B-17 bomber has crashed at an airport near Hartford, Connecticut

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

trikke #1 Posted 02 October 2019 - 03:36 PM

Captain

• 3620 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

A World War II-era B-17 bomber crashed Wednesday morning while trying to land at Connecticut's Bradley International Airport, and a fire and rescue operation is underway, officials said.

The airport is closed as a result of the crash, which happened at about 10 a.m. ET, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

At least six patients from the crash are expected to be taken to Hartford Hospital, said hospital spokesman Shawn Mawhiney.

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #2 Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:15 PM

Captain

• 1212 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

I read that earlier, hoping for the best

WWII-era plane crashes in Connecticut

https://www.cnn.com/...icut/index.html

Edited by Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo, 02 October 2019 - 05:17 PM.

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Nachthexen_Tribute #3 Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:47 PM

Master Sergeant

• 96 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

There were casualties, I believe.  I feel for them and their families, but because of this game, I also feel a loss for the old iconic plane.

Nach

I use Nach instead of Nacht on purpose. And I pronounce it with the English "ch", like catch.

poppavein #4 Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:31 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3200 battles

Sad.

https://www.wate.com/news/watch-live-world-war-ii-aircraft-crash-at-bradley-airport-airport-closed/

jonnymule74 #5 Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:31 PM

Master Sergeant

• 5511 battles
I shot video of that beauty taking off two weeks ago at an airport near my shop. Can you upload video from your computer here or do you have to bounce it off Youtube?
Ask me if I GAF.......

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #6 Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:36 AM

Captain

• 1212 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Postjonnymule74, on 02 October 2019 - 04:31 PM, said:

I shot video of that beauty taking off two weeks ago at an airport near my shop. Can you upload video from your computer here or do you have to bounce it off Youtube?

yeah johnny

if you want to youtube it I'd like to see it

or
you can save and link it here it to a file storage like dropbox in mp4 or .mov

most MS software plays well with those

Edited by Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo, 03 October 2019 - 02:38 AM.

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

GonerNL #7 Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1111 battles

It was the Nine-o-Nine of the Collings Foundation ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-O-Nine

https://www.youtube....h?v=OjRQXjcY6u0

Edited by GonerNL, 03 October 2019 - 08:40 AM.

Flying on EU, NA, ASIA and CIS servers

Captain_Underpants53 #8 Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:26 PM

Captain

• 24014 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Everybody knows that these old warplanes will not be around forever if they are flown.  I suppose it would cost a lot of money to park them and build replicas to fly in.  But these things are a part of our heritage and deserve retirement.  I would contribute to a fund for that purpose.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #9 Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:03 AM

Captain

• 1212 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 03 October 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

Everybody knows that these old warplanes will not be around forever if they are flown.  I suppose it would cost a lot of money to park them and build replicas to fly in.  But these things are a part of our heritage and deserve retirement.  I would contribute to a fund for that purpose.

maybe CUPants...

but still

a hawk is meant to fly

not preen in a zoo

Dapprman #10 Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:22 PM

Senior Airman

• 7 battles

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 03 October 2019 - 09:26 PM, said:

Even with top restorers and repairers there's no guarantees either.  I remember a few years back, about 3 months before the big Spitfire gathering in the UK, one of the freshly serviced planes crashed on take off at RAF Duxford on it's test flight.  Fortunately only minor bruising and scratching to the pilot and minor plane damage - both were back up in the air before the big flight, but with that happening with one of the world's top and most experienced and top veteran plane restorers/maintainers it reminds us just how hard it is when it's a well funded hobby, which a lot of these planes are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users