Jump to content


Some info that I wish new players could understand.


  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

SpiritFoxMY #21 Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:10 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 4574 battles
  • 2,543
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    12-31-2012

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 03 September 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

Yesterday I was in a battle together with (unfortunately) a guy in a Tier VI Premium.  He managed to somehow claw his way to #12.  We lost (duh).  I checked his profile and he had 3 whole battles and a zero % win rate.  Did I mention his Premium was a LF and he spent the whole battle shooting ground targets?  He showed that as his one and only plane.  I know they will never do it because money but I sure wish they would require a certain amount of battles before going beyond Tier IV.  I dread the day when they release Tier IX and X Premiums.

 

:hiding:

 

To be fair, there're people on this forum with over 2000 games who I have encountered attacking Mining Plants in a Spitfire Ia


***

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end


SkyWolf__WM #22 Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:20 PM

    Captain

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 8045 battles
  • 4,472
  • [GW__S] GW__S
  • Member since:
    07-13-2012

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 02 September 2019 - 11:10 PM, said:

 

To be fair, there're people on this forum with over 2000 games who I have encountered attacking Mining Plants in a Spitfire Ia

 

If My side is taking a Mine and I've killed all the bad guys, on occasion, instead of leaving I "help" the GAA and bombers by killing AA guns with whatever I happen to be flying. Cause' I do what I want.  :unsure:


***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.


CorvusCorvax #23 Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 3979 battles
  • 4,015
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 03 September 2019 - 04:03 AM, said:

Yesterday I was in a battle together with (unfortunately) a guy in a Tier VI Premium.  He managed to somehow claw his way to #12.  We lost (duh).  I checked his profile and he had 3 whole battles and a zero % win rate.  Did I mention his Premium was a LF and he spent the whole battle shooting ground targets?  He showed that as his one and only plane.  I know they will never do it because money but I sure wish they would require a certain amount of battles before going beyond Tier IV.  I dread the day when they release Tier IX and X Premiums.

 

:hiding:


If I'm in a slow LF and at the plant defending GAA, if there are no red planes, I'll shoot at ground targets.  Especially if I plan on escorting the GAA out of the cap zone.  But that's NOT what you're talking about, and we all know it.  It's the guy solidly in 9-12th place on the team, in his T8 premium LF, doing EVERYTHING but what's the correct thing for LF pilots to do.  He doesn't understand that covering the GAA tail benefits him so much more than zapping a couple of unarmored GT segments, or that if he hangs around too long, he's going to help turn the capture clock toward the red...

There is/was a T9 premium - the Gobling.  When I first got it, I did not understand exactly how fast T9 was.  I didn't know anything about the planes I went up against.  I only did anything at all because I understood how the game works (capture zones), and because if I was always turning, the plane is a very hard target.  Getting shot down twice in the same battle by a Me-262 HGII was my revelation that I needed to get my tail in gear and move up the German HF line.



dfyreman #24 Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:58 PM

    Airman Basic

  • Member
  • 833 battles
  • 3
  • Member since:
    10-19-2012

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 19 August 2019 - 01:09 PM, said:

:medal:   Good advice.  I would add that learn the role of the plane you are flying.  In other words, I don't care what tier you fly, that light fighter does not do well against ground targets, no matter what guns it has.

 

BTW, any newcomers who actually take the time and have the interest to read the forums is already a couple of steps ahead of those who don't.


I'd like to add that people should read and study what the role of each plane is. I keep seeing P38's trying to carry out low and mid level fighter tasks, fighters and multi role fighters trying to carry out high flyer, heavy fighter tasks. Yesterday, while flying at 7000 feet, I noticed a bomber and went to work. I was then shot down by someone (on my team no less) in a spitfire claiming that I was leeching his kills from him by shooting down bombers. I won't mention any names here but he spells it BOA_Prus0(BOA). He went on for an hour and threatened me with shooting me down every chance he gets (same team included) because he was going for a medal. My advice was for him to stay in his lane. That said, I am fairly new to the game (about a month) and can see why so many people walk away. Keep a cool head. There's no need to expletively nerd rage like that. I tried to understand his position and he raged even further. 

 

 As a matter of coincidence, he had 6 assists. I had one. I am assuming that "assists" are when someone helps destroy a target? Does the first person still get the credit for the kill?



dfyreman #25 Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:04 PM

    Airman Basic

  • Member
  • 833 battles
  • 3
  • Member since:
    10-19-2012

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 03 September 2019 - 04:10 AM, said:

 

To be fair, there're people on this forum with over 2000 games who I have encountered attacking Mining Plants in a Spitfire Ia


Not to mention a Spitfire I at 7000 feet trying to compete with a p38 knocking down bombers.



dfyreman #26 Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:15 PM

    Airman Basic

  • Member
  • 833 battles
  • 3
  • Member since:
    10-19-2012

View Postpyantoryng, on 02 September 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

There's one thing I got to wonder since last night...when do players know that planes start to get flaps and what those do...


 Just as soon as they realize they have "settings"...lol



wylleEcoyote #27 Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:29 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 5002 battles
  • 780
  • [ALAS] ALAS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

Dearest Newcomers.

Here i sit at time of writing, with just a little bit under 577 hrs and 32 minutes "flight" time in this game. Spread out over 5000 battles across the almost 2 years it has been since version 2.0 came out.
For the new guys out there that those numbers mean nothing to ... I have been; and still am, what most would call a Filthy Casual.

I have spent most of that time flying German and American planes.
I have 29 german planes in my hanger that run from tier 2 all the way to tier 10.
And for most of that time rushing to the top; my win rate was in the low to mid 40% and briefly even in the 30's.. 
It was about as bad as you can get without actively trying to do worse. Until i really got a handle on how to make Boom&Zoom work.
I then took to flying heavies in general; and german GAA in particular, like a duck to water.

Mean while I have been taking my sweet time with the americans.
Currently unlocked all the american airplane lines. And even have in my hanger one or two from each of them.
Thunderbolts, Lightnings, Corsairs, Mustangs, even a B-17.  Out of 15 planes in the hanger.

Not a single American plane is over tier 6.

And I am still having a great time flying almost all of these Planes.

and once i settled down and learned to love them other good stuff happened. 
My winrate improved by almost a third and is now above 50% and climbing steady (if slowly) with similar improvement to my other stats over the past year or so. 

All this and I am still a Filthy Casual

TL;DR?
Dont rush to the top. Most of the fun happens on the way to getting there.

Your wing man in spirit,
wylleEcoyote

Edited by wylleEcoyote, 09 September 2019 - 05:34 AM.

Fair warning. My success rate at speculative guesswork is very hit or miss. Usually I start on the right track and then a make a weird left turn and get lost in the weeds ... 
And yet it doesn't stop me from speculation.
Specialist Planes i have:
USA: XP-31, Model 81A-1, P-40, P-51A, P-39N-1, XF15C,
F11C-2, F4F, P-47B,

P-38 F/J,  XP-58 

USSR: Tu-1  UK: DH.100 F1. Japan: not even once. France: SE 100
Germany: Fw 56, He 112, Fw 190 A-1 / A-5 / D,
Bf 109 B / E / E-3, Me209v4, Me209 A,
Do 17 Z, He 111 H2, Do 217 M,
Hs 123, Ha 137, Hs 129 A, Ju 87 G, Me 265, Me 1099 B-2, 
Bf 110 C-6, Me 410, Do 335 A-1,


WhoaBlackBetty #28 Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:29 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 259 battles
  • 116
  • [X3M] X3M
  • Member since:
    10-01-2015

View PostwylleEcoyote, on 08 September 2019 - 11:29 PM, said:

TL;DR?
Dont rush to the top. Most of the fun happens on the way to getting there.

Your wing man in spirit,
wylleEcoyote

 

 

THAT.  Win% worrying and fast plane collecting can suck the fun right out.

 

WBB



Wombatmetal #29 Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:02 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 1099 battles
  • 1,013
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    06-02-2013
Worrying about win % is the number 1 fun sucker in my book. I wish I could care less about it.

Rushing up doesn't help. Hone your skills, build up some credits. You'll need them

Stygian_Alchemist #30 Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:51 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 9977 battles
  • 1,820
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    10-08-2018
I've been noticing mass #s of newbies at high tier in specialist planes... who have no business flying those planes.

Won't say I'm thrilled with that, because I'd be lying (if most of them knew what they were doing we'd have another conversation in fact).... If I had one piece of advice to give newbies: Stay out of the high tiers until you can do something other than fly in and die repeatedly or miss 9/10 targets you aim at. Unlike others, I won't say "OH! LOW TIERS HELPS SO MUCH!" because that's... strictly speaking.. wrong as far as I am concerned.

Use the training room. Use it ad nauseum. Especially when you make the switch from prop to jet/or are t8+. Jets and high speed high tier planes are NOT something that lower tiers will -ever- prepare you for as far as I am concerned.. but please don't make yourself or others suffer through your teething. Find a flight partner, use the training room, or preferably do both. I used the training room ad nauseum and dissected replays non-stop. It helped, lots.

I'm just tired of racking up 15-20k points and working my tail off.. only to look over and see a noob at sub-2k points with 6+ deaths -this match- and a 40% win-rate who's telling me _I_ suck. It's not that I don't try to direct or help or give tips either... but that's the other thing.. If you're a newbie with a 40% win rate.. something else I'd like you to know: If you scream obscenities at a veteran player and they find you on the enemy team later.. expect your day to be utterly ruined. Don't do that. Pretty simple logic.. don't make water in the cheerios of the players who can eat you for a light snack.

Captain_Underpants53 #31 Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:00 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 21423 battles
  • 3,048
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    04-17-2017

View PostStygian_Alchemist, on 13 September 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

I've been noticing mass #s of newbies at high tier in specialist planes... who have no business flying those planes.

Won't say I'm thrilled with that, because I'd be lying (if most of them knew what they were doing we'd have another conversation in fact).... If I had one piece of advice to give newbies: Stay out of the high tiers until you can do something other than fly in and die repeatedly or miss 9/10 targets you aim at. Unlike others, I won't say "OH! LOW TIERS HELPS SO MUCH!" because that's... strictly speaking.. wrong as far as I am concerned.

Use the training room. Use it ad nauseum. Especially when you make the switch from prop to jet/or are t8+. Jets and high speed high tier planes are NOT something that lower tiers will -ever- prepare you for as far as I am concerned.. but please don't make yourself or others suffer through your teething. Find a flight partner, use the training room, or preferably do both. I used the training room ad nauseum and dissected replays non-stop. It helped, lots.

I'm just tired of racking up 15-20k points and working my tail off.. only to look over and see a noob at sub-2k points with 6+ deaths -this match- and a 40% win-rate who's telling me _I_ suck. It's not that I don't try to direct or help or give tips either... but that's the other thing.. If you're a newbie with a 40% win rate.. something else I'd like you to know: If you scream obscenities at a veteran player and they find you on the enemy team later.. expect your day to be utterly ruined. Don't do that. Pretty simple logic.. don't make water in the cheerios of the players who can eat you for a light snack.


:medal:

 

On the other hand, they do make nice targets.   :playing:


MSgt, USAF, (ret)

SkyWolf__WM #32 Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:10 PM

    Captain

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 8045 battles
  • 4,472
  • [GW__S] GW__S
  • Member since:
    07-13-2012
For the last couple of days I haven't felt well enough to help noobs flying tier 7 with 35 battles. I just look at them and shake my head.  :(
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.


Captain_Underpants53 #33 Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:50 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 21423 battles
  • 3,048
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    04-17-2017
I have given up on edumicating newbies.  Too frustrating.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

CorvusCorvax #34 Posted 13 September 2019 - 04:40 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 3979 battles
  • 4,015
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostCaptain_Underpants53, on 13 September 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

I have given up on edumicating newbies.  Too frustrating.


You say:  "Hey, if you're not making more than 5000 personal points in a battle, you should fly some in the training rooms to get a feel for the plane, and what it can do."

 

It works, sometimes.

 



NovaTempest #35 Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:02 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 5548 battles
  • 258
  • Member since:
    12-06-2013

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 03 September 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:


If I'm in a slow LF and at the plant defending GAA, if there are no red planes, I'll shoot at ground targets.  Especially if I plan on escorting the GAA out of the cap zone.  But that's NOT what you're talking about, and we all know it.  It's the guy solidly in 9-12th place on the team, in his T8 premium LF, doing EVERYTHING but what's the correct thing for LF pilots to do.  He doesn't understand that covering the GAA tail benefits him so much more than zapping a couple of unarmored GT segments, or that if he hangs around too long, he's going to help turn the capture clock toward the red...

There is/was a T9 premium - the Gobling.  When I first got it, I did not understand exactly how fast T9 was.  I didn't know anything about the planes I went up against.  I only did anything at all because I understood how the game works (capture zones), and because if I was always turning, the plane is a very hard target.  Getting shot down twice in the same battle by a Me-262 HGII was my revelation that I needed to get my tail in gear and move up the German HF line.


Depending on how long ago this was... this could potentially have been me. I vaguely recall dealing with a gobling once or twice in my HG II at some point over its 45+ hour time in the skies... and still growing.

back to the point, im not sure how newbies get the idea that LF's are supposed to indiscriminately shoot at ground targets like described here. Maybe they think if GA's can do it so can they? Regardless, my heart sinks at our odds when I see a player - who's name I am not familiar with - do this...


Edited by NovaTempest, 13 September 2019 - 05:03 PM.


CorvusCorvax #36 Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:57 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 3979 battles
  • 4,015
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostNovaTempest, on 13 September 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:


Depending on how long ago this was... this could potentially have been me. I vaguely recall dealing with a gobling once or twice in my HG II at some point over its 45+ hour time in the skies... and still growing.

 


I could have been - I was seriously terribad.  I was not really a good turnfighter back then - and everything moves SO FAST at T9 that you have no time to just lazy-fly around.  DON'T buy up to a tier you haven't played. <-[ultimate lesson here]



Captain_Rownd #37 Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:25 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1876 battles
  • 844
  • Member since:
    09-28-2015

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 13 September 2019 - 06:40 AM, said:


You say:  "Hey, if you're not making more than 5000 personal points in a battle, you should fly some in the training rooms to get a feel for the plane, and what it can do."

 

It works, sometimes.

 

 

  I hover around 5000 - depends on whether somebody else is pwn1ng me hard or not.  :ohmy:


Specialist planes:

SPAD S.510 :: P-40 :: MiG-3 :: A6M1 :: XP-44 :: Fw 190 A-5 :: Me 209 V4 :: Venom :: Caudron C.714 :: Ki-88 :: Wirraway :: Tomahawk IIb :: TsKB I-7 :: Ki-5 :: F2A-1


Captain_Rownd #38 Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:27 PM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1876 battles
  • 844
  • Member since:
    09-28-2015

View PostWombatmetal, on 09 September 2019 - 10:02 AM, said:

Worrying about win % is the number 1 fun sucker in my book. I wish I could care less about it.

Rushing up doesn't help. Hone your skills, build up some credits. You'll need them

 

  It's so nice that Warplanes doesn't have full stats, so we can avoid the stat-peeper toxicity that kills the fun in Tanks. 

 


Specialist planes:

SPAD S.510 :: P-40 :: MiG-3 :: A6M1 :: XP-44 :: Fw 190 A-5 :: Me 209 V4 :: Venom :: Caudron C.714 :: Ki-88 :: Wirraway :: Tomahawk IIb :: TsKB I-7 :: Ki-5 :: F2A-1


CorvusCorvax #39 Posted Yesterday, 04:46 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 3979 battles
  • 4,015
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 13 September 2019 - 10:27 PM, said:

 

  It's so nice that Warplanes doesn't have full stats, so we can avoid the stat-peeper toxicity that kills the fun in Tanks. 

 


Oh, there are some folks here that think stats are some sort of magic microscope into skillset.tools, or lack thereof.



CorvusCorvax #40 Posted Yesterday, 04:48 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 3979 battles
  • 4,015
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostCaptain_Rownd, on 13 September 2019 - 10:25 PM, said:

 

  I hover around 5000 - depends on whether somebody else is pwn1ng me hard or not.  :ohmy:


If you're in a completely stock plane that you've never played, and you're getting used to it, a few flights in the training room help give you an idea of how it flies.  Then, flighting up with someone who can cover you while you get your first few modules.  It helps, A LOT.






2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users