WASP (WOMEN AIRFORCE SERVICE PILOTS) BOOK

WASP book

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Captain_Underpants53 #1 Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:34 PM

Captain

• 21422 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

I just finished reading THE FLIGHT GIRLS, a book about the WASP program in WWII.  While too heavy on the romantical carp and too light on the history, I enjoyed it immensely.  If you like bodice rippers or stories that bring tears to your eyes, this is it.  While not as much of the history was included for my taste (the author forgot to consult with me) it is a good review of military aviation in WWII.  Recommended!

:great:

P.S.  There is absolutely no truth to the rumors that I might have shed a tear or two reading it.  Just sayin'.

MSgt, USAF, (ret)

Deciballistic #2 Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:03 PM

Master Sergeant

• 4245 battles
  • [I_D] I_D
I visited the EAA museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin this past weekend and there was a small section dedicated to those women.  Interesting reading what they did and from my interpretation from the museum's writing on them...they kind of got hosed when they were disbanded until later on when they were given the recognition they deserved.

GonerNL #3 Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1050 battles

I ran into this while looking up the P-63 Kingcobra yesterday :

Air Transport Command ferry pilots, including U.S. women pilots of the WASP program, picked up the planes at the Bell factory at Niagara Falls, New York, and flew them to Great Falls, Montana and then onward via the Northwest Staging Route through Canada to Alaska, where Soviet ferry pilots, many of them women, would take delivery of the aircraft at Nome [12] and fly them to the Soviet Union over the Bering Strait via the Alaska-Siberia route (ALSIB). 

Until now I thought the pilots only ferried planes from factory to airfields in the US, but this sounds more adventurous !!

Flying on NA and EU servers

gerr22 #4 Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:23 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 4644 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
there is a doccie called spitfire and in this woman ferried spits and other planes from factory to basis in England the documentary is also very good

Also tagged with WASP, book

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users