rear gunner ineffectual on 3 planes

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

White_Widow18 #21 Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:28 PM

First Lieutenant

• 12665 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostViking_Scorp, on 08 January 2020 - 03:52 PM, said:

Well Mine do not work and this is a brand new computer. Also how do you clear the cache? and where is the repair tool. On another note, others that own the Ki 45 and the IL-2(t) have said their guns work fine. I am telling you they don't. I even have a lvl 6 gunner in my ki with Vigilance, Defensive fire, and armorer, all useless. And where else do you bring up your concerns than on a forum designed for that very thing? If you do not believe me then play one against me and fly into my back arc.

Where is the place you test these?

I tested them by flying my own planes, same planes as the ones you have.

Clear cache is in a drop down menu in the downward pointing arrow next to the "battle" button in the main launcher and repair is under the game settings menu/button on the main launcher screen as well.

Insofar as going out of my way to try to fly against you? Nah Fam, I'm good. I've already described for you an avenue to prove your claims, as have others. Make a video. You've also been given the basic run down of what to do other than -actually- contact CS and no.. no the forums aren't designed for this. That's why we have a ticket system. This little sub-forum is only one tiny part of the entire forum and it's here for players to share advice with one another to overcome known bugs with known tips/tricks/etc. Not as a main line to getting CS attention.

Again, file a ticket, that's why the ticket system exists. You can find that under Player Support at the top of this page. You will need to click around a bit after hitting "contact support" to get the point of actually filing a ticket and the categories are a bit wonky, but all tickets go to the same place and are answered on a first-come-first-serve basis. Include complete information, screenshots/replays/etc.

You can enable replays in the settings inside the game and it even tells the file path it saves those to.

Viking_Scorp #22 Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:29 PM

Senior Airman

• 2845 battles
  • [FTR] FTR
So now that I actually have questions on how to do stuff I get nothing, thanks for the overwhelming help on the matter.

Viking_Scorp #23 Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:31 PM

Senior Airman

• 2845 battles
  • [FTR] FTR
I filed a ticket and I am waiting and waiting for a response. I appreciate all of your fabulous suggestions.

Captain_Underpants53 #24 Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:56 PM

Captain

• 26341 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostViking_Scorp, on 08 January 2020 - 05:29 PM, said:

So now that I actually have questions on how to do stuff I get nothing, thanks for the overwhelming help on the matter.

Why am I feeling joy and relief that you didn't take up my offer of clan membership?

:child:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Viking_Scorp #25 Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:06 PM

Senior Airman

• 2845 battles
  • [FTR] FTR

did all that and still nothing

Viking_Scorp #26 Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:07 PM

Senior Airman

• 2845 battles
  • [FTR] FTR

I don't know captain underpants, maybe because You don't want someone on your team that is neutered. It will bring down all of your teams avgs

Viking_Scorp #27 Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:09 PM

Senior Airman

• 2845 battles
  • [FTR] FTR

You know none of you need to be on this string of the forum, It just tells me something.

Viking_Scorp #28 Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:13 PM

Senior Airman

• 2845 battles
  • [FTR] FTR

ok so I am recording the battles and I have no way to open them.

Viking_Scorp #29 Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:14 PM

Senior Airman

• 2845 battles
  • [FTR] FTR

I really just want help and not all the [edited]. 

White_Widow18 #30 Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:16 PM

First Lieutenant

• 12665 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
OPening them, select the .exe for the game as the program to open them. That's how you play them.

Captain_Underpants53 #31 Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:17 PM

Captain

• 26341 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostViking_Scorp, on 08 January 2020 - 06:07 PM, said:

I don't know captain underpants, maybe because You don't want someone on your team that is neutered. It will bring down all of your teams avgs

I extended the invite a while back.  YOU were the one who made the decision not to join.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  I would put in some words about patience but, nah.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Viking_Scorp #32 Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:42 PM

Senior Airman

• 2845 battles
  • [FTR] FTR

I only have the windows media player that cannot play them. Any suggestions?

desert786 #33 Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:04 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 16131 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

went you go into gunner mode are you pressing mouse 1? are you locking onto targets(pretty much just hovering the reticle over the target)? are the targets within your gun range and within the gun arc?

if your using joystick using rear gun is beyond wonky. a number of joystick users have told me they dont even bother.

or are you just pressing T and expecting something to happen?

also, all the planes you lists might as well not have rear guns.

Edited by desert786, 09 January 2020 - 06:06 AM.

hoom #34 Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:14 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10499 battles

I feel that most answers in this thread have been less than helpful/assuming OP has more game knowledge than they do.

He got snarky back at your snarky replies to what I think is a legit question.

My first point is the last that desert made: the 3 planes in question have tiny little pop-gun rear guns, at best they will do nearly nothing, they might manage to kill an enemy with very low double-digit hitpoints, maybe.

If you look at their stats (mouse over the Turret in Upgrades tab/in the plane in the Tech Tree), they have low dps and fairly short ranges.

2nd is the question of technique: Again as desert pointed out in the T mode you need to aim the cursor over enemy & manually hold down the fire button.

It'll only do damage if the enemy is within range & the firing arc of the tail gun (when you look around in T mode you see a darker border, the gun will only hit within the brighter area).

The gun will take some time to get on-target after an enemy comes into firing arc & range, it will immediately re-aim towards the neutral position as soon as a target leaves arc/range (either by enemy manoeuvre or your own) & will have to re-aim when the target comes back into range -> effective dps is reduced even more.

There is a bug where fairly often when you switch to T mode the gun won't actually shoot when you click fire, you have to re-click -> even further reduced effective dps.

3rd: as has also been mentioned tailgunners don't really do friendly fire so thats a bad way to test.

You can go into a training room & setup with your friend as the only enemy, have them fly behind you & let you shoot them.

(Combat Flight to right of Battle button, switch to Training Flight, Create Room, select map, Create, add a name, let your friend enter, click arrow next to you in one direction, the friend in the other, Battle to start)

4th: recording ingame = creating replay files.

Its not a video per-se but a file you can open with the game executable to fly through the battle again.

Its not good for showing whats happening with a tail-gunner because it doesn't replay from the player camera angle & won't switch view to the T mode when you did so I really don't know why it was suggested.

Windows won't know how to open the files so you need to right click -> Open with -> More apps -> scroll to the bottom 'Look for another app on this PC' -> browse to the game install folder (mine is not default so I can't help with the location) & select WorldOfWarplanes.exe (.exe may not show) -> Open.

Game will open & play the replay.

The replay files should get the WoWP icon assigned in Windows Explorer now.

5th: I've seen it suggested that gunners are particularly ineffective for players with high-latency.

For my part (with ~250ms latency) I find most tail guns do sweet [edited]all, only really the SE 100 has sufficient dps relative to tier to really be much use.

Edited by hoom, 11 January 2020 - 01:46 PM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

pyantoryng #35 Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:38 AM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2263 battles

The 7.62mm/7.92mm rear guns (e.g. your Wirraway and Ki-45) are carp at best and cannot be relied upon unless the target is totally beaten up...the IL-2(t)'s bigger 12.7mm rear gun should have better results (you said yours is new so it's likely still stuck on the old 7.62mm). Only when they are at cannon caliber (20mm+) or you have a whole lot of small ones shooting at one target (B-17G and B-32) is where you begin to see noticeable results.

The gun normally automatically fires, when in manual mode you need to get your crosshair to lock onto a target and hold down fire button and let the gun do its magic. The problem is, bots will attempt to evade and get away from defensive fire when at low health so don't expect too many kills that way - it's more likely that rear gun victim are humans because they tend to not evade when their health is in danger zone.

Yes, the replay file is played by the game's client (technically, it's a set of instruction for the client to process to play out the battle in the replay). This works the same way across the World of trilogy.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #36 Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

Captain

• 1407 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Posthoom, on 09 January 2020 - 04:14 AM, said:

I feel that most answers in this thread have been less than helpful/assuming OP has more game knowledge than you're assuming.

He got snarky back at your snarky replies to what I think is a legit question.

My first point is the last that desert made: the 3 planes in question have tiny little pop-gun rear guns, at best they will do nearly nothing, they might manage to kill an enemy with very low double-digit hitpoints, maybe.

If you look at their stats (mouse over the Turret in Upgrades tab/in the plane in the Tech Tree), they have low dps and fairly short ranges.

2nd is the question of technique: Again as desert pointed out in the T mode you need to aim the cursor over enemy & manually hold down the fire button.

It'll only do damage if the enemy is within range & the firing arc of the tail gun (when you look around in T mode you see a darker border, the gun will only hit within the brighter area).

The gun will take some time to get on-target after an enemy comes into firing arc & range, it will immediately re-aim towards the neutral position as soon as a target leaves arc/range (either by enemy manoeuvre or your own) & will have to re-aim when the target comes back into range -> effective dps is reduced even more.

There is a bug where fairly often when you switch to T mode the gun won't actually shoot when you click fire, you have to re-click -> even further reduced effective dps.

3rd: as has also been mentioned tailgunners don't really do friendly fire so thats a bad way to test.

You can go into a training room & setup with your friend as the only enemy, have them fly behind you & let you shoot them.

(Combat Flight to right of Battle button, switch to Training Flight, Create Room, select map, Create, add a name, let your friend enter, click arrow next to you in one direction, the friend in the other, Battle to start)

4th: recording ingame = creating replay files.

Its not a video per-se but a file you can open with the game executable to fly through the battle again.

Its not good for showing whats happening with a tail-gunner because it doesn't replay from the player camera angle & won't switch view to the T mode when you did so I really don't know why it was suggested.

Windows won't know how to open the files so you need to right click -> Open with -> More apps -> scroll to the bottom 'Look for another app on this PC' -> browse to the game install folder (mine is not default so I can't help with the location) & select WorldOfWarplanes.exe (.exe may not show) -> Open.

Game will open & play the replay.

The replay files should get the WoWP icon assigned in Windows Explorer now.

5th: I've seen it suggested that gunners are particularly ineffective for players with high-latency.

For my part (with ~250ms latency) I find most tail guns do sweet [edited]all, only really the SE 100 has sufficient dps relative to tier to really be much use.

Viking_Scorp
read this guy's post

it explains every aspect you may need to know

+1

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

SenatorTH #37 Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4259 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostViking_Scorp, on 08 January 2020 - 05:39 PM, said:

Maybe I should just quit playing if they are not going to address this issue

Bye Felicia

trikke #38 Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:21 PM

Captain

• 3879 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

I've never filed a tkt.     

I'll admit that I started to last week, but I clicked around all over the hangar and didn't find any help or tip about how to do that

i gave up          and please don't ask me what the tkt would have been about, because i'm embarrassed

Aww, well... you guys are friends     it was about Holiday Crates not appearing at the top left corner, like regular crates

i even remember commenting in the thread a month ago about the off-site link where you had to go to open them, ffs

thank god the link to submit a tkt is hidden so well...   

my tkt would have surely ended up on that bulletin board where CS hangs the dumbest tkts for all to see

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

hoom #39 Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:14 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10499 battles
https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wowp/help/

Edited by hoom, 11 January 2020 - 09:15 PM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

trikke #40 Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:40 PM

Captain

• 3879 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

ty, brother.       grumble grumble WG could make it easier to find grumble grumble

but... they'll get a ton more ID10T tkts than they do already

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users