opinion of a new player

changes need to be made

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Capt_Pepper #1 Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:56 PM

Airman Basic

• 1519 battles
  • [LOAC] LOAC
I have just started playing WOW this month. I feel I'm getting the hang of the game is really enjoying playing it,,,,UNTIL. I played a tier II game where 2 people are teamed up and they are clearly elite players. It is not fun playing when there is no chance to win. 4 times i played and 3 of the 4 times the score was 0 to 400. Something should be done to allow these player to play people more their skill level, they have premium planes which out perform the stocks planes and they are very good players. If you want to encourage new comers than let them have a chance to learn how to win and have fun too. I did try and get 2 of the guys from my clan in warship to come fly with me. When they played a game they said they could not get the hang of it. Well if you are blown out of the sky when you spawn in your base it is not very enjoyable. I now have up to tier 5 planes so my friend and I just quit playing that tier when we see them playing.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #2 Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:15 PM

Captain

• 1116 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostCapt_Pepper, on 13 September 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

I have just started playing WOW this month. I feel I'm getting the hang of the game is really enjoying playing it,,,,UNTIL. I played a tier II game where 2 people are teamed up and they are clearly elite players. It is not fun playing when there is no chance to win. 4 times i played and 3 of the 4 times the score was 0 to 400. Something should be done to allow these player to play people more their skill level, they have premium planes which out perform the stocks planes and they are very good players. If you want to encourage new comers than let them have a chance to learn how to win and have fun too. I did try and get 2 of the guys from my clan in warship to come fly with me. When they played a game they said they could not get the hang of it. Well if you are blown out of the sky when you spawn in your base it is not very enjoyable. I now have up to tier 5 planes so my friend and I just quit playing that tier when we see them playing.

I know most of the good players that are farming tokens and dailies would love to team up with you

start a note pad...

I'd be glad to flight with you...

most people in this forum that need to farm for a few games would also

we live for the challenge

:playing:

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

SpiritFoxMY #3 Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:11 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4683 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
Tier 5 is going to be painful this weekend with everyone farming points for the leaderboard.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Wombatmetal #4 Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1141 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
I will be flying this weekend, tiers 3 & 5 (FW57 and Beaufighter). Look me up

losttwo #5 Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:08 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 4959 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

soon you will be playing like its going in and out of style.

Its guaranteed to make you smile

But let me introduce to you the player you've known for years

Acr Botlistic lonely pilots club band.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #6 Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:21 AM

Captain

• 1116 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Postlosttwo, on 13 September 2019 - 11:08 PM, said:

soon you will be playing like its going in and out of style.

Its guaranteed to make you smile

But let me introduce to you the player you've known for years

Acr Botlistic lonely pilots club band.

:facepalm:

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

hoom #7 Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9120 battles

Block Quote

UNTIL. I played a tier II game where 2 people are teamed up and they are clearly elite players.

Yes, the problem is the Daily missions for Tokens: you need to complete them in all 3 Periods (T1-4, T5-7 & T8-10) in order to earn the Tokens.

It forces experienced players to play a bunch in low-tiers to get the reward even if we'd rather play in higher tiers.

There have been a bunch of good ideas for how the Token missions can be reworked to avoid that but no particular sign of WG moving to implement any of them which is a shame.

A bunch of us try to stick to playing T4 for those missions to minimise the 'clubbingness but even then it can feel plenty bad.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Wombatmetal #8 Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1141 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Posthoom, on 13 September 2019 - 09:24 PM, said:

Yes, the problem is the Daily missions for Tokens: you need to complete them in all 3 Periods (T1-4, T5-7 & T8-10) in order to earn the Tokens.

It forces experienced players to play a bunch in low-tiers to get the reward even if we'd rather play in higher tiers.

There have been a bunch of good ideas for how the Token missions can be reworked to avoid that but no particular sign of WG moving to implement any of them which is a shame.

A bunch of us try to stick to playing T4 for those missions to minimise the 'clubbingness but even then it can feel plenty bad.

It's not just that; it's much easier to scavenge mechanical parts in quantity at low level. 

I don't like the token mission system much. New players can't earn tokens as they don't have T8 yet. They could buy one but that's not a great solution IMO. Would love to see the system reworked. 

There are some unique plane experiences to be had at low tier.  Like the HA 137 or P38 Wilk. That's a tough call. I will say when I came back a few weeks ago I played low tier to work of the rust, but I did not play my Xp 31. That's clubbing 

Stygian_Alchemist #9 Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 10701 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
I love my low-tier planes.

I hate flying them against actual newbies. Oh.. look.. I got 30k points and they have less than 2k because every time they left spawn and headed somewhere I killed them because oh look.. not many places to travel to at T2/3.

WG encourages high-level veteran players to play low tiers for specific parts salvage and for their "daily quest" system (if that's not a misnomer from heck I dunno what is). WG Encourage high level veteran players to play low tiers during events. WG, in essence, seems to think its funny to encourage high level players to run around as low level twinks who decimate anyone new trying to play. In short, as far as I can tell, the entire of WG's properties are specifically designed to slowly attrition-style drive their player bases to extinction. 

It does -not- take a genius to figure out that new players don't want to deal with twinked out planes and that it's massively disheartening/discouraging. No one comes online to play a video game they can't win at who is a normal human being and all the "veteran" advice of "GET A FLIGHT PARTNER" is such do-nothing horse crap to protect their ability to seal club it's like a politician making a campaign promise. If the automated flighting system where you can pick up a partner was the automatic queue mode or at least shown as a focus/etc. that might help, but otherwise? Trying to find a flight partner when you -first- start is not as simple as everyone plays at. Especially if you don't get to play 24/7 where you can just pick up any time for the 2-3 oldsters willing to fly with you. 

So, thank you Capt_Pepper for bringing this up. Hopefully WG will start listening and come up with a solution.

Captain_Underpants53 #10 Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:07 AM

Captain

• 22342 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostStygian_Alchemist, on 14 September 2019 - 03:10 AM, said:

I love my low-tier planes.

I hate flying them against actual newbies. Oh.. look.. I got 30k points and they have less than 2k because every time they left spawn and headed somewhere I killed them because oh look.. not many places to travel to at T2/3.

WG encourages high-level veteran players to play low tiers for specific parts salvage and for their "daily quest" system (if that's not a misnomer from heck I dunno what is). WG Encourage high level veteran players to play low tiers during events. WG, in essence, seems to think its funny to encourage high level players to run around as low level twinks who decimate anyone new trying to play. In short, as far as I can tell, the entire of WG's properties are specifically designed to slowly attrition-style drive their player bases to extinction. 

It does -not- take a genius to figure out that new players don't want to deal with twinked out planes and that it's massively disheartening/discouraging. No one comes online to play a video game they can't win at who is a normal human being and all the "veteran" advice of "GET A FLIGHT PARTNER" is such do-nothing horse crap to protect their ability to seal club it's like a politician making a campaign promise. If the automated flighting system where you can pick up a partner was the automatic queue mode or at least shown as a focus/etc. that might help, but otherwise? Trying to find a flight partner when you -first- start is not as simple as everyone plays at. Especially if you don't get to play 24/7 where you can just pick up any time for the 2-3 oldsters willing to fly with you. 

So, thank you Capt_Pepper for bringing this up. Hopefully WG will start listening and come up with a solution.

:medal:   Spot on.  Unfortunately they haven't seen fit to listen up till now and I believe this is one of the most frequent subjects on the forum.  Doesn't make sense, does it?

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

gerr22 #11 Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:50 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 4712 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
if you see me in game send an invite i will flight up with you but i am average however if you are on the other side you are fair game

Toggle #12 Posted 14 September 2019 - 12:31 PM

First Lieutenant

• Alpha tester
  • 4625 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postgerr22, on 14 September 2019 - 09:50 AM, said:

if you see me in game send an invite i will flight up with you

DON'T DO IT!  Its a trick!  :unsure:

cobra_marksman #13 Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7044 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostToggle, on 14 September 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

DON'T DO IT!  Its a trick!  :unsure:

He's right, they don't team up with newbies,:(..:ohmy:..:sceptic:

You'll just bring down their win / loss ratio, if they were to team up with you.:facepalm:

They all say that they don't but they really.....do ..... enjoy Seal Clubbing. :izmena:

Just kidding...hit them up , to improve your enjoyment of the game.

Capt_Pepper #14 Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:23 PM

Airman Basic

• 1519 battles
  • [LOAC] LOAC
Well I just got done playing tier 2 and lost all three games. score was enemy 400 and we were still in the 2 digits. I am not saying to keep the elite players from playing low tiers. I just think if a player gets 15000 points in a game and the other team's team high score is 3000, then perhaps that elite player should go to a tier 2 group that has other players who has won similar games that high. Each time i play it seem I get the same players and the same elite players are on the same team. I want to improve the game but it is very discouraging for a new player. 

SpiritFoxMY #15 Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:55 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4683 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Well, if its any help, when I first started I didn't really worry about winning or losing - I just kept track of the number of points I scored each battle and aimed to improve my average score per battle starting out at 5k average then moving up to 7k and eventually aiming at about 10k average. From my experience, the finer details only start to matter once you're regularly scoring between 7k - 8k points on average. Any less than that then you're still missing some of the basics.

There are three basic ways to earn points - shooting down other planes, blowing up ground targets and capturing sectors. Just focus on this trifecta taking note of what works and what doesn't (like, is strafing ground targets with my guns working? Why am I not gaining points from blowing up buildings). Eventually you'll get a feel of how to improve your individual performance. Once you're regularly contributing to a team (7k - 8k average) you can start thinking about the details.

Some basic thoughts:

1. Do something different if something is getting you killed. Don't keep trying the same thing repeatedly. You can worry about winning strategies later

2. Study plane compare and match your airplane's stats against those of your most common enemies. This will give you an idea of where your strengths and his weaknesses lie

3. While these videos are about War Thunder, I personally found them an excellent foundation to understanding what's going on

As I said, until you're regularly putting in 7k - 8k games, you're not being much use to the team so forget winning - just focus on your fundamentals and I would suggest trying out a few different styles of plane until you find one that seems to work for you then play the hell out of that. Again, all this is stuff that worked for me so YMMV.

If you need any additional advice or help, just ask. Most of us here are a friendly bunch as long as you approach the game with an open mind and a willingness to learn.

Good luck and see you in the skies :honoring:

Edited by SpiritFoxMY, 14 September 2019 - 04:21 PM.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

trikke #16 Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:12 PM

Captain

• 3462 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

it's ridiculous that this game is designed to force high time pilots down to beginner tiers, just to complete missions

and to get high-value mechanical parts, ffs

we've all submitted reasons why WG shouldn't do this...  now help me think of the possible reasons why they chose that path

How does this benefit them?   Does it make more money for them, somehow?   That has to be the reason, but how?

could it just be something deeper in the psyche?   

Are fair play rules designed to benefit new folks against some kind of Slavic code of honor?     I could see that, possibly

If anyone reads the RU forum, are there topics like this over there,too?

daily missions and the scarcity of mech parts in mid-high tiers are fairly new decisions, overall, so there's a chance for adjustment

please, WG...   you've got a great game here, please support new players a bit more?     Try something...  let NA be the testbed?

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Captain_Underpants53 #17 Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:27 PM

Captain

• 22342 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
You are already a leg up over the average new guy.  You are on the forums seemingly listening to some very good advice from vets.  Have patience.  Experience helps immensely and you don't have much yet.    :great:
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Capt_Pepper #18 Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:35 PM

Airman Basic

• 1519 battles
  • [LOAC] LOAC
Ok, this may sound like I'm bragging but I really am not. I am consistently in the top 5 players at the end of a game. I picked up the game really fast and I like playing it. Sure it is nice to win but what I am saying is to play 4 games and your team get massacre,,score 0 to 400, or score 33 to 400. That isn't a game, the one side never had a chance. The one side is so over balanced with elite players that I hardly get to play before get shot down by an elite player in a premium plane. That it happens once in a while is one thing but 3 out of 4 time does seem to be right. I knew right from the start of my third game it was going to be a massacre because the same players were on the other side each time. At the end of the forth game I stop playing and switch to a different tier.

trikke #19 Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:44 PM

Captain

• 3462 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
having fun is more important than winning
Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

NovaTempest #20 Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:11 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6187 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCapt_Pepper, on 13 September 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

I too would be more than willing to flight up with you. Its nice to have someone that has the know-how to help keep reds in check to a degree for you so you have time to get the hang of things.

Flighting with experienced players is also actually a really good way to pick up skills / strategies. I sucked with GA's at first but learned enough to become decent, that is until I flighted up with NA's ground attack expert, LMG a few times. I learned a ton from him and have become a solid GA player now, owning a tier 9 and tier 7 GA. I still credit him for that.

I can tell you right now that with how you've approached this problem by bringing it up here in the fashion you did, you're going to get pretty far in the long run - Assuming you choose to stick around and persevere over the "getting wiped" games, they happen to the best of us too sometimes (even on the winning side, which can make you feel sorry for the players on the other team).

One other thing i would bring up is to look into discord - if you don't have it and don't want to use it, thats fine - but a good number of the vets of this game chill out there and there are plenty of players that are in the server on there for WoWP. Just a recommendation.

Edited by NovaTempest, 14 September 2019 - 07:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users