My Profile Pic

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

WhoaBlackBetty #1 Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:49 PM

Master Sergeant

• 236 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

I found my pic doing a Google search, but now cannot find it again.  I am interested in finding info about it, had some but lost it.  Anyone know anything about this pin up girl or any history about the photo?

WBB

Attached Thumbnails

Edited by WhoaBlackBetty, 13 August 2019 - 02:50 PM.

SkyWolf__WM #2 Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:45 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7399 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
No. I made my avatar myself back when I was still capable of doing 3D modeling. If image search doesn't work then I dunno.  :(
***************Fail to Suck****************

I shall use my aircraft and my skill to slightly inconvenience mine enemies.

Sink_Stuff #3 Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 342 battles

View PostWhoaBlackBetty, on 13 August 2019 - 02:49 PM, said:

I found my pic doing a Google search, but now cannot find it again.  I am interested in finding info about it, had some but lost it.  Anyone know anything about this pin up girl or any history about the photo?

WBB

I used to be in photography and video as a job. From my preliminary search that looks like a modern photo and not a WW2 photo. There are many reasons for this

1. A women dressed like that and a camera man would never have gotten close to a plane like that until after the war, long after the war. 

2. The high contrast of the black and white image tells me that it is a more modern black and white film with higher contrast, not the older stuff that was more washed out.

3. In the late 60's and early 70's it was popular for a short time to take pictures of women on old WW2 planes. It was pin-up throwback art photography.

4. The style of the photo, pose of the model, and the bra she is wearing all look very modern to me. It looks like a push up bra, on a very skinny modern model, and there is no reason to throw in a bomber jacket on the girl at all except as modern art choice. A pin up girl of the period was trying to expose as much tastefully as one could in the 1940's so, they didn't go half covered and half uncovered. But a more recent photographer would just throw his own artistic style in the photo which tells you its a completely modern photo.

My guess is that this is a 90's to 2000's photo and not even worth trying to get any historical information on. As well, because it looks completely modern to me, that is probably why there is no historical info about this photo, because it isn't historical at all. 

WhoaBlackBetty #4 Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:25 PM

Master Sergeant

• 236 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

View PostSink_Stuff, on 13 August 2019 - 12:18 PM, said:

I used to be in photography and video as a job. From my preliminary search that looks like a modern photo and not a WW2 photo. There are many reasons for this

1. A women dressed like that and a camera man would never have gotten close to a plane like that until after the war, long after the war. 

2. The high contrast of the black and white image tells me that it is a more modern black and white film with higher contrast, not the older stuff that was more washed out.

3. In the late 60's and early 70's it was popular for a short time to take pictures of women on old WW2 planes. It was pin-up throwback art photography.

4. The style of the photo, pose of the model, and the bra she is wearing all look very modern to me. It looks like a push up bra, on a very skinny modern model, and there is no reason to throw in a bomber jacket on the girl at all except as modern art choice. A pin up girl of the period was trying to expose as much tastefully as one could in the 1940's so, they didn't go half covered and half uncovered. But a more recent photographer would just throw his own artistic style in the photo which tells you its a completely modern photo.

My guess is that this is a 90's to 2000's photo and not even worth trying to get any historical information on. As well, because it looks completely modern to me, that is probably why there is no historical info about this photo, because it isn't historical at all. 

Great info Sink, thanks.  I will stop the historical research on your word, then.  This also may be why I cannot find anything on it, as you said.

WBB

Sink_Stuff #5 Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:39 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 342 battles

View PostWhoaBlackBetty, on 13 August 2019 - 06:25 PM, said:

Great info Sink, thanks.  I will stop the historical research on your word, then.  This also may be why I cannot find anything on it, as you said.

WBB

In doing a little more research I think I may have found a possible source of the photo. Apparently some modern calendar and poster companies have been making pin up throwback photography for a long time. This one is called "Wings of Angels" and they have a book or calendar every year. I think this is more likely the source of your photo and possibly where you may be able to get a different or larger one for a signature, forum post, whatever. This also explains some of the artistic choices used in the photo.

1. We can understand now why the plane is as much in the photo as the girl is. As thowback art it needs to be clearly identified with the period. If you cannot tell what the plane is, then it misses half the point of the photo.

2. We can understand now why they wear bomber jackets and other period military wear, because the usual pinup girl of the period did not. However, the image does not harken back to WW2 as much without the period or military clothing also used in the modern image.

3. We can understand now why the models look modern in physique but are wearing some period underwear but other modern more appealing wear like a push up bra.

4. We can understand why the photo has much higher contrast than the black and white photography film of the actual period. It is because it is modern photography that is trying to still be very high quality for the customers who purchase it, so, they do not use photoshop treatments to make it look older and more washed out.

Edited by Sink_Stuff, 13 August 2019 - 06:53 PM.

Sink_Stuff #6 Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 342 battles

I think we are getting even closer now. In a search for Wings of Angels I found this photo that i believe is the actual plane in your original photo. Look at the similarity to the skyline background and the buildings in the background. I believe this is the same plane in both photos. I am going to stop my searching here because i am certainly convinced that this is the same plane at the same airport as your signature photo.

By the way this is a TBM Avenger plane, the photographer is Michael Malak, and I am sure if you do a final search for this photographer and this plane you will arrive at the original image.

WhoaBlackBetty #7 Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:18 PM

Master Sergeant

• 236 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

This is great stuff!  Looking for them now... Thanks again, enjoying this!

WBB

WhoaBlackBetty #8 Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

Master Sergeant

• 236 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Yeah, I keep seeing that same plane over and over. :D  Thanks again for your time, bud. Answers questions.

WBB

Stygian_Alchemist #9 Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 9213 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S
Here is the model: Little older than she was in that pic, but still. Took me a while of searching through blogs and etc. to find her.

https://www.facebook.com/texasblackbetty

Editing to add: And I think the photo you have is one used for a company called "Silky's Custom Printing" that she did a shoot for.

Edited by Stygian_Alchemist, 13 August 2019 - 08:56 PM.

Sink_Stuff #10 Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 342 battles

View PostStygian_Alchemist, on 13 August 2019 - 08:55 PM, said:

Here is the model: Little older than she was in that pic, but still. Took me a while of searching through blogs and etc. to find her.

https://www.facebook.com/texasblackbetty

Editing to add: And I think the photo you have is one used for a company called "Silky's Custom Printing" that she did a shoot for.

Good job. I knew this was a more recent image. Looks like the printing company did use it for their own marketing. Not sure if they were actually allowed too though, which is why you probably don't see the image much now. In this larger version of the image you can now see that the logo on the plane is indeed the same as the plane in the other photograph. So, yes it was the same plane most certainly.

Edited by Sink_Stuff, 13 August 2019 - 09:23 PM.

WhoaBlackBetty #11 Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

Master Sergeant

• 236 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Well LOOKIE at you guys!  Nicely done folks.  Liked her as soon as I saw her, decided to use her as my Black Betty, even though the song is most likely about a black powder flint-lock musket from the 1700s.   Thanks for your time and expertise.

WBB BAM a Black Betty LAM

Sink_Stuff #12 Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 342 battles

View PostWhoaBlackBetty, on 13 August 2019 - 09:27 PM, said:

Well LOOKIE at you guys!  Nicely done folks.  Liked her as soon as I saw her, decided to use her as my Black Betty, even though the song is most likely about a black powder flint-lock musket from the 1700s.   Thanks for your time and expertise.

WBB BAM a Black Betty LAM

http://pinupchillimarie.weebly.com/chillis-blog/chillis-top-20-black-pinup-models

Yep and apparently that photo shoot was indeed for a Wings of Angels photo shoot. So I had the company, the plane, and the type of photo. I just didn't have the rest. Nice job fellas, well done.

Edited by Sink_Stuff, 13 August 2019 - 09:37 PM.

Stygian_Alchemist #13 Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 9213 battles
  • [A-S-S] A-S-S

View PostSink_Stuff, on 13 August 2019 - 01:13 PM, said:

I think we are getting even closer now. In a search for Wings of Angels I found this photo that i believe is the actual plane in your original photo. Look at the similarity to the skyline background and the buildings in the background. I believe this is the same plane in both photos. I am going to stop my searching here because i am certainly convinced that this is the same plane at the same airport as your signature photo.

By the way this is a TBM Avenger plane, the photographer is Michael Malak, and I am sure if you do a final search for this photographer and this plane you will arrive at the original image.

Is it an avenger? I thought it was a T6 Texan from the photos and what I could find

Edited by Stygian_Alchemist, 14 August 2019 - 12:50 AM.

Sink_Stuff #14 Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:18 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 342 battles

View PostStygian_Alchemist, on 14 August 2019 - 12:50 AM, said:

Is it an avenger? I thought it was a T6 Texan from the photos and what I could find

Nope its the same avenger used in other pics with other models from the same company and photographer. The Texan plane has a large bulbous intake vent that would be plainly visible close to where the model is standing if it were a texan plane. As well, a texan didn't have a gunners turret on the back of it used in the same photo shoot with the same model but just in a different outfit that I already posted. 

GonerNL #15 Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1001 battles

Looking at the nose emblem, that Avenger was used in another shoot too :

https://www.escapecollectibles.com/wings-of-angels-pin-up-caitlin-in-red-malak/

Flying on NA and EU servers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users