Respects to a swarthgood who is battling Cancer.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Kingwicked101 #1 Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:33 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 10190 battles
  • [E-S-S] E-S-S

Let us pray and pay our respects in a tribute to the great leader of OWSS who has stopped his chemo to spend the last days with his family.

When I first met swarthgood, he wanted to learn the ropes of the game. He thus joined TIS under my command and we took TIS to the top 5.

There was never a time he showed aggression nor shunned a soul. I always looked forward to playing when swarthgood was online. I knew there would be laughter in the ranks and he went out of his way to help anyone seeking assistance.

Nothing to him was ever a burden and always placed everyone above himself. He was respectful to the people of this game and never cussed a soul.

I wish him strength and strength to his family through this rough ordeal.

Sir, Swarthgood, may the Lord lay His upon you during your struggle. May He comfort you and soothe the pain that lays ahead.

Thank you for being such a wonderful person, a light to all.

Take care, God Bless you and your family.

A huge salute to you from me.

You in our prayers brother.

RAP_01 #2 Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:11 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6804 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

AND, Swarthgood went on to found OWSS (Order of the White Silk Scarf) and he recruited me to that clan shortly after it's founding. He carried the objectives of treating EVERYONE with respect, offering help to anyone who asked for it and flying with honor to that clan. I consider him a close friend, even though I've only met him online. We have had many discussions about all things relating to WoWp and the conduct of players during games. He has been a great leader, and to me, will always be the "Boss". Flights with him on my side were always a joy.

Hang tough, Boss - good hunting in the battles that lie ahead!

I raise my glass in a toast to you and your ideals.

Sleep tight tonight - your Air Force is awake!

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #3 Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:21 PM

Major

• 1438 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

great respect and love to one of the good guys

Swarthgood

:honoring:

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

JB_14 #4 Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:40 PM

Airman Basic

• 4847 battles
swarthgood gave a cocky new pilot like me a chance to join OWSS. He taught me to be respectful to all and have fun..and shoot down planes.  If we all had a Heart as big as his, this World would be a much better place for all. God Bless you and your family.  Good Hunting!

Perrigrino #5 Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7081 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Started off as a newb. felt very cocky shoot'n down all sort of RED targets. Wasn;t sure i was do'in good and outta blue, from  nowhere this guy txted me and says " nice flying!"! Back then, fly'n was tough. (uphill both ways). Most pilots ignored you. This guy took notice. and I would remember till Dustin asked me to join, and i said yeah, cause That guy was one of the 1st to make me feel welcome.  And He was very observant and loves to sing amd PLAY music, as he is a very accomplish musician. Sorry id I screw this up, but I know that you guys played live, so you were'nt Studio, but Live, Onstage, No Room for Mistakes.

Found a Concert Program for 1966, which I was surprised existed, since anything before internet is a gamble. To think he has played with some really incedible individuals, outside the game, and worked and played with some incredible musicians and actresses in the business, and unfortunately Baraba Eden did not stand out. Story for another day.

Life is a story.... 

Edited by Perrigrino, 30 March 2020 - 04:47 PM.

Captain_Underpants53 #6 Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:47 PM

Captain

• 29243 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

:honoring:

Salute!  swarthgood will be missed.

Each man's death diminishes me,

For I am involved in mankind,

Therefore, send not to know,

For whom the bell tolls,

It tolls for thee.

John Donne

Edited by Captain_Underpants53, 30 March 2020 - 04:57 PM.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Gooze_r #7 Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:56 PM

Airman Basic

• 2013 battles

I had different clans trying to recruit me pre 2.0 but always decided against it.  Swarthgood made a couple of attempts when flying in the same games back then also.  As time past, his easy going personality won me over and I decided to join.  I was probably the 45-50th person to join OWSS back then.  He stated he would like to keep the clan at 50 or so pilots.  But as we know the clan grew quickly to 100 due to his commitment on making the game and clan environment enjoyable as possible for each and every individual pilot.   I haven't flown much these last 2 years do my Mom's health issues,  I don't own a headset and really do not like texting so much, but he always told me to hang in there and stay with OWSS.

So Boss(Swarthgood),  thank you for being a great commander, you have recruited the best pilots. Your pilots will be flying with you forever sir!   

Bless you and your family

ColoradoFighter #8 Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:12 PM

Airman Basic

• 19306 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Swarthgood, you are a good friend sir. All the love and respect I give you. O7 Commander Emeritus!! Thanks for the plane again sir!

Attached Thumbnails

CorvusCorvax #9 Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:15 PM

Major

• 4850 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
My sadness grows.  He has been a fantastic commander, and the whole community will be less with him gone.

Lipstick_Torpedo #10 Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:01 AM

Senior Airman

• 20714 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

It took rather a long time for Ian (Swarthgood) to get me to join OWSS. Over a year in fact. I've never considered myself particularly good at flying as a wingman and I did not want to join a clan that had a 'non-aggression pact' policy towards clan members in the opposing team, as so many do.

In OWSS Red is dead always, as it should be. Some of the hardest battles are against other clan members. The second most important aspect has been Ian's law of flying with honour. Respect the opposition, help and assist weaker players and never insult the red team members or gloat over an easy win. This has all been due to Ian's vision of how a clan should be and, of course, he's right. It is a privilege for me to fly with OWSS. 

Ian has a huge heart and he genuinely cares for each of us. He has put his life and soul into this game and the clan and his current absence is keenly felt by all of us.

Keep fighting Ian, we miss you.

Hardstrike #11 Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8413 battles
  • [SF] SF
I'm sorry to hear this about Swarthgood.  He's one of the truly good ones and will be missed in the skies.
Fly crooked and shoot straight.

Vann_the_Red #12 Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:25 PM

Master Sergeant

• 7026 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I have never had the pleasure, but OWSS is one of the finest clans in the game and that is a tribute to the founder and leader.  Fair winds and following seas ...

VtR

comealong1 #13 Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:42 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10208 battles
  • [E-S-S] E-S-S
Sorry to hear this and I would not wish the big C on my worst enemy.. Sorry to hear your fight is almost over but pray to ease the suffering of you & yours, sir.

qu33kKC #14 Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:58 PM

• 8968 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
As mentioned in another thread, I have no idea why the BossMan took a chance on an enthusiastic newbie, but I am unmistakably a better pixel plane pilot for it.  Ian and the other members of OWSS have been wonderful teachers, mentors and just generally good folks to know.  Swarthgood, keep up the good fight, and thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

trikke #15 Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:26 PM

Captain

• 4488 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
it'll always be CAVU for you, Ian          great pilot, even greater human being
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Captain_HindGrinder_2015 #16 Posted 01 April 2020 - 01:32 AM

Airman Basic

• 17759 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

I well remember the day Ian texted me after a battle we had both been in.  He said he had just started a new clan that was based on respect between pilots, flying with honor and killing red planes.  I was very new to world of warplanes and gaming in general and replied I didn't think I had much to offer.  His reply was that was a good reason to join as if he didn't know the answer to a question most likely someone else in the clan would.  His comment was that "all of us together knew more than anyone of us".

I really had only two good maneuvers at that point and one was that I had the ability to roll up and under a plane as it flew overhead and rip out the belly and the second was to dive straight down on a Ground attack and then pull up at the last moment, climb rapidly and come right back on top of the poor devil again.  

The first time Ian took me flying he flew on my wing.  I was flying a highly maneuverable tier 4 fighter with great guns and flew into a fur ball.  More with luck than skill - I shot down 7 planes and flew out the other side.  Ian watched all this and I could just hear the chuckle as he saw I had so much to learn. 

Ian then patiently took me flying and taught me the basics of good disciplined flying and keeping one's cool.  He stressed to gain the advantage with altitude right at the start and not to dive into the fur balls.  His flying was clear and pure and his attitude to the other players exemplary.  He congratulated the other team leader if we lost and never gloated if we won.  I was so impressed when he insisted that two of our clan pilots apologize to each other after a heated exchange of words and then fly together. He understood the importance of a paramilitary structure to keep order among pilots and also the need for a democracy of a senior council. We all had a line and staff function and the mandate to look after our brothers.

We had some talks late at night that I cherish where I heard about Ian's musician days when he played trombone with some of the greats such as Satchmo.  He knew Elaine and I competed in ballroom dance and said when he played with swing bands the evening was always made more interesting watching the dancers.  I will remember those late night flights and talks with all the early members of OWSS till the end of my days.

Ian poured his mind, heart, soul and resources into OWSS as he built a clan second to none.  He watched everyone fly and recruited the best.  He encouraged and mentored all of us and encouraged us to share knowledge to improve each others pilot skills.

I can only thank the stars that when Ian asked me to join the grand adventure that is OWSS that I had the brains to say "Yes".  I gained so much more than just a clan to fly with, I gained a fellowship of kindred souls.

Thank you Commander Ian for all you have done - you will be flying with OWSS in our minds forever!

vuuduu #17 Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:13 AM

• Open Beta Tester
  • 249 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Just to say I wish you strength in whatever lies ahead for you. And to add that, I truly do know far less than you thought I did lol

The best to you and yours.

...look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky...

Captain_Underpants53 #18 Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:17 PM

Captain

• 29243 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostCaptain_HindGrinder_2015, on 31 March 2020 - 08:32 PM, said:

I well remember the day Ian texted me after a battle we had both been in.  He said he had just started a new clan that was based on respect between pilots, flying with honor and killing red planes.  I was very new to world of warplanes and gaming in general and replied I didn't think I had much to offer.  His reply was that was a good reason to join as if he didn't know the answer to a question most likely someone else in the clan would.  His comment was that "all of us together knew more than anyone of us".

I really had only two good maneuvers at that point and one was that I had the ability to roll up and under a plane as it flew overhead and rip out the belly and the second was to dive straight down on a Ground attack and then pull up at the last moment, climb rapidly and come right back on top of the poor devil again.  

The first time Ian took me flying he flew on my wing.  I was flying a highly maneuverable tier 4 fighter with great guns and flew into a fur ball.  More with luck than skill - I shot down 7 planes and flew out the other side.  Ian watched all this and I could just hear the chuckle as he saw I had so much to learn. 

Ian then patiently took me flying and taught me the basics of good disciplined flying and keeping one's cool.  He stressed to gain the advantage with altitude right at the start and not to dive into the fur balls.  His flying was clear and pure and his attitude to the other players exemplary.  He congratulated the other team leader if we lost and never gloated if we won.  I was so impressed when he insisted that two of our clan pilots apologize to each other after a heated exchange of words and then fly together. He understood the importance of a paramilitary structure to keep order among pilots and also the need for a democracy of a senior council. We all had a line and staff function and the mandate to look after our brothers.

We had some talks late at night that I cherish where I heard about Ian's musician days when he played trombone with some of the greats such as Satchmo.  He knew Elaine and I competed in ballroom dance and said when he played with swing bands the evening was always made more interesting watching the dancers.  I will remember those late night flights and talks with all the early members of OWSS till the end of my days.

Ian poured his mind, heart, soul and resources into OWSS as he built a clan second to none.  He watched everyone fly and recruited the best.  He encouraged and mentored all of us and encouraged us to share knowledge to improve each others pilot skills.

I can only thank the stars that when Ian asked me to join the grand adventure that is OWSS that I had the brains to say "Yes".  I gained so much more than just a clan to fly with, I gained a fellowship of kindred souls.

Thank you Commander Ian for all you have done - you will be flying with OWSS in our minds forever!

Very eloquent and quite moving.  Well done, Sir.

:medal:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users