Bots Gameplay AI Derp Fails

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

NovaTempest #1 Posted 13 September 2019 - 04:52 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6187 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
So a thought came to mind, one that might be interesting to see snowball:

If any of you here are Redditors and know of the subreddit "r/softwaregore", consider this akin to what you see in that subreddit, except revolving entirely around weird/silly/derpy/magic bot behaviour.

Aside from HF bots ignoring player bombers at T10 being under 1000m, aside from Bot GAs crashing into sections of ground targets on plants and command centers or suddenly having the gonads to shoot at planes with their forward guns, aside from bot planes being able to fly at altitudes player versions of said planes could hardly dream of, and aside from headhunter bots and the magical things ADAs do... etc...

So to put it bluntly, the point of those who decide to post in this thread will be to answer this question:

"What are the strangest things you have ever seen bots in WoWP do?"

I myself have a perfect example, though the full details are hazy, i recall enough to recount the event sufficiently:

This match in question was put in a map on Cold Peak. I know for a fact T8's were involved, but not the other tier as it was a while ago. This bot in question was a I-260.

I had just respawned and was going to aid in flipping the middle, I believe i was in either my J7W1, Yak-9U, or a light fighter.

As I approach, this enemy bot I-260 is being chased by at least two allied planes, i believe one was a bot, another a human, with an ADA and another bot nearby turning on this I-260. Just as I get within 1000 meters of this I-260, this madlad of a bot does an evasive barrel-roll on the planes chasing it - and I kid you not - Mid-way through this maneuver it fires a single shot of its sniper cannon in my direction.

this shot hit... and it downed my plane...

my hatred of bot snipers grew tenfold that day...

I wish I had replays enabled, I would have left a recording of the event up here, but unfortunately I have a laptop considered a semi-potato nowadays, and It did not cross my mind to take any screenshots. :(

Needless to say I now obliterate I-260s and sniper bots in general whenever they get near me. A "No sniping zone" policy.

pyantoryng #2 Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:12 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2097 battles

You got owned by Potap.

Once in my J7W3 I fought tooth and nail to salvage a match...I had to go and down the last enemy myself because the bots couldn't come down to get it...but that was some time ago and I can't remember it clearly anymore...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Deciballistic #3 Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:16 PM

Master Sergeant

• 4690 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

View PostNovaTempest, on 13 September 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

This match in question was put in a map on Cold Peak. I know for a fact T8's were involved, but not the other tier as it was a while ago. This bot in question was a I-260.

I had just respawned and was going to aid in flipping the middle, I believe i was in either my J7W1, Yak-9U, or a light fighter.

As I approach, this enemy bot I-260 is being chased by at least two allied planes, i believe one was a bot, another a human, with an ADA and another bot nearby turning on this I-260. Just as I get within 1000 meters of this I-260, this madlad of a bot does an evasive barrel-roll on the planes chasing it - and I kid you not - Mid-way through this maneuver it fires a single shot of its sniper cannon in my direction.

this shot hit... and it downed my plane...

my hatred of bot snipers grew tenfold that day...

Similar scenario of a bot enemy plane being attacked, but instead of the bot plane sniping me with a cannon to the face, it hit me with a rocket.

Captain_Underpants53 #4 Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:55 PM

Captain

• 22324 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

I had a bot get Hero of the Skies in a match yesterday.  Scary.

:hiding:

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

ClosedCoffin #5 Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:06 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8147 battles
  • [MRCS] MRCS

Well Nova, this incident may qualify for your subject.

A bot Tu-10 bomber chases down my RB-17 and kills me with his forward firing 23mm cannons.

I'd never seen this behavior from a bot bomber before and it caught me off guard.

I should have continued to try and out run him but I was sure he would break off the chase and get back to his real job

of being a bomber lol.

Captain_Underpants53 #6 Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

Captain

• 22324 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostClosedCoffin, on 14 September 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

Well Nova, this incident may qualify for your subject.

A bot Tu-10 bomber chases down my RB-17 and kills me with his forward firing 23mm cannons.

I'd never seen this behavior from a bot bomber before and it caught me off guard.

I should have continued to try and out run him but I was sure he would break off the chase and get back to his real job

of being a bomber lol.

Yes, I've been seeing that bot behavior as well.

Evidently they aren't too motivated to get a good score.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

NovaTempest #7 Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:38 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6187 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 14 September 2019 - 02:33 PM, said:

Yes, I've been seeing that bot behavior as well.

Evidently they aren't too motivated to get a good score.

This particularly is an "oddity" I have only seen in the Russian bombers if bots get behind the steering column of them. I think it is likely because they have enough maneuverability, speed, and actually have forward firing armament that the bots will sometimes have amnesia and think they are flying a cruddy heavy fighter or something. This also happens in A-26B bots but they do not have as much maneuverability, so they behave a bit more like "ballsy GAs" with their armament, and it is also rather rare.

Edited by NovaTempest, 14 September 2019 - 07:38 PM.

trikke #8 Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

Captain

• 3462 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

we like to warp the game during our Saturday Night Live training rooms, and I'll never forget seeing eight IL-10s climbing way high in the distance, trying to shoot at the BEM bomber flights

I had forgotten which team was attack and defend, and I had stuck those poor buggers on defense

As we drew closer, the ILs abandoned the bombers and came at us!   They were 2 tiers higher than we were, and they chewed us up!

We had 6 human pilots and they had 8 veteran bots, and we lost that battle, but man that was fun!

Stop by our training room battles, every Saturday at 9:30 EDT.  Jump into Discord and join us in Flight 2

Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Bluegoose02 #9 Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:07 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 4882 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Why did they make bots able to do stuff that an expert human can not do? It's beyond getting old.

Digital_Jesus #10 Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:18 PM

Senior Airman

• 5030 battles
  • [A_C_E] A_C_E

I've seen this twice:

I'll be following and targeting a red ADA when another red ADA (may have been a red bot with a name) gets in between the 2 of us and it shoots down the ADA I was targeting

Also tagged with Bots, Gameplay, AI, Derp, Fails

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users