Upgrade your rig, it will be fun they said...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

jack_wdw #1 Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:03 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 2196 battles
Until friday i've played wowp on a rig from 2012 (Gigabyte ZX68, Intel I5-2500K, 8GB RAM, ZOTAC GF670GTX, Adata 480SSD, Antec TruePower 650Watt).

Last week i was getting a lot of freezes, reboots and others malfunctions.

Instead of testing each component one by one, i decided to replace the mainboard, cpu, ram, ssd and gpu.
I have a wattmeter connected to my powersocket and the energy consumption never exceeded 600Watt, so at first i thought to keep the old PSU as my new config would consume less power than the old one (i calculated 500Watt at peak moments).

So on saturday I started to rebuild. Took out the old mainboard, cpu, ram, ssd and GPU. After that i've removed the dust with an air compressor and then started to install and connect the new hardware.
From now on my config is Gigabyte H370M D3H mainboard, intel i7-9700, 2xkingston HyperX 8GB DDR4 FS DIMMS, Asus Geforce RTX 2060, Intel NVME SSD 1TB.
Install went smooth, normal windows operations were also superfast. Next i wanted to transfer the data from my old ssd to the new system, but at this point i found out that the old SSD was probably the culprit for my previous problems, as it seemed completely dead and i couldn't transfer any data anymore. Next step, I've updated all devices with the latest drivers, and then i've started to install some games.
Most games were okay, but running wowp was a nightmare.
I could launch into hangar bay, but when i started a new game, i would get to the beginning of the battle and then BSODS or black screen with immediate reboot.
After some trying i started to doubt the old psu (nevertheless this config should consume a lot less power compared to my previous one) and i hurried myself to the shop (which would close in 1/2 hour) to get me an uprated new PSU (coolermaster 750W).
I replaced the old psu with the new one and had big hopes for the result, but the problem persisted.
I also installed 3dmark and this also gave a lot of crashes after a while.

So what to do next?
I noticed that when i got BSODS, a lot of the time i notice IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL
I experienced BSOD's like this in the past and back then they were always ram related.
I did a refit of the ram-sticks in their sockets, did a memtest, but everything showed up okay after 3 passes.
So i tried wowp again, no improvement.
At this point i was getting kinda frustrated.
All my games would run, but wowp (immediately) and 3dmark (after 5 minutes) were giving crashes.

SO as a measure of last resort, i went into bios and started inspecting memory settings.
One of these menus was DRAM Voltage settings, where one can specify the voltage settings for the ram modules.
All settings were on 'auto' by default, but i changed them to 'normal'.

Guess what, no problem running wowp or 3dmark ever since.
One downside is that, i don't see or feel a lot of difference in WOWP compared to my previous rig.
My kids are more enthousiastic they say that Fortnite and rocket league play so much better now.

Hope this might be some help for people with similar problems.
And my excuses to all affected players for my AFK games of the last two days.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #2 Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:45 PM

Captain

• 1217 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Spoiler

thanks for the first hand lesson

I (over) trust my motherboard too often

manual stetting cpu, video or ram is a good way to smooth out a flaky sys

glad it worked out

:medal:

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Bobby_Tables #3 Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:12 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 8151 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

I know, I read this thread thinking no, no, nooooo!  But then again, if you have the money and want to upgrade, by all means do it.  Especially if you play other games, etc.  

I went for a low end build and I think in this game my performance is pretty much the same as if I had bought a top of the line i7 and a 2080 Ti card.  I think you get just incremental performance no matter how high end you go.  Then again, if you stream your play online in real time, a better rig will likely make that experience better.  Heck, even if you record and then encode and upload, a higher end rig will make that process much faster.  

One thing I did to really make things better was get my own cable modem and returned the Comcast modem I had.  That bumped things up a bit (better ping and maybe 10 fps improvement).  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users