Jump to content


What do people mean by “2.0”?


  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

RingZero #1 Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:22 AM

    Airman Basic

  • Member
  • 174 battles
  • 6
  • Member since:
    05-30-2014
I’ve seen several posters mentioning that they were coming back to the game from pre-2.0.  What does that mean and what’s different in the game between 1.XX and 2.0?

Dru83 #2 Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:27 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 3323 battles
  • 286
  • [X3M] X3M
  • Member since:
    03-27-2016

2.0 refers to a game variant that made a big change in the way the game works. We are currently in version 2.1.0.4. Before 2.0 things were quite different. There were no respawns, no conquer mode, no taking over capture points, no healing your plane, no reloading your bombs and rockets, etc.



WhoaBlackBetty #3 Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:37 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 259 battles
  • 116
  • [X3M] X3M
  • Member since:
    10-01-2015

There were three different kinds of pre 2.0.  There was the fun and amazing 15 vs 15 HUMAN pilots (can you even imagine?) version where you HAD to know your plane's strengths and weaknesses.  Then there was THAT version where WG ran off almost everyone and you waited 20 plus minutes for a 3 vs 3, a 2 vs 2, or even a 1 vs 1.  Then there was the version where the dumbest bots in the history of AI were introduced.

 

Then there was 2.0.

 

WBB



CorvusCorvax #4 Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:57 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 3979 battles
  • 4,015
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostWhoaBlackBetty, on 16 August 2019 - 12:37 AM, said:

There were three different kinds of pre 2.0.  There was the fun and amazing 15 vs 15 HUMAN pilots (can you even imagine?) version where you HAD to know your plane's strengths and weaknesses.  Then there was THAT version where WG ran off almost everyone and you waited 20 plus minutes for a 3 vs 3, a 2 vs 2, or even a 1 vs 1.  Then there was the version where the dumbest bots in the history of AI were introduced.

 

Then there was 2.0.

 

WBB


Yeah, that second 1.x version was where I took a long break.



RingZero #5 Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:06 AM

    Airman Basic

  • Member
  • 174 battles
  • 6
  • Member since:
    05-30-2014
Thanks for the explanation.  Since I only started a week ago, it’s hard to imagine actually having a game with 100% people all the time.  At most, I’ve seen 3 humans per side every so often.

trikke #6 Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:15 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 3371 battles
  • 3,287
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

welcome to the game, and the various forums

 

here's where you learn things to try out in there


Spittoon says #smarterpilotswinmore

Bubba_Zanetti #7 Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:16 AM

    First Lieutenant

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 4636 battles
  • 2,382
  • [DRACS] DRACS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostRingZero, on 15 August 2019 - 08:06 PM, said:

Thanks for the explanation. Since I only started a week ago, it’s hard to imagine actually having a game with 100% people all the time. At most, I’ve seen 3 humans per side every so often.

 

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/55311-bubbas-trip-down-wowp-v123-memory-lane/page__fromsearch__1


 

“The sad truth is that the one thing around here is that we can always rely on is broken promises”& WarMagic the Scattering- Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo █ If a company can't handle the truth based on pixelated facts then they shouldn't be in this industry to begin with. Or stop overreaching at areas where they obviously lack the resources to make a sucess (WOWP)” - ArrowZ_  As it is, this “upgrade” is totally misdirected and completely ignores all player feedback over the past few years.  How this studio continues on with the parent company is a total mystery to me.” - Bobby_Tables  The only thing that will fix this game is for the developers to right click and hit send to trash. - xPALEHORSEx  They've been around a good while and seen a lot of flak so they surely must know what they're doing by now. - Catch21  All wargaming has done in all their games across the board have been stupid and greedy ideas. They are failing as a company so hard. - Veraxu  Maybe Persha should avoid patches with the number 5 in them... - mnbv-fockewulfe  You put the bombsite behind a lock until you get specialist for your bombers? That's just stupid. - comtedumas  claiming victory by fixing your own problems isn't victory, it's low brow chicanery.- TheMadPizzler  Flying games generally don't have broad appeal, and this one has issues and the company tends to pour gasoline those issues, not fix them - _Laserguided_   “I go to RU and (rhymes with git) all over dumb Slavs to express my rage.” - Rando CA  If you want to sell someone a car, you let them take it for a test drive, you don't run them over with it. - Blast_Radius1  My quote + Your signature + Please = Thank You- Prenzlau  Feelings aren't stats, now shut up and go eat tide pods” - Noreaga  “The player online count was removed October 2017 and we don't have plans to return this number to be displayed. That is the decision of the developers team.”- blindfold  After a While it Becomes Tiresome (07.06.15)” - MALICE_AT_BIRTH  “Yes, we can have a place to report all the bugs and then watch as they all get ignored for 6 months” - Gang_Starr █ SonicPariah and blindfold might be listening to us, and sending our ideas along, but Persha sure isn't getting the message.” - CorvusCorvax  They just go on inventing new not-asked-for stuff before fixing what people clearly don't like ...”- GonerNL █ There is a difference between arcade and this roll your face on the keyboard simulator” - Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai  “The real question of the day: Is there room for one more quote in Bubba‘s signature? I certainly hope so.”- MelBrooks  They had to make some space for your signature” - Marsco  “It's the game.  And your signature is long enough to choke a horse. I thought mine was too large.”- SkyWolf_WM


WhoaBlackBetty #8 Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:24 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 259 battles
  • 116
  • [X3M] X3M
  • Member since:
    10-01-2015

View Posttrikke, on 15 August 2019 - 07:15 PM, said:

welcome to the game, and the various forums

 

here's where you learn things to try out in there

 

Yeah, what he said.  Welcome to WarPlanes dude, we are here to help in any way we can.  Questions on planes, gameplay, etc, ... ask away!

 

WBB



RingZero #9 Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:57 AM

    Airman Basic

  • Member
  • 174 battles
  • 6
  • Member since:
    05-30-2014

View PostWhoaBlackBetty, on 16 August 2019 - 01:24 AM, said:

Yeah, what he said.  Welcome to WarPlanes dude, we are here to help in any way we can.  Questions on planes, gameplay, etc, ... ask away!

 

WBB

 

Thanks for all the well wishes.  I’m still learning so I’d appreciate all the help I can get.  



WhoaBlackBetty #10 Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:10 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 259 battles
  • 116
  • [X3M] X3M
  • Member since:
    10-01-2015

I suggest getting into an active clan. Make a post in the proper forum and see who wants to train you up.  There are basics you need to know to enjoy and therefore stay on WoWP, and we all want you to stay dude.

 

WBB



Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #11 Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:24 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 1084 battles
  • 4,599
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
  • Member since:
    01-26-2014


if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.


SJ100 #12 Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:06 AM

    Senior Airman

  • Member
  • 3931 battles
  • 20
  • [-ES-] -ES-
  • Member since:
    11-22-2012

If I am correct I believe it was 1.8 when the game was good. Then 1.9 came and you got the product you have now.

My old clan is inactive and left. Along with many others.

 

My rant is bring back 1.8 . Oh ya deaf ears :)



WhoaBlackBetty #13 Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:02 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 259 battles
  • 116
  • [X3M] X3M
  • Member since:
    10-01-2015

View PostSJ100, on 15 August 2019 - 09:06 PM, said:

If I am correct I believe it was 1.8 when the game was good. Then 1.9 came and you got the product you have now.

My old clan is inactive and left. Along with many others.

 

My rant is bring back 1.8 . Oh ya deaf ears :)

 

Oh we would need to go back closer to 1.4 as close as we could get.  But we play what we have and enjoy as much as we can of it.  CorvusCorvax has always been right about it, pre 2.0 ain't coming back (unless we can increase population back to 1.4 or so levels, then maybe some).

 

WBB


Edited by WhoaBlackBetty, 16 August 2019 - 04:04 AM.


Stygian_Alchemist #14 Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:50 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 9977 battles
  • 1,820
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    10-08-2018
When I played 1.xx (which was before 1.9, wasn't here for that and I didn't play a lot pre 2.0 -or- on this account. I couldn't remember the login information when I got re-started with WG's products though, haha)... to me it was just a clone of War Thunder but with worse flight controls, worse graphics, worse community, less options, and a queue - to flying to get anywhere - to combat ratio that made the game mostly just sitting and waiting for something to happen and if you weren't flying -the- perfect meta planes? Fuggetaboutit. You were just so much meat to the grinder for people with perfect meta planes. The only learning curve from my view was keep spending 7+ minutes doing little to nothing but staring at your scree, just to die. Until somehow you were supposed to magically improve and know which planes were the "right" planes. The 2-tier split was just... <insert invective laden statement>. I don't care what anyone says.. it took a special sort of masochist to play 1.xx as far as I am concerned. Now it just takes a masochist of -some- stamp. ;) 

2.xx certainly is not perfect, but I feel like it's a far better base to build something good off of. It's literally the reason I came back and the current system is a lot of why I've stuck around instead of checking it out going "That's nice... boring.. but nice." and never logging back in after a couple days of playing.

Edited by Stygian_Alchemist, 16 August 2019 - 07:52 AM.


jack_wdw #15 Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:50 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 1931 battles
  • 570
  • Member since:
    09-28-2012
I started out in one of the first versions, which featured a battle with mixed tiers from 1 to 10. Flying an i-5 biplane, you would get shot out of the sky by sabres or migs. That version was really not playable. Then some improvements followed and 1.4 is considered the best version by many, followed by a steep decline. Lots of people left at 1.5, and until 1.9.x there was not much of real improvement. 1.9 was not that bad, but many people already left by that time. Most shortcomings from 1.5 were addressed in 1.9.
I definitely don't agree with worse controls, worse graphics or war thunder clone.
Controls (especially gamepad) were superior to 2.0, there were almost no bugs, flight model was superior compared to 2.xx, graphics are the same and bots were easier to control (the same bot control options they introduced at 2.1 were already implemented in 1.9). The only thing they should have addressed was the stupid bot stalling behaviour.

One thing really amazes me when i hear critics towards that version. I can't imagine people waiting for 7 minutes or longer after they were shot down in 1.x to start a new game.
To me it was an opportunity to take another plane in my hangar and start a new battle.
In that version i flew almost all aircraft in my hangar as to nowadays when i only fly 4 or 5 premiums all the time.
Can't really see where 2.x is a better base to build anything.
 

SkyWolf__WM #16 Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

    Captain

  • Closed Beta Tester
  • 8045 battles
  • 4,471
  • [GW__S] GW__S
  • Member since:
    07-13-2012
2.0 is here to stay. There will be no going backward. Learn to fly it and don't worry about pre 2.0 bovine fecal matter.  :B
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.


qu33kKC #17 Posted 16 August 2019 - 02:04 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 7166 battles
  • 408
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    10-14-2017

RingZero, welcome to WoWp!

 

I joined post 2.0, so no issues with what was before.  It's a fun game when it works, and that's what matters.  Have fun in the air!



CorvusCorvax #18 Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:06 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 3979 battles
  • 4,015
  • [OWSS] OWSS
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View Postjack_wdw, on 16 August 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

I definitely don't agree with worse controls, worse graphics or war thunder clone.
Controls (especially gamepad) were superior to 2.0, there were almost no bugs, flight model was superior compared to 2.xx, graphics are the same and bots were easier to control (the same bot control options they introduced at 2.1 were already implemented in 1.9). The only thing they should have addressed was the stupid bot stalling behaviour.
 

Agree.  The controls and flight model were better in 1.x.  I liked the part where if you dropped your external stores, you got your "clean" stats back.  That made it actually reasonable to fly a MRF, drop your rockets/bombs, then go mix it up.  The UI was MUCH better, and heavy fighters ruled the skies.  Oh, well that last part was my favorite part because I'm a heavy fighter guy, LOL.  Altitude actually mean something - you really did have to fly your plane in the right place and the right speed to get good results.  I was flying the P-36 in those days, and it actually did some pretty good work when you flew it properly.

I took a big break when 1.5 dropped.  1.4 really was the height of the title.  I play it now, but I prefer the fly mechanics and the UI of 1.X.  I do like the bombers and the more strategic nature of the new game, but making the flying more cartoony took some of the fun away.



Stygian_Alchemist #19 Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:52 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 9977 battles
  • 1,820
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
  • Member since:
    10-08-2018

View Postjack_wdw, on 16 August 2019 - 02:50 AM, said:

I started out in one of the first versions, which featured a battle with mixed tiers from 1 to 10. Flying an i-5 biplane, you would get shot out of the sky by sabres or migs. That version was really not playable. Then some improvements followed and 1.4 is considered the best version by many, followed by a steep decline. Lots of people left at 1.5, and until 1.9.x there was not much of real improvement. 1.9 was not that bad, but many people already left by that time. Most shortcomings from 1.5 were addressed in 1.9.
I definitely don't agree with worse controls, worse graphics or war thunder clone.
Controls (especially gamepad) were superior to 2.0, there were almost no bugs, flight model was superior compared to 2.xx, graphics are the same and bots were easier to control (the same bot control options they introduced at 2.1 were already implemented in 1.9). The only thing they should have addressed was the stupid bot stalling behaviour.

One thing really amazes me when i hear critics towards that version. I can't imagine people waiting for 7 minutes or longer after they were shot down in 1.x to start a new game.
To me it was an opportunity to take another plane in my hangar and start a new battle.
In that version i flew almost all aircraft in my hangar as to nowadays when i only fly 4 or 5 premiums all the time.
Can't really see where 2.x is a better base to build anything.
 

The seven minutes was including the ~5 minutes of queue time and the 2 minutes to fly to where you were able to do much useful -before- being shot down, so I'd save the amazement in my case. I was playing WT before WoWP came out or was a thing.. really felt like a -bad- clone to me at the time. Now days I can't say that and WT is a complete steaming pile of... anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I currently fly 20-30 aircraft per day and can't imagine poking at the same 4 or 5 and that's it. I'd have already quit the game, too ADD for that.

 

View PostCorvusCorvax, on 16 August 2019 - 09:06 AM, said:

 but making the flying more cartoony took some of the fun away.

See, I always felt like 1.xx and War Thunder both were me piloting a submarine through chilled molasses. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Not going to say the current physics model is perfect, but I do prefer it personally. The ordnance thing I do wish would come back.. but that's.. about it really. 


Edited by Stygian_Alchemist, 16 August 2019 - 03:52 PM.


WhoaBlackBetty #20 Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:49 PM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 259 battles
  • 116
  • [X3M] X3M
  • Member since:
    10-01-2015

Off topic:

 

Now THIS is how we discuss differing opinions and enjoy it. Well done.

 

That is all, carry on.

 

WBB






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users