XP What is it? What good is it?

XP

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Captain_Underpants53 #1 Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:45 AM

Major

• 33420 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

Some of this confuses me so hopefully someone will step in and correct any errors or omissions that I make.

The simple part is that there are 3 types of XP in the game:  plane XP, crew XP, and 'free' XP.  Free XP is an oxymoron because to get a lot of it is not 'free'.

Anyway, plane XP can be converted to 'not free' free XP, or used to research planes and equipment.

Crew XP is used to advance your crew skills.  There is a major diff between a 2 skill crew and a 5 skill crew for example.  Here is where it gets confusing for me.  Running with Premium Days is simple enough.  It speeds up your crews gaining of skills.  Running with Premium planes is simple enough, it also speeds up your advancement of crew skills.  But the alchemy comes in where you can swap crew to a Premium plane if you have a particular crew you want to advance.  This is without cost but with (to me) confusing drawbacks.  As I understand it (poorly) the crew gains skill points but not for their primary plane (I think).  As I said, I do not fully comprehend the nuances here.

So 'free' XP.  This is great stuff.  You do accumulate it (slowly) for free.  To accumulate more of it quickly takes gold.  Hence the 'not free' part.  This can be used for everything.  Advancing crew skills or researching new planes and equipment.  So while plane XP is limited to researching the plane directly above it in the tech tree or it's equipment, 'free' XP can be applied anywhere in the Tech Tree you wish.  Most folks, including me, reserve it to advance crew skills.

Probably some would wonder why I take the time to explain such a basic of the game as XP.  Well, when I first started playing over 3 years ago I didn't understand it.  I merrily flew around collecting these +1 thingees and never assigning them.  I thought it was some kind of automatic thing.  Anyway after about 500 battles or so I figured out you need to assign

them to get the benefit.  (so I'm slow)

There is a way to reassign them (costs) if you make a mistake or, for whatever reason, decide some other skill will work better. Often equipment changes will drive a reassignment of skills.  Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

losttwo #2 Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:07 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 10141 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
I'm lost

Captain_Underpants53 #3 Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:18 AM

Major

• 33420 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

Go soak your head!

:bajan:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

gerr22 #4 Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:37 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 5982 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
i m lost too hehe

Dru83 #5 Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:03 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5006 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

"Crew XP is used to advance your crew skills.  There is a major diff between a 2 skill crew and a 5 skill crew for example.  Here is where it gets confusing for me.  Running with Premium Days is simple enough.  It speeds up your crews gaining of skills.  Running with Premium planes is simple enough, it also speeds up your advancement of crew skills.  But the alchemy comes in where you can swap crew to a Premium plane if you have a particular crew you want to advance.  This is without cost but with (to me) confusing drawbacks.  As I understand it (poorly) the crew gains skill points but not for their primary plane (I think).  As I said, I do not fully comprehend the nuances here."

There are no drawbacks to switching crews from a tech tree plane to a premium plane and back again. Other than maybe forgetting which crew is where, maybe. You can take a crew from a tech tree plane and put them in a premium plane. As long as they are 100% trained in their tech tree plane, it will work. If they are 99% or less in the tech tree plane they will not earn xp in the premium plane. They will earn xp faster in the premium plane that can then be applied to get skill points. The skills they earn work for their primary plane and any premium they happen to be in as long as they are 100% in the primary tech tree plane.

I switch crews on my premiums all the time and it's pretty rare for me to fly a premium that has a crew that is actually trained for the premium plane. It's like killing two birds with one premium plane - I'm training crews and earning extra credits at the same time.

The one thing you didn't mention is the accelerate crew training button. For those who don't know, it's a check box under the crew tab. When it is checked, all your plane xp goes to your crew instead of to the plane. So, once all the modules on a plane including the next plane in the tech tree are researched, you should click this so that you earn extra xp for your crews instead earning useless plane xp that can only be used if you spend gold to convert it to free xp. Every premium plane you have should have this box checked on the crew tab, because otherwise, you'll just build up plane xp that can't be used for anything. I still have a premium plane that has a couple hundred thousand xp that I can't use because it took me a while to discover the accelerate crew training button. Be aware that on a tech tree plane, if you still have to earn xp for modules or unlocking the next plane and have checked the accelerate crew training button, you won't earn any normal xp. You can see where your xp is going on the bottom left of the after battle screen. It shows you how much plane xp and how much crew xp you have earned.

Edited by Dru83, 25 May 2020 - 02:03 PM.

MrNellis #6 Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:25 PM

Master Sergeant

• 3726 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostDru83, on 25 May 2020 - 02:03 PM, said:

I switch crews on my premiums all the time and it's pretty rare for me to fly a premium that has a crew that is actually trained for the premium plane. It's like killing two birds with one premium plane - I'm training crews and earning extra credits at the same time.

Good idea.  Can you switch the crews between premiums of a different nationality?

Captain_Underpants53 #7 Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:39 PM

Major

• 33420 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostDru83, on 25 May 2020 - 09:03 AM, said:

"Crew XP is used to advance your crew skills.  There is a major diff between a 2 skill crew and a 5 skill crew for example.  Here is where it gets confusing for me.  Running with Premium Days is simple enough.  It speeds up your crews gaining of skills.  Running with Premium planes is simple enough, it also speeds up your advancement of crew skills.  But the alchemy comes in where you can swap crew to a Premium plane if you have a particular crew you want to advance.  This is without cost but with (to me) confusing drawbacks.  As I understand it (poorly) the crew gains skill points but not for their primary plane (I think).  As I said, I do not fully comprehend the nuances here."

There are no drawbacks to switching crews from a tech tree plane to a premium plane and back again. Other than maybe forgetting which crew is where, maybe. You can take a crew from a tech tree plane and put them in a premium plane. As long as they are 100% trained in their tech tree plane, it will work. If they are 99% or less in the tech tree plane they will not earn xp in the premium plane. They will earn xp faster in the premium plane that can then be applied to get skill points. The skills they earn work for their primary plane and any premium they happen to be in as long as they are 100% in the primary tech tree plane.

The one thing you didn't mention is the accelerate crew training button. For those who don't know, it's a check box under the crew tab. When it is checked, all your plane xp goes to your crew instead of to the plane. So, once all the modules on a plane including the next plane in the tech tree are researched, you should click this so that you earn extra xp for your crews instead earning useless plane xp that can only be used if you spend gold to convert it to free xp. Every premium plane you have should have this box checked on the crew tab, because otherwise, you'll just build up plane xp that can't be used for anything. I still have a premium plane that has a couple hundred thousand xp that I can't use because it took me a while to discover the accelerate crew training button. Be aware that on a tech tree plane, if you still have to earn xp for modules or unlocking the next plane and have checked the accelerate crew training button, you won't earn any normal xp. You can see where your xp is going on the bottom left of the after battle screen. It shows you how much plane xp and how much crew xp you have earned.

Thank you!  

:medal:

To clarify, the 200,000 plane XP CAN be used IF you spend gold to convert it to 'free' XP.

Edited by Captain_Underpants53, 25 May 2020 - 03:43 PM.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Captain_Underpants53 #8 Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:39 PM

Major

• 33420 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostMrNellis, on 25 May 2020 - 10:25 AM, said:

Good idea.  Can you switch the crews between premiums of a different nationality?

Nope

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

PhoinexFire #9 Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 71 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postlosttwo, on 25 May 2020 - 02:07 AM, said:

I'm lost

I'm lost two!

Dru83 #10 Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5006 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

You can't put a pilot from one nation in a plane of another nation regardless of whether the plane is tech tree or premium.

But, with the premium planes of the Europe tree, you can pay a fee to change their nation. That way, you can use premium planes of non-tech tree countries to train pilots that fly tech tree planes.

I could turn all that plane xp into free xp, but I'd rather spend gold on premiums and hangar slots.

Hmm... where's Lost Three?

Maqor #11 Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:03 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4022 battles
  • [LNSTR] LNSTR

View PostDru83, on 25 May 2020 - 09:03 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm always training up a fresh crew for each nation so that when I unlock a new plane I have a pilot for it ready to go. I like to get a pilot to 4 points so I can pick two of the 2-point skills right off the bat (from Aerodynamics Expert, Acrobatics Expert, Marksman 1, Engine Guru 1, or Demolition Expert). Then I recruit another new pilot to work on in that premium.

Favorites:

Heavy Fighters: P.1056, Ki-93, Bf109Z, XP-58, XP-50, P-38J, Mosquito26, Me410, Beaufighter, SE100, P-38F, Bf110E, Ki-45, Beaufighter5, Bf110B, BlenheimF, Multiroles: P-47B, Fw190A5, Tempest, Tornado, IL-1, F4U-1, S-199, Hurricane 2, Fighters: La-9, Yak-3RD, Vampire, Me209A, Ki-88, Mustang1A, I-210, XP-55, SpitDB, A6M3 exp, XF4U-1, XF4F-3, Bf109B, P-36, GAA/Bombers: A-26B, Pe2M82, IL-2mod, IL-2, Me329, He111

qu33kKC #12 Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 11566 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
"I am Lostacus"

Auwingr #13 Posted 26 May 2020 - 10:23 PM

Master Sergeant

• 8936 battles
  • [_G_D_] _G_D_

Awww...some very useful information. I was aware of the ability to move crews around, but I always would train them for the new plane. If I follow correctly, that isn't necessary.

Thanks Dru83. Good points made and well written.

Oh! I'm "and Found".

My status is "Senior Airman". Is that because I'm old? :sceptic:

Dru83 #14 Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:12 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5006 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
hmm... just to make sure I didn't get anybody lost, when you move a crew to a tech tree plane, they have to be trained in that plane, or they suffer a penalty on their skills and can't earn crew xp. When you move a crew to a premium plane, as long as they are trained 100% in a plane (premium or tech tree) of the same nation, they won't have any penalties on skills and will earn crew xp at the slightly better rate that premium planes get.

trikke #15 Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:48 AM

Captain

• 5015 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

just a warning... swapping pilots around when you have a bunch of planes could lead to misplacing or outright losing a pilot     or in my case, two multi-skilled pilots

"misplace" just means your pilot was moved to some forgotten plane       "losing" means i accidentally hit the dismiss button while i was flapping my gums       both times

the first time i moaned and cussed and screamed to my flight partner Toggle         the second time, i bit my tongue hard, and never said a word       because it was the second time

there's a warning that you have to click through to actually delete a pilot        i did that twice, about a month apart       i've never swapped since, except to move a pilot up a tier

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore       

Captain_Underpants53 #16 Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:57 AM

Major

• 33420 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostDru83, on 26 May 2020 - 09:12 PM, said:

hmm... just to make sure I didn't get anybody lost, when you move a crew to a tech tree plane, they have to be trained in that plane, or they suffer a penalty on their skills and can't earn crew xp. When you move a crew to a premium plane, as long as they are trained 100% in a plane (premium or tech tree) of the same nation, they won't have any penalties on skills and will earn crew xp at the slightly better rate that premium planes get.

Thanks for the clarification.  I understand it a lot better now.

:medal:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Captain_Underpants53 #17 Posted 27 May 2020 - 03:01 AM

Major

• 33420 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View Posttrikke, on 26 May 2020 - 09:48 PM, said:

just a warning... swapping pilots around when you have a bunch of planes could lead to misplacing or outright losing a pilot     or in my case, two multi-skilled pilots

"misplace" just means your pilot was moved to some forgotten plane       "losing" means i accidentally hit the dismiss button while i was flapping my gums       both times

the first time i moaned and cussed and screamed to my flight partner Toggle         the second time, i bit my tongue hard, and never said a word       because it was the second time

there's a warning that you have to click through to actually delete a pilot        i did that twice, about a month apart       i've never swapped since, except to move a pilot up a tier

I don't ever remember making that mistake (among the very few I haven't made).  But I rarely transfer pilots other than, as you said, to higher tiers.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Also tagged with XP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users