It's way past time to remove the consumable items that cost gold.

gold consumables

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Reitousair #21 Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:31 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 13466 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

I agree with OP's sentiment but I disagree with OP's reasoning.

Gold consumables are generally a waste of gold, compared to other purchases that can be made. I take serious issue with gold-only consumables as they provide straight-up advantages over silver consumables and can only be obtained for free in extremely limited quantities, or you pay real money to purchase them.

Here's a Picture Comparing Standard Consumables to Their Premium Counterparts

Having no way to regularly and consistently obtain them for credits annoys me because they are a further way to optimize your plane, except they're locked behind a paywall or extremely inconsistent methods.  You can only earn 3 of a premium consumable in a weekly supply crate, tops, ordnance has a slight chance of 5. It's extraordinarily rare to earn more than 1000 gold which only gives you 8 battles of full premium consumables. What's worse is that some of them can provide a massive competitive edge which you just can't get unless you run said premium consumables, and again, paywall/inconsistent method to obtain these competitive consumables.

Before the whole "just outplay the guy using premium consumables" argument is thrown at me. Yes, you can win against people using premium consumables without even using consumables. But you can also win against a specialized Vampire in your stock Typhoon if the skill difference is large enough. This does not discard the fact that there is an imbalance of power between the two.

As anecdotal experience, I only run silver consumables myself but have been in situations where the lack of the faster recharge time has cost me the game. I have also experimented with using full sets of premium consumables or using specific premium consumables; I tend to see my performances improve. I also have a friend who pretty much always uses premium engine cooling due to the 30s faster recharge allowing him to make riskier plays more often.

There was also a time where premium cooling allowed certain non-bomber aircraft have literally infinite boost

So, in conclusion: it would be good if gold-only consumables were changed to be purchasable using gold or credits. The advantages they provide aren't always game-changing, but the current methods of obtaining them are less than ideal if people want to perform at their absolute best. Particularly so because gold has so many better options and thus has a tendency to make purchasing premium consumables unappealing.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Premium plane reviews can be found here. Special project equipment spreadsheet can be found here.

hoom #22 Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:56 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12152 battles

Block Quote

There was also a time where premium cooling allowed certain non-bomber aircraft have literally infinite boost

Ooh, is that the infamous unlimited boost glitch?

Gold only consumables is a breach of the Free-to-Win manifesto

https://www.gamasutr...to_the_curb.php

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

trikke #23 Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:19 PM

Captain

• 4926 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

ty, Reito      that should be stickied somehow        i'd never heard 50% of all of that stuff        or i don't remember hearing it        one or the other

leets... that's why they're different from the rest of us          knowledge sponges

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users