Need soft stats help on Japanese MRF.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

CorvusCorvax #1 Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:54 AM

Captain

• 3986 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Specifically the higher-tier planes flown by bots.  I have been in a few games lately where my light fighter, even at low speeds (but still in the optimum) are getting out-turned by at-tier Japanese MRF.  Now, in general, I use my German fighters well into the yellow altitude of those MRF, so I don't often have too much trouble with them there.  But even at low altitude, with my Ta-152 having LWWF and LWPP, plus ADE on my pilot, if I'm in the white airspeed range, I SHOULD be able to gain ground on the Japanese MRF.  At the very least, not lose ground and be able to turn enough so that at some point I can reverse, drop the hammer and get out of Dodge.  These MRF have been getting guns on in less than 360 degrees.  That's Spitfire/Zero/Yak turn territory, (in the 80/90 range on the stat scale).  And, because they are bots, those 30s don't miss.

What soft stat are they exploiting that I can counter?  Yes, stay out of their white altitude area, but that only works if I don't find myself having to get down into the mud to shoot at some GAA or low-flying ADA.  Can't hide in the clouds the whole battle, right?

SpiritFoxMY #2 Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:14 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4578 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
I only have observations but I suspect they have really strong controllability even at low speeds so even when they're stalling out they remain fully responsive and with the way the game's maneuverability mechanic works that means that their 360 turn time is absurd even when they're in the red. 

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

hoom #3 Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8238 battles

They just always seem to be ridiculously high altitude, going slowly and turning when I see them.

They appear to turn tight because they are too high -> really slow.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas le SerB.

Captain_Underpants53 #4 Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:55 PM

Captain

• 21464 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
I suspect it's just more of the same.  Bots given super abilities beyond what a player can get.  I suppose it's to make up for their lack of intelligence.   Watching bots speed away from the range of my turret guns with crit engines and wings gets old.
MSgt, USAF, (ret)

CorvusCorvax #5 Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:55 PM

Captain

• 3986 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostSpiritFoxMY, on 16 August 2019 - 05:14 AM, said:

I only have observations but I suspect they have really strong controllability even at low speeds so even when they're stalling out they remain fully responsive and with the way the game's maneuverability mechanic works that means that their 360 turn time is absurd even when they're in the red. 

I was hoping that wasn't the case, but I was fearing just that answer.  So, my next experiment is working the vertical.  IIRC, they don't have a ton of boost, so I might be able to exploit that with loop and roll. I have gotten into a scissors situation with them before (vertical and horizontal, both) where I was able to get position, but the energy retention of the Ta-152 makes this a problem in the horizontal or descending scissors fight.

If I were fast enough to get away from those cannons, I'd drag them up to their yellow altitude.  I guess that's the thing that gripes me the most - the auto-aim, and they never fail to crit. 

SpiritFoxMY #6 Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4578 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 16 August 2019 - 10:55 PM, said:

I was hoping that wasn't the case, but I was fearing just that answer.  So, my next experiment is working the vertical.  IIRC, they don't have a ton of boost, so I might be able to exploit that with loop and roll. I have gotten into a scissors situation with them before (vertical and horizontal, both) where I was able to get position, but the energy retention of the Ta-152 makes this a problem in the horizontal or descending scissors fight.

If I were fast enough to get away from those cannons, I'd drag them up to their yellow altitude.  I guess that's the thing that gripes me the most - the auto-aim, and they never fail to crit. 

Be careful - desert has mentioned on Discord that the W3 with a G-Suit can handle decently well all the way up to 2200m, I would assume that means the tier 9 and 8 could manage 2000m easy before they start freezing up. Its climb rate is supposedly poor although again, this is anecdotal and I honestly wouldn't try staying in a fight with them.

Personally, my play is if I don't kill them in the first pass, then put the nose down and hit the boost out of there. This applies even when they're freezing up at their redline since, like you, I've found that even as they're stalling out, they can still turn on a dime and eviscerate you. At the minimum it means disengaging far enough that I can use my speed to make a wide loop back around to finish them off. In something like the Ta 152 or Ho 229, I don't see any other logical play.

But a truce to this mournful story

For death is a distant friend

So here's to a life of glory

And a laurel to crown each end

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users