How to maximize those boosters

maximize boosters

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Captain_Underpants53 #1 Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:18 AM

Captain

• 30313 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

So what are boosters anyway?  They are XP or income multipliers.  They can greatly speed up your progress in various ways.

There are 3 XP boosters.  I use all 3 on the days when 3X XP or 5X XP are in effect.  Basically Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  They stack with those multipliers and you can get amazing XP scores.  Run the planes that haven't had their first victory of the day to take advantage.  Once you have that first victory, move to another plane that still has it available.  Crew skills galore!   Not to mention, plane research points galore!   Yeehaw!

Income boosters.  I run these only on days there is no big XP multiplier, basically Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  The XP multiplier has no effect on amount of income so why waste the slot?  But you can also enhance the income boosters by running Premium Days and Premium planes.  Fly the highest tier plane you feel good in and don't worry about first victory of the day if income is your goal.  In other words, spam that good feeling higher tier plane.   The presence or absence of the 2X XP has absolutely no effect on the income you get.

Lastly, I want to give a shout out to the bombers.  They just print silver for some reason, win or lose.  And especially the Premium bombers running Premium Days.  I fly bombers pretty exclusively and I have accumulated a bit of silver and every plane in the game (which cost silver).   Go for it!

:coin:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

qu33kKC #2 Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:23 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 9609 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
I have also used boosters for new crew XP and to grind for modules on new planes.  Certainly an option vs burning Free XP, while getting a handle on what a new bird is like prior to Elite status.

losttwo #3 Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:09 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 8722 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Thanks.one of these days i may actually try a booster

qu33kKC #4 Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:19 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 9609 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

As long as WG keeps giving them out, no reason not to if you need "moar" of something in-game. 

*this board needs a shrugging emoticon.*    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CorvusCorvax #5 Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:51 PM

Major

• 4875 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Let me add one thing:

It seems to be a thing where those folks running boosters get less-than-preferential matchmaking.  Several streamers, in both Planes and Tanks, have noticed this trend.  So, if you want to run the boosters, ALSO flight up with a buddy.  That helps you win, and with the weekend XP boost, that helps your overall XP gains.

Colonel TightyWhitey is absolutely correct - high-tier planes and bombers make silver rain.  Flying my T8 planes with silver boosters engaged can produce tens of millions in silver in an afternoon of just flying around.  Win or lose.

Captain_Underpants53 #6 Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:11 PM

Captain

• 30313 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 24 May 2020 - 10:51 AM, said:

Let me add one thing:

It seems to be a thing where those folks running boosters get less-than-preferential matchmaking.  Several streamers, in both Planes and Tanks, have noticed this trend.  So, if you want to run the boosters, ALSO flight up with a buddy.  That helps you win, and with the weekend XP boost, that helps your overall XP gains.

Colonel TightyWhitey is absolutely correct - high-tier planes and bombers make silver rain.  Flying my T8 planes with silver boosters engaged can produce tens of millions in silver in an afternoon of just flying around.  Win or lose.

You know, I always thought it was just my paranoia speaking when I run boosters.  Being low tier in a match over and over does make one wonder.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Captain_Rownd #7 Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 3434 battles

I don't fly bombers when using boosters.  They're a situational plane, and score very low for me. 

Favorites:

SPAD S.510:: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: Caudron C.714 :: Me 329 :: MiG-9

blindfoId #8 Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 8 battles

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 24 May 2020 - 06:51 PM, said:

Let me add one thing:

Boosters do not affect matchmaking in any way. 

Maqor #9 Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:22 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3331 battles
  • [LNSTR] LNSTR
I've used maybe fifteen 2-hour credit boosters this past month, grinding tier 8 premiums. I needed about 50 million credits to afford twelve tier 9's.

upgrading: Spit14, MeP.1099B-2

grinding: Ta152, Ki-94-II, Ju88A

MrNellis #10 Posted 25 May 2020 - 04:03 PM

Master Sergeant

• 2326 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostMaqor, on 25 May 2020 - 11:22 AM, said:

I've used maybe fifteen 2-hour credit boosters this past month, grinding tier 8 premiums. I needed about 50 million credits to afford twelve tier 9's.

I did something similar during the x5 VE Day sale two weeks ago. 

Captain_Underpants53 #11 Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:00 PM

Captain

• 30313 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostMrNellis, on 25 May 2020 - 11:03 AM, said:

I did something similar during the x5 VE Day sale two weeks ago. 

Just remember that the income boosters work just the same whether it's 2X, 3X, 5X, or 0X XP days.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

J311yfish #12 Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4147 battles
  • [343] 343

Here's a question, just wondering if anyone has bothered to figure this out yet:

If you have a booster burning, and there are 8:00 minutes left on the booster, and you enter a match that lasts 12:00 minutes -- did the 8 minutes on the booster do anything for you, or are they simply wasted because XP has not been finalized until the end of the match?

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

Captain_Rownd #13 Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 3434 battles

View PostJ311yfish, on 25 May 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

If you have a booster burning, and there are 8:00 minutes left on the booster, and you enter a match that lasts 12:00 minutes -- did the 8 minutes on the booster do anything for you, or are they simply wasted because XP has not been finalized until the end of the match?

I've always been under the assumption in Tanks/Warplanes that the booster has to still be running when you return to the garage/hangar to get bonuses, but could be wrong.

Favorites:

SPAD S.510:: MiG-3 :: I-250 :: Ju 88 P :: He 100 D-1 :: Caudron C.714 :: Me 329 :: MiG-9

Captain_Underpants53 #14 Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:44 PM

Captain

• 30313 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostJ311yfish, on 25 May 2020 - 04:41 PM, said:

Here's a question, just wondering if anyone has bothered to figure this out yet:

If you enter a match with ANY time left on the booster it is active for that whole battle.  Which is why I can always get 5 battles and sometimes 6 with a 1 hour booster.

To clarify, even if you only have a few seconds left when you hit the Battle button it will be active for the entire match.

Edited by Captain_Underpants53, 25 May 2020 - 10:46 PM.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

J311yfish #15 Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4147 battles
  • [343] 343
Good to know, thank you

Main tech tree projects:   JAPAN    UNITED KINGDOM  •  UNITED STATES    GERMANY  •  USSR  // aircraft to China

Europe tech tree projects:  ITALY    FRANCE    SWEDEN    Finland (skins•  Poland  •  International  //  Retired projects:  China    Brazil

Historical scenarios:  Spanish Civil War (skins•  Invasion of Poland  •  Winter War  •  Continuation War

Map proposals:   Panama Canal    Great Wall of China    Cliffs of Dover   //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial:  How to ignore forum posts and signatures

Captain_Underpants53 #16 Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:10 PM

Captain

• 30313 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostJ311yfish, on 26 May 2020 - 02:07 PM, said:

Good to know, thank you

To me, this makes up (somewhat) for the fact that they run in real time, not game or battle time.  So take that potty break before you mount them!

:rolleyes:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Captain_Rownd #17 Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 3434 battles
Well poop, I've been waiting for them to run out and starting a new one after. 

Favorites:

CorvusCorvax #18 Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:28 PM

Major

• 4875 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 24 May 2020 - 06:11 PM, said:

You know, I always thought it was just my paranoia speaking when I run boosters.  Being low tier in a match over and over does make one wonder.

I wondered that as well.  And I have multiple clan mates who swear their win rate goes down when they have XP boosters running.  I know blindfold says that the MM is not affected at all by boosters, but with all these folks relating their experiences - some of who play these games for a living (no, I'm not kidding), it gets pretty interesting.

The last time I runned an XP booster, I did a little experiment, because I wanted to see if I was just imagining it the previous time.  I chose to fight in a Do-335, Me-410, B&V P.203, Pe-2 M82, and RB-17, in that order.  T6 and T8 are often very highly populated, and are pretty rarely bottom tier, in my experience.

All of my XP booster battles were bottom tier.  ALL of them. 

OK, it could have been random.  I completely agree with that.  I didn't play a three-hour booster, so it is really super-possible that this hour was just randomly not in my favor.  So, when I was done with the hour, I decided to play the planes again, in the same order.  Top tier in all but one - Pe-2 M82 (that battle was hilarious because the sole T7 human player was a red Yak-3RD.  That poor guy got the straight up shaft of two mining plants and three garrisons.)  In any case, the comparison between the two hours is quite strange for a random distribution.  I could fix the top/bottom tier thing by flying all T10 planes, but that gets old in a hurry when there aren't very many people on.  Flying against bots all night is BORING.  Observational data is hard to argue with - and there are many people with some very compelling observational data on this issue.  But, we should of course accept blindfold's explanation, and look for our own way around the curious series of events that sometimes happen when you load boosters....

So, the cure for this not-the-fault-of-the-MM thing is to split-tier flight, and force the MM to keep you at top tier.  Or, fly one tier down, but as a HF with a bomber brother.  They get cover, you get XP and wins and parts!

Edited by CorvusCorvax, 27 May 2020 - 02:30 PM.

Captain_Underpants53 #19 Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:42 PM

Captain

• 30313 battles
  • [USMIL] USMIL

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 27 May 2020 - 09:28 AM, said:

I wondered that as well.  And I have multiple clan mates who swear their win rate goes down when they have XP boosters running.  I know blindfold says that the MM is not affected at all by boosters, but with all these folks relating their experiences - some of who play these games for a living (no, I'm not kidding), it gets pretty interesting.

The last time I runned an XP booster, I did a little experiment, because I wanted to see if I was just imagining it the previous time.  I chose to fight in a Do-335, Me-410, B&V P.203, Pe-2 M82, and RB-17, in that order.  T6 and T8 are often very highly populated, and are pretty rarely bottom tier, in my experience.

All of my XP booster battles were bottom tier.  ALL of them. 

OK, it could have been random.  I completely agree with that.  I didn't play a three-hour booster, so it is really super-possible that this hour was just randomly not in my favor.  So, when I was done with the hour, I decided to play the planes again, in the same order.  Top tier in all but one - Pe-2 M82 (that battle was hilarious because the sole T7 human player was a red Yak-3RD.  That poor guy got the straight up shaft of two mining plants and three garrisons.)  In any case, the comparison between the two hours is quite strange for a random distribution.  I could fix the top/bottom tier thing by flying all T10 planes, but that gets old in a hurry when there aren't very many people on.  Flying against bots all night is BORING.  Observational data is hard to argue with - and there are many people with some very compelling observational data on this issue.  But, we should of course accept blindfold's explanation, and look for our own way around the curious series of events that sometimes happen when you load boosters....

So, the cure for this not-the-fault-of-the-MM thing is to split-tier flight, and force the MM to keep you at top tier.  Or, fly one tier down, but as a HF with a bomber brother.  They get cover, you get XP and wins and parts!

So today I decided to experiment and actuated an income booster.  Sure enough, battle after battle as the lower tier with the higher tier team mate stepping all over his Richard.  Nice string of losses though.

:amazed:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

CorvusCorvax #20 Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:20 AM

Major

• 4875 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 28 May 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

So today I decided to experiment and actuated an income booster.  Sure enough, battle after battle as the lower tier with the higher tier team mate stepping all over his Richard.  Nice string of losses though.

:amazed:

Hmmm, nice.  But remember, the MM is not affected by whether or not you equip boosters.

Right?

You have to do the counter-experiment.  After you're done with the booster, you have to fly the same aircraft again.  You know, just to see...

Also tagged with maximize, boosters

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users