

20% - 25% good

25% - 30% very good

30% - 35%  out standing

35% - >  Hero

Kills, wins, sectors flipped, etc. makes your efficiency go up.

I notice you didn't mention the biggest driver for an efficiency rating, how few times you are killed in battle while also accomplishing the goals assigned to your aircraft (taking sectors, defending sectors, etc.)  So those who mostly fly in a flight, as you do, have somebody to guard and protect them and die with much less frequency.

I also notice you do not reference your collection of efficiency ratings statistics.  Why is that, I wonder?  Could it all be made up out of your own head?

:sceptic:

Edited by Captain_Underpants53, 28 November 2020 - 05:50 PM.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

losttwo #17 Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:30 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 10929 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 28 November 2020 - 12:06 PM, said:

I notice you didn't mention the biggest driver for an efficiency rating, how few times you are killed in battle while also accomplishing the goals assigned to your aircraft (taking sectors, defending sectors, etc.)  So those who mostly fly in a flight, as you do, have somebody to guard and protect them and die with much less frequency.

I also notice you do not reference your collection of efficiency ratings.  Why is that, I wonder?  Could it all be made up out of your own head?

:sceptic:

Ziggie is correct.

You simply go to your hangar and look at your profile.

I think it is like the second block from the bottom that shows your % on each type of plane.

I have no clue how WG establishes proficiency but i am sure it is based on what you do with your type of aircraft.

Sorry to say but if you flight up or are intelligent enough to flight up for most of your games.

Let me change that from intelligent to sociable then you deserve a higher rating.

Personally it is hard for me to walk and chew gum at the same time,

Can you imagine trying to flight and communicate with another person.

Yet look at how everyone would look at you if your rating was in to 30% range with mostly SOLO battles.

Then look at it versus a 30% er flying mostly flighted.

I have seen some really bad flight pairs out their that just lose match after match.

Captain_Underpants53 #18 Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:41 PM

Major

• 34880 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

So where do those statistics come from?  15 to 20 = average?   25 to 30 = very good?  Try and search as much as I can and I can't find these statistics.

Surely it's not made up of whole cloth?

:amazed:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

losttwo #19 Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:22 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 10929 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 28 November 2020 - 02:41 PM, said:

So where do those statistics come from?  15 to 20 = average?   25 to 30 = very good?  Try and search as much as I can and I can't find these statistics.

Surely it's not made up of whole cloth?

:amazed:

Would you rather it read

15% - 20% please uninstall

20% - 25% You just suck

25% - 30% We will let you stick around

30% - 35% Everyone wants to flight with you

35% - >  everyone else might as well go back to hangar you got this,

Use a little bit of common sense here.

The majority of experienced pilots will fall in the 15-20 zone.

Like me for example. Fighter and heavies I am average, at best,

The rest i am still learning.

I do not know if I will ever hit 35% proficiency in ALL the planes but it is ALL the planes not just the OP planes.

You want higher proficiency then fly everything better than the rest and don't die doing it.

Where does Wargaming have the labels listed ? I do not know but really who cares.

Proficiency is rated in the game profile and in the seperate Player Profile page.

You know those bars going across the screen. Yeah, them things.

WhoaBlackBetty #20 Posted 28 November 2020 - 08:37 PM

First Lieutenant

• 4254 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 27 November 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

All Tiers have the same players.  Tier 1 is the only exception.  Tier has nothing to do with "skill", individual or average or anything.  

I simply find that totally incorrect, and has been since 1.4.

You will find vets down low, but the higher in tiers you climb, the higher little by little, the more experience and generally skills that will be evident. It just makes sense, and that is what I have found.  And again, I used the word generally.

You used "all", and "only", and "nothing", and "anything".  Those words explain everything, therefore explain nothing, and make little to no sense.

WBB

Edited by WhoaBlackBetty, 28 November 2020 - 08:39 PM.

De-arse your bunks! Man the planes! The Fokkers are in sight! BAM ba LAMMM!

Also: J311yfish: " 'Seal clubbing' and 'head hunting' are an inseparable part of the competitive nature of the game, and both provide a valuable service."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users