Fall Campaign

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Sink_Stuff #21 Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 342 battles

View PostblindfoId, on 10 September 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

If you take a look at the previous events of this type you can see that every player could've got into the rating if he'd simply made a particular number of battles. Even not all positions are usually taken, here - 20 and 23 positions out of two top-30, here - 11-13 and 30 out of three top-30, here - 17 and 16 out of two top-30. My point is, that every such event players say "I can't do this anyway so I won't even try" and we cannot give away all rewards we were ready to give. Simply because of the thought "Well, it's not for me, it's too hard/ I'm not good enough" when you needed to simply play 10-15 battles in three days. That's it. You don't have to sit in front of your computer 24/7 or play every battle with 30 000 Personal Points, just play a particular amount of battles on the listed aircraft and you'll be on the list. It is really that simple, it's checked and verified. 

Of course, I cannot make you participate if you are not interested, it's purely your choice. Still, such a perception is quite upsetting.

"Upsetting Perception"? What are you talking about? I'm simply pointing out reality. Here is the reality that you won't tell people. Only 30 people are going to even be able to earn the Goblin plane. These same 30 people are also basically going to earn half the other prizes as well. The flat reality here with this event is that you want to limit the rewards while trying to appear to players as if anyone can earn a Goblin or other tier 8 premium plane.

When the Dunkirk event happened anyone could earn the hurricane or BF 109 e3 fighters. You simply just had to put in the time and try not to fail. They were great planes that anyone could earn. Here, you have limited almost all the rewards to 30 players. Hey fine, if you want to only reward the top players in the game or the most grindy players in the game fine, but don't sit here offering a three month campaign to everyone as if it even remotely applies at all to everyone. 

For 90% of your players this entire event is a complete waste of time for them. But of course you won't see this until the second month into this event when the majority of players finally do some calculations and realize that they are completely wasting their time. Some will figure this out just after this one weekend and then they will post on the forums the complaints on how this event mostly excludes 90% of the player base. 

The bigger question that you haven't answered yet is why? Why do this? Those 30-50 top players have already told you that they have most of these planes and rewards already. Why? Because they are the same players who always win these "Top Player" garbage events. So why do them?

1. Your not going to bring players back to the game for long with this event as they quickly figure out that they won't make it.

2. Other players will feel jaded because they aren't going to calculate properly that they won't get anything until after they wasted a lot of time trying.

So why are you doing this? Do you simply want to pat the most dedicated players on the back once again? Is that it? Are they the only players you care about? It seems that way doesn't it? And i bet you sit there wondering sometimes why no one comes back to this game. I bet you sit there saying, "It's newb friendly 2.0 with bots, where is everyone?" I bet you still haven't yet figure out why people don't bother to play this game. That is completely obvious. But you are helping nothing at all with an event that only caters to the top 30 players that already have everything anyway. So what did you hope to gain by this. 

I'm going to bet right now that you don't get at all what you want. That after this first month, most players don't even bother with this. I am even going to predict that in the third month of this event you have actually lost players more than gained. But it's going to be hard for me to prove these claims since you now hide your low player numbers from everyone now huh? 

For 90% of the tiny amount of players that still play this game this event is a complete waste of their time. Hopefully I'm wrong. But by my calculations I am right. 

blindfoId #22 Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Administrator
  • 8 battles

I've explained what this event exactly is, I linked all the previous similar events for you. This one grants rewards for everyone who gets to the top at least once and that is really simple for the reasons explained earlier. The Goblin is a grant prix and it is natural that not every player will have it. This event is a purely entertaining activity with some sweet rewards for those who'd like to take part and I'm sure most players who are interested in it will play as usual just picking planes that cater for a particular event. 

For those who are not interested in the activity, we'll introduce other missions and marathons. Follow the news and stay tuned.

Stygian_Alchemist #23 Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 10154 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostSink_Stuff, on 10 September 2019 - 07:55 AM, said:

"Upsetting Perception"? What are you talking about? I'm simply pointing out reality. Here is the reality that you won't tell people. Only 30 people are going to even be able to earn the Goblin plane. These same 30 people are also basically going to earn half the other prizes as well. The flat reality here with this event is that you want to limit the rewards while trying to appear to players as if anyone can earn a Goblin or other tier 8 premium plane.

When the Dunkirk event happened anyone could earn the hurricane or BF 109 e3 fighters. You simply just had to put in the time and try not to fail. They were great planes that anyone could earn. Here, you have limited almost all the rewards to 30 players. Hey fine, if you want to only reward the top players in the game or the most grindy players in the game fine, but don't sit here offering a three month campaign to everyone as if it even remotely applies at all to everyone. 

For 90% of your players this entire event is a complete waste of time for them. But of course you won't see this until the second month into this event when the majority of players finally do some calculations and realize that they are completely wasting their time. Some will figure this out just after this one weekend and then they will post on the forums the complaints on how this event mostly excludes 90% of the player base. 

The bigger question that you haven't answered yet is why? Why do this? Those 30-50 top players have already told you that they have most of these planes and rewards already. Why? Because they are the same players who always win these "Top Player" garbage events. So why do them?

1. Your not going to bring players back to the game for long with this event as they quickly figure out that they won't make it.

2. Other players will feel jaded because they aren't going to calculate properly that they won't get anything until after they wasted a lot of time trying.

So why are you doing this? Do you simply want to pat the most dedicated players on the back once again? Is that it? Are they the only players you care about? It seems that way doesn't it? And i bet you sit there wondering sometimes why no one comes back to this game. I bet you sit there saying, "It's newb friendly 2.0 with bots, where is everyone?" I bet you still haven't yet figure out why people don't bother to play this game. That is completely obvious. But you are helping nothing at all with an event that only caters to the top 30 players that already have everything anyway. So what did you hope to gain by this. 

I'm going to bet right now that you don't get at all what you want. That after this first month, most players don't even bother with this. I am even going to predict that in the third month of this event you have actually lost players more than gained. But it's going to be hard for me to prove these claims since you now hide your low player numbers from everyone now huh? 

For 90% of the tiny amount of players that still play this game this event is a complete waste of their time. Hopefully I'm wrong. But by my calculations I am right. 

I'm up voting you for the literal lol, not because I agree with anything you said.

MARS_REVENANT #24 Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:05 PM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 5526 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA
Seems like another event handing out points for quantity and not quality.  So it will just go to the people that play the most.  So even if you do everything right and play a lot, you wont get the top prize becasue there are people that just play more and not better.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

TWITCH  |  YOUTUBE  |  FACEBOOK  |  TWITTER

Captain_Underpants53 #25 Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:06 PM

Captain

• 21598 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Nobody is making anyone play.  Nobody cares if he decides to quit playing or participate in getting free stuff.  All these excuses as to why it is a waste of time are to conceal the fact that he simply is not good enough and he knows it.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Wombatmetal #26 Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 1140 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
You know what? I'm not good enough to make the top 20 on any of the planes. I know that. But one thing I learned in WoT is the shot that always misses is the one that's never taken. So yeah, I'll be giving it a shot. What's there to lose?

Captain_Underpants53 #27 Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:34 PM

Captain

• 21598 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostWombatmetal, on 10 September 2019 - 04:30 PM, said:

You know what? I'm not good enough to make the top 20 on any of the planes. I know that. But one thing I learned in WoT is the shot that always misses is the one that's never taken. So yeah, I'll be giving it a shot. What's there to lose?

Exactly!   :medal:

What if SS got his fondest wish?  Instead of whining about not having enough time to play (hardly WG's fault, BTW) he would be whining about some other thing keeping him from his 'deserved' rewards.  Suppose they reduced it to one battle, winner take all.  He would have the time and be able to compete, according to his post. But with a less than 50% win rate, his chances are not much better than mine of getting a hot night of passion with the hottest new actress in Hollywood, whoever she is these days.

It's just excuses and I'm sure he can think of many more to whine about.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

losttwo #28 Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:53 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 4502 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostSink_Stuff, on 09 September 2019 - 07:28 AM, said:

Can't

Average players do not deserve to win anything

There can only be 1 winner the rest are just participatory canon fodder.

View PostSink_Stuff, on 09 September 2019 - 12:45 PM, said:

Understand

Come on back we need the target practice

View PostSink_Stuff, on 09 September 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

Normal

Yes it is the top 20 players with out a defeatist attitude that deserve a tier 9 premium plane

View PostSink_Stuff, on 10 September 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

Thinking

It is all about playing a game and trying to get to the top.

Its a game not an investment that you can retire on.

Certainly not a job.

How much money do you make playing this game anyway.

Bet you spend more than you earn with it.

You either try or you don't. No reason to be a defeatist about it nor really care and whine about it.

If your computer stopped working would the goblin be sitting in your garage to show of to your friends and neighbors.

Would it make your significant other be so over joyed that you won it instead of putting food on the table.

Or date night.

Don't let WG take away your red stapler and move you to the basement.

BuffaloTime #29 Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:19 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 11726 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View Postlosttwo, on 10 September 2019 - 05:53 PM, said:

Average players do not deserve to win anything

There can only be 1 winner the rest are just participatory canon fodder.

Come on back we need the target practice

Yes it is the top 20 players with out a defeatist attitude that deserve a tier 9 premium plane

It is all about playing a game and trying to get to the top.

Its a game not an investment that you can retire on.

Certainly not a job.

How much money do you make playing this game anyway.

Bet you spend more than you earn with it.

You either try or you don't. No reason to be a defeatist about it nor really care and whine about it.

If your computer stopped working would the goblin be sitting in your garage to show of to your friends and neighbors.

Would it make your significant other be so over joyed that you won it instead of putting food on the table.

Or date night.

Don't let WG take away your red stapler and move you to the basement.

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Damon Runyon

Demons run when a good man goes to war.

Deciballistic #30 Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:02 AM

Master Sergeant

• 4327 battles
  • [I_D] I_D

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 10 September 2019 - 03:05 PM, said:

Seems like another event handing out points for quantity and not quality.  So it will just go to the people that play the most.  So even if you do everything right and play a lot, you wont get the top prize becasue there are people that just play more and not better.

I originally thought this, but then I read the event again, especially this part:

Seize your chance to get onto the winners list for the highest number of Personal Points for destroying aerial targets over your 10 best battles or for the highest number of Personal Points for destroying aerial targets in any number of battles!

So it seems like it is a mixture of quality for part of it and quantity for the other part.  For the quality part, you technically could play the minimum number of battles and still win if you had good games.

Stygian_Alchemist #31 Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 10154 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
This is the first event I've seen that might actually be a -challenge- to get in the top echelon. Of course, there being two ways to do it (Through sheer attrition of # of games played) -or- skill (highest average across 10 games) also gives you double the shot at making it to the top tier, as you can only be on the win list for one form of win or the other....

I, for one, am glad to see WG stop handing out prizes to people not actually trying to win or play. *shrug* The "everyone gets a trophy" mentality of prior events seems to work for people like MARS, Sink, etc. though. *shrug* I've just never been a fan of participation prizes or events that cater -solely- to casuals as all the events this year so far have. 

Stygian_Alchemist #32 Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 10154 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostWombatmetal, on 10 September 2019 - 03:30 PM, said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This guy gets it.

My first few months in the game and I top-ten'd several events after thinking "I don't have the planes, the time, or the skill". Turned out I was wrong about my own estimation of lacking skill. Throw something at the wall and you're bound to get it to stick eventually!!

MARS_REVENANT #33 Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:51 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 5526 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostStygian_Alchemist, on 10 September 2019 - 07:37 PM, said:

This is the first event I've seen that might actually be a -challenge- to get in the top echelon. Of course, there being two ways to do it (Through sheer attrition of # of games played) -or- skill (highest average across 10 games) also gives you double the shot at making it to the top tier, as you can only be on the win list for one form of win or the other....

I, for one, am glad to see WG stop handing out prizes to people not actually trying to win or play. *shrug* The "everyone gets a trophy" mentality of prior events seems to work for people like MARS, Sink, etc. though. *shrug* I've just never been a fan of participation prizes or events that cater -solely- to casuals as all the events this year so far have. 

Where have I ever asked for a participation trophy?  Sit down son, ur in over your head.

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 11 September 2019 - 12:57 AM.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 11-03-2014

MARS_REVENANT #34 Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:54 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 5526 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostDeciballistic, on 10 September 2019 - 07:02 PM, said:

I originally thought this, but then I read the event again, especially this part:

Seize your chance to get onto the winners list for the highest number of Personal Points for destroying aerial targets over your 10 best battles or for the highest number of Personal Points for destroying aerial targets in any number of battles!

So it seems like it is a mixture of quality for part of it and quantity for the other part.  For the quality part, you technically could play the minimum number of battles and still win if you had good games.

Now that more details have been posted about an actual mission, it seems more related to skill.  At least for this first mission.

Stygian_Alchemist #35 Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 10154 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Mars, all you do is whinge and mug for a participation trophy as far as I can tell. You certainly don't fly... I mean.. you queue into matches and then drop them.. but that doesn't really count as flying....

You also can't manage to write a coherent comeback. "Sit down son, you're in over your head" isn't even related to anything that's been said here? Nor is it related to me in any capacity... I mean.. I'm the one with the catastrophic brain injury issues but you seem to be utterly incapable of grasping the reality around you or who people are :) 

I consider you an idle/bot player any time I see you in a match given that you've dropped at -least- the last 20 matches I've ever seen you in. Given that that's probably -all- the matches except one that I've seen you in, well.... *shrug*

MARS_REVENANT #36 Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:47 AM

Colonel

• Community Ace
  • 5526 battles
  • [WG-CA] WG-CA

View PostStygian_Alchemist, on 10 September 2019 - 08:29 PM, said:

M I mean.. I'm the one with the catastrophic brain injury issues 

. *shrug*

K

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 11 September 2019 - 02:51 AM.

hoom #37 Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8333 battles

Trying to figure this out as I write this post.

120 different players can get prizes & chevrons, 30 different players will get the top prizes because once ranked in their highest category they're excluded from the others.

If I fly:

12 battles in F4U-1

25 in Beaufighter

9 in Spitfire XIV

14 in A6M1

(score at least 3000 PP in each battle)

I'd get rewards and Chevrons for the best rank out of:

Period 2 Mastery ranking on the average PP for best 10 battles from either the F4U-1 or the Beaufighter, whichever had the best average.

Period 2 Perseverence ranking from the total PP for the combined 37 battles of F4U-1 and Beaufighter.

Period 1 Mastery ranking on the average PP for best 10 battles in the A6M1.

Period 1 Perseverence ranking from the total PP for all 14 battles in A6M1.

No Period 3 Mastery or Perseverence ranking because I didn't fly enough battles.

Even if my best ranking is only something like 40th I may still get chevrons & rewards because a bunch of people above me had their best ranking in a different category -> excluded from mine & I move up?

So it would make sense to play at least 10 battles with decent scores in each of the planes you have -> in contention for max number of categories.

Then spam the one you do best in as much as you can to maximise Perseverence rating & to ensure largest pool of scores for your top 10 to be taken from.

Question: If a players top rank is the same in 2 categories even after other players were excluded (eg a top player ranks 1st in 2 categories) how will you decide which one to count & which to exclude?

Mastery counts over Perseverence, higher Period over lower?

Edited by hoom, 11 September 2019 - 12:20 PM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Captain_Underpants53 #38 Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:38 AM

Captain

• 21598 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
My head hurts.    :(
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Stygian_Alchemist #39 Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 10154 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View Posthoom, on 11 September 2019 - 04:21 AM, said:

Trying to figure this out as I write this post.

120 different players can get prizes & chevrons, 30 different players will get the top prizes because once ranked in their highest category they're excluded from the others.

If I fly:

12 battles in F4U-1

25 in Beaufighter

9 in Spitfire XIV

14 in A6M1

(score at least 3000 PP in each battle)

I'd get rewards and Chevrons for the best rank out of:

Period 2 Mastery ranking on the best average PP for best 10 battles from either the F4U-1 or the Beaufighter, whichever had the best average.

Period 2 Perseverence ranking from the total PP for the combined 37 battles of F4U-1 and Beaufighter.

Period 1 Mastery ranking on the best average PP for best 10 battles in the A6M1.

Period 1 Perseverence ranking from the total PP for all 14 battles in A6M1.

No Period 3 Mastery or Perseverence ranking because I didn't fly enough battles.

Even if my best ranking is only something like 40th I may still get chevrons & rewards because a bunch of people above me had their best ranking in a different category -> excluded from mine & I move up?

So it would make sense to play at least 10 battles with decent scores in each of the planes you have to make sure you're in contention for max number of categories, then spam the one you do best in as much as you can to maximise Perseverence rating & to ensure largest pool of scores for your top 10 to be taken from.

Question: If a players top rank is the same in 2 categories even after other players were excluded (eg a top player ranks 1st in 2 categories) how will you decide which one to count & which to exclude?

Mastery counts over Perseverence, higher Period over lower?

Talk nerdy to me! 

Really though... You actually get it and this post has given me more hope for the game and this community than anything I've seen in a while! 

hoom #40 Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8333 battles

I got so into the working out I dusted off some other old neurons & made myself a spreadsheet to keep track of progress :child:

Even got it to automatically find my top 10 & average them :amazed:

I have the 4 planes I used for eg in above post so I can get in for all 6 categories.

But only the A6M1 is Specialised, none of them especially well optimised except maybe the Beaufighter which I prefer to run in its non-Specialised state.

Had to move a pilot back into the A6M1 & started the re-train.

Minor rework on the Spit XIV (why didn't I Specialise it yet?! :facepalm:) has improved it a bit, there is a lot of extra performance to get out of it but its starting from being a really great plane anyway.

F4U-1 is my most recent plane purchase, I've at least got it Elite but I'm sad I stayed away from it for so long on basis of some complaints I read early on because its really good or will be once Specialised, its got no Engine slot not even a consumable :( still pretty good as-is though :)

Edited by hoom, 11 September 2019 - 02:43 PM.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users