Russian Bombers

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Nachthexen_Tribute #1 Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:40 PM

Master Sergeant

• 54 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

Hello all. Glad to be here. :honoring:  I am a guy honoring the Russian women who flew as the Night Witches.

It is my intention to grind up the Rusian bomber line.  I know nothing of them, so if you would please direct me to the discussion threads for the tier 3 on up, I would be grateful.

I would also like to know if there are any clans specifically for bombers, or a group of bomber pilots in a specific clan.  Need all the help I can get.

At present, the load out for an SB would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nach

Edited by Nachthexen_Marina, 11 September 2019 - 11:52 PM.

hoom #2 Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8333 battles

All the guides & reactions stuff is from before the Bomber-seeking-missile Heavy Bots.

You will be hunted relentlessly from the 2min to Squall Line mark whether you go high or low.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Nachthexen_Tribute #3 Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:53 PM

Master Sergeant

• 54 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Posthoom, on 11 September 2019 - 05:51 PM, said:

All the guides & reactions stuff is from before the Bomber-seeking-missile Heavy Bots.

You will be hunted relentlessly from the 2min to Squall Line mark whether you go high or low.

Acknowledged. Thanks!  So, let's start here, then. What would be a good load out for the SB, and should I fly her high high to try to stay away from the reds?

Also, I specialized the plane as soon as I bought it. 

Nach

Edited by Nachthexen_Marina, 11 September 2019 - 11:58 PM.

SpiritFoxMY #4 Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:38 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4585 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

Early bombers don't have a lot of options. I usually use Uprated Engine, Cockpit Armor, Reinforced Airframe, Gunners Sight and Strengthened Hard points depending on what equipment slots are available.

My rationale of Uprated over Armor is Speed. Bombers rely on speed to be effective (otherwise you're just a weaker Ground Attack) so picking the engine improvement increases your ability to get to targets faster while the additional HP from Reinforced Airframe keeps you alive longer. Bombers have an inherent expiry date so that extra bit of HP keeps you in the game just a little longer.

For the pilot, it's Demolition Expert, Cruise Flight and the Engine Gurus. For Russian bombers in particular I tend to use Battle Tested because their lack of an Airframe Consumable means you're vulnerable to having your control surfaces shot off with no means to fix them. That can lead to embarrassing moments like flying straight into a mountain

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

Nachthexen_Tribute #5 Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:47 AM

Master Sergeant

• 54 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 11 September 2019 - 06:38 PM, said:

Early bombers don't have a lot of options. I usually use Uprated Engine, Cockpit Armor, Reinforced Airframe, Gunners Sight and Strengthened Hard points depending on what equipment slots are available.

My rationale of Uprated over Armor is Speed. Bombers rely on speed to be effective (otherwise you're just a weaker Ground Attack) so picking the engine improvement increases your ability to get to targets faster while the additional HP from Reinforced Airframe keeps you alive longer. Bombers have an inherent expiry date so that extra bit of HP keeps you in the game just a little longer.

For the pilot, it's Demolition Expert, Cruise Flight and the Engine Gurus. For Russian bombers in particular I tend to use Battle Tested because their lack of an Airframe Consumable means you're vulnerable to having your control surfaces shot off with no means to fix them. That can lead to embarrassing moments like flying straight into a mountain

Thanks Fox.  Got the guru, will work on the demo expert.  The rest of it I actually did almost exactly what you suggested so maybe my logic is correct.  The  SB is doing great right now, but I have not been up against very many humans and not been uptiered yet.

Picked up the LBSH to do some pilot training acceleration, also.

Nach

Edited by Nachthexen_Marina, 12 September 2019 - 12:49 AM.

Dru83 #6 Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:15 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3377 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Nach, the Russian bomber line is interesting because the tier 3 and 4 have a different play style from the tier 5 and 6. The SB and AR are good mid to high altitude bombers. Just fly in high and slow and hit the big targets. I find it helps to fly just below the yellow altitude band when traveling between caps to keep your speed up and then pull up to higher altitude to stay away from fighters while bombing. The good news is at low tiers, the amount of aircraft that can climb up to get you is a pretty short list. Other than Fw-57s, BF-110s, and Bf-109bs, and heavy defense planes, there's not much that can climb above 5,000 ft.

The tier 5 and 6 Pe-2s are more like dive bombers. They are good at speeding through a cap to take out one or two targets and then getting out again before the enemy can react. They're not as good at destroying large amounts of targets, but they're great at quickly flipping caps.

The LBSH is probably your best option for training up crews. The BSH-1 is a pretty fun premium GA, but at tier 3, it can't get tokens for first medal of the day so you're probably better with the LBSH.

Nachthexen_Tribute #7 Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:20 AM

Master Sergeant

• 54 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

Dru, that's good stuff. Thanks lots. Following this thread to refer back to it.

How is that tier 8 premium bomber for training crews compared to the LBSH?  I feel safer with the LBSH because I can fly it well, not so sure about that t8 premie.

Nach

Captain_Underpants53 #8 Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:40 AM

Captain

• 21598 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostNachthexen_Marina, on 11 September 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

Hello all. Glad to be here. :honoring:  I am a guy honoring the Russian women who flew as the Night Witches.

It is my intention to grind up the Rusian bomber line.  I know nothing of them, so if you would please direct me to the discussion threads for the tier 3 on up, I would be grateful.

I would also like to know if there are any clans specifically for bombers, or a group of bomber pilots in a specific clan.  Need all the help I can get.

At present, the load out for an SB would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nach

I find the Russian bombers, in general, to be a little harder to play well but that might very well be because of my play style.  The RB-17 is an absolute joy, though.  All of them are very much dependent on getting to Spec.  Makes them much more effective.  Invite sent.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Wombatmetal #9 Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1140 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostNachthexen_Marina, on 11 September 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

Dru, that's good stuff. Thanks lots. Following this thread to refer back to it.

How is that tier 8 premium bomber for training crews compared to the LBSH?  I feel safer with the LBSH because I can fly it well, not so sure about that t8 premie.

Nach

here's a good vid for PE2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeOzix9tMus 

Nachthexen_Tribute #10 Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:57 AM

Master Sergeant

• 54 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostWombatmetal, on 11 September 2019 - 07:42 PM, said:

Enjoyed the vid, thanks Wombat.  Looks like I have been aiming the bombs wrong.  I was putting both the crosses over each other, then releasing when the thing changed color.  He puts the reticle ahead, lines up the drop, then releases at color change.  I have been hitting well, guess either way works.

Nach

Wombatmetal #11 Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1140 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostNachthexen_Marina, on 11 September 2019 - 05:57 PM, said:

Enjoyed the vid, thanks Wombat.  Looks like I have been aiming the bombs wrong.  I was putting both the crosses over each other, then releasing when the thing changed color.  He puts the reticle ahead, lines up the drop, then releases at color change.  I have been hitting well, guess either way works.

Nach

Carpet bombers aim different. They have a different reticle, and when it hits the edge of the compound with the targets on the approach it's time to release. And wait for all the bombs to tumble out before you turn. But that's not Russian I don't recall, haven't done the higher tier Russians yet. But when you do get a carpet bomber, that's how it works 

Captain_Underpants53 #12 Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:41 AM

Captain

• 21598 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

I had to go back and check my SB loadout.  I have all 23 bombers and I don't fly all of them most days.   :(    Anyway, the SB is one of the few bombers I use the bomb sight on instead of the strengthened hardpoints.  The bomb reload time is only 35 seconds and the bombs are much more effective.  The plane is faster, also.   :teethhappy:

I also like demo expert as the very first skill and I don't use the engine gurus..I feel the 5 points work better with protection expert, aerodynamics expert, and a firefighting skill.   Good luck!

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

qu33kKC #13 Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7211 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

obligatory link.

https://www.youtube....h?v=C7NSUFDHFgg

Nachthexen_Tribute #14 Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:01 PM

Master Sergeant

• 54 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Postqu33kKC, on 12 September 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

That is absolutely an obligatory link. Thank you.  Going to add that to my Amazon definitely

Nach.

NovaTempest #15 Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5704 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
To the OP, I'd also keep in mind that - if i am not mistaken - a majority of Russian bombers have forward firing guns as well, keep that in mind as a trick up your sleeve, possibly as a way to take care of enemy bombers if they're low on HP, as long as there isnt a LF or HF around. Just a little heads up.

Edited by NovaTempest, 12 September 2019 - 03:59 PM.

CorvusCorvax #16 Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:29 PM

Captain

• 4011 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostWombatmetal, on 12 September 2019 - 01:42 AM, said:

The one thing Monkey doesn't do here is the one thing that the Pe-2 is REALLY GOOD at doing:  Dive bombing.  You can absolutely just light up a target when dive bombing with this plane.  With the extra speed gained from the dive, you can get out of the cap area faster, and avoid HFs better.  The Pe-2 M-82 is VERY fast, when you give it the full treatment.

losttwo #17 Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:21 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 4502 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

another Porkins...I miss Porkins.

He specialized in getting thunders in GA

Nachthexen_Tribute #18 Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:20 PM

Master Sergeant

• 54 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

I am making notes, as in copy/pasting this excellent info.  I am still flying the SB, but have purchased and almost researched completely the next one.  I intend to get to where I think I am proficient in the SB, then will move on to the next. 

Thank you!  Keep it coming!

Nach

Edited by Nachthexen_Marina, 12 September 2019 - 07:20 PM.

qu33kKC #19 Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 7211 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostNachthexen_Tribute, on 12 September 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

That is absolutely an obligatory link. Thank you.  Going to add that to my Amazon definitely

Nach.

mp.  Sabaton is a new favorite of mine.  I'd also recommend "Primo Victoria" and "Bismarck" (with special effects by WarGaming) and "Resist and Bite" for sheer awesome.   Their meme-song "Winged Hussars" rides the fine line between power-metal bombast and cheese.  "Aces in Exile" is also apropro to the game, but isn't as good of a song (imho) as Night Witches.  (but brill in the history aspect.)

Nachthexen_Tribute #20 Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:35 PM

Master Sergeant

• 54 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

Flying the tier 5 Pe-2, and what a ride!  I am able to, with its speed, actually get away from a chaser, turn on him, and DOG FIGHT kill him.  Nothing but fun. Doing a decent amount of ground target damage also.

About "dive bombing."  Are you saying to start diving on a sector, press shift to get the sites where it levels out and stops diving, drop the load(s), hit shift again and scurry away?

Nach

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users