Best plane per tier and best tier overall?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

crzyhawk #21 Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 8416 battles
  • [3D_MI] 3D_MI

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 28 May 2020 - 05:37 PM, said:

Ho Riders

:D

niiiiice

Maqor #22 Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:16 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4233 battles
  • [LNSTR] LNSTR

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 28 May 2020 - 06:43 PM, said:

The question of "best plane per tier" is too broad and unanswerable question. There are just too many factors that go into describing "the best". Not all of the factors are known, and the hierarchy of which are most import is not agreed upon. However, I can answer a more specific question.

To the best of my knowledge, the two aircraft with the most options in how they approach the fight for T6 are:
The P-51A and the I-21.

This chart is a compact visualization of the strengths of the aircraft against a particular set of aircraft.

The scale is the normalized percent of a plane's stats compared to all of the PvP planes of T6 (this chart excludes bombers and GA).

At a glance you can see many things about the two aircraft. They are generally very similar to eachother. They have decent zoom and turning performance, but are weak on health and firepower. Let's compare the P51 to the Spitfire.

Making your own spider charts to compare planes? Nice.

Favorites:

Heavy Fighters: P.1056, Ki-93, Bf109Z, XP-58, XP-50, P-38J, Mosquito26, Beaufighter, SE100, P-38F, Bf110E, Ki-45, Beaufighter5, Bf110B, BlenheimF, Multiroles: P-47B, Tempest, Tornado, IL-1, F4U-1, S-199, Hurricane 2, LaGG-3(4), Fighters: La-9, Yak-3RD, Vampire, Me209A, Ki-88, Mustang1A, I-210, P-51A, XP-55, A6M3 exp, XF4U-1, XF4F-3, Bf109B, 2PA, Hurricane 1A, GAA/Bombers: A-26B, Pe2M82, IL-2mod, IL-2, Me329, He111, IL-20

SpiritFoxMY #23 Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:33 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7902 battles
  • [CWM] CWM

So firstly, I am going to start out my statement by outlining two parameters - when judging best "per tier", I look at two things - how well a plane does in its tier and against planes one tier higher. I do NOT look at skill floor (how easy a plane is to fly) and I do not consider very specific "hard counters" unless they are prevalent enough to make life difficult. Those caveats done:

Tier II  :

The Ar.67 is the best plane you can get at this tier mostly because agility and turn time scale better than speed (if we were considering just "in-tier, I'd pick the Ao192). The Ar67 is probably the most agile and maneuverable plane in tier II - III, even taking the Japanese into account. The problem is that its rather hard to carry a game in on account of its low speed even in-tier. Overall its a bit of a wash but its probably the best all-round plane at tier II

Tier III : 

I personally prefer the P.38 Wilk BUT if I were completely honest, the prize should go to the Fw57 as best in-tier on account of its absolutely blistering firepower. It has a turret that is not even rivaled until tier 5 (and even then it is considered exceptionally powerful at tier 5). It has double 20mms which is also unmatched at its tier and is highly competitive at tier 4. Its speed is good and it has a side order of bombs it can use at the start of the game to snatch heavy caps. Also its altitude allows it to avoid anything that can directly threaten it for the most part even at tier 4. Its main predator is the tier 4 Heavy the Blenheim F which can catch it and outmaneuver it but even then, its 20mm stinger can put down pain on the Blenheim pilot who cannot even match firepower of that magnitude until he's elite. And how many Blenheim F's are there floating around anyway? A true seal club.

Tier IV :

The Bf-110 C-6 is by far the best tier 4 solely on account that it is also the only tier 4 that can compete against the monstrosities that inhabit tier 5. Every other tier 4 gets BTFO'd by tier 5. The 109B, best fighter at tier 4, gets absolutely WRECKED by the Spitfire I. The P-38F straight up outspeeds, outclimbs, outmaneuvers and outguns every other tier 4 heavy. But the C-6 has the ultimate equalizer in a 30mm MK101 with up to 1km range and the ability to smack the [edited] out of every tier 5 it meets - even the heavies. Because all these fany-pants tier 5s may be able to outperform you but they cannot outperform boolet.

Tier V :

The P-38F is the absolute king of tier 5 because its basically a tier 6 - but at tier 5. Its got an absolutely murderous combination of speed, agility and firepower. Its 37mm knocks the crap out of anything it hits and you can then clean up with quad 50s. There is nothing at tier 5 that can catch it and precious few at tier 6. Fully upgraded, this thing can defeat almost every plane at tier 6 as well. Couple that with insane map control from its sheer speed and altitude and you have a plane that's frankly oppressively powerful in-tier and exceptionally dangerous at tier 6. If you ever want to know why split-tiers are a thing, this plane is the reason

Tier VI :

A close fight between the Ki-102 and Me-410 but the 102 wins it for the same reason the Ar67 wins at tier 2 - turn time and agility simply scale better. Like the P-38F, the Ki-102 is oppressively powerful at tier 6. It has the speed to roam (though not as much as the P-38F), it has the altitude to react to any threat and the massive honkin' firepower to do things about it. The plane's biggest weakness is its size and it can get absolutely wrecked by the P-38J but... how many P-38Js do you see floating around? It lacks acceleration in a boost and is slow for a heavy, but that still makes it faster than lights and it has the boost pool to sustain its boost speed for quite a while. Dangerous against tier 7s, almost broken at tier 6. And the tool of choice of no-skill split tier flights.

Tier VII :

Tu-1 is the undeniable winner here as the sole Tier 7 that is bloody dangerous against tier 8s. Its two Yak-9Us in one extremely durable, highly mobile and startlingly agile package. Like the Ki-102 at tier 6, its main weakness is its poor boost acceleration which makes it hard for it to run away in an emergency. But if you see someone coming, it has the boost pool to outlast anyone chasing it and the agility to outmaneuver anyone who catches it. Or at least the agility to put some moves in on an unwary pilot. In the right hands it is literally unbeatable at-tier and an incredibly formidable opponent for tier 8s.

Tier VIII :

Tier 8 is a rather hard one. While again I like my Horten, I actually think that the Vampire is the dominant plane at tier 8 - again because agility scales better than speed and the Horten relies on pure speed while the Vampire relies on agility AND speed. Its acceleration is insane, its controllabiltiy is UFO levels, its got the same guns as a tier 9 and it can out-turn most of them to boot. The only limiting factor is your altitude and short boost length. Frankly, all this plane would need to be a tier 9 would be about 400m extra altitude. That's it. Everything else this thing can match or exceed even when its downtiered.

Tier IX :

The Ju-287 is the beginning of the bomber meta and frankly its just silly. It has a turret that hits out to 1km with the firepower of a tier 7 fighter, it has a massive boost advantage, altitude that puts it safely above most fighters, a ridiculous reload and the same bombload as its tier 10 counterpart. Did you know you can get its reload down to 30s with equipment? And you can one-pass mining plants even at tier 10? And the speed and altitude difference between it and its heavy fighter predators is small enough that you easily have 3 - 4 seconds of shooting before he gets into range? This plane is straight up broke and makes flying tier 9 - 10 generally unenjoyable for anyone who isn't in a heavy or a similar bomber. 

Tier X :
The EF-131 is just the Ju-287 but faster. The Su-10 however... its got eight 500kg bombs which makes it more ordnance-efficient than the 287/131. Its got FOUR 20mm tailguns with as much firepower in its [edited]as a tier 10 light fighter has in its nose. With 1km range. On a bomber. Which has over 2000hp. And you can get its bomb reload down to about 54s which is about as much time as it takes to get from one cap to another. And it can one-pass ANY CAP IN THE GAME. Even airfields, which don't have enough ground targets for any other bomber to flip, because the Su-10 has a single 23mm in its nose and a tier 10 fighter strapped to its [edited]. The only games I've suffered in this thing are the ones where all three enemy humans in heavy fighters have focused me down to the exclusion of everyone else. As you can imagine, that left the rest of my team completely free to do what they wanted. Absolutely disgusting plane.

As for which tier is best all around, I would argue its tier 6. Most tier 5 planes remain competitive against tier 6 while most tier 6 planes remain competitive against tier 7s. The only fly in the ointment is really the Ki-102 which is just kinda stupid as is.

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 29 May 2020 - 12:50 AM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

WhoaBlackBetty #24 Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:14 AM

Captain

• 7257 battles
  • [A_C_E] A_C_E
Man you can tell the HF thickies and the turnie burnie jocks.

De-arse your bunks! Man the planes! The Fokkers are in sight! BAM ba LAMMM!
J311yfish: " 'Seal clubbing' and 'head hunting' are an inseparable part of the competitive nature of the game, and both provide a valuable service."

"Fair" is a 4 letter "F" word.                                                                                                                   

KAIM_INVICTUS #25 Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:43 AM

Master Sergeant

• 17056 battles
  • [I57TH] I57TH

Tier 10 - Hawker Hunter (Skip the details :p)

Silence6966 #26 Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:50 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3276 battles
  • [UMMNO] UMMNO

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 28 May 2020 - 04:46 PM, said:

Ah heck with it. Couldn't get the right picture. :P
Just know that the I-210 looks very close to the shape of the P51A

the I 210 gets a lot of hate but I did pretty well in it, but its guns were pretty annoyingly weak, but better than the p51.

If at first you don't succeed, give up loser, you suck. or man up, get better and win

Russian- I-16e, I-17,Yak7m82, Yak3rd, la5, I210, I220 Yak3, yak1m, yak 15, 
Germans-Ar-67, spitv DB605, BF109B, BF109E, BF110e, ME410, BF109z,ME209A,MEP1092
American-F2a1, P36c, P-38f, XP55,
British-Bulldog, venom,Spitfire1,SpitfireV ,SpitfireXIV,Vampire, Attacker, Hurricane1, Tornado, Typhoon, Tempest,
Japanese- Type91,KI431,KI45  KI 61, KI102,
Israeli-S199 best plane ever
international-b-534,

But Corvus says I only fly vampires and spitfires and Corvus knows everything.

Silence6966 #27 Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:58 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3276 battles
  • [UMMNO] UMMNO

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 28 May 2020 - 05:33 PM, said:

So firstly, I am going to start out my statement by outlining two parameters - when judging best "per tier", I look at two things - how well a plane does in its tier and against planes one tier higher. I do NOT look at skill floor (how easy a plane is to fly) and I do not consider very specific "hard counters" unless they are prevalent enough to make life difficult. Those caveats done:

Tier II  :

The Ar.67 is the best plane you can get at this tier mostly because agility and turn time scale better than speed (if we were considering just "in-tier, I'd pick the Ao192). The Ar67 is probably the most agile and maneuverable plane in tier II - III, even taking the Japanese into account. The problem is that its rather hard to carry a game in on account of its low speed even in-tier. Overall its a bit of a wash but its probably the best all-round plane at tier II

Tier III : 

I personally prefer the P.38 Wilk BUT if I were completely honest, the prize should go to the Fw57 as best in-tier on account of its absolutely blistering firepower. It has a turret that is not even rivaled until tier 5 (and even then it is considered exceptionally powerful at tier 5). It has double 20mms which is also unmatched at its tier and is highly competitive at tier 4. Its speed is good and it has a side order of bombs it can use at the start of the game to snatch heavy caps. Also its altitude allows it to avoid anything that can directly threaten it for the most part even at tier 4. Its main predator is the tier 4 Heavy the Blenheim F which can catch it and outmaneuver it but even then, its 20mm stinger can put down pain on the Blenheim pilot who cannot even match firepower of that magnitude until he's elite. And how many Blenheim F's are there floating around anyway? A true seal club.

Tier IV :

The Bf-110 C-6 is by far the best tier 4 solely on account that it is also the only tier 4 that can compete against the monstrosities that inhabit tier 5. Every other tier 4 gets BTFO'd by tier 5. The 109B, best fighter at tier 4, gets absolutely WRECKED by the Spitfire I. The P-38F straight up outspeeds, outclimbs, outmaneuvers and outguns every other tier 4 heavy. But the C-6 has the ultimate equalizer in a 30mm MK101 with up to 1km range and the ability to smack the [edited] out of every tier 5 it meets - even the heavies. Because all these fany-pants tier 5s may be able to outperform you but they cannot outperform boolet.

Tier V :

The P-38F is the absolute king of tier 5 because its basically a tier 6 - but at tier 5. Its got an absolutely murderous combination of speed, agility and firepower. Its 37mm knocks the crap out of anything it hits and you can then clean up with quad 50s. There is nothing at tier 5 that can catch it and precious few at tier 6. Fully upgraded, this thing can defeat almost every plane at tier 6 as well. Couple that with insane map control from its sheer speed and altitude and you have a plane that's frankly oppressively powerful in-tier and exceptionally dangerous at tier 6. If you ever want to know why split-tiers are a thing, this plane is the reason

Tier VI :

A close fight between the Ki-102 and Me-410 but the 102 wins it for the same reason the Ar67 wins at tier 2 - turn time and agility simply scale better. Like the P-38F, the Ki-102 is oppressively powerful at tier 6. It has the speed to roam (though not as much as the P-38F), it has the altitude to react to any threat and the massive honkin' firepower to do things about it. The plane's biggest weakness is its size and it can get absolutely wrecked by the P-38J but... how many P-38Js do you see floating around? It lacks acceleration in a boost and is slow for a heavy, but that still makes it faster than lights and it has the boost pool to sustain its boost speed for quite a while. Dangerous against tier 7s, almost broken at tier 6. And the tool of choice of no-skill split tier flights.

Tier VII :

Tu-1 is the undeniable winner here as the sole Tier 7 that is bloody dangerous against tier 8s. Its two Yak-9Us in one extremely durable, highly mobile and startlingly agile package. Like the Ki-102 at tier 6, its main weakness is its poor boost acceleration which makes it hard for it to run away in an emergency. But if you see someone coming, it has the boost pool to outlast anyone chasing it and the agility to outmaneuver anyone who catches it. Or at least the agility to put some moves in on an unwary pilot. In the right hands it is literally unbeatable at-tier and an incredibly formidable opponent for tier 8s.

Tier VIII :

Tier 8 is a rather hard one. While again I like my Horten, I actually think that the Vampire is the dominant plane at tier 8 - again because agility scales better than speed and the Horten relies on pure speed while the Vampire relies on agility AND speed. Its acceleration is insane, its controllabiltiy is UFO levels, its got the same guns as a tier 9 and it can out-turn most of them to boot. The only limiting factor is your altitude and short boost length. Frankly, all this plane would need to be a tier 9 would be about 400m extra altitude. That's it. Everything else this thing can match or exceed even when its downtiered.

Tier IX :

The Ju-287 is the beginning of the bomber meta and frankly its just silly. It has a turret that hits out to 1km with the firepower of a tier 7 fighter, it has a massive boost advantage, altitude that puts it safely above most fighters, a ridiculous reload and the same bombload as its tier 10 counterpart. Did you know you can get its reload down to 30s with equipment? And you can one-pass mining plants even at tier 10? And the speed and altitude difference between it and its heavy fighter predators is small enough that you easily have 3 - 4 seconds of shooting before he gets into range? This plane is straight up broke and makes flying tier 9 - 10 generally unenjoyable for anyone who isn't in a heavy or a similar bomber. 

Tier X :
The EF-131 is just the Ju-287 but faster. The Su-10 however... its got eight 500kg bombs which makes it more ordnance-efficient than the 287/131. Its got FOUR 20mm tailguns with as much firepower in its [edited]as a tier 10 light fighter has in its nose. With 1km range. On a bomber. Which has over 2000hp. And you can get its bomb reload down to about 54s which is about as much time as it takes to get from one cap to another. And it can one-pass ANY CAP IN THE GAME. Even airfields, which don't have enough ground targets for any other bomber to flip, because the Su-10 has a single 23mm in its nose and a tier 10 fighter strapped to its [edited]. The only games I've suffered in this thing are the ones where all three enemy humans in heavy fighters have focused me down to the exclusion of everyone else. As you can imagine, that left the rest of my team completely free to do what they wanted. Absolutely disgusting plane.

As for which tier is best all around, I would argue its tier 6. Most tier 5 planes remain competitive against tier 6 while most tier 6 planes remain competitive against tier 7s. The only fly in the ointment is really the Ki-102 which is just kinda stupid as is.

i ran out of likes, but none of what you said is arguable really, although I would say that tier 9 the 1092 is pretty damn solid, I kill ef131 and ju287s with it, but yeah those 2 bombers are pretty broken. im gonna look at buying the Tu-1

If at first you don't succeed, give up loser, you suck. or man up, get better and win

Germans-Ar-67, spitv DB605, BF109B, BF109E, BF110e, ME410, BF109z,ME209A,MEP1092
British-Bulldog, venom,Spitfire1,SpitfireV ,SpitfireXIV,Vampire, Attacker, Hurricane1, Tornado, Typhoon, Tempest,
international-b-534,

CorvusCorvax #28 Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:44 PM

Colonel

• 7627 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostWhoaBlackBetty, on 28 May 2020 - 07:56 PM, said:

Not sure about starting arguments with this.  You will probably get a few plane lists, maybe some minor discussion.  Guess you are gonna have to do your personal insult thing.

WBB

When starting arguments is the goal, you know it's gotta be a troll!

SKIP

I might not be King of the Hill, but I am the Prince of Potatoes.

qu33kKC #29 Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:47 PM

First Lieutenant

• 20634 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostSilence6966, on 28 May 2020 - 10:59 PM, said:

the p38 is solid but again, not a hard carry plane unless the game is filled with bombers, then its beastly but if there are Japanese heavies in the game its pretty much a target.

my sides hurt from laughing so hard at just how wrong I consider this statement to be.

The Me 109 B and E are VERY good planes at tier, the P-38 at tier V is beyond good, the Wilk at Tier III is awesome.  (the Fw 57 does work as well, but I like the more nimble p.38)  The Vamp is just broken, and I am not a TnB main or have it spec'd yet.  I'm pretty fond of the Spit DB but not sure if it's "best" at tier 6.  I love my Pancake at tier 8, even post-nerf, but there are a LOT of good planes in tier 8.  I don't have a solid BEST TIER EVAR!, but tier 8 has a great variety of planes that I like to fly.  I struggle to be relevant in a tier X game, so flying Tier IX or X planes isn't something that I do as often as mid-tiers.  I've had some good games in the Banshee, but again, not a lot of other Tier IX planes to compare it with.

losttwo #30 Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:25 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 13712 battles
  • [SS-G1] SS-G1
:popcorn:

hoom #31 Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:24 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 15984 battles

Best tier: T6 as others said already its got a huge amount of historically important & objectively powerful planes, lots of playstyles that are effective.

Best at tier:

T3 The mighty Skua ...I keed I keed, its really not.

P.38 is probably best with its speed, altitude & firepower, plus its EU so can be used to train Pilots in any tree.

Never played Ar80, really don't like its proportions.

Fw 57 I didn't really find all that great, too sluggish & really ugly.

T4 Bf 109B or Blenheim F.

Hurricane I is a lot of fun.

T5 MiG-3/Bf 109 E/SE 100, not sure I can call between them.

I'd rank P-38F a bit below, its performance is superb but can get a bit bogged down with the Zoom part.

P-40, Hurricane II/IID similar 2nd rank but for very different reasons.

T6 I really wanted to make an argument for something else but really can't avoid Ki-102 as objectively best.

So many others that are powerful & fun in their own ways.

T7 Gonna say I-220 or Bf 109 G. Tu-1 is a lot of fun but I think a bit situational to be best.

T8 Vampire, it just is.

There are a couple of planes that can cause it issues if they catch you off-guard.

T9 might be Me 262 HG II? Might be the Gobling. Might be Ju287 it really is hard to compete with a well flown one.

T10 again the bombers are hard to keep up with, likewise the XP-90, ppl also say Me P.1101 but you don't really see them much.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Silence6966 #32 Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3276 battles
  • [UMMNO] UMMNO

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 29 May 2020 - 06:44 AM, said:

When starting arguments is the goal, you know it's gotta be a troll!

SKIP

you would have nothing worthwhile to contribute anyway. 
or TLDR

international-b-534,

Silence6966 #33 Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:06 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3276 battles
  • [UMMNO] UMMNO

View Postqu33kKC, on 29 May 2020 - 06:47 AM, said:

my sides hurt from laughing so hard at just how wrong I consider this statement to be.

The Me 109 B and E are VERY good planes at tier, the P-38 at tier V is beyond good, the Wilk at Tier III is awesome.  (the Fw 57 does work as well, but I like the more nimble p.38)  The Vamp is just broken, and I am not a TnB main or have it spec'd yet.  I'm pretty fond of the Spit DB but not sure if it's "best" at tier 6.  I love my Pancake at tier 8, even post-nerf, but there are a LOT of good planes in tier 8.  I don't have a solid BEST TIER EVAR!, but tier 8 has a great variety of planes that I like to fly.  I struggle to be relevant in a tier X game, so flying Tier IX or X planes isn't something that I do as often as mid-tiers.  I've had some good games in the Banshee, but again, not a lot of other Tier IX planes to compare it with.

fair enough I rarely see p-38s carry in a game where there are 102's unless there are a ton of bombers. they are pretty good though. I think of tier 6 as the best simply because of the variety of planes that can be successful

international-b-534,

Silence6966 #34 Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3276 battles
  • [UMMNO] UMMNO

View Posthoom, on 29 May 2020 - 09:24 AM, said:

Best tier: T6 as others said already its got a huge amount of historically important & objectively powerful planes, lots of playstyles that are effective.

Best at tier:

T3 The mighty Skua ...I keed I keed, its really not.

P.38 is probably best with its speed, altitude & firepower, plus its EU so can be used to train Pilots in any tree.

Never played Ar80, really don't like its proportions.

Fw 57 I didn't really find all that great, too sluggish & really ugly.

T4 Bf 109B or Blenheim F.

Hurricane I is a lot of fun.

T5 MiG-3/Bf 109 E/SE 100, not sure I can call between them.

I'd rank P-38F a bit below, its performance is superb but can get a bit bogged down with the Zoom part.

P-40, Hurricane II/IID similar 2nd rank but for very different reasons.

T6 I really wanted to make an argument for something else but really can't avoid Ki-102 as objectively best.

So many others that are powerful & fun in their own ways.

T7 Gonna say I-220 or Bf 109 G. Tu-1 is a lot of fun but I think a bit situational to be best.

T8 Vampire, it just is.

There are a couple of planes that can cause it issues if they catch you off-guard.

T9 might be Me 262 HG II? Might be the Gobling. Might be Ju287 it really is hard to compete with a well flown one.

T10 again the bombers are hard to keep up with, likewise the XP-90, ppl also say Me P.1101 but you don't really see them much.

is the se100 really that good? I don't see it dominate very often but I see 109s and spits and various others constantly. i might have to get it

international-b-534,

Commodore_Sailracer #35 Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 13283 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL
It would be interesting to see if the bulk of opinions here differ between mouse pilots and joystick pilots.  I fly with a joystick and find some planes are much harder to land shots with than others.  The Vampire, for example, gives me aiming fits with the joystick and never blows anything up before the guns overheat.  It does well, but in the emporer-has-no-clothes sort of way, I don't see the greatness or brokenness that so many others here attribute to it.  The Tempest and Spitfire are more effective in my hands.

qu33kKC #36 Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:53 PM

First Lieutenant

• 20634 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
The SE 100 is not "that good"  It lacks speed and altitude compared to other heavies in tier.  I've had Tier IV Russian bombers run away from it.  (admittedly, human and Spec, but still annoying)   It has a heck of a set of guns in front, and another one sticking out the back, and you can have solid games in it, no doubt about.  But it's not the P-38 by any stretch of the imagination.  At the very least, when you shoot someone down, you can say "hon hon hon!" in your best Outrageous French Accent.  ("everybody knows, French planes is best!")

losttwo #37 Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:57 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 13712 battles
  • [SS-G1] SS-G1

View PostCommodore_Sailracer, on 29 May 2020 - 01:55 PM, said:

It would be interesting to see if the bulk of opinions here differ between mouse pilots and joystick pilots.  I fly with a joystick and find some planes are much harder to land shots with than others.  The Vampire, for example, gives me aiming fits with the joystick and never blows anything up before the guns overheat.  It does well, but in the emporer-has-no-clothes sort of way, I don't see the greatness or brokenness that so many others here attribute to it.  The Tempest and Spitfire are more effective in my hands.

I play with my joystick

vjs1958 #38 Posted 29 May 2020 - 09:39 PM

Master Sergeant

• 8940 battles

Don’t know about best but my current favorites:

T2 - I5-ShKAS for the low tier dailies 

T3 - Bk-534 a rare T3 20mm in a turny plane. I have a soft spot for the I-16e. Got my first ace in open beta with it after 700 battles and first plane I got 6 marks for 2000 kills. 
T4 - Ki-43-I super turny and nice guns. Fragile but with respawning it doesn’t matter to me like it did in 1.x.

T5 - A6M3 another turny big gun platform 

T6 - P-39N-1 I don’t remember how I got it but boy I’m glad I did. Two 50 cals and a 37mm in the nose and four 7.62’s in the wings and a close to 90 maneuverability rating.

T7 - Ki-84 used to be the Yak-9u but I like the better altitude ceiling of the Ki

T8 - P-82B great bomber and GA killer, should cause ground damage from all the spent cartridges pouring out of it. Good credit generator.

T9 - XF-85 for me a blast to play. With a premium account I can generate a million plus credits in 5 or six battles even on losing sides. 
T10 - Yak-30 “To everything, turn ,turn, turn....”

Reitousair #39 Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:03 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 16213 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

I mostly concur with SpiritFoxMY's list but I have a few different reasons and a couple changes on the list.

Tier 2: XP-31; great firepower on top of great performance for the tier, it also gets flaps because sure, why not. It's also a premium plane which means it gets more equipment and consumable slots than its tech tree counterparts which makes for quite the nasty seal clubbing machine.

Tier 3: Ar-80; the sheer performance of the Ar-80 is quite impressive with a great combination of speed and agility. While the guns overheat somewhat quickly they can still put out a good chunk of damage for the tier and the performance allows it to have a good grip on most engagements. For those who frequently participate in community nights it's not an uncommon sight to see me flying at altitudes that planes several tiers higher struggle to reach in the Ar-80. Amusingly it has the same altitude and dive speed of the Fw-57 while having much more speed and a much better climb rate, all while retaining a 10.3s turn time.

Also don't want to kill the Fw-57 turret hype too much but the SB and Ar-2 have better turrets in their noses and they register consecutive hits faster than the slow-firing 20mm of the Fw-57. Also the Fw-57's turret is pretty weak at tier 5, it has the same statline as the 7.92mm MG-81J on the Ju-88A, and I don't think anybody has ever said the Ju-88A has exceptionally powerful defenses. It's a very threatening turret at tier 3 but it's actually not all that powerful once planes start getting a bit more health.

Tier 5: P-38F; very few planes can actually fight a well-flown P-38F, and by very few I mean Me-209 V4. You know, that plane nobody flies seriously because it's so inept at killing things. The sole reason to play it in a competitive sense is to counter the P-38F. Otherwise the raw speed, climb rate, and altitude basically force every other plane in tier 5 to play the punish game, and if flown exceptionally well the P-38F is a virtually unpunishable plane because you're forced to evade lest you die, and by the time you come back around it's very likely you'll only get chip damage in, not enough to kill the 38F if they're on their maximum autoheal health. The map control is insane for a tier 5 plane and as Spirit stated, it's actually a lot closer to a tier 6 plane in terms of how powerful it is; it's a somewhat downgraded version of the P-38J which is a good tier 6 plane and it's a tier lower. The controllability and maneuverability is pretty good for a heavy fighter, sure, the Japanese can outturn you but you outspeed, outclimb, and outalt them. Sure, you may not be able to sit over a cap very well compared to the likes of the Spitfire I and Bf-109 E, but again, you outspeed, outclimb, outalt them, and are full well capable of taking sectors faster than any other plane in tier 5. It's not the easiest plane to break, but with the skill ceiling it has it can break tier 5 games and can competently compete in tier 6 games as well.

Tier 6: Ki-102; it's actually not that big of a plane, in fact it's pretty close to the P-38J and F4U-1 in terms of size which means it's actually somewhat small. Still, the 57mm cannon fires at 90 RPM which might not sound all that wild until you realize that most guns that deal 200 damage a shot fire at 30-60 RPM. Bear in mind most fighters at tier 6 have <400HP which means just about anything short of a GA or bomber is within 2-shot range, the velocity isn't all that far off from mid-caliber cannons either. On top of this the 57mm has a fairly long burst length (around 8 seconds or so), especially for such a powerful gun which means not only does it 2-shot everything, not only is it pretty easy to hit people with it, it's a very forgiving gun to use, one of the most forgiving large-caliber guns in the entire game. Pair this incredible gun with a great airframe, and congratulations you have a pretty easy to use, devastatingly powerful tier 6 plane. Also it gets a turret which means you can get Defensive-Fire to suffer less damage from retaliatory strikes or just in general give you more time to survive when somebody approaches from behind you.

Tier 7: Tu-1; I used to think this thing was only "really strong" but after playing it some more, it's one of the most powerful planes in the game.

Imagine having a plane that can:

It may not be the highest performance plane at its tier, but the ginormous boost pool, healthpool, and agility in tandem with the guns is absolutely insane and has netted me a fair few games with >30k personal points and 30+ kills. It pretty much is the definition of an unpunishable plane because the Tu-1 player just needs good situational awareness (this thing can equip a special radar by the way) and suddenly it becomes pretty much impossible to beat him in a fight. Dogpiling him ends up being the only real option to try and kill the Tu-1, but due to how many planes that would cost it would be prudent to just try and play the objective, around the Tu-1 player of course. He may be unbeatable in a fight but that doesn't necessarily mean he's fast enough to be everywhere at once. However that's a major part of the Tu-1's strength, it forces pretty much everybody to play around it or risk dying instantly with little recourse. Also as another note due to how janky the hitboxes are on the Tu-1 going head-on with another Tu-1 is one of the greatest examples of RNG in WoWp because gun consistency is thrown straight into the trashcan.

Tier 10: Su-10; ability to one-pass any cap in the game is an exaggeration as some sectors have layouts that don't allow for one-passes (though if you have maneuverability-boosting equipment it opens up more opportunities.) One-load would be more accurate as most sectors can be flipped with 8 well-placed bombs. Airstrips do not have enough ground targets for an Su-10 to capture the sector through bombs alone, let alone the layout for a one-pass, sure you can kill ADA but due to them all being low-alt it's not the most consistent thing out there. Airbases are not able to be one-passed or one-loaded despite having enough ground targets to be flipped through them alone, however ADA kills are more consistent since there are heavy ADA which have incredibly high prioritization for bombers, and they don't break off at low health either. It may lose to the EF-131 in terms of maps with mining plants, but the combination of near-IL-40P levels of health, the strongest ordnance outside of US bombers, the strongest defenses in the entire game, and huge boost pool make the Su-10 far more universal in power. It's not all that far behind the EF-131 when it comes to mining plant maps either. Overall the Su-10 is a very dangerous plane, for both air and ground targets alike, and unlike US bombers it is a very flexible plane that isn't reliant on the map to flex its obscene capping ability.

As for the best tier overall. I cast my vote for tier 7 which has no outright bad planes and only the Tu-1 is a massive outlier in terms of balance. It's actually the most balanced tier in the game I've found which is such a shame because it constantly sees tier 8 which really puts a damper on the fun. But, still, when top tier it contains a great mixture of playstyles with none of them being completely dominant (for example the A7M can seriously injure BnZ planes that try to attack it) and there're so many unique aircraft like the J4M and IL-10.

If we're taking into account fighting as both top-tier and bottom-tier, then definitely tier 6 as it too is a fairly balanced tier with a ton of strong planes and planes that can serve up actual counterplay to them while also being able to compete with tier 7. As insane as the Ki-102 is it's not a totally unstoppable death machine as a lot of MRF's can give it trouble, which is more than what can be said for the P-38F and Tu-1.

(also both of these tiers have F4U variants)

Edited by Reitousair, 29 May 2020 - 10:05 PM.

I do fly Chinese aircraft a fair amount so... *ahem*

CHINA NUMBAH WAN

I even made a custom skin for my IL-10M!

Premium plane reviews can be found here. Special project equipment spreadsheet can be found here.

Commodore_Sailracer #40 Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 13283 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View Postlosttwo, on 29 May 2020 - 03:57 PM, said:

I play with my joystick

Do you ever worry about wearing it out?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users